• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portman

I cashed in some combat bands in the Empire event last night and was going to do some more before I had to head out of town but the conflict zones weren't showing up this morning. Hopefully the event will still be there when I get back Wednesday evening along with the one for the Alliance. I would've flown to it but packing for the trip won over travel time in game. :(

okay you know that feeling when you travel like 150LY to get to a station to pick up a piece of equipment...only to find out that piece of equipment was phased out of the game months ago and the wiki simply hasn't been updated?

ugh.

Zalusithix

But, at the same time, I kind of wonder what's going to come out of Star Citizen. From what I understand they're looking into making some kind of official high end controller, and really with the way people just throw money at that game I can't imagine that every serious peripheral maker wouldn't take a crack at something Star Citizen specific. What I'm getting at is that with the similarities in all the 6DOF stuff in these two games, it seems like the best ED controller is going to be something that's made for Star Citizen.

Unless CIG ever gets around to implementing toggle switches in Star Citizen, the ideal SC controller is still going to differ a bit from the ideal ED controller. Sure, anything that can be set for a hold state in ED can also be set to toggle, so it'd still work fine, but a bit less than ideal.

I've finally returned from a ~15,000LY round trip deep in the Perseus arm, out toward the Heart and Soul nebulae. On my way in, around 6,100LY out, I noticed a deep blue dot in the sky, much larger than any stars, and growing larger with each jump. I checked the galaxy map and found it nearby. It has a nebula label, though this is the first of its kind I've encountered. Not sure what's going on with it--remnants of a supernova? Star collision? There's a black hole at its center. While it appears tiny on the map (I suppose it is compared to most nebulae), it's absolutely massive and very luminous, casting blue light everywhere. Second picture is from 2.5LY away.
k5PYstA.png

UG9RbZi.jpg

Of course, I had to go inside. It's gorgeous in there. 50km from the hole:

Earned $12 million from the trip with fairly judicious surface scanning (mostly stars and gas giants, and of course any terrestrial/water worlds), nabbed a few original black hole discoveries (one was binary with a Herbig AE/BE star and had 10 other stars orbiting them with several gas giants, one with life, Gludgoea FG-Y G3... that system alone was worth about a million fully scanned).

One other pretty notable; found a neutron star system with just one planet, a nicely ringed water world:

Good times in deep space, man. Good times.

Portman

Just got back from vacation! So where is the action going on now with Community Goals and such?

There was one in Zaonce over the weekend that I missed out on due to a business trip. The only ones that I know of currently are the two in Empire space but they don't seem to have much activity or at least the one I've selected hasn't changed since I left Sunday. I tried to do some RES hunting after that and gave up since I can't ever get anything worth fighting.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
All that hinting about stuff showing up in deep space and it showed up in Sol? lol, those bugs aren't messing around.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here's a rotated screenshot from the video: (spoiler) http://i.imgur.com/h2rnYQs.png

It vaguely reminded me of something and took me a while to put my finger on it. Mildly amusing - from that angle, it looks like a cross between
Wrex
and
The Grinch

Cimarron

What would you guys reccomend for combat fitted Vulture? i currently have 2 beam lasers and 2 multicannon. I am currently thinking about going for 4 pulse lasers. My powerplant can handle it.

Burny

What would you guys reccomend for combat fitted Vulture? i currently have 2 beam lasers and 2 multicannon. I am currently thinking about going for 4 pulse lasers. My powerplant can handle it.

The Vulture has 2 large hardpoints. How would 4 pulse lasers work?

owlbeak

I use 2 D3 Fixed Pulse Lasers (I believe. I'm not at home, so I can't check). Those, coupled with an A5 Power Distributor and A4 Power Plant and everything dies before I run out of power to my weapons with 3 to weapons.

Edit: Oh, you mean Viper :p

I ran my Viper with 2x Fixed Pulse Lasers and 2x Multicannons and I was able to kill pretty much anything I ran into. I've seen videos of people doing serious work with 4x Pulse Lasers, though. Try it out!

GeoGonzo

I've tried those two Viper setups and they both work really well. I'd say beam/multicannon is more fun but for long farming sessions the 4 lasers are better since you never run out of ammo.

Portman

Can anyone suggest a good RES in Empire space to bounty hunt? I'm working to get my reputation up with the Empire and haven't had any luck in the systems I've checked (just keep getting endless small ships every time). Bonus if there are some good mission spots present or nearby to add to the gains.

mitchman

Gold Member
Can anyone suggest a good RES in Empire space to bounty hunt? I'm working to get my reputation up with the Empire and haven't had any luck in the systems I've checked (just keep getting endless small ships every time). Bonus if there are some good mission spots present or nearby to add to the gains.

Not off hand, but they are easy to find. Check the map for systems that contains metal rich rings around planets, they will often (always?) have RES sites.

Unicorn

I've finally returned from a ~15,000LY round trip deep in the Perseus arm, out toward the Heart and Soul nebulae. On my way in, around 6,100LY out, I noticed a deep blue dot in the sky, much larger than any stars, and growing larger with each jump. I checked the galaxy map and found it nearby. It has a nebula label, though this is the first of its kind I've encountered. Not sure what's going on with it--remnants of a supernova? Star collision? There's a black hole at its center. While it appears tiny on the map (I suppose it is compared to most nebulae), it's absolutely massive and very luminous, casting blue light everywhere. Second picture is from 2.5LY away.

Of course, I had to go inside. It's gorgeous in there. 50km from the hole:

Earned $12 million from the trip with fairly judicious surface scanning (mostly stars and gas giants, and of course any terrestrial/water worlds), nabbed a few original black hole discoveries (one was binary with a Herbig AE/BE star and had 10 other stars orbiting them with several gas giants, one with life, Gludgoea FG-Y G3... that system alone was worth about a million fully scanned).

One other pretty notable; found a neutron star system with just one planet, a nicely ringed water world:

Good times in deep space, man. Good times.
Stuff like this makes me want this game right now. I don't have money for it or a joystick (just an xbone controller). I just want to explore.

How stationary are these things? Are there actually black holes devouring things? How system heavy or functional are celestial bodies? I assume only cosmetic.

Thanks for the input! Has anyone ever tried using this face tracking software in elite? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6neB7_Ns6A&feature=youtu.be

I just set it up tonight. It's...kinda cool I guess. I'll never mistake it for actual VR, but I think it can scratch the itch a bit. The response delay breaks the illusion somethin fierce. It's about a 1/4 second delay for me.

But hey, better than nothing. Probably nicer with a triple screen or a 21:9 screen.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I'm a big fan of TrackIR 5 in this game. I don't know if the free software solutions are quite as sharp though. Honestly it's disorienting now to play it with disabled, you try to look up and your screen just does nothing.. yuck. Unfortunately the game doesn't have a triple screen windowed mode, and I've given up on the dedicated Nvidia Surround setup since it's just too damned obnoxious to work with unless you are going to use your computer exclusively for gaming.

Nymerio

I used facetracknoir before I got my edtracker, it works ok but not even remotely as good as the other trackers. I have a trackir at home as well but I got annoyed because I always had to close the curtains so the light from outside didn't interfere with the trackir camera.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm a big fan of TrackIR 5 in this game. I don't know if the free software solutions are quite as sharp though. Honestly it's disorienting now to play it with disabled, you try to look up and your screen just does nothing.. yuck. Unfortunately the game doesn't have a triple screen windowed mode, and I've given up on the dedicated Nvidia Surround setup since it's just too damned obnoxious to work with unless you are going to use your computer exclusively for gaming.

I can't play Elite without my TrackIR now, I've tried a few times and I just can't (same goes for Euro Truck Simulator 2). This is why I can't play Elite during sunny afternoons, my PC is near a large window and the sun glare messes up my TrackIR, I've actually been thinking of moving my PC for this reason.

I wish there were class 3 multi cannons.

get C3 burst lasers, target subsystems and enjoy life.

I used facetracknoir before I got my edtracker, it works ok but not even remotely as good as the other trackers. I have a trackir at home as well but I got annoyed because I always had to close the curtains so the light from outside didn't interfere with the trackir camera.

ok so am I getting "edtracker" or "trackir5"?

or should I try one of those DIY approaches I've seen on youtube?

Burny

If you can spare the cash, get trackIr5. It works practically out of the box and does so excellently - if you don't "suffer" from too much sunlight. ;-) But it's expensive. If don't want to spend as much, have a look at EDtracker. Depending on what you settle for, it's partly a DIY approach anyway.

Portman

Not off hand, but they are easy to find. Check the map for systems that contains metal rich rings around planets, they will often (always?) have RES sites.

Hmm maybe I'm visiting the wrong type of systems and need to keep hunting. I've gone to 3 different ones and was only getting small ships even after signing in and out. The times I had gone to the one in Sol I would see a large ship occasionally at least so that makes me wonder if it has something to do with the area or economy?

I will try some more systems to see if I can have better luck and worse case scenario I'll head back to Sol so I can at least bring in some money. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to do this RES stuff since I can never replicate the results everyone else seems to have.

If you can spare the cash, get trackIr5. It works practically out of the box and does so excellently - if you don't "suffer" from too much sunlight. ;-) But it's expensive. If don't want to spend as much, have a look at EDtracker. Depending on what you settle for, it's partly a DIY approach anyway.

after about an hour of research, I settled on getting a PS3 Eye and Track clip pro. About $50 total and is apparently just as good. I'll offer a review once I receive the items.

owlbeak

Went to Quivira last night, signed up to fight the Empire and made it to the top 40% within a couple hours, seemed way too easy considering how much money has been earned in this campaign already. Oh well! :)

Nymerio

get C3 burst lasers, target subsystems and enjoy life.

after about an hour of research, I settled on getting a PS3 Eye and Track clip pro. About $50 total and is apparently just as good. I'll offer a review once I receive the items.

Probably too late but I prefer the edTracker. It's really small and doesn't rely on any external camera. It's also really cheap

I THINK that's coming in 1.3, unless they release another patch before then. I am guessing they're doing a June launch for 1.3/Powerplay.

Wreav

Banned
My buddy who was worth about 150mil just lost everything and is swearing the game off.

He'll be back.

I hope =(

Stuff like this makes me want this game right now. I don't have money for it or a joystick (just an xbone controller). I just want to explore.

How stationary are these things? Are there actually black holes devouring things? How system heavy or functional are celestial bodies? I assume only cosmetic.

There's no graphical representation of black holes consuming things (not that I've yet seen, at least), though anything could change in future updates. Few of the bodies are stationary so to speak--they all move along their orbits in real time, spin on their axes at prescribed rates, etc. I don't think the highest level of galactic motion is modeled, but of course with a 1:1 scale Milky Way, that rotation would be largely undetectable for millions of years anyway, so it might as well not be there. Even with purely cosmetic bodies (for the time being--planetary landings have been confirmed for a future update, though none of us are very sure what we'll be able to do there once we land), it's hard not to recommend the game to someone who wants to explore or simply enjoys space. It's a very engaging way to get out there amongst the stars and see you some things. Lots and lots of things. Billions and billions.

Hmm maybe I'm visiting the wrong type of systems and need to keep hunting. I've gone to 3 different ones and was only getting small ships even after signing in and out. The times I had gone to the one in Sol I would see a large ship occasionally at least so that makes me wonder if it has something to do with the area or economy?

I will try some more systems to see if I can have better luck and worse case scenario I'll head back to Sol so I can at least bring in some money. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to do this RES stuff since I can never replicate the results everyone else seems to have.
I think population size may have something to do with it. I checked the galaxy map for high-population refinery/extraction systems in Empire space with ringed planets, but there are so very few--the Empire is all about some agriculture, it seems.

Either way, check system maps and click on the ringed planets, looking for rocky or metal-rich rings. You'll see a small line near the bottom of the description that lets you know about the reserves for the planet... find the ones that don't have "depleted reserves" in a high-population system and you should get yourself some good pirates to shoot. Look for stations with raw materials on their import/export list and you can be pretty sure there are RESs nearby. My Federation go-to is LHS 3505--high population refinery economy, and even though the reserves for the planets are marked "Low," there always seem to be Clippers, Dropships, Pythons, and Anacondas in those RESs. Again, couldn't find a similar system in Empire space without depleted resources--may have to knock my population limits down a bit on the galaxy map... but definitely stick to refinery/extraction economy systems.

Portman

Went to Quivira last night, signed up to fight the Empire and made it to the top 40% within a couple hours, seemed way too easy considering how much money has been earned in this campaign already. Oh well! :)

I had wondered off after the event didn't seem to be getting any activity but now that it appears to be getting attention I will stop back by to keep my rewards up while I search for a decent RES in Empire space.

I think population size may have something to do with it. I checked the galaxy map for high-population refinery/extraction systems in Empire space with ringed planets, but there are so very few--the Empire is all about some agriculture, it seems.

Either way, check system maps and click on the ringed planets, looking for rocky or metal-rich rings. You'll see a small line near the bottom of the description that lets you know about the reserves for the planet... find the ones that don't have "depleted reserves" in a high-population system and you should get yourself some good pirates to shoot. Look for stations with raw materials on their import/export list and you can be pretty sure there are RESs nearby. My Federation go-to is LHS 3505--high population refinery economy, and even though the reserves for the planets are marked "Low," there always seem to be Clippers, Dropships, Pythons, and Anacondas in those RESs. Again, couldn't find a similar system in Empire space without depleted resources--may have to knock my population limits down a bit on the galaxy map... but definitely stick to refinery/extraction economy systems.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into locating an area that has that stats to see how my luck is. The next time I'm in Federation space I'll give that spot a visit to see if I can earn some funds. I do still need to work on my Federation rank since that large ship they have coming has my attention that I'm expecting it to have a higher rank requirement than the one I'm at.

Canopy blowout in a conflict zone, with the nearest station 4000LS away.

He had forgotten about the canopy mechanic entirely, and had a stock life support system.

Blew up right before he entered the station.

I'm guessing if he had that much invested in the game he will be back eventually. I've sworn it off a few times over the past months but I keep coming back. Now if only I could get my friend to play again but he's waiting on more content I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom