• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starviper

So i'm heavily considering getting a flight stick after playing and enjoying for 7 hours last night. What's the current recommended purchase? I don't want to spend a fortune on a flight stick/thrust combo but I don't want it to be some cheap junk.

One-Shot

Banned
Is there a roadmap on what they are planning?

So i'm heavily considering getting a flight stick after playing and enjoying for 7 hours last night. What's the current recommended purchase? I don't want to spend a fortune on a flight stick/thrust combo but I don't want it to be some cheap junk.
I'm getting the X52 although admittedly for free through a reward program at work. Looks to be awesome though.

Price range?

Is there a roadmap on what they are planning?

This may helpful:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=431507#post431507

It's kind of a megathread about what's been stated and such. Not really "official roadmap" stuff but you should be able to find what you need.

la_briola

Low budget (~50 EUR/USD)
* Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas Stick X
* Logitech Extreme 3D PRO PC Joystick

Starviper

Skyzard

Banned
OP has a section to check in the first post on sticks and prices.

I think he missed the CH throttle and stick, which I've heard good things about but haven't used myself. Someone posted a shot of theirs earlier in the thread.

la_briola

That looks perfect, thanks. I saw someone mentioning the X52 but I don't know if i'm wanting to plop 100+ on a stick.

Yeah.. Not gonna lie, it does look like something from the 90's lol.

These cheap sticks are fine, but have limited buttons/functions.
You probably need to use the keyboard for some stuff.

I'm using this setup (CH Products + Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite).

img_20141101_152943y8of7.jpg

I have mapped "everything" there is. Great for using the Rift!

OP has a section to check in the first post on sticks and prices.

I think he missed the CH throttle and stick, which I've heard good things about but haven't used myself. Someone posted a shot of theirs earlier in the thread.

Probably me, so here it is again. :p

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

We should just have this link posted at the top of every page, lol.

I was talking to a friend about this very stick yesterday, and he seemed to be concerned by the lack of buttons compared to other flight stick/thrust combos. It started to make me think about just getting the solo flightstick for the right hand and sticking to keyboard on the left.

Am I looking too far into this or should I not worry/take the plunge?

Klyka

Banned
Hahahaha, I was bounty hunting and saw a player in super cruise with a 2000 bounty in an eagle. Sent him my usual "stop right there criminal scum!" message and interdicted him.
He was barely doing anything before I had his hull down to like 20%, then I get a message from him saying "I hope you choke to death on the big fat cock of the shit developer sof this fucking pathetic game!!!!" and he blew up.

RIP in pieces CMDR tohRazal0r

Skyzard

Banned
la_briola, I think so :)

I was talking to a friend about this very stick yesterday, and he seemed to be concerned by the lack of buttons compared to other flight stick/thrust combos. It started to make me think about just getting the solo flightstick for the right hand and sticking to keyboard on the left.

That's not a terrible idea, less setup and desk space taken up too. Can always add a throttle later if you want.

As long as you have some nice hotkeys for controlling the speed, it should be good. Haven't tried setting that up myself though.
Might be slightly harder if you use the numbers to start the menus in the ship (headtracking helps with that).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It's got 12 buttons and 5 axis, that should be enough. It's your best bet in that price range, obviously if you're willing to spend more a X-52 pro or X-55 are better options.

bj00rn_

Banned
I stumbled over a wedding cortège yesterday, 5-6 ships and one big wedding barge in the middle. I thought it was hilarious, so I had a moment of being mr niceguy and just let them go. In hindsight though I probably should've slaughtered everyone and spare the groom from future pure pain and misery.

j/k relatively happily married for 7 years...

You can also set one of the buttons up as a modifier, which would effectively double the number of buttons you have.

Klyka

Banned
I stumbled over a wedding cortège yesterday, 5-6 ships and one big wedding barge in the middle. I thought it was hilarious, so I had a moment of being mr niceguy and just let them go. In hindsight though I probably should've slaughtered everyone and spare the groom from future pure pain and misery.

j/k relatively happily married for 7 years...

If you have a cargo scanner you can actually see that the wedding barge and the ships around are FULL of expensive stuff and rare trade items. You know, WEDDING GIFTS :D

It's got 12 buttons and 5 axis, that should be enough. It's your best bet in that price range, obviously if you're willing to spend more a X-52 pro or X-55 are better options.

I just skimmed through the OP again and saw that you actually can split the two from the base. Guess I'm buying it then! I appreciate the help.

bj00rn_

Banned
If you have a cargo scanner you can actually see that the wedding barge and the ships around are FULL of expensive stuff and rare trade items. You know, WEDDING GIFTS :D

Oh shit.. Didn't think of that :) I'm just mocking about exploring, selling system data, picking up illegal stuff for the black market at the same time as I'm trying to reach a nebula.

It's really starting to click together for me now. So much to learn, so many bindings to make for my X52P.. My neck is starting to hurt from hours in E:D with the DK2 last few nights.. Good times

Damn!! Good to be back on this!!! Hope the Rift DK2 support is up to par!!! :)

After doing the HUD color mod, and FD sorting out the few focus area glitches (and I sorted out my pos track problems!) the only thing really annoying remaining with the DK2 support is the galaxy map, which still brings pain to my brain.

Haluko

I got the Logitech Extreme 3D PRO PC Joystick for about 35 dollars at best buy. Works fine for me even has a little throttle dial on it.

One-Shot

Banned
These cheap sticks are fine, but have limited buttons/functions.
You probably need to use the keyboard for some stuff.

I'm using this setup (CH Products + Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite).

I have mapped "everything" there is. Great for using the Rift!

Probably me, so here it is again. :p

I want to fix your cables.

Been following Elite for awhile now - I'm interested, but the price has long been a deterrent. I'm most excited about the prospect of exploration, although the trading and combat look fun too. Worth the 60? I've never played a space sim before and am eager to try one.

also my 970 is hungry

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Been following Elite for awhile now - I'm interested, but the price has long been a deterrent. I'm most excited about the prospect of exploration, although the trading and combat look fun too. Worth the 60? I've never played a space sim before and am eager to try one.

also my 970 is hungry

I've put like 50+ hours into it since Gamma went live and still think about the game every spare minute I have. I can't imagine not getting $60 value out of it.

Boogdud

I notice everyone is hanging out in LHS 3447? I don't think I did a single mission in that system, is there any benefit to doing so? I fired up my eagle and jumped about 5-10 systems away and started shooting folks.

Also, don't discount the eagle, it's a fantastic dogfighter, I splash cobras and vipers in it regularly. Though many times a cobra can get away if he intends on running, which is annoying as piss. I wish there was some form emp to shut down their FSD at least temporarily, I can't tell you how many cobras and vipers got away from me with 1-5% hull.

Klyka

Banned
I notice everyone is hanging out in LHS 3447? I don't think I did a single mission in that system, is there any benefit to doing so? I fired up my eagle and jumped about 5-10 systems away and started shooting folks.

Also, don't discount the eagle, it's a fantastic dogfighter, I splash cobras and vipers in it regularly. Though many times a cobra can get away if he intends on running, which is annoying as piss. I wish there was some form emp to shut down their FSD at least temporarily, I can't tell you how many cobras and vipers got away from me with 1-5% hull.

Come to Ho Hsi, we got fun and games and soon civil war :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After doing the HUD color mod, and FD sorting out the few focus area glitches (and I sorted out my pos track problems!) the only thing really annoying remaining with the DK2 support is the galaxy map, which still brings pain to my brain.

What is wrong with the galaxy map on the DK2? It seems to work fine for me...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I certainly spent a lot of time in LHS 3447 last night, it's where I started. Bopped around in a few systems in the area but kept coming back to good ole Dalton Gateway. Every time I strayed too far in the stock Sidewinder I almost ran out of fuel, lol. I'll probably venture out tonight though and pick a new system further away to figure trade routes out of. I got a few "docking request denied" last night due to too many people flying around. Time to spread my wings a bit!

Boogdud

Something I ran into last night that I've never seen (and forgot to mention in my earlier post). I ran into an Imperial Clipper in supercruise that listed as wanted, well, I decided to try and kill him in my eagle. I know on paper it's a terrible terrible idea, but what the heck, I've got insurance. So I knocked him out of SC and started fighting.

So I'm dogfighting this guy for probably 5 minutes, knocked his shields out 3-4 times, had his hull down to about 65% and he's still running his mouth. I'm sitting at no damage yet and all of a sudden I start melting almost instantly. I pull back and try to get some distance between us and I see 4-5 fighters attacking me. They weren't security forces either, but I couldn't get an ID on them before I was dead, it was over real quick.

Didn't know if they called in reinforcements or what, if they crimes reported I'd think it would have been security forces coming to their aid. Even if they did, the clipper was wanted, not me and they were definitely protecting the clipper.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How do you gank someone in supercruise? I found a harmless wanted guy while flying around LHS-3447 last night and started to tail him, but I couldn't figure how to bring him out of supercruise.

"How do you gank someone in supercruise? I found a harmless wanted guy while flying around LHS-3447 last night and started to tail him, but I couldn't figure how to bring him out of supercruise."

You need a Frame Shift Drive Interdictor.

SummitAve

Banned

I'm using this + keyboard: http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-2960706-Thrustmaster-T-16000M-Flight/dp/B001S0RTU0

Affordable and uses the same kind of sensors found in the X-55 and other high end sticks. I'm now looking for a throttle to pair with it, but for right now it's working great. I think there are some vids of people on youtube with layout suggestions for this setup too.

Not sure if you already bought it or not but you might want to consider this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009OY9U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Its the one I'm using. Its relatively cheap (especially used), it has enough buttons for most of the important stuff, and it has a throttle. Obviously not as immersive as that other one, but then again its also a lot cheaper and has the same number of buttons. You'll probably still need a keyboard for a few things unless you use VoiceAttack

Skyzard

Banned
4K runs at 60fps with dips to 40 on my 780ti. Will be sticking to 2560x1440.

I haven't had any luck with various AA settings in nvidia inspector, but I'm not great at that stuff.

<SSAA>2</SSAA>

In settings.xml (appdata/local/frontier development/E D/Options/Graphics)

Does work. But it drops my framerate to 25fps.

=-=-=-

Rift users, I heard downsampling from 2560 makes the text easier to read (set up custom resolution in nvidia control panel).

Despite this having been a problem for years, Nvidia seems to have finally taken notice of the issue. According to a screenshot of a conversation with an Nvidia rep, the issue will be fixed in the next driver branch release. That driver is still in development, so there's no ETA, but at least it's on the way.

I can't believe they're finally going to fix this. Great news, but dear god, took them long enough.

Marc

Just had more fun in an hour than I did the previous 4, had combat fights that actually got me decent cash from a wanted dude. Plus he dropped some good cargo, now just need to find a place to sell it. I don't get why the goods show up as stolen when you are getting them from a wanted guy, should be 'recovered' and maybe give the option to get a reward for getting them back or to sell them illegally. Anyway, ended up getting enough to upgrade the ships power core, guns, power distributor and get a fuel scoop. Annoying the Eagle doesn't have any spare slots internally so had to sacrifice the discovery scanner which is a shame but in order to travel further I need to be sure I can get fuel.

Are there places that give you paint jobs? Come across skull decals for the wings, and a paint job for my first ship but nothing for my Eagle (which showed up after I reloaded the game). Or were those freebies and you have to buy them separately? Would be nice to pick the basic colour at least. Eagle looks like a Klingon ship as it is. :)

Beautiful looking game, you can seriously just sit there and look up at the stars.

Rift users, I heard downsampling from 2560 makes the text easier to read (set up custom resolution in nvidia control panel).

How do you downsample in the game? I only get 1080p option at the highest for the rift and my native monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom