• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Fair enough. So you do that maybe once or twice, but what does that really add in terms of game longevity?

In and of itself? Not much. It is an essential stepping stone to having a multi-crewed ship though. I'm pretty sure that feature would add a lot for many people.

Having a multicrew team will be great--I really can't wait for that.

I just have no idea what to expect from planetary landings. How deep will it be? I want to be able to bring a team down onto an unknown planet, suit up, then go and explore the planet. Deploy land vehicles, scoop soil, analyze the atmosphere, search for life beneath icy surfaces, etc. I feel like I'm setting myself up for disappointment, though.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Eh, I have zero interest in that. Just let me do stuff while flying my ship. That's what Elite has always been about.

Me too honestly. The only two things I want EVA for is:

1. exiting our ships while out in space and manually repairing hull integrity

2. getting out and exploring planets on foot when our ships can land on planets, mostly just for the screenshots, lol

Other than those two things I could give a rat's ass about EVA.

Soi-Fong

I have to assume they'll balance the game so that this is an attractive/viable option vs just paying the costs and repairing it at a station.

Might as well make it realistic and have micro asteroids that can tear our bodies apart when in Eva.

Imagine the bloody goodness!!! Especially in RES areas! Lol :p

Zalusithix

<WhyNotBoth.gif>

Though for EDDB, if you can take the extra time to set up something like TradeDangerous, you'll get more mileage out of the same data. It'll allow more complex queries, and also allow you to update stuff for your own use (and optionally update the crowdsourced data).

Stone me for being a noob if you must, but I just got into this (X1). What should I be doing first? Saving up for a ship or modifying the one they start you with?

Any pointers and direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Stone me for being a noob if you must, but I just got into this (X1). What should I be doing first? Saving up for a ship or modifying the one they start you with?

What are you looking to do? Bounty Hunting? Trading? Mining? Exploring? or some kind of mix?

I say stay in the Sidewinder while you are familiarizing yourself with the game because there is no buy back charge unless you upgrade components. Once you feel you're comfortable, get a new ship.

If you are trading, you can upgrade to a Hauler or an Adder and then save for a Cobra which is kind of a game changer. It is a really excellent all purpose ship.

If you are focusing on combat, I'd wait until you can afford a Viper. Eagles are an earlier option but just be careful if you choose to go that way because they are fragile.

I do think that if you are unsure what you want to do. Saving for a Cobra is always a good idea. It opens up a lot of options.

Zalusithix

Both.

Currently any upgrades can be sold back for full price, so you lose nothing by upgrading the ship. However, to take advantage of the 100% resale, you must do this via stripping your ship before selling it. If you just sell the ship with the upgraded parts still on it, you'll only get the 90% back.

Once you get enough money to step up to a better ship (and still have enough money for insurance after) then you're pretty safe to do so. What you step up to depends on what you want to do.

Both.

Currently any upgrades can be sold back for full price, so you lose nothing by upgrading the ship. However, to take advantage of the 100% resale, you must do this via stripping your ship before selling it. If you just sell the ship with the upgraded parts still on it, you'll only get the 90% back.

Once you get enough money to step up to a better ship (and still have enough money for insurance after) then you're pretty safe to do so. What you step up to depends on what you want to do.

What are you looking to do? Bounty Hunting? Trading? Mining? Exploring? or some kind of mix?

I say stay in the Sidewinder while you are familiarizing yourself with the game because there is no buy back charge unless you upgrade components. Once you feel you're comfortable, get a new ship.

If you are trading, you can upgrade to a Hauler or an Adder and then save for a Cobra which is kind of a game changer. It is a really excellent all purpose ship.

If you are focusing on combat, I'd wait until you can afford a Viper. Eagles are an earlier option but just be careful if you choose to go that way because they are fragile.

I do think that if you are unsure what you want to do. Saving for a Cobra is always a good idea. It opens up a lot of options.

Thanks for this!!
I've been spending most of my time exploring, taking out pirates and people with bounties on them. Then when I go to refuel, I pick a trade or two and kill more pirates on my way to deliver.

This is really helpful though. Thanks. I'll start saving for a Cobra :)

SmartBase

Do your routes involve imperial slaves? If so, yeah, the popular ones get sucked dry quite quickly.

Now that I think about it, yeah I think they were. The first one lasted a good week until supply and demand started changing but before then the prices were pretty much static.

Soi-Fong

Thanks for this!!
I've been spending most of my time exploring, taking out pirates and people with bounties on them. Then when I go to refuel, I pick a trade or two and kill more pirates on my way to deliver.

This is really helpful though. Thanks. I'll start saving for a Cobra :)

You'll love the Cobra once you get it! it's awesome! Also, welcome to the game and good t see another CMDR!! :)

Zalusithix

Now that I think about it, yeah I think they were. The first one lasted a good week until supply and demand started changing but before then the prices were pretty much static.

Anything involving imperial slaves is highly volatile. They're currently one of the most profitable commodities - consistently netting over 2500cr/ton. People seek these out, and eventually the source will hit Thrudd's/etc for a quick loop suggestion. Once that happens, the slaves will quickly begin depleting. Even something with many tens of thousands as a source can be wiped clean within a week or less; at that point it's just a race against time.

So you have a choice. If you stick to the less profitable commodities, they'll last a lot longer and your route typically wont evaporate overnight. Else you can keep with the slaves, but constantly have multiple routes (sources) laid out ahead of time so you can shift when needed to.

Gwarf

Banned
Fun!

I just finished my first cargo mission. I didn't do the tutorial and so it was a little rough. Honestly, I love tinkering with things and so I like discovering how to do things anyway.

I have high hopes for the future of this game!

I got killed by a NPC pirate when I was trying to figure out how to get out of the hyper space thingy!

Fun!

I just finished my first cargo mission. I didn't do the tutorial and so it was a little rough. Honestly, I love tinkering with things and so I like discovering how to do things anyway.

I have high hopes for the future of this game!

I got killed by a NPC pirate when I was trying to figure out how to get out of the hyper space thingy!
do the tutorial missions. Too many things you won't know how to do or won't know exist as options.
Why "of course" actually finding it worth it, week to week?
Well now you're asking a different question. That answer will differ from person to person. Big trading bonuses. Big smuggling bonuses. Big bounty bonuses. Discounted parts. Being among the first to get a faction-upgraded weapon/shield. The opportunity to role play. A change of pace. All are reasons why anyone may be doing Power Play.

taoofjord

So I've been wanting this game for a while but was thinking of holding off until I get a VR headset and a joystick. Anyone tried this with a Rift dev kit? Is it possible to play it for extended periods of time or is it best for short experiences (what with all the barrel rolls during dog fights)? And does it play well with a controller or should I continue putting it off until I get a joystick?

Soi-Fong

So I've been wanting this game for a while but was thinking of holding off until I get a VR headset and a joystick. Anyone tried this with a Rift dev kit? Is it possible to play it for extended periods of time or is it best for short experiences (what with all the barrel rolls during dog fights)? And does it play well with a controller or should I continue putting it off until I get a joystick?

I can tell, I've only played this game in the Rift DK2 and it is GLORIOUS. Nothing I've tried on the DK2 beats Elite:Dangerous + X55 HOTAS. It's the most immersive experience I've tried in VR. It's not only immersive being INSIDE the ship but in combat being able to just follow your target is a game changer. This helps me especially w/ ships who are more agile than me like the Eagle and Vulture. I can honestly say that this is the second best gaming experience I've ever had (I'm a Shenmue fanboy so nothing will ever beat that).

Now for extended play, I've been able to go 4+ hours without taking off the headset. I have less a problem w/ motion sickness since I guess this game just handles VR so well. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who gets seas sick easy and cannot read a book in the car.

I would suggest a joystick, even a cheap one like the Thrust master ones. It really helps and immerses you in the game.

I also use voice attack which allows me to give voice commands which sounde a bit gimmicky at first but w/ the Rift it's amazing.

The one negative to the Rift that I can say is for some people, they won't be able to ignore the screen door effect and in Elite, the galaxy map is "kind of" unusable in the Rift.

Jedi2016

I haven't tried it lately in the Rift. The biggest problem I had previously was performance.. it would get juddery and couldn't hold high enough framerates. Otherwise, it's a great experience. I also get motion sickness pretty badly in VR, but I think Elite and titles like it get around it by having you sit in a static cockpit.. so you're not "really" moving. That really does make a big difference for people sensitive to it. I only get moments of dizziness when I roll the ship quickly (especially inside a station, and with something nimble like an Eagle or Vulture), but it's mild, so it ends up being kind of fun in a roller-coastery kind of way.

Has the performance in DK2 gotten any better lately?

Soi-Fong

I haven't tried it lately in the Rift. The biggest problem I had previously was performance.. it would get juddery and couldn't hold high enough framerates. Otherwise, it's a great experience. I also get motion sickness pretty badly in VR, but I think Elite and titles like it get around it by having you sit in a static cockpit.. so you're not "really" moving. That really does make a big difference for people sensitive to it. I only get moments of dizziness when I roll the ship quickly (especially inside a station, and with something nimble like an Eagle or Vulture), but it's mild, so it ends up being kind of fun in a roller-coastery kind of way.

Has the performance in DK2 gotten any better lately?

You sure it's not your computer? I get a lil bit of judder right when I start the game, but it goes away afterwards. Performance is rock solid for me even in RES sites.

DrBo42

Personal E:D lifetime goal reached. Next stop...uh...I dunno.

2291A6EB6D43799177840E873B0411C81399E830

Mengy

Well I just got back from a 3000+ LY tour of a few nebulas "near" civilized space. Turned in many hundreds of scanned systems at Lembava, I'm now in the top 40%, hopefully I stay up there but something tells me I'll probably drop as other explorers come in during this last week of the CG.

Here are a few pics I took during the journey:

Approaching the Veil West Nebula, a few others are in the distance that I'll also be hitting along the way.

Once inside it the blue tint fills the entire sky, very beautiful nebula.

Next it was on to the Veil East Nebula:

Next up was the Sadr Nebula, very colorful and bright:

Then it was on to the North American Nebula, an expansive region with reds and purples and blues:

The Elephants Trunk Nebula is a small one but very pretty up close:

That is the NGC 7822 Nebula in the background, a super bright region of blueish stars that had been in looming in my canopy for over a thousand light years, and it was where I was jumping to next, my final destination. In this picture the nebula is still over 800LY away!

The NGC 7822 region had many systems with huge blue stars in them, many of which have multiple stars and even black holes too, It was an awesome place to explore.

After turning all of this data in I made over 14 million credits from over 600 systems and made a crapton of first discoveries too. I think I'm going to use that money to outfit my DBX as a pure explorer and convert this Asp into a mining explorer for now. Gonna try out the new mining drones and see if it's any fun yet, maybe even profitable too.

frontieruk

Will the Xbox one version ever share the same universe as the PC? A cursory glance at power play shows that they aren't using the same backend at the moment :(

DrBo42

Great pics Mengy.

Will the Xbox one version ever share the same universe as the PC? A cursory glance at power play shows that they aren't using the same backend at the moment :(

It'll be an older version of the PC universe due to the version mismatch/delay from patches going to MSFT cert -> XBL roll out.

Mengy

They will share the same galaxy but not concurrently, in other words Xbox players can't play with PC players, they won't be able to see each other, but they will effect everything in the galaxy in real time, or at the same time. It will be like the Xbox players are in their own private group so to speak.

frontieruk

They will share the same galaxy but not concurrently, in other words Xbox players can't play with PC players, they won't be able to see each other, but they will effect everything in the galaxy in real time, or at the same time. It will be like the Xbox players are in their own private group so to speak.

Any idea when that'll be as it's not the case atm

frontieruk

My guess would be never. Largely due to the xb1 patch restrictions.

Odd as the impression braben gave was as mengey said as as the universe isn't really reliant on client side updates and the preview system kinda of waves the we need to cert that aside we've already had an 800mb patch since launch and knowing how long certs go and how the game still crashes...

Mengy

My guess would be never. Largely due to the xb1 patch restrictions.

Technically the Xbox1 version is still in early access. They've said that once it "releases" they will both use the same galaxy, just in different instances. I don't think their is a date for that yet though.

I'm still irked there's not much exponential growth in cash flow outside of trading. Enough that I've been staying out until something else happens to let casual-ish players eventually get enough for large, well-outfitted ships.

As weird and mostly crappy as the X games were, at least you had the opportunity to build autonomous trade empires that would fund your other activities.

Qasiel

As weird and mostly crappy as the X games were, at least you had the opportunity to build autonomous trade empires that would fund your other activities.

I'd really like it if at some point we could build and operate our own stations and you earn a percentage from the trading that happens there. Not sure if Frontier have talked about anything like that in the past, but I think it'd be a great way to start the userbase expanding outwards from civilised space.

I'm still irked there's not much exponential growth in cash flow outside of trading. Enough that I've been staying out until something else happens to let casual-ish players eventually get enough for large, well-outfitted ships.

I don't think that is their design goal, nor should it be. Expensive stuff is supposed to require a heavy time investment. Big ships are bought with sweat and tears as it is with most games if this sort just as it is with similar farming game design concepts like we see in Path of Exile and Diablo 3 where the committed are the most rewarded (RNG nothwithstanding). If those grind games rewarded people in the first 100 hours with all of the best gear, nobody would play those games anymore. In the same way, if everyone was flying around with A-spec'd FdL's, Pythons and Anacondas, the player base would disappear in weeks.

More important I think is for there being a rewarding experience for everyone at ever level of commitment and ship. Some people may never advance beyond DbS/Courier/Cobra level of ship. Game needs to be as good for them as it is for anyone. But no, there needs to be no end-game shortcut to cater to casual players. Want end-game ships? Play the game.

I'd really like it if at some point we could build and operate our own stations and you earn a percentage from the trading that happens there. Not sure if Frontier have talked about anything like that in the past, but I think it'd be a great way to start the userbase expanding outwards from civilised space.
How many billions would your own space station cost? lol. Would be cool, but I wonder where you go from there.

I don't think that is their design goal, nor should it be. Expensive stuff is supposed to require a heavy time investment. Big ships are bought with sweat and tears as it is with most games if this sort just as it is with similar farming game design concepts like we see in Path of Exile and Diablo 3 where the committed are the most rewarded (RNG nothwithstanding). If those grind games rewarded people in the first 100 hours with all of the best gear, nobody would play those games anymore. In the same way, if everyone was flying around with A-spec'd FdL's, Pythons and Anacondas, the player base would disappear in weeks.

More important I think is for there being a rewarding experience for everyone at ever level of commitment and ship. Some people may never advance beyond DbS/Courier/Cobra level of ship. Game needs to be as good for them as it is for anyone. But no, there needs to be no end-game shortcut to cater to casual players. Want end-game ships? Play the game.

I guess the other catch is that there's really no current reason to get the end-game ships outside of them being cool. The difference between a Vulture and an FDL in terms of credits/hour earned RES hunting is negligible, so why bother? Last I played I had a well equipped Vulture but at this point it's becoming a return on investment decision--I won't get much out of investing lots more time.

It's fun, but in lieu of end game content that justifies the time investment required for heavy ships I'd rather have a method to build up money over time without grinding trade routes or something. You can still find ways to separate the hardcore player base from the casuals, I'm sure, but why bother?

Maybe I'm just taking a defeatist, short term look at the game. Could be that in the future there will be content requiring the heavier ships, at which point it would be worth the time it takes to get them.

DrBo42

I guess the other catch is that there's really no current reason to get the end-game ships outside of them being cool. The difference between a Vulture and an FDL in terms of credits/hour earned RES hunting is negligible, so why bother? Last I played I had a well equipped Vulture but at this point it's becoming a return on investment decision--I won't get much out of investing lots more time.

It's fun, but in lieu of end game content that justifies the time investment required for heavy ships I'd rather have a method to build up money over time without grinding trade routes or something. You can still find ways to separate the hardcore player base from the casuals, I'm sure, but why bother?

Maybe I'm just taking a defeatist, short term look at the game. Could be that in the future there will be content requiring the heavier ships, at which point it would be worth the time it takes to get them.

Bingo. Just bought an Anaconda and there's really no need for it outside of trading in mass amounts to outfit a combat version of the same vessel or use it to bankroll your own personal fleet of ships. Ships that will be used for the same very limited amount of gameplay options/activities. It's a big problem. Now that they've got the political/government risk game going with powerplay hopefully they'll really focus on increasing things to do and hopefully create more paths in the game. There's a lot for them to accomplish before it feels like it's a complete game. Think we're maybe 2 years out from that happening, at the current pace.

Mengy

Speaking of exponential credit growth, I tried mining today for the first time since December. Kitted my Asp out with a 7 bin refinery and collector controller and headed out to a pristine metallic ring around a gas giant. I have to admit, the drones help mining a lot, it's much less tedious and actually tolerable now. The problem however is still that it's a horrible credit earner, I was able to make a profit in two hours that I could have gotten from three kills bounty hunting at a RES site. Oh, and don't try mining in a high intensity RES site, you can't even collect one asteroid's worth of fragments without getting jumped by a pesky pirate. I made more money from killing the pirates than I did from mining at an HI RES site, by like a factor of ten, lol.

I wish there was a way to make mining earn more credits, because I kind of like it, but wow do I feel like I'm wasting my time when doing it.

Bingo. Just bought an Anaconda and there's really no need for it outside of trading in mass amounts to outfit a combat version of the same vessel or use it to bankroll your own personal fleet of ships. Ships that will be used for the same very limited amount of gameplay options/activities. It's a big problem. Now that they've got the political/government risk game going with powerplay hopefully they'll really focus on increasing things to do and hopefully create more paths in the game. There's a lot for them to accomplish before it feels like it's a complete game. Think we're maybe 2 years out from that happening, at the current pace.

Agree with that.

I'm not sure what their real end-game plan is anymore, long term. At first I assumed it was big ships...and that is the case at the moment...but big ships currently in the game aren't hard to get. You just have to grind for awhile. After 4 months, I have an A-rated version of every non-trading ship in the game (because i don't have any interest in heavy trading) and have skipped the Anaconda because after seeing them in action, I don't want one. If I were a trader I'd have to have one, but really...it's pretty clear to me that it's just an end-game money sink to keep the game installed rather than a good value proposition at as much as $650,000,000 when properly outfitted.

Perhaps the Imperial Cutter or Federal Whatchamacallit will present a better value proposition than the Anaconda at which time I might consider a ship of that size. Until then...pass.

Also, if they expect their endgame to remain ships, they're going to have to introduce some million-dollar+ capitol ships and your own personal million+ outposts to dock them at (since they'd be too big to fit in conventional stations or outposts), as well as a way to make them relevant. Maybe a capitol ship would function as stations in and of themselves where you can dock any ship that can fit on a Medium landing pad or smaller (up to maybe 8 ships) and carry them in its belly as you travel. How fucking cool would that be, and it would address a long-standing issue of having to ferry your ships around if your home base location changes.

But anyway, yea if they want to continue the expensive-ships-as-the-goal approach, options have to get bigger and more expensive and actually be worth it (unlike the Conda). Outside of having ships that can carry your fleet around however, I'm just not sure if I would like it. Because again, they continue to have trouble making the less expensive ships relevant as it is outside of the hands of the most skilled.

All that being said, I do look forward to seeing what they can dream up as an FdL upgrade for combat-centric players like myself. What would a $150,000,000, medium hull-sized pure fighter look like, have and do? Whatever that is, I'd rather by that than a big, slow frigate.

Qasiel

Maybe a capitol ship would function as stations in and of themselves where you can dock any ship that can fit on a Medium landing pad or smaller (up to maybe 8 ships) and carry them in its belly as you travel. How fucking cool would that be, and it would address a long-standing issue of having to ferry your ships around if your home base location changes.

This would be amazing. Think of the possibilities when they eventually get around to allowing us to walk around the ships. You could form teams with friends who help fund the ship (depending on cost) whilst they park in the belly and use it as a base of ops. Sign me the hell up for that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom