• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
Bah, I keep fucking things up when I get an alternative offer on a mission. Accidentally abandoned the whole thing. What's the proper way of going about this? I had a mission to kill 2 traders, but was then offered the alternative of killing 5 pirates instead.

You literally just go out and kill 5 pirates and then turn it in at the station it tells you to.

RealMeat

Banned
If I bought this game with a friend, would it be easy to play together or would it be better to wait until the social features are added in?

Gaz_RB

So wow, fun and interesting first night for me in Elite.

Started out in the system LHS 3447, Trevithick Dock. Stayed up until 1:30 AM trading and exploring, doing a few missions, and learning. Made a few bad trades that I lost credits on, but also made a bunch of good trades and ended up the night with 28,000 credits to my name. The two pirates who interdicted me helped out too, got a few thousand credits in bounties for them. I'm finding that evading interdictions in a stock sidewinder isn't always easy, I'm guessing that better ships with upgrades makes evading easier. Also this 4 ton cargo hold is so damn limiting, lol.

Went out exploring new systems after a bit and almost ended up running out of fuel. I just barely made it back to a system with a station on my last jump, came THIS close to stranding myself in deep space! Cleve Hub was such a welcome sight, man the tension was so very palpable.

This game can be damn beautiful at times. It's like Space Engine with an actual game included. I'm finding exploration more fun than I anticipated, I just may end up going down the pure explorer road with occasional trading now and then. I particularly loved this scenic vista from Oleskiw Station, I honestly just sat and stared for a bit thinking about how awesome it's going to be when we get planetary landings in the game!

Saw this poor Commander get his Sidewinder destroyed by a station in the Erativa system. I guess he forgot to get docking clearance or something!

So after just one night, I'm hooked big time. It's Elite allright, as familiar as the game was on my C64 over 25 years ago. Once we actually get planet landings it will be a more fun and modern version of Frontier (Elite II). I really need to get out of this Sidewinder though, my ship is still bone stock and I've been debating on whether or not to upgrade the Sidewinder or just squirrel credits away for a Hauler. I need cargo space and more utility slots to mount fuel scoops and scanners. Too much fun though, my weekend is going to be spent flying Elite for certain.

My first day was very similar to this; I started at the same spot. Except that I actually did run out of fuel in deep space, and I ended with -28000 credits haha. And that commander you saw crash was probably me!

But today is a new day! I will climb out of debt!

Switch to a firegroup that it's not in. That should work.

So,who is going to try and help me in Ho Hsi? I think managing to start a civil war would be awesome

I'll start journeying there today, depending how far away it is.

Starviper

If I bought this game with a friend, would it be easy to play together or would it be better to wait until the social features are added in?

Currently there isn't any real way to play together or do missions together. You can add friends and setup groups, but there's no way to actually team up and do missions together, or at least not easily. My understanding is this functionality is being added in January.

BTW, do we have any sort of official NeoGAF group or Alliance? Is it even possible to setup alliances yet?

So I decided to take the dive last night. FIgured I already have a joystick laying around and an Oculus Rift DK2 so why not? First time ever playing an Elite game. The VR works extremely well, definitely better than anything else I've tried. Haven't had any judder issues at all yet (well, except for in stations sometimes). Was able to creep my settings a bit above all low too which is nice. I was worried it would be a juddery mess like most of the other games or demos I've tried, glad it didn't turn out that way :)

Started up with the combat modules and just the joystick to get feet wet. Didn't take too long to get used to the controls, made a few changes. Luckily my joystick is fairly decent so I was able to put what seem to be the more useful controls on there, just have controls for the landing gear and throttling up and down while in supercruise on the keyboard. I'll probably add more to the keyboard as I figure things out though.

I went into the game after I messed around with combat in the DK2 a bit. Probably should've started out without the headset, as there was still a lot to learn and it was a pain learning in the Rift. I took a break after a bit and came back without the Rift, and things were a bit less frustrating.

I can't figure out the galaxy map at all though. I've tried twice to plot a route to locations nearby and it says no route is available. But then I'll end up stumbling my way there on my own after one jump. Why couldn't it plot a route if it was literally two jumps away? The first jump I made plotted, and then when I tried to get back to the station I was at originally it couldn't plot a course -.-

I'm gonna keep fumbling around without the OR until I get a firmer grasp on things. It seems fun but there's a lot to learn, so I think I'm better off without it for now.

Also, any tips for controlling the galaxy map in the rift? And for bounties or killing pirates, how do you find the targets? Unidentified sources? The first mission I got was a kill mission (Literally the only two missions available were bounty missions for me lol). I went to the systems they were said to have been at but didn't know how to find them once I was there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm have a hard time finding pirates to kill, or... even traders.

Anything, really, it seems like all the ships are either System Police or other Players. I've fought one NPC so far and it's because I overshot a station and they opened fire on me.

Maybe it's because I'm still in the LHS-3447 and surrounding areas?

JambiBum

I'm have a hard time finding pirates to kill, or... even traders.

Anything, really, it seems like all the ships are either System Police or other Players. I've fought one NPC so far and it's because I overshot a station and they opened fire on me.

Maybe it's because I'm still in the LHS-3447 and surrounding areas?

Yeah, leave LHS-3447. That seems to be where it is starting new players so that is who you will mostly find. If you want to kill NPCs, try to find an anarchy system. They will interdict you there and try to fight you. You can always sit at a nav beacon and fight people there too. To do this you just drop out of super cruise there like you would for an unknown source.

Skyzard

Banned
I think it auto saves at your last warp at least

Ah nice not so bad.

My first day was very similar to this; I started at the same spot. Except that I actually did run out of fuel in deep space, and I ended with -28000 credits haha. And that commander you saw crash was probably me!

But today is a new day! I will climb out of debt!

I'll start journeying there today, depending how far away it is.

I started there too, weird I thought it was all random. Maybe they setup a few starting points.

I saw the blue icon there but couldn't figure out how to get my free eagle...didn't see any ship buying options...maybe it's not there yet?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ah nice not so bad.

I started there too, weird I thought it was all random. Maybe they setup a few starting points.

I saw the blue icon there but couldn't figure out how to get my free eagle...didn't see any ship buying options...maybe it's not there yet?

Go to the "shipyard" at the station with the blue icon. There is a tab there for "stored ships".

That said, is there a way from the galactic or system map to see what the class of ship you have stored at a station is?

Haly

That guy I killed yesterday gave me 3k credits.

Then I got fined 5k credits for having stolen goods in my cargo.

>Game is hard

Skyzard

Banned
^Yep, it was recently anyway.
Go to the "shipyard" at the station with the blue icon. There is a tab there for "stored ships".

That said, is there a way from the galactic or system map to see what the class of ship you have stored at a station is?

Thanks.

It's kinda weird how in these space games, you have this huge ass expensive shit but they can't afford a rear-view cam set up behind it...to see behind you? :p

Sometimes the landing parking radar thing doesn't show for me, even if I yaw around, had to just drop fast and it accepted it...so kept having to move around but even with trackir you can't actually see all the way behind or around the ship.

RK9039

I love this game already.

I only have about 6000 credits, please don't kill me (CMDR Shampoo) I'm only carrying coffee in my cargo.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The game is very much like Dark souls in terms of hand holding and difficulty. I really suggest new players to read the guide found in the OT ressource section

http://fr.scribd.com/doc/236560722/Elite-Dangerous-pilots-guide-manual-tutorial

There's youtube tutorial links in the guide too. Read that on the train or at work ;)

I cant wait for the group mechanics to be implemented. And planetary landing.. :eek:

elite-concept.jpg

Or if they ever manage to generate huge cities where basically you could just stop travelling and play around in that world indefinitely ?

R9iLKZJ.png

Klyka

Banned
A little guide I wrote to help people find targets for their missions, would be helpful if people could upvote it on Reddit

Hey everyone! This is not really an in depth guide but I have been flying around in the Elite Galaxy for a while now and have learned a lot about the game,including how to properly spot the different "classes" of NPCs flying around that you may need for a kill mission!

So here are my findings that will hopefully help some people:

Pirates: These guys usually have single names like "Slade", "Xander" or "Molerat". They usually fly in more cheap, combat oriented ships like Sidewinders or Eagles. They can also be found in Cobra MK3s or even Anacondas, but that's more rare. When checking their sub-targets you will see them equipped with a cargo scanner which they will use on you as they get close, usually followed by some comms saying stuff like "What goodies you got?" or "Let's see your cargo,fool!". If you check their faction, a lot of the times they will be associated with the more "sinister" faction in the system, often with names like "... Mafia" or "... Cartel" and "...Rats". They are also almost always Wanted, unless you are in an Anarchy system.

Traders: These guys usually have normal names like "Pete Malloy" or "Jonas Warzenegger". They fly in transport ships, so look for Hauler and Type 6/7/9 ships. Their subsystems are usually the maximum amount of cargo space or a majority of it. They usually belong to a normal faction or a more corporate faction with "... Corp" or "...Limited" in the name. At Nav Beacons you will often see them flying in a straight line in one direction until they hyperjump out. They are never Wanted.

Bounty Hunters: Normal names on these guys, sometimes a nickname like "The Eradicator". They fly Eagles and Vipers, I have also seen an Adder but only a few times. When checking their sub-targets they will have kill warrant scanners equipped. They usually belong to either no faction or to one of the lawful ones, typically the one in control of the system. You find them mainly at Nav Beacons where they will usually fly around and once they spot a wanted target will engage in combat with it. They always start Clean but can sometimes turn Wanted when they hit a wrong target in combat.

Extra Info: * Civilians are every ship that is not part of a military/authority/pirate group. * Authority are the security ships that patrol the system/respond to crimes. * Military are the ships that belong to the Navy of the faction in the system, they are called "Navy" in the name too.

I hope this helps people find their targets!

Safe Flight Commanders!

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2pl6gn/how_to_spot_traderspiratesbounty_hunters/

Skyzard

Banned
^ done, nice one.
The game is very much like Dark souls in terms of hand holding and difficulty. I really suggest new players to read the guide found in the OT ressource section

http://fr.scribd.com/doc/236560722/Elite-Dangerous-pilots-guide-manual-tutorial

There's youtube tutorial links in the guide too. Read that on the train or at work ;)

Nice, thanks.

This has links to download it:
http://deepspacerelay.com/elite-dangerous-pilots-guide-by-kornelius-briedis-1-10/

Haly

Is there something like the "Assets" tab in EVE? I know how to find my Eagle but it'd be really convenient if I didn't have to dock for it.

Klyka

Banned
Is there something like the "Assets" tab in EVE? I know how to find my Eagle but it'd be really convenient if I didn't have to dock for it.

It shows you how many assets in credits you own but there is no list of your ships.

However in the Galaxy map it WILL you show any system you have a ship stored at with a blue sidewinder icon and in the system map will show you the station it is at.

Haly

It shows you how many assets in credits you own but there is no list of your ships.

However in the Galaxy map it WILL you show any system you have a ship stored at with a blue sidewinder icon and in the system map will show you the station it is at.

Ah, thank you.

Klyka

Banned
Is there plans for a player economy and crafting?

No crafting. Players already impact the economy with the trade they move around, but Frontier made a game that works the same in Singleplayer a sit does in Multiplayer, meaning that selling to other players will (almost) never be a better option than selling to an NPC, cause a solo mode player wouldn't have that option.

Skyzard

Banned
I read a review (incgamers) that mentioned he had to rebind his keys every update?

My most immediate and selfish hope for the future of this game, though, is an update system which doesn’t wipe all my keybinds. Every. Single. Time. I’m used to keeping a back-up of the file now, but that shouldn’t really be necessary.
-16th Dec

I updated recently and didn't have to...

Anyone know where the bindings are stored?

Nvidia users: 347.09 BETA got released.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/80913

Aww yes. Although it's running pretty great for me.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I downloaded it last night, took forever, that client is terribly inconsistent and slow. Probably will jump in tonight when I get home. With now this in hand and having Kickstarted Star Citizen I'm curious how long I can hold out buying a HOTAS since my old one is busted, especially with NewEgg shipping the X52 pro for $30 off.

Want to hold out though as long as I can since I am trying to save up to build a new rig, so 140-160 on a HOTAS I'll only use for 2 games is kind of low on the totem pole. Maybe I'll get lucky and see a good deal on the X55 in the next couple months. Though I really don't need anything that fancy.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That awesome but I'll wait for WHQL. Been burned by betas too many times. It'll just be a week or two.

Yeah I'm gonna wait too. The game is running great for me as is, so I'm in no rush to do the driver update dance. I'd rather play.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I downloaded it last night, took forever, that client is terribly inconsistent and slow.

You're on launch day of a multiplayer server side game. Its already amazing that peoples are playing the game. I was expecting total server clog.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
You're on launch day of a multiplayer server side game. Its already amazing that peoples are playing the game. I was expecting total server clog.

True, but it was the same a week or two ago when downloading the combat trainer. It wasn't that it was slow but it would go from a couple MB/s to zero and just sit there. I actually think the main game took less time than the demo did, but both took a considerable amount of time.

Klyka

Banned
True, but it was the same a week or two ago when downloading the combat trainer. It wasn't that it was slow but it would go from a couple MB/s to zero and just sit there. I actually think the main game took less time than the demo did, but both took a considerable amount of time.

I have never downloaded at anything less than 5.5mb/s.

Do you have an ISP that throttles torrent connections? Cause the Launcher is peer to peer I think.

la_briola

Have there been any reviews?
I found one: http://www.incgamers.com/2014/12/elite-dangerous-review

incgamers.com said:
There’s a great deal to enjoy about Elite: Dangerous, from the tone-perfect space immersion and sense of sheer scale, to ship handling and the relative freedom of choice in player activities. It really does feel like a “what if?” 2014 version of the 1984 classic, right down to how the game’s more enigmatic elements fit right in with today’s conventions of sharing information online. You don’t have to go far to find trade tools, threads on locating black markets, bounty hunting tips and all manner of other social interactions.

I’ve no idea whether the decision to launch in December has to do with financial book-keeping or the simple desire to have it out in the year of Elite’s 30th anniversary, but by forcing the issue Frontier Developments are inviting criticism for a game with several loose ends. In three to six months time Elite: Dangerous could be a phenomenal title. As things stand, it’s (servers-permitting) a pretty damn good one with a whole lot of potential.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I have never downloaded at anything less than 5.5mb/s.

Do you have an ISP that throttles torrent connections? Cause the Launcher is peer to peer I think.

Never had an issue before, I have Verizon Fios, and often use torrents for game/movie trailers and stuff when it's an option and always got good speeds of 2+ mb/s. I didn't really care, more surprised, I have too many unfinished games as it is. I was more than happy to play some more Mount and Blade Viking Conquest while it downloaded.

Skyzard

Banned
Someone mentioned full RGB output on HDMI, maybe it will look better in the Rift...

The problem: http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-cards-dont-full-rgb-color-through-hdmiheres-a-fix/

I'm not sure, haven't tested mine yet but good thinking.

Apparently it's only affected at around 60Hz though, I think the rift is 75

... NV GPU to supply full range RGB (0-255) over HDMI when the resolution was either 720p or 1080p at 59.94 Hz.
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Anyone with a feel for the controls have a preference for gamepad v. kb/m? Or do people use both together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom