• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're mostly flying medium and smaller ships so the Courier isn't going to offer you much of a change of pace. I'm used to piloting the big pigs of the game so the switching out to a small, fast, and agile craft makes a huge difference. That and the Anaconda has a restricted view so getting into the Courier is a delight in that sense as well.

I have the DBE as well, but after being in the higher end Lakon ships, I can't shake the feeling of being in a budget craft every time I get in it.

I'll eventually buy back the Python so I can have an outpost trader, but that's not really high on the list of things to do. Likewise a FdL won't happen until I'm an Elite trader, or trading kills me - whichever comes first.
God bless for going hard in trading. Not for me, nor was exploring. I only do those things during times of extreme boredom. Like, too disinterested in playing any other games, nothing on TV, don't feel like talking here, AND don't feel like farming CZs or RESs. Then I'll go trading.

Like, if I can take a coffee break and be making progress, it's not for me.

Zalusithix

God bless for going hard in trading. Not for me, nor was exploring. I only do those things during times of extreme boredom. Like, too disinterested in playing any other games, nothing on TV, don't feel like talking here, AND don't feel like farming CZs or RESs. Then I'll go trading.

Like, if I can take a coffee break and be making progress, it's not for me.

Coffee break is more exploring. Getting to those multi-K Ls locations can take ages.

Trading is all about making the most efficient use of time, so station distance from the jump point is a huge factor. anything over 800ls isn't even up for consideration. Typically they'll be less than 300ls away. Ideal routes will have them less than 100ls away. Route planning is almost half the 'game'. A poor route will be simultaneously boring and lacking in profits. A good route will have minimal downtime and be consistently paying out.

Once the route is set and verified, it's almost a race when you're maximizing the loop. The landing clearance sequence is burned into muscle memory where I do it blindly while lining up the approach so as to not waste any time doing one thing in the place of the other. (GUI animation turned off, forced head turn to gui panel also off.) Similarly, if I can't get the next nav point locked into the computer before ship release, I'll have the panel locked on, and select it via the memorized light year distance that I can just barely see in the corner of the screen as I'm taking off. On multi jump routes it's a matter of engaging the FSD before you're line with the destination so as to not waste time charging, but at the same time not engaging it so soon that you suffer heat damage from the star. So yeah, you're not constantly jockeying for position and firing off weapons, but at the same time there's actually not much down time. A few moments respite between flurries of activity is a rather accurate description.

I will admit, however, that I'm not doing things as hardcore as I was before I got the 'Conda. Part of it is that after being in a "go go go" mode for so long grinding to this point, I'm feeling a bit burned out. That would have happened regardless of what path I took though. Another part of it is that I've hit my primary initial goal of getting the best ship for trading - which is coincidentally also the most expensive ship in the game. There's no longer a next step for me within the trading realm aside from the nebulous goal of hitting elite. Thus the planning of a large non-loop trade path. Something that'll be a change of pace and bring me all around the galaxy. Hopefully by the time I complete that journey I'll be refreshed enough to focus on cranking out the last hundreds of millions to get elite.

Edit: Also, you're a crazy bastard for running zero SYS pips while in combat. Your shields are crying. =P

Coffee break is more exploring. Getting to those multi-K Ls locations can take ages.

Trading is all about making the most efficient use of time, so station distance from the jump point is a huge factor. anything over 800ls isn't even up for consideration. Typically they'll be less than 300ls away. Ideal routes will have them less than 100ls away. Route planning is almost half the 'game'. A poor route will be simultaneously boring and lacking in profits. A good route will have minimal downtime and be consistently paying out.

Once the route is set and verified, it's almost a race when you're maximizing the loop. The landing clearance sequence is burned into muscle memory where I do it blindly while lining up the approach so as to not waste any time doing one thing in the place of the other. (GUI animation turned off, forced head turn to gui panel also off.) Similarly, if I can't get the next nav point locked into the computer before ship release, I'll have the panel locked on, and select it via the memorized light year distance that I can just barely see in the corner of the screen as I'm taking off. On multi jump routes it's a matter of engaging the FSD before you're line with the destination so as to not waste time charging, but at the same time not engaging it so soon that you suffer heat damage from the star. So yeah, you're not constantly jockeying for position and firing off weapons, but at the same time there's actually not much down time. A few moments respite between flurries of activity is a rather accurate description.

I will admit, however, that I'm not doing things as hardcore as I was before I got the 'Conda. Part of it is that after being in a "go go go" mode for so long grinding to this point, I'm feeling a bit burned out. That would have happened regardless of what path I took though. Another part of it is that I've hit my primary initial goal of getting the best ship for trading - which is coincidentally also the most expensive ship in the game. There's no longer a next step for me within the trading realm aside from the nebulous goal of hitting elite. Thus the planning of a large non-loop trade path. Something that'll be a change of pace and bring me all around the galaxy. Hopefully by the time I complete that journey I'll be refreshed enough to focus on cranking out the last hundreds of millions to get elite.

Edit: Also, you're a crazy bastard for running zero SYS pips while in combat. Your shields are crying. =P
I see I see.

As for the pips, I switched my FdL build to 4 multis and a C4 accelerator. 3 pips in sys at all times now and it's fun as shit. But only for CZs and PvP. Gotta run all lasers for long RES runs without having to leave and lose a good spawn table.

Soi-Fong

If there's one negative thing about playing in the Oculus, it's that Frontier still hasn't fixed the galaxy map in the Rift.. Hard to navigate around it and stuff.

Finally got to Imperial space from Federation space. Gonna stop w/ the RES sites for a lil while and try to focus on improving my imperial rank?

Do you guys know what kind of missions contribute a lot to improving rank?

Anyway, I know dreams advised against it, but I gotta get that Imperial Courier. The Clipper is beautiful too, but it doesn't hit me like the Courier does. I'm a 3D Modeler and Texturer and that ship model is just scrumptious!! I gotta have it. I'm greedy like that. lol

Shifty76

If there's one negative thing about playing in the Oculus, it's that Frontier still hasn't fixed the galaxy map in the Rift.. Hard to navigate around it and stuff.

Finally got to Imperial space from Federation space. Gonna stop w/ the RES sites for a lil while and try to focus on improving my imperial rank?

Do you guys know what kind of missions contribute a lot to improving rank?

Anyway, I know dreams advised against it, but I gotta get that Imperial Courier. The Clipper is beautiful too, but it doesn't hit me like the Courier does. I'm a 3D Modeler and Texturer and that ship model is just scrumptious!! I gotta have it. I'm greedy like that. lol

Assassination, donate $ and donate goods items seem to give the biggest boosts. I really should grind out that last Imperial rank at some point...

Zalusithix

Missions have an "effect on reputation" value that you can see before you accept them. Ultimately though you'll probably end up taking on virtually everything they throw at you that can be accomplished quickly.

It's probably also worthy to note that trading boosts your reputation with the minor factions controlling the stations you're trading with. You need to do quite a bit of it to have a real effect on reputation though. Also, while it does boost rep, you still need to have done missions as well to get the ascension offerings. Reputation alone isn't sufficient.

Soi-Fong

Missions have an "effect on reputation" value that you can see before you accept them. Ultimately though you'll probably end up taking on virtually everything they throw at you that can be accomplished quickly.

It's probably also worthy to note that trading boosts your reputation with the minor factions controlling the stations you're trading with. You need to do quite a bit of it to have a real effect on reputation though. Also, while it does boost rep, you still need to have done missions as well to get the ascension offerings. Reputation alone isn't sufficient.

I saw some of these missions are basically fetch quests looking for a certain good. I'm guessing it's best to use a 3rd party website to try to see which systems have those?

The assassination missions are fun. I used the interdictor for the first time yesterday and it feels soo good in the Rift to pull em out of hyperspace and then proceed to destroy them. lol

Assassination, donate $ and donate goods items seem to give the biggest boosts. I really should grind out that last Imperial rank at some point...

will take you 20 minutes, max. grinding rank has been grossly simplified. it took me like a month to get to Earl, and about 1.5 hours total to go from Earl to King.

I saw some of these missions are basically fetch quests looking for a certain good. I'm guessing it's best to use a 3rd party website to try to see which systems have those?

The assassination missions are fun. I used the interdictor for the first time yesterday and it feels soo good in the Rift to pull em out of hyperspace and then proceed to destroy them. lol

As for the best missions to take: Anything that states it will give you "high" reputation. That can be anything. Just read the full description of the mission. If you don't see any "high" reputation missions, do a medium trade or courier mission to a nearby system and check their bulletin board after delivering/picking up goods. Be careful of assassination missions that mention killing someone that has "a crew", because it usually means Interdicting a WING. For assassination missions, that might be something like Python + Vulture + Viper. They can fuck you up.

1.) Always take missions from Imperial factions and NEVER take missions of any kind from factions that are not Imperial aligned. If you're not sure which those are, consult the right HUD menu that shows your rank and what local minor factions are around.

2.) Always do the donation missions. You don't have to even leave the station and they never ask for much. Usually just a few thousand credits.

3.) Take courier missions and goods run missions when you can't find any other types of high reputation missions. Do "medium" rep gain missions when there are no "high" missions. Ignore "Low rep" missions entirely.

4.) Don't worry about the money you'll get paid for these missions; they're not why you're grinding rank anyway.

I recommend this tool for finding specific items you need to purchase to complete a mission: http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/. Rarely fails me.

Zalusithix

Use an external resource for those quests. Two seconds on one of the sites will have you pointed at the closest station selling it. It'll take longer setting the nav point in game. ;)

will take you 20 minutes, max. grinding rank has been grossly simplified. it took me like a month to get to Earl, and about 1.5 hours total to go from Earl to King.

2.) Always do the donation missions. You don't have to even leave the station and they never ask for much. Usually just a few thousand credits.
Sure you just didn't get lucky? Perhaps it kept track of past missions and counted them?

I saw one donation mission that asked for an absurd amount. It was in the hundreds of thousands. Perhaps it was a glitch as I haven't seen any like that since. I didn't take it at the time as that was back when that amount was still significant to me.

Shifty76

I saw one donation mission that asked for an absurd amount. It was in the hundreds of thousands. Perhaps it was a glitch as I haven't seen any like that since. I didn't take it at the time as that was back when that amount was still significant to me.

I've seen several asking for 4 million cr

Sure you just didn't get lucky? Perhaps it kept track of past missions and counted them?

I've never seen a donation costing more than 15k and I've done every one I've seen.

interesting to hear they can go that much higher.

I've seen several asking for 4 million cr
either a bug or a new thing. when PP came out this was certainly not the case.

Shifty76

I've never seen a donation costing more than 15k and I've done every one I've seen.

interesting to hear they can go that much higher.

either a bug or a new thing. when PP came out this was certainly not the case.

Nope, they're far before pp came out. Usually in systems that were at war and the losing faction wanted the cash to boost their war effort. The winning faction would also have them but would only ask for 40k or so.

Here's a random reddit thread about one (with screenshot):

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...ion_to_donate_4000000_credits_is_this_normal/

Soi-Fong

I have to admit, I'm having a hard time finding a good system that can provide me good imperial missions. All the ones I've been in only offer low reputation or non are offered at all from the imperial faction within the system.

Zalusithix

I have to admit, I'm having a hard time finding a good system that can provide me good imperial missions. All the ones I've been in only offer low reputation or non are offered at all from the imperial faction within the system.

Either you're just having bad luck, or they're locked behind getting to friendly rep first.

Go to the core systems of Power Play faction powers.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
No dev update this week, maybe next week:

Michael Brookes said:
No dev update from me this week - there will be one next week.

Michael

RES hunting tip of the day: Don't take on a wing of 3+ by yourself unless you know you can kill the lead ship in under 45 seconds or so. Longer than that and the smaller wings damage output quickly adds up, forcing you to either pop more banks or chaff than you really wanted to for a single big ship kill. If you're not sure, wait for the cops to start attacking the wing. Or yolo.

I did about $14 mill over 2 RES runs last night and those were the things that stood out the most. Since the idea is being able to stay as long as possible in a decent spawn table RES site, conservation of cell banks and chaff becomes more important than at a CZ where you only expect to get maybe an hour max before heading back to rearm. In a RES site, you want to be able to stay twice as long...which means saving banks and chaff until you really need them. Taking on wings of 3 without any police support made my stays much more...exciting...than they needed to be. Nowadays, small wing ships (Vipers, Cobras, Couriers) are packing Plasma Accelerators and Rail guns with unlimited ammo and no fucks to give. Be aware, dispatch enemies quickly, and evaluate every member in a wing before committing. The best decision may be to wait for the next fat target.

Ah never thought of that.. Yeah, that might actually be smart. Not really planning on participating in Power Play though.

You don't need to participate; you just need to use the PP view to find where you need to go. You can safely assume that the core systems for PP faction leaders are extremely high population systems with multiple Imperial-aligned minor factions. Since those are what you're looking for, it's a safe bet that you'll find plenty of jobs in those locations.

RES hunting tip of the day: Don't take on a wing of 3+ by yourself unless you know you can kill the lead ship in under 45 seconds or so. Longer than that and the smaller wings damage output quickly adds up, forcing you to either pop more banks or chaff than you really wanted to for a single big ship kill. If you're not sure, wait for the cops to start attacking the wing. Or yolo.

Honestly, I handle Wings completely differently: go after the fastest and/or weakest ship first. Separate them from the slower/more powerful ships, finish them off, then focus on the big guy.

Honestly, I handle Wings completely differently: go after the fastest and/or weakest ship first. Separate them from the slower/more powerful ships, finish them off, then focus on the big guy.

I tried a bit of that and had mixed results. I found had a bit of trouble remembering what key on my stick I had bound to "next enemy target", but even when I got it down, chasing around a couple of small ships in a big Python took more time than it would have taken to just kill the primary target ship in the first place, affording said big ship the opportunity to pound away for free. If given the choice between a Python/Clipper pounding on me or a couple of Vipers, I'll take the Vipers every time.

Generally speaking, if you dispatch the lead ship the support ships will flee. So unless you want to be bothered killing 10k credit gnats, I still suggest killing that big ship first. If you can't kill the big ship in 30-45 seconds or less, it's time to look at your weapon loadout or just be sure to not try to 1v3+. Ships below a Vulture should look to engage such wings with wingmates or using the cops as a meat shield (wolflpack). NPC wings with big ships/big weapons in them just have too much damage output potential if you can't kill them quickly, IMO.

I tried a bit of that and had mixed results. I found had a bit of trouble remembering what key on my stick I had bound to "next enemy target", but even when I got it down, chasing around a couple of small ships in a big Python took more time than it would have taken to just kill the primary target ship in the first place, affording said big ship the opportunity to pound away for free. If given the choice between a Python/Clipper pounding on me or a couple of Vipers, I'll take the Vipers every time.

Generally speaking, if you dispatch the lead ship the support ships will flee. So unless you want to be bothered killing 10k credit gnats, I still suggest killing that big ship first. If you can't kill the big ship in 30-45 seconds or less, it's time to look at your weapon loadout or just be sure to not try to 1v3+. Ships below a Vulture should look to engage such wings with wingmates or using the cops as a meat shield (wolflpack). NPC wings with big ships/big weapons in them just have too much damage output potential if you can't kill them quickly, IMO.

Ooooh, okay, I think I see where our differences lie: our ships! I use a Vulture, so it's pretty easy to separate/pick off little guys, boost away to let shields recover (if needed), then focus on the big guys. I've had lots of situations where I'm working on a Python or Anaconda and suddenly two Vipers or Viper + Cobra start harassing me and almost destroy my shields.

Makes sense that the Python would need a different strategy.

Ooooh, okay, I think I see where our differences lie: our ships! I use a Vulture, so it's pretty easy to separate/pick off little guys, boost away to let shields recover (if needed), then focus on the big guys. I've had lots of situations where I'm working on a Python or Anaconda and suddenly two Vipers or Viper + Cobra start harassing me and almost destroy my shields.

Makes sense that the Python would need a different strategy.

Yea that makes a lot of sense. I can barely remember my Vulture days, as I only had it for maybe 2 weeks before trading it in for a Clipper. But the game was different then. NPC wings in RES sites were much more rare and much less hard-hitting.

The total damage output from NPC wings is also why I don't take my FdL to RES sites much anymore. I only run 1 SSB on that ship (just preference) and having to spend a lot of time waiting for shields to recharge means bounty opportunities being missed. RES sites for those of us who still want to stack money continue to be about efficiency. Taking as few breaks from the fighting to charge up shields, focusing Power Plants, and killing off as many NPCs as you can is how you pile up the money quickly while incurring minimal damage. That's why I usually go in my Python. Gratuitous damage output (2x C3 Plasma Accelerators, 1x C3 Beam + 2x C2 Pulses) and the ability to tank quite a bit of damage with 4 SCB's. But yea, getting kited by small ships can cause quite a bit of time to be wasted and gives enemy wings the opportunity to take a lot of pot shots. Pros and cons, I suppose.

I look forward to the day when money is no longer a concern so that I can feel free to just go and waste time trying to fight ships in my Courier or DbE.

Yep, in a vulture you can take down the little guys quickly - and you're fast/agile enough that the big guys have a hard time hitting you while you're in a dogfight with their little buddies.

Even so, a general rule is "Wings of 3, leave them be" (until the space-cops arrive).

The vulture is also very efficient since you'll probably use two pulse lasers. Shield regen can be a bugger though. There aren't enough internals to get many shield cells.

One day I'll have enough for a Python.

Has anybody come across "Trinkets of Hidden Fortune"? Some say it might be related to the space Illuminati. They have an ominous description, but are worth very little. What do?

Edit: Made it to Sagittarius A* a few days ago, and I'm now making my way back in time for the exploration CG. I'll snap pics while I'm at it as well.

Elite_Highrez_8.png

HelloMeow

Or take out the smaller ships first.

Lime

Has anybody come across "Trinkets of Hidden Fortune"? Some say it might be related to the space Illuminati. They have an ominous description, but are worth very little. What do?

Edit: Made it to Sagittarius A* a few days ago, and I'm now making my way back in time for the exploration CG. I'll snap pics while I'm at it as well.

Wow, what an amazing shot. Keep 'em coming.

SmartBase

My trade routes kept drying up quicker than California's water supply so I turned my trade 'conda into a RES 'conda. It's nowhere near as profitable but it's highly entertaining taking on so many ships at once and not having to outfit and use SCBs.

Zalusithix

My trade routes kept drying up quicker than California's water supply so I turned my trade 'conda into a RES 'conda. It's nowhere near as profitable but it's highly entertaining taking on so many ships at once and not having to outfit and use SCBs.

Do your routes involve imperial slaves? If so, yeah, the popular ones get sucked dry quite quickly.

Soi-Fong

I'm a fucking idiot.. I should've taken those Navy Ascension missions when they showed up. One after another showed up to me, but I didn't take them. I thought I had to constantly gain reputation and though the ranking system in Elite went in a linear way where you progress up.

Reading online though, RNG is involved which fucking sucks...

Or take out the smaller ships first.

You're quite late.

I'm a fucking idiot.. I should've taken those Navy Ascension missions when they showed up. One after another showed up to me, but I didn't take them. I thought I had to constantly gain reputation and though the ranking system in Elite went in a linear way where you progress up.

Reading online though, RNG is involved which fucking sucks...

Only take one at a time even if multiple show up at once. It will only count one of them. After you do one, reset the game to get an updated list of what missions are actually available.

Taking on more than one ascension mission is just a waste of your time.

Newsletter is out.

Introducing CQC

At E3 we announced our new PVP mode, Close Quarters Combat. CQC is coming to Elite: Dangerous for PC, Mac and Xbox One later this year, for free.

c8f1b45a-882d-481f-8ac3-6c20360d59b6.jpg

CQC goes beyond our original vision for Elite: Dangerous. It's a new PVP mode accessed from the main menu, launching you into instant combat on custom maps in twelve-player Free For All Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture The Flag (in the Xbox One Game Preview beta).

Last week we revealed the trailer and spoke with CQC's designers, James Stimpson and Dan Davies. We also showed five minutes of CQC gameplay behind closed doors to press. You can catch a glimpse of that footage in Microsoft's E3 Daily show here (at 31:50).

The map on show is Orbital Junction and the ship is the new player-piloted F63 Falcon. It's one of the three ships you can fly in the CQC Xbox One beta and you can read all about them in James and Dan's interview.

6345b8fc-c5a5-4e18-9c2d-08333c1c001e.jpg

If you're playing on PC or Mac, don't worry. CQC is coming this year and it's free. CQC is being made by a dedicated team of PC, Mac and Xbox One players too, and we don't want anyone left out of the fight.

The Elite: Dangerous team is bigger than ever, and the majority are working on something secret for PC and Mac. It's not quite ready for the world just yet, but we'll be able to tell you more at Gamescom. Believe us: we can hardly wait.

Sneak peak of Condor, which will be in CQC and will replace the Condor in the game (slightly modified from the current model):

5678e782-551e-448b-ad0c-28c83921af68.png

TheTrain

The Elite: Dangerous team is bigger than ever, and the majority are working on something secret for PC and Mac. It's not quite ready for the world just yet, but we'll be able to tell you more at Gamescom. Believe us: we can hardly wait.

Please be EVA, please be EVA

The stuttering still occurs in Supercruise for me. I don't think they'll ever get to the bottom of it. I had a little hope left with 1.3 but the optimizations they came up with still haven't fixed the stutter that occurs as I approach planets in supercruise.

Zalusithix

You're quite late.

Only take one at a time even if multiple show up at once. It will only count one of them. After you do one, reset the game to get an updated list of what missions are actually available.

Taking on more than one ascension mission is just a waste of your time.

Yep, never take an ascension mission before the current one has been finished. They're already buggy enough as missions. No need to guarantee wasted time.

Zalusithix

Eh, I have zero interest in that. Just let me do stuff while flying my ship. That's what Elite has always been about.

Dunno, I'd like to get down to that massive panoramic window at the 'Conda's nose. That sucker is a full 180 degrees of horizontal view with absolutely no bars or other reinforcements blocking the view.

Shifty76

Dunno, I'd like to get down to that massive panoramic window at the 'Conda's nose. That sucker is a full 180 degrees of horizontal view with absolutely no bars or other reinforcements blocking the view.
Fair enough. So you do that maybe once or twice, but what does that really add in terms of game longevity?

frontieruk

Fair enough. So you do that maybe once or twice, but what does that really add in terms of game longevity?

Planetary landings comes from that small step though, perhaps gathering areas for people on stations, you have to look at the long term at what it actually opens to the dev team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom