• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

This would be amazing. Think of the possibilities when they eventually get around to allowing us to walk around the ships. You could form teams with friends who help fund the ship (depending on cost) whilst they park in the belly and use it as a base of ops. Sign me the hell up for that idea.

I agree this would be cool but I feel like I've read bits about them not wanting to go down the player owned capital ships and stations etc. Wanting to keep it first person cockpit gameplay in frigate size ships or lower.

Shifty76

SmartBase

Anything involving imperial slaves is highly volatile. They're currently one of the most profitable commodities - consistently netting over 2500cr/ton. People seek these out, and eventually the source will hit Thrudd's/etc for a quick loop suggestion. Once that happens, the slaves will quickly begin depleting. Even something with many tens of thousands as a source can be wiped clean within a week or less; at that point it's just a race against time.

So you have a choice. If you stick to the less profitable commodities, they'll last a lot longer and your route typically wont evaporate overnight. Else you can keep with the slaves, but constantly have multiple routes (sources) laid out ahead of time so you can shift when needed to.

Yeah I did that for a while but my impatience got the better of me and I couldn't find more normal routes without using trading tools, so here I am in a combat 'conda.

Hey everyone. For some reason this game went totally under my radar. Learning more about it has me super intrigued.

Quick question, is the game even worth playing with a controller? I don't have any flight sticks or anything but am still interested.

Shifty76

Whee!

JODxqQv.jpg

Burny

Quick question, is the game even worth playing with a controller? I don't have any flight sticks or anything but am still interested.

After having dabbled with a HOTAS, mouse+keyboard and a gamepad setup, sure. I found fixed weapon aiming with a gamepad difficult though, so I'd recommend sticking to gimbaled weapons. For some functions you might want to keep a keyboard ready (or use voice attack).

This would be amazing. Think of the possibilities when they eventually get around to allowing us to walk around the ships. You could form teams with friends who help fund the ship (depending on cost) whilst they park in the belly and use it as a base of ops. Sign me the hell up for that idea.

What sort of ops? There's nothing in the game right now that needs a concerted group of players. That's the tripping point for making it a game and not a space-truck sim. And I say this from a point of love, I really want to see the gameplay become more engaging than just a beautiful, fantastic simulator.

Burny

What sort of ops? There's nothing in the game right now that needs a concerted group of players. That's the tripping point for making it a game and not a space-truck sim. And I say this from a point of love, I really want to see the gameplay become more engaging than just a beautiful, fantastic simulator.
Yeah, the game has so much untapped potential, it's ridiculous.

Once I get back I may re-outfit my FDL like this: http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...400004a5d5d2o66.Iw1-gDJJA===.EwBh1UEYZt4RIA==

Thats close to 200m ;)
Well, that's clearly not what I meant, but let's look at this. First, putting armor upgrades on ships right now when they don't protect modules is very much a waste of money. But do as you wish.

More importantly, the build is sub-optimal based on my experiences. I'm running roughly the same setup and have tried a number of combinations, so I should know. You'll have to drop 2 of those shield boosters and plan to toggle the cell banks and rearrange your priorities. The extra boosters aren't worth having if it means not having banks immediately available.

I'd strongly recommend something more like this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...2050400004a5e5e2o66.Iw1-gDKQ.EwBh1MrBGHqhIA==

4B cell banks gives more total shield boosting and requires less energy. The goal here is to get under 100% with what you need deployed, and my build linked does that without having to retract your weapons in the middle of combat to use shield cell banks (which is generally an awful idea because depending on the alpha damage you're receiving, you simply may not have time for that before your shields are gone). Having life support offline is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of though, so I kept that in the build above. Good way to give yourself an extra few % to throw somewhere else. I also dropped one of the boosters to B grade so you can have a heat sink launcher (essential for combat when shields are offline to remain invisible while you pound away in Silent running).

And personally, I'd recommend a 4A fuel scoop until you get where you're going. There is nothing worse than that jump range and tank capacity and no way to quickly scoop. FdL gets very hot very quickly. With a 2A fuel scoop, you'll spend 2-3 minutes at a star scooping. Fuck that.

Zalusithix

It's been awhile since I manually screwed with power to the modules, but doesn't cutting off power to life support immediately put you into your reserve oxygen time? (Which seems counter-intuitive, but I'm pretty sure I remember it doing that.)

used to play Frontier on the Amiga all the time so picked this up on the X1.

Currently playing on 'Solo' mode until I get to grips with the main functions (mainly looking to play as a trader)

When's good time to move into the 'Open' world?

It's been crashing quite a bit since the update on Xbox for me. Really annoying. According to the official forum they are aware of the issue and others are experiencing it, but there's no news of an update.

Sucks, as I am loving this game and can't see me playing anything else at the moment.

It's been awhile since I manually screwed with power to the modules, but doesn't cutting off power to life support immediately put you into your reserve oxygen time? (Which seems counter-intuitive, but I'm pretty sure I remember it doing that.)
Yes it would. But with an A-rated life support system giving you 25 minutes, all you have to do is retract the hard points to "reset" the 25 minute timer.

It's ghetto as hell, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. If you're okay with a countdown timer making your already busy HUD more busy, you can free up more power for other stuff. It's a really cool idea and I'm glad he posted that build. At first I was like, "wtf?" But then I thought about how long the A-grade life support lasts and really like the idea for energy starved ships like FdL and Vulture. Just close the hardpoints and reopen them in between fights to reset the timer. Just can't AFK with the hardpoints deployed. lol

With that build,, I can add the second chaff launcher I wanted but couldn't run until now because I couldn't manage anymore power. Makes me feel like the Python should really be the luxury bounty hunting boat. I never want for more power. I think the only way I could run into power issues on my Python is if I tried to run 5 beams. Maybe not even then. Amazing ship.

Zalusithix

Yeah, I suppose with an A grade it isn't that big of a deal. When I try to maximize for trading, I'll only have a D grade equipped. So when I saw it click over to reserve air the first time the hardpoints deployed, I quickly set a "never deactivate life support" rule in my head.

Though you could still get screwed if you were close to the wire and had a canopy blow out. Unlikely, but would suck just the same.

It's been crashing quite a bit since the update on Xbox for me. Really annoying. According to the official forum they are aware of the issue and others are experiencing it, but there's no news of an update.

Sucks, as I am loving this game and can't see me playing anything else at the moment.

There was an update? What did it do/fix?

I'm holding off on telling friends to check this out until they fix open play, friends list, and missions.

Yeah, I suppose with an A grade it isn't that big of a deal. When I try to maximize for trading, I'll only have a D grade equipped. So when I saw it click over to reserve air the first time the hardpoints deployed, I quickly set a "never deactivate life support" rule in my head.

Though you could still get screwed if you were close to the wire and had a canopy blow out. Unlikely, but would suck just the same.
yea that's why I was momentarily confused too. I just had it as a hard rule in my mind. Also, as long as you reset it every 15 minutes you should never be screwed. All you really need in a combat ship is ten minutes. Just don't be neglectful and you'll be fine.

There was an update? What did it do/fix?

I'm holding off on telling friends to check this out until they fix open play, friends list, and missions.

It was general stability and bug fixes I think, but it was about 800mb. I didn't really notice any difference apart from it crashing, which I suspect is not what they were going for...

Soi-Fong

So awesome to hear people are liking this game!!! :)

Hopefully, the PS4 version releases soon so Frontier gets more funds in.

frontieruk

It was general stability and bug fixes I think, but it was about 800mb. I didn't really notice any difference apart from it crashing, which I suspect is not what they were going for...

To be honest it crashes about as much as before the update, the frame rate seems more stable though.

Not sure if they were posted, but the xbone update notes

Client Side updates:

Fixed crash in supercruise
Crash fix for drone authority transfer
Optimised shadows
Audio optimisations
Fix some account switching issues
Enabled compute FXAA shader
Cleaner network shutdown process
Fix low skilled ships appearing in RES points and conflict zones
Added overhead field to power overview page
Make headlook axes customisable on XB1, and the pitch is invertible
Rename the Main Menu's "Start" to "Full Game", for clarity
Various galaxy map usability improvements for controllers
Focusable UI elements now have a stronger focus indicator - including the whole left panel / popup panel themselves
Separate mesh for the galaxy map UI to fit within the safeframe
Default is the default controls preset

Server side updates:

Fix number of visited systems statistic not updating
Fix incorrect part-exchange and insurance rebuy costs for ships
Reliability improvement in local starport news

Apt101

I had no idea this game existed. It showed up in my Steam suggestion-thingy and I bought it right away.

I am going to become the best person at blowing up miners. I'm not even going to steal their cargo. I just want to blow them up.

Zalusithix

Well, I was going to start on the trade journey tonight, but I just got notification that I've completed the queue stage of my trade-up to the 980ti. Not much point on starting a trade route when the computer will be out of commission for a few days at the least. Trade decay on a route that big will be bad enough without days of zero progress. I guess I'll start it up after everything is back up and running and confirmed stable.

I had no idea this game existed. It showed up in my Steam suggestion-thingy and I bought it right away.

I am going to become the best person at blowing up miners. I'm not even going to steal their cargo. I just want to blow them up.

That doesn't seem like a very sensible game plan. Incur bounties for zero reward. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but I can't imagine you'll be doing that for long.

Apt101

Well, I was going to start on the trade journey tonight, but I just got notification that I've completed the queue stage of my trade-up to the 980ti. Not much point on starting a trade route when the computer will be out of commission for a few days at the least. Trade decay on a route that big will be bad enough without days of zero progress. I guess I'll start it up after everything is back up and running and confirmed stable.

That doesn't seem like a very sensible game plan. Incur bounties for zero reward. I mean, whatever floats your boat, but I can't imagine you'll be doing that for long.

It's cool, I played 30 minutes and got a refund through Steam. This game is just not fun at all. I should have researched more before diving in.

Soi-Fong

It's cool, I played 30 minutes and got a refund through Steam. This game is just not fun at all. I should have researched more before diving in.

lol To each their own I guess. I would have given this game more than 30 minutes though. A quick 20 minute Youtube starter guide video would have given you some direction to go to.

Burny

lol To each their own I guess. I would have given this game more than 30 minutes though. A quick 20 minute Youtube starter guide video would have given you some direction to go to.

You can't please everybody. Whoever decides after 30 minutes that Elite isn't for them, was either expecting it to be something very different from what it is or doesn't bring the patience with them, to play the game in the first place.

Man, I think it took 30 minutes just to get all my controls and key bindings setup in the game.

Same here, I haven't played recently but I started back up. Steam says I have 22 hours of playtime and I still don't really know what I'm doing. A lot of trial and error, but I don't mind. However, this type of game definitely isn't for anyone, very niche player base.

Zalusithix

You can't please everybody. Whoever decides after 30 minutes that Elite isn't for them, was either expecting it to be something very different from what it is or doesn't bring the patience with them, to play the game in the first place.

Eh, some folks are looking for instant gratification, which is not what they are going to ever get from ED.

Yep, while 30 minutes isn't enough to really evaluate the game, if a person makes a judgement in that span, they won't have the patience for the game anyhow. Elite isn't an instant gratification game. It rewards large time sinks and player creativity/imagination.

Man, I think it took 30 minutes just to get all my controls and key bindings setup in the game.
Indeed. While not all at once, I've definitely spent over an hour in the bindings menu switching things around until I was satisfied with them.

Apt101

Yea guys, I was expecting something faster paced. When I couldn't warp to the destination of my very first contract, I realized I was in the wrong game. Totally my fault, but at least I'm not eating $60.

About the controls, I actually found them easy and intuitive, especially being able to glance at your control panel in the cockpit and work it. That is awesome. Great looking and handling game. Just not for me.

Soi-Fong

This is a problem I feel like that will also be a part of No Man's Sky's launch. People are still confused on what you do in that. And judging from the presentations, it seems like they want it that way where people figure out what to do on their own.

Anyway, Apt101 your avatar is cool! lol I love Ponyo!

Zalusithix

This is a problem I feel like that will also be a part of No Man's Sky's launch. People are still confused on what you do in that. And judging from the presentations, it seems like they want it that way where people figure out what to do on their own.

Anyway, Apt101 your avatar is cool! lol I love Ponyo!

Yep, Elite just dumps you off in the world with a pittance of cash and then abandons you. Take a mission that's too hard for you? Enjoy death. Take a mission that's too far away to jump to? Tough luck. If you didn't watch all the training videos going in, you'll have no clue how anything is supposed to work. It's kind of a Spartan-esque introduction - weed out those without the conviction to see it through.

It's certainly a viable way to start a sandbox game, but it's also highly polarizing. I imagine they've gotten quite a number of refund requests due to it. People go in expecting all the pew pew fanciness that the trailer shows. Then they start the game up and find out that reality isn't quite so glamorous.

Soi-Fong

Yep, Elite just dumps you off in the world with a pittance of cash and then abandons you. Take a mission that's too hard for you? Enjoy death. Take a mission that's too far away to jump to? Tough luck. If you didn't watch all the training videos going in, you'll have no clue how anything is supposed to work. It's kind of a Spartan-esque introduction - weed out those without the conviction to see it through.

It's certainly a viable way to start a sandbox game, but it's also highly polarizing. I imagine they've gotten quite a number of refund requests due to it. People go in expecting all the pew pew fanciness that the trailer shows. Then they start the game up and find out that reality isn't quite so glamorous.

Yeah, that launch trailer really is misleading in so many ways. The battles are more frantic in that than what you actually get. CQC seems to kind of exude those frantic battles though.

I mean it's understandable in some ways. Hard to make a hard-hitting trailer with looking at lists and lists of commodities and looking through the bulletin board.

Agreed. Though I will say that the tutorials address a number of early issues. Many things (like knowing how far you can jump) come only through trial and...death.

Yeah, that launch trailer really is misleading in so many ways. The battles are more frantic in that than what you actually get. CQC seems to kind of exude those frantic battles though.
I don't think that's accurate.

Go to a high intensity Conflict Zone. Assuming your ship isn't completely overpowered, you can definitely get the blood flowing in those.

Apt101

I mean it's understandable in some ways. Hard to make a hard-hitting trailer with looking at lists and lists of commodities and looking through the bulletin board.

Haha, that is a great visual. Heart-pounding music as a it shows a person checking out contracts and zooming in and out of a map.

Yes, Ponyo is glorious. ;)

Soi-Fong

Agreed. Though I will say that the tutorials address a number of early issues. Many things (like knowing how far you can jump) come only through trial and...death.

Go to a high intensity Conflict Zone. Assuming your ship isn't completely overpowered, you can definitely get the blood flowing in those.

I mean it's true that you can get that in those zones. But for someone starting how will they know to go there for those kinds ofbattles? Along with that, many systems don't have those high intensity conflict zones so some people wouldn't even run into those until they just to decide to give up on the game.

Zalusithix

Blood pumping sure, but you wont be seeing massive battles near stations like in the trailer. Or dozens of ships mining an asteroid with a battle going on around them. Or being able to 180 a sidewinder nearly instantly (Star Citizen is that way -->). The trailer was/is deceptive. Just the same, I'm not sure how they'd make the "real" Elite exciting in trailer form. It's just not a game that lends itself well to quick marketing.

Still, the launch trailer is hardly all that's available these days when it comes to judging whether to get the game. Anybody that buys a game on trailers alone without looking at footage from real gamers (post release obviously) is gambling at best, or simply setting themselves up for disappointment at worst.

Soi-Fong

Blood pumping sure, but you wont be seeing massive battles near stations like in the trailer. Or dozens of ships mining an asteroid with a battle going on around them. Or being able to 180 a sidewinder nearly instantly (Star Citizen is that way -->). The trailer was/is deceptive. Just the same, I'm not sure how they'd make the "real" Elite exciting in trailer form. It's just not a game that lends itself well to quick marketing.

Still, the launch trailer is hardly all that's available these days when it comes to judging whether to get the game. Anybody that buys a game on trailers alone without looking at footage from real gamers (post release obviously) is gambling at best, or simply setting themselves up for disappointment at worst.

You know.. Thinking about it. I would love a great community event like that.

Shooting like crazy like that around stations will get you killed since the self-defense system would fry you.

But I would love a sort of event where many pilots gather say to destroy a space station, that's defended by many AI or even player controlled ships. That would be amazing.

brentech

Watched those Powerplay introduction videos...still don't really understand it at all. Feel like I've seen people say you can make more by being a part of a faction, but I'm not seeing where that comes in.
That said, still new to the game. Bought it during the steam sale, have about 47hrs sunk into it already.

Started off mostly trading in an Adder that I immediately upgraded to, and earlier today purchased a Diamondback Explorer. I like exploration and trade. At some point I might purchase one of the lower level combat ships just to scratch that itch.
But yeah....any reason I should get into Powerplay...or shouldn't?

Zalusithix

Watched those Powerplay introduction videos...still don't really understand it at all. Feel like I've seen people say you can make more by being a part of a faction, but I'm not seeing where that comes in.
That said, still new to the game. Bought it during the steam sale, have about 47hrs sunk into it already.

Started off mostly trading in an Adder that I immediately upgraded to, and earlier today purchased a Diamondback Explorer. I like exploration and trade. At some point I might purchase one of the lower level combat ships just to scratch that itch.
But yeah....any reason I should get into Powerplay...or shouldn't?

Some powers have trade bonuses when you're pledged to them. However, you're probably better off without being pledged to a power at your point in the game. You can still reap the passive benefits of all the powers, with none of the drawbacks of being pledged. Save the powerplay stuff for after you've progressed further. It's really an end game mechanic. Sure it can help you (and hinder) you at any point in the game, but since the bonuses are percentage based, you'll reap the most when you're already maxing out your earning potential.

DrBo42

Well, that's clearly not what I meant, but let's look at this. First, putting armor upgrades on ships right now when they don't protect modules is very much a waste of money. But do as you wish.

More importantly, the build is sub-optimal based on my experiences. I'm running roughly the same setup and have tried a number of combinations, so I should know. You'll have to drop 2 of those shield boosters and plan to toggle the cell banks and rearrange your priorities. The extra boosters aren't worth having if it means not having banks immediately available.

I'd strongly recommend something more like this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...2050400004a5e5e2o66.Iw1-gDKQ.EwBh1MrBGHqhIA==

4B cell banks gives more total shield boosting and requires less energy. The goal here is to get under 100% with what you need deployed, and my build linked does that without having to retract your weapons in the middle of combat to use shield cell banks (which is generally an awful idea because depending on the alpha damage you're receiving, you simply may not have time for that before your shields are gone). Having life support offline is an interesting idea I hadn't thought of though, so I kept that in the build above. Good way to give yourself an extra few % to throw somewhere else. I also dropped one of the boosters to B grade so you can have a heat sink launcher (essential for combat when shields are offline to remain invisible while you pound away in Silent running).

And personally, I'd recommend a 4A fuel scoop until you get where you're going. There is nothing worse than that jump range and tank capacity and no way to quickly scoop. FdL gets very hot very quickly. With a 2A fuel scoop, you'll spend 2-3 minutes at a star scooping. Fuck that.

Tried both of these yesterday, not a fan. Having the life support become disabled really messes with your awareness due to the sound dampening. Was surprised how much it threw me off.

Varvor

Yea guys, I was expecting something faster paced. When I couldn't warp to the destination of my very first contract, I realized I was in the wrong game. Totally my fault, but at least I'm not eating $60.

About the controls, I actually found them easy and intuitive, especially being able to glance at your control panel in the cockpit and work it. That is awesome. Great looking and handling game. Just not for me.

You might want to keep an eye on Star Citizen and No Mans Sky games....as both are geared towards faster play or more comdenced objectives and game play.

Now condensed can be subjectives as on micro scales SC has more advanced flight model and more detailed star systems (suposedly) but much fewer in number.

I enjoy ED, where my friends hate it....they kind of call it "Space Truck Simulator" due to its slow and cumbersome flight/control model...for me it allowes to be a good way to break in my X55 and learn how to navigate in space.

Tried both of these yesterday, not a fan. Having the life support become disabled really messes with your awareness due to the sound dampening. Was surprised how much it threw me off.

yea I found that out tonight too. I thought maybe the lifesupport resets its timer to max after you cycle hardpoint deployments. nope. so basically, you're limiting yourself to 5-25 minutes of combat before you have to go back to a space station.

absolutely awful. do NOT recommend to anyone. Get a standard C-grade life support. go with something like this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...60502060600004a5e5e2o66.Iw1-gDKQ.EwBh1MumuI==

if you want to run all fixed (only recommended for PvP or "fun").

Alternately, go for the mixed gimbaled + fixed (for general PvE and PvP) setup like one of these:

A) http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...70702070600004a5e5e2o66.Iw1-gDKQ.EwBh1MumuI== (weaker shield boosters but you get to keep the heat sink launcher and everything else.)

B) http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...2706-060700004a5e5e2o66.Iw1-gDKQ.EwBh1MumuI== (if you want to skip the heat sink launcher. slightly better boosters. and both offer sensors that are *not* ass.)

I usually run one of the later 2 depending on how much guaranteed damage I want vs the "fun" of aiming. I tend to get my aiming jollies from my C4 Plasma Accelerator. Every time I get a hit to a subsystem with that thing, I'm like
troll.gif

But yea, the Shifty build (compromised Life Support) is a definite no-go. Either of these 2 above will be much more enjoyable.

Soi-Fong

yea I found that out tonight too. I thought maybe the lifesupport resets its timer to max after you cycle hardpoint deployments. nope. so basically, you're limiting yourself to 5-25 minutes of combat before you have to go back to a space station.

absolutely awful. do NOT recommend to anyone. Get a standard C-grade life support. go with something like this:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...60502060600004a5e5e2o66.Iw1-gDKQ.EwBh1MumuI==

if you want to run all fixed (only recommended for PvP or "fun").

Alternately, go for the mixed gimbaled + fixed (for general PvE and PvP) setup like one of these:

A) http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...70702070600004a5e5e2o66.Iw1-gDKQ.EwBh1MumuI== (weaker shield boosters but you get to keep the heat sink launcher and everything else.)

B) http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...2706-060700004a5e5e2o66.Iw1-gDKQ.EwBh1MumuI== (if you want to skip the heat sink launcher. slightly better boosters. and both offer sensors that are *not* ass.)

I usually run one of the later 2 depending on how much guaranteed damage I want vs the "fun" of aiming. I tend to get my aiming jollies from my C4 Plasma Accelerator. Every time I get a hit to a subsystem with that thing, I'm like
troll.gif

But yea, the Shifty build (compromised Life Support) is a definite no-go. Either of these 2 above will be much more enjoyable.

Might as well stay with the A. The difference in price between C and A is negligible at best, at most a 100k+ credits. Having those 25 minutes of O2 I think is important.

I'd rather not have another situation where my cockpit gets breached and I make it to station w/ literally 5 seconds of O2 to spare.

On another note, I'll get to the Fer De Lance!! Eventually!! lol

Zalusithix

Might as well stay with the A. The difference in price between C and A is negligible at best, at most a 100k+ credits. Having those 25 minutes of O2 I think is important.

I'd rather not have another situation where my cockpit gets breached and I make it to station w/ literally 5 seconds of O2 to spare.

On another note, I'll get to the Fer De Lance!! Eventually!! lol

It's the power draw he's concerned about, not the price.

Edit: Though in this case, it looks like an A wouldn't push it over.

Edit 2: Actually, life support will turn off with deployment.... That doesn't seem like it's intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom