• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
Just had more fun in an hour than I did the previous 4, had combat fights that actually got me decent cash from a wanted dude. Plus he dropped some good cargo, now just need to find a place to sell it. I don't get why the goods show up as stolen when you are getting them from a wanted guy, should be 'recovered' and maybe give the option to get a reward for getting them back or to sell them illegally. Anyway, ended up getting enough to upgrade the ships power core, guns, power distributor and get a fuel scoop. Annoying the Eagle doesn't have any spare slots internally so had to sacrifice the discovery scanner which is a shame but in order to travel further I need to be sure I can get fuel.

Are there places that give you paint jobs? Come across skull decals for the wings, and a paint job for my first ship but nothing for my Eagle (which showed up after I reloaded the game). Or were those freebies and you have to buy them separately? Would be nice to pick the basic colour at least. Eagle looks like a Klingon ship as it is. :)

Beautiful looking game, you can seriously just sit there and look up at the stars.

everyone has that decal and that paintjob, it's the for Mercenary edition.

Paintjobs can be bought with real money in the ED store, decals I am not sure where they come from.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
OH

I need to bind the Basic Discovery Scanner to something in order to use it. I thought it was just a passive module.

Fuck me. Time scan some shit down.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The Rift acts so weird for me in the game.

Is there a way to see frame rate while in Rift mode?

Basically, the game runs at a constant 60fps at 1080p with everything maxxed out except antialiasing on my 660ti rig.

However, in the Rift, with everything set at low I still get judder inside stations and sometimes outside of stations. It's really strange "judder" though... more like ghosting. Is that what happens in the Rift when the frame rate goes below 75fps?

Klyka

Banned
OH

I need to bind the Basic Discovery Scanner to something in order to use it. I thought it was just a passive module.

I can't wait for you to hear the sound it makes for the first time

I bought the 75 dollar version with beta access, does that give me the standard game or the Mercenary edition?

Mercenary

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, fuck day one patches. Give players a chance to play the damn game. I just spent two days downloading the damn thing and now I have wait another fucking day for this stupid ass patch. I can't even so hard right now

WGMBY

OH

don't forget that you can fire it in supercruise as well. makes exploration much easier.

Also, the ranges for the scanners can be dramatically different. Basic is 50 LS, intermediate is 100 LS, and advanced will scan the whole system at once.

Ronnie

Banned
How do you sell "stolen" supplies? Turn off all your systems and do like in those youtube videos and coast into a station without being detected?

ys45

Should I go open play right away or solo ?
I heard some stories of noob killing around stations from ED forums I don't feel like learning the game and getting killed while doing so .

Do I keep my progress if I decide to switch to open play later when I am better?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Should I go open play right away or solo ?
I heard some stories of noob killing around stations from ED forums I don't feel like learning the game and getting killed while doing so .

Do I keep my progress if I decide to switch to open play later when I am better?

You can switch between any time.

Definitely recommend starting in solo, making some money, then going into open when you're comfortable.

Skyzard

Banned
<NVM>

How do you downsample in the game? I only get 1080p option at the highest for the rift and my native monitor.

I haven't set it up yet myself. I assume the resolution will show up after you make a custom resolution for the rift in nvidia control panel (easy to do, lots of tutorials out there).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you sell "stolen" supplies? Turn off all your systems and do like in those youtube videos and coast into a station without being detected?

You can only sell stolen goods at a station with a black market. Black markets are under the "contacts" menu in a station.

The thing where people are cruising into a station undetected is for goods that are illegal at that station, not for stolen goods.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was hoping to work for the Alliance cause they sound like Gallente and Gallente were my bros but they only have 3-4 systems? Ditto for Empire. It seems like everything is under the control of the Federation.

EDIT: No, okay, it seems like it was just because I'm in Federation space so it's all I can see until I move my camera around. Oh god this is going to take forever.

Klyka

Banned
I was hoping to work for the Alliance cause they sound like Gallente and Gallente were my bros but they only have 3-4 systems? Ditto for Empire. It seems like everything is under the control of the Federation.

You should zoom out a bit more. While the Federation is the biggest, the EMpire and Alliance have FAR from " a few systems"

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've been poking around the backstory for this game to get some idea where things stand. Apparently Elite 1, Frontier and Frontier First Contact are all canon.

However, First Contact had aliens in it, and this game takes place 300 years after First Contact... yet there are no aliens?

Ronnie

Banned
You can only sell stolen goods at a station with a black market. Black markets are under the "contacts" menu in a station.

The thing where people are cruising into a station undetected is for goods that are illegal at that station, not for stolen goods.

Oh I see, so you can just fly into a station normally with stolen goods? What happens when they scan you?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, I've been sitting here at work thinking about Elite, reading up on some wiki sites and the Frontier forums, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm an idiot flying around in my Sidewinder when I have a free Eagle sitting at Dalton Gateway. Sure, in the default setup the Eagle has less cargo space than the Sidewinder, but it has much better options for customizing, and with a few investments I can make it a much better starter ship than the Sidewinder.

The reason the Eagle has less cargo space is because it starts with a Class 1 cargo rack (2T) while the Sidewinder starts with a Class 2 (4T). But a Class 2 rack will fit in the Eagle, so it's easily upgraded to have the same cargo space as the default Sidewinder. Then you have a ship with the same cargo space but faster speed & boost, stronger shields, better turn rates, greater jump distance, and an extra slot for a weapon.

Now, if I really want to get serious, I can sell the Eagle's Class 3 shield and Class 2 cargo rack, install a Class 2 shield where the cargo rack was, and put a Class 3 cargo rack where the shield was which holds 8T of cargo. NOW I would have a superior ship with twice the carrying capacity as the Sidewinder but still have some shields for safety.

Why was I flying around in a Sidewinder last night again?

DrBo42

I've been poking around the backstory for this game to get some idea where things stand. Apparently Elite 1, Frontier and Frontier First Contact are all canon.

However, First Contact had aliens in it, and this game takes place 300 years after First Contact... yet there are no aliens?

They're coming.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

The Thargoids. They don't hold any region of space, nobody knows where they came from. Some believe they are interdimensional beings. I imagine they'll show up in Dangerous, you won't be finding their homeworld or anything like that.

Klyka

Banned
Well, I've been sitting here at work thinking about Elite, reading up on some wiki sites and the Frontier forums, and I've come to the conclusion that I'm an idiot flying around in my Sidewinder when I have a free Eagle sitting at Dalton Gateway. Sure, in the default setup the Eagle has less cargo space than the Sidewinder, but it has much better options for customizing, and with a few investments I can make it a much better starter ship than the Sidewinder.

The reason the Eagle has less cargo space is because it starts with a Class 1 cargo rack (2T) while the Sidewinder starts with a Class 2 (4T). But a Class 2 rack will fit in the Eagle, so it's easily upgraded to have the same cargo space as the default Sidewinder. Then you have a ship with the same cargo space but faster speed & boost, stronger shields, better turn rates, greater jump distance, and an extra slot for a weapon.

Now, if I really want to get serious, I can sell the Eagle's Class 3 shield and Class 2 cargo rack, install a Class 2 shield where the cargo rack was, and put a Class 3 cargo rack where the shield was which holds 8T of cargo. NOW I would have a superior ship with twice the carrying capacity as the Sidewinder but still have some shields for safety.

You can also just leave out your shield and have even more cargo cause having a shield as a trader is actually pretty useless cause al you do is jump from station to system, fly to new station, dock and repeat.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You can also just leave out your shield and have even more cargo cause having a shield as a trader is actually pretty useless cause al you do is jump from station to system, fly to new station, dock and repeat.

You'll quickly change your tune when you get interdicted by a pirate and if you just had a shield you would have had enough time to escape.

Does anyone have performance tips for a 6950? Should I be forcing VSync on my Catalyst? Or anything like that?

Although I could check to see if Catalyst Omega is out...

Skyzard

Banned
It looks like the FOV gets narrower with NI forced vsync .... :S I've set it to max and didn't play with it between changing the setting in NI.

Explains the GPU usage...

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

To me, the freeagle is just a 40k bonus credit towards something better. You dont lose that credit if you die, you lose the freeagle when you die though and insurance would probably climb higher than your starting credit. Early on its really easy to get blown up as you learn the game.

Skyzard

Banned
Can you use the NI vsync with the rift?

I don't think so...

I actually just tried it again to look for FOV changes specifically ... I don't know what the fuck is going on because now it's the same as NI forced v-sync previously - 70% gpu usage, narrower FOV no matter if I force it or not.

So ignore it ... I don't know what the fuck was going on... sorry

I want that huge FOV back :p It's already on max...

EDIT---I can set the FOV higher than max in the settings XML.
But still at 70% usage with even higher FOV than before...using in-game vysnc.
iOAMVBFvBrXub.jpg

Fuck PCs :p

EDIT 2 - I think it's loads different stations or something? GPU usage back up.
Perhaps a different location on the same station.

Mengy

Nah, I like having the added security of running with a shield. Besides, if I come across a wanted Novice or Harmless I'm collecting that bounty!

Mengy

NPCs can't interdict me, the interdiction is too easy to evade with them.

I was actually having a hard time evading interdictions last night, I evaded four but got caught by two, all NPC's. The two that caught me promptly got terminated however (thanks for the credits!). I don't know if it's just hard to evade while flying a stock Sidewinder or if I just need more practice at it.

Loving the game so far! Can't wait to see what they do with it when expansions come into play. I'm enjoying just discovering systems and selling the data and occasionally randomly finding wanted pilots and taking them out in my sidewinder. Great fun :D saving up for that good all rounder ship. 300,000 credits one, I forget the name.

So, going to start actually getting into this today, after I start knowing what Im doing and have enough credits to afford the insurance, should I switch to the Eagle? I dont have any issues docking or flying, got pretty comfy maneuvering the ship in the combat tutorials, but dunno how frequent/likely death is in an Eagle.

still cant download the damn thing. Loads of people on the elite forums with the same issue, downloader stops at 30% and stays there. Great.

Klyka

Banned
I know nothing about the game so I'm trying to learn some stuff. I'm watching http://www.twitch.tv/londongaming4fun and they are dropping items so Andy can pick them up and the items are duping themselves. Seems to be a huge bug unless you can't sell the dupe items.

Could be that there is a duping bug, but it doesn't really matter that much cause whether or not people have money is kinda meaningless in the grand scheme and is more important whether or not that destroys their own enjoyment or not.

arimanius

Could be that there is a duping bug, but it doesn't really matter that much cause whether or not people have money is kinda meaningless in the grand scheme and is more important whether or not that destroys their own enjoyment or not.

Cool. I'm trying to figure out how much like Eve this is so didn't know if economy plays a big role.

Klyka

Banned
I am going to be streaming a bit later on and it would be sweet to have some people watch. I think I can show off the game quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom