• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

Yeah, you start out in LHS 3447, which as far as I can tell from watching videos of the PC version, is the same there.

No. It's always been the same as the full PC version, but sometimes a little behind on some systems (ie, powerplay wasn't working for a while), and running on a separate set of servers that's only periodically synced with the live PC version (kinda similar to how their beta servers operate, I believe).

CQC wasn't added until an update about three weeks ago.

Hmm. I still don't understand the logic behind the timed exclusivity of the CQC. Kind of feels like a backstab to the Kickstarter backers.

DrBo42

Well I've got it all setup on XB1. Heartbreaking that it looks better on that console than it does on my PC but my laptop is shite. Going from my X52 to the controller is not easy. Having to click in the stick to get the lateral thrusters going just to be able to land...ugh. XBL is DrBo if you're on there.

Hylian7

Well I've got it all setup on XB1. Heartbreaking that it looks better on that console than it does on my PC but my laptop is shite. Going from my X52 to the controller is not easy. Having to click in the stick to get the lateral thrusters going just to be able to land...ugh. XBL is DrBo if you're on there.

If I'm understanding this right, you have to click the same stick you move to get lateral thrusters? I would think that would feel kind of awkward. Can you not remap it to the D-Pad or something or is there no way to remap buttons on that version?

Burny

The clip on my X45 split today, so I ain't flying nothing until my new CH arrives, lol.

Have you tried playing with a mouse and keyboard? If you've got the time, I can only recommend giving it a shot. Yaw has to be remapped to the mouse's x-axis while roll should be put on keyboard keys (compared to the defautl settings), but then I found that mouse+keyboard is a totally valid control option for Elite. Useful, if one should ever have to play it on a laptop, away from where all the sim gear is. ;)

Hylian7

Have you tried playing with a mouse and keyboard? If you've got the time, I can only recommend giving it a shot. Yaw has to be remapped to the mouse's x-axis while roll should be put on keyboard keys (compared to the defautl settings), but then I found that mouse+keyboard is a totally valid control option for Elite. Useful, if one should ever have to play it on a laptop, away from where all the sim gear is. ;)

Eh, I'd really say no thanks on that. A better solution would be a gamepad. Before I got my X52, I played with an Xbox 360 Controller. Worked okay, had to reach for keyboard for some functions, but I set the throttle to right analog stick, and had a TrackIR.

Sarcasm

KBM is way better than a gamepad. (Which is all opinion).

I should know cause I only have those two choices. Than again I do also use voice attack.

Still find KBM more responsive than the gamepad route. Even when I am using voice attack.

VA even dock requests for me =D

Forgot to mention custom config for controls too.

Burny

Eh, I'd really say no thanks on that.

Have you tried it? I was sceptical until I did as well. Wouldn't even surprise me, if keyboard + mouse slightly beats a good HOTAS at aiming with fixed weapons.

The one area, where it's being beat by a HOTAS and to a lesser extend by a gamepad, is fine controll over certain movements. E.g. there's no way to determine roll speed on keyboard keys.

Surprisingly though, this doesn't matter in the game all that much, as ships move sufficiently sedate, so it doesn't become an issue.

Hylian7

Have you tried it? I was sceptical until I did as well. Wouldn't even surprise me, if keyboard + mouse slightly beats a good HOTAS at aiming with fixed weapons.

The one area, where it's being beat by a HOTAS and to a lesser extend by a gamepad, is fine controll over certain movements. E.g. there's no way to determine roll speed on keyboard keys.

Surprisingly though, this doesn't matter in the game all that much, as ships move sufficiently sedate, so it doesn't become an issue.

LOL no way, you absolutely need the fine control to aim fixed weapons. I use fixed weapons myself on my vulture.

Burny

LOL no way, you absolutely need the fine control to aim fixed weapons. I use fixed weapons myself on my vulture.

I have yet to find an input method for the PC, which beats a mouse in terms of fine control when pointing at things.

Mouse aiming is pretty much what you get, when you remap the mouse's x-axis movements to yaw rather than the weirdly chosen default roll. It's also a far cry from Arena Commander's flying turret mechanics, as Elite implements a virtual joystick for the mouse.

Give it a shot yourself, it doesn't hurt to try it. Safe any changes you did to the control settings first though. It took me some 10 minutes to get used to M+K, but I found it an absolutely valid option.

Hylian7

RES farming has become a lot more difficult and tedious lately. The High Intensity RES only usually have small ships in Solo and Open if nobody else is there, and MAYBE bigger ships (Clippers and Dropships) if other players are around, but then of course you have to try to get the bounty for yourself from the other players.

So I've taken to doing combat missions more often, usually the ones that give 100k-200k. It's interesting though how the difficulty seems to be completely independent of the price. I know I took one that was around 140k, but it was one of those Pythons accompanied by a Vulture. Not exactly something my Vulture with fixed weapons can take on easily by myself, plus if the Internal Security Service shows up I'm definitely fucked.

I have gotten lucky on some of them, managing to quickly get the kill on the target and leave before the wingmen have any time to do much, but this isn't always easy to do.

AI Pythons or Anacondas are usually no problem for me by themselves, but the wingmen are what I'm usually worried about, and if I try to focus the wingmen first, then of course the target who likely has more powerful weapons is shooting at me.

Maybe I'm making this harder on myself with fixed weapons, but I can aim them pretty well generally. I do wonder though if it would take about the same amount of time to effectively take down ships though if I had gimballed weapons.

I kind of wish there was some way you could have a "dummy" ship to shoot at and test these kinds of things out on. The only thing you can really use is if you have a friend that's in a ship he's willing to get damaged or possibly destroyed. There's always just testing with seeing how long it takes to drop shields too. I know I've tested this way with a friend before, we both turned off "Report Crimes Against Me" so nobody would bother us.

Lime

I gotta say, I really love the screenshots that people are posting in this thread. It makes the OT worth re-visiting

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Have you tried playing with a mouse and keyboard?

Yeah, it works okay in Elite but it kinda sucks when compared to a HOTAS, I just can't enjoy myself with the mouse / keyboard. Now, for FSX and P3D, yeah I aint' flying in that at all until my CH stuff arrives, lol.

Sarcasm

PSA! XB1 players Rollcall

I've updated the NeoGAF Player List from the OP to have a sheet for Xbox players!

If you venture into the dangerous world of Elite on the Xbox 1 add yourselves there.

Wait what is this list? I am on it and it says waiting approval.

I gotta say, I really love the screenshots that people are posting in this thread. It makes the OT worth re-visiting

Supposedly you can take high res screenshots, I haven't figured out how or where it goes.

Nymerio

Does anyone have a working bindings file for Crab's T.Flight Hotas setup? I haven't played in a long time and the bindings I have aren't recognized :(

Nymerio

I have that but it doesn't work. Copied it into the folder but it won't show up ingame. Tried renaming it to custom.binds but that doesn't do anything either.

Nymerio

It's in "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings" and yes, I did unzip it. I'm launching the steam version btw, but I don't think that should make any difference.

Sarcasm

Yea mine work just fine and they are in AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Too. Also some StartPreset.start file.

edc2hr6j.png

frontieruk

Wait what is this list? I am on it and it says waiting approval.

Supposedly you can take high res screenshots, I haven't figured out how or where it goes.

I imagine GAF has a private group on PC, so awaiting approval might be a request to join the group.

Nymerio

Bah, I'm giving up for today. Tried replicating the bindings but the game doesn't recognize the all joystick axis correctly. It worked previously so I assume this is a windows 10 problem -_-

Shifty76

Bah, I'm giving up for today. Tried replicating the bindings but the game doesn't recognize the all joystick axis correctly. It worked previously so I assume this is a windows 10 problem -_-
Win10 here and crabs tflight works fine for me.

Is the home button on the stick green?

Edit: You do have the T.Flight Hotas config file right? Not just the mouse/kb one?

My folder:
9qRPPuW.png

Reckheim

people on reddit have been saying they had issues with win 10 as well.

Nymerio

Win10 here and crabs tflight works fine for me.

Is the home button on the stick green?

Edit: You do have the T.Flight Hotas config file right? Not just the mouse/kb one?

My folder:
9qRPPuW.png

omg, no the button is read. Should it be green? I thought it was weird that it was red but I figured I just didn't remember what color it was previously and thought nothing more about it. I do have right config file in the directory. I tried renaming and setting a PresetName in the binding file itself but it only ever shows me the keyboard setup ingame.

dMTIMLS.png

people on reddit have been saying they had issues with win 10 as well.

I do hope there a solution out there. Really wanted to play a bit today :|

Shifty76

omg, no the button is read. Should it be green? I thought it was weird that it was red but I figured I just didn't remember what color it was previously and thought nothing more about it. I do have right config file in the directory. I tried renaming and setting a PresetName in the binding file itself but it only ever shows me the keyboard setup ingame.

dMTIMLS.png

I do hope there a solution out there. Really wanted to play a bit today :|

Heh, yeah hit that button to turn it green. It'll work then.

Jedi2016

One more reason not to upgrade to Win10 just yet.. hehe. I have my bindings set just so, I suppose I should take a backup of them at some point.

For anyone interested I will be in hip 495 over the next few hours. I'm on a black op kill package run, target type civilian, target count eight, payout = 187K. Will result in wanted status hehehehe.

XBO

Commander:
Ninjas Fear Me

HIP 495 location:
Border between independents for Pranav Anal and Federation space.

arhra

If I'm understanding this right, you have to click the same stick you move to get lateral thrusters? I would think that would feel kind of awkward. Can you not remap it to the D-Pad or something or is there no way to remap buttons on that version?

You're misunderstanding a bit, I think - I'm not sure what the PC pad controls are like, but on the X1, clicking the left-stick toggles between two separate flight control sets - the default switches the right-stick's horizontal axis between yaw and lateral thrusters, but you can set any of the axes to any of pitch/roll/yaw or vertical/horizontal thrusters in either control set (and tweak deadzones, inversion, etc), so between the two sets you have access to all the available thrust axes (which you can't with just one, since two sticks with two axes each just isn't enough). You can also click the right stick to switch it into headlook mode (then a second click will toggle out of headlook and reset you to looking straight ahead).

However, while you have full control over your stick mappings, button mappings are fixed, with the only options being two presets. Given how convoluted the setup to map everything onto the controller's limited buttons is, though, full remapping would probably be tricky (although there are a few face button + bumper combos that aren't used right now, and I'd love to be able to pick something to map to those).

You're misunderstanding a bit, I think - I'm not sure what the PC pad controls are like, but on the X1, clicking the left-stick toggles between two separate flight control sets - the default switches the right-stick's horizontal axis between yaw and lateral thrusters, but you can set any of the axes to any of pitch/roll/yaw or vertical/horizontal thrusters in either control set (and tweak deadzones, inversion, etc), so between the two sets you have access to all the available thrust axes (which you can't with just one, since two sticks with two axes each just isn't enough). You can also click the right stick to switch it into headlook mode (then a second click will toggle out of headlook and reset you to looking straight ahead).

However, while you have full control over your stick mappings, button mappings are fixed, with the only options being two presets. Given how convoluted the setup to map everything onto the controller's limited buttons is, though, full remapping would probably be tricky (although there are a few face button + bumper combos that aren't used right now, and I'd love to be able to pick something to map to those).

My kill mission for 187 K is done, it was pretty quick. Just picked up another one for the same system for 100 K.

Regarding the button mappings and controls, I find they are very well done compared to the PC version. They have also changed I believe during the game preview so you may find that tomorrow the controls are going to be a bit different. However the current set up is pretty sweet. My only real complaint is that when setting sub targets it would be nice if immediately after the cargo target, it would jump to the ship normal drive, then the FSD drive. As it stands right now the toggle will cycle through all of the other nonessential targets, so you'll find yourself cycling through them a lot just to be able to get to the most critical things. In the heat of battle this can suck. But generally unless you're going up against an enemy that is bigger than you, sub targeting isn't really necessary.

Edit: I forgot to ask some questions about some things that have been bothering me. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

1. Why is it that often when I'm using the FSD interdictor, a successful interdiction results in my hull being compromised? There must be something about interdiction that I'm not understanding.

2. I'm seeing a lot of missions to take out pirate leaders and pirate Lords and etc. however many of these high-value targets are flying Anaconda ships, I've tried taking a few out and in some instances I have died and in most others I have gotten away after making a failed attempt by the skin of my teeth. What ship should be a good matchup against an Anaconda other than another Anaconda? I'm thinking that because these missions are available that I should be able to complete them successfully but instead thus far I have been forced to abandon each one under the fear of death / failure. Is there a trick to taking these types of ships out? What sucks about these missions is that you have no idea what type of ship the target is going to be flying prior to actually tracking down the target.

3. Is it better to have turreted weapons that are kinetic or energy-based? I ask because on the one hand kinetic weapons don't suck up a lot of power and so they can keep shooting while energy-based weapons use a lot of power. Currently I use energy-based turreted weapons in order to bring the ships shield down easier, I then fire my kinetic weapons to do hull damage. Is the real answer that I should be choosing weapons both energy and kinetic so that I can fire all of them at the same time rather than switching between one or the other depending on whether or not the target ship shields are up or down? For example I have noticed that if I fire my cannons and a ship with that shields up, the damage really helps bring the shields down. Should I just load up on all cannons?

Shifty76

Edit: I forgot to ask some questions about some things that have been bothering me. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

1. Why is it that often when I'm using the FSD interdictor, a successful interdiction results in my hull being compromised? There must be something about interdiction that I'm not understanding.

Intended behaviour. Every now & then you don't take damage for some reason, but it's normal to take damage. This is why no one used an interdictor on Asps or larger back in the day: The old repair cost was around 50 x what it is now, and the repair bill on those large ships was simply too high.

2. I'm seeing a lot of missions to take out pirate leaders and pirate Lords and etc. however many of these high-value targets are flying Anaconda ships, I've tried taking a few out and in some instances I have died and in most others I have gotten away after making a failed attempt by the skin of my teeth. What ship should be a good matchup against an Anaconda other than another Anaconda? I'm thinking that because these missions are available that I should be able to complete them successfully but instead thus far I have been forced to abandon each one under the fear of death / failure. Is there a trick to taking these types of ships out? What sucks about these missions is that you have no idea what type of ship the target is going to be flying prior to actually tracking down the target.

It can be done in a viper, or at least it used to be able to be done in a viper. Probably still could be if you're good enough, but I wouldn't want to attempt it in anything less than a kitted out vulture. I just focus on the primary target and use chaff & SCBs to survive the wingman attacks.

3. Is it better to have turreted weapons that are kinetic or energy-based? I ask because on the one hand kinetic weapons don't suck up a lot of power and so they can keep shooting while energy-based weapons use a lot of power. Currently I use energy-based turreted weapons in order to bring the ships shield down easier, I then fire my kinetic weapons to do hull damage. Is the real answer that I should be choosing weapons both energy and kinetic so that I can fire all of them at the same time rather than switching between one or the other depending on whether or not the target ship shields are up or down? For example I have noticed that if I fire my cannons and a ship with that shields up, the damage really helps bring the shields down. Should I just load up on all cannons?

I'd skip turreted weapons. The damage reduction is too harsh. A mix of fixed/gimballed lasers for shields and kinetics for hull / subsystems works well, though on ships with large hardpoints I'll usually run full laser.

Hylian7

I see, makes a little bit more sense. The PC gamepad controls are whatever you want them to be, I don't know what the default is though. Before I got my X52, I was playing using an Xbox 360 controller and my TrackIR. Having the TrackIR was nice because I didn't have to dedicate any buttons to headlook. I did use keyboard keys for some functions I didn't want to map to the controller, such as jumping into supercruise or hyperspace. Basically my mapping was something like this:

Left stick - Pitch and Roll
Right stick - Yaw and throttle (this might sound a bit strange, but up and down was throttle, while left and right was Yaw, I didn't use Yaw too much, but this way I still had it availab.e
D-Pad - Power distribution/selecting in menus
A - Lock on to target
X - Next target
Y - Switch fire groups
B - I don't remember
Right Trigger and left trigger - fire weapons mapped to trigger 1 and trigger 2
Back - Deploy/retract hardpoints

I'm pretty sure I used the bumpers for something too, but I forget what it was. I remember I had just about every button on the controller taken up, and I just used the keyboard for stuff like landing gear, jumping, cargo scoop, etc.

I've been thinking the Xbox one elite controller could be pretty handy for this game, since you won't have to take your hands off the sticks to access buttons. I'll probably use it for VR when we hit the consumer kits.

2. I'm seeing a lot of missions to take out pirate leaders and pirate Lords and etc. however many of these high-value targets are flying Anaconda ships, I've tried taking a few out and in some instances I have died and in most others I have gotten away after making a failed attempt by the skin of my teeth. What ship should be a good matchup against an Anaconda other than another Anaconda?

To add to what Shifty said, the cheapest ship that I'd use is a Courier. They have very good shields compared to Vipers (and you'll still want some shield cells on top).
Anacondas aren't all equal, so sometimes you get a complete bastard and have to bail (the ones with lots of beam turrets are the worst, IMO).
Make sure you pack some chaff to confuse the turrets.

Remember to target the powerplant. It'll be fixed soon, but for now it makes it MUCH quicker to kill an Anaconda than taking down the hull.

I've completed an Anaconda assasination in an Asp - but I'd really not advise trying that.
As Shifty said, a Vulture is ideal. The Class 3 guns (gimballed pulse are best, IMO) don't suffer damage penalties for shooting at large ships, and the Vulture is manoeuvrable enough that you can usually avoid the Anaconda's guns (except for its turrets).

Hylian7

To add to what Shifty said, the cheapest ship that I'd use is a Courier. They have very good shields compared to Vipers (and you'll still want some shield cells on top).
Anacondas aren't all equal, so sometimes you get a complete bastard and have to bail (the ones with lots of beam turrets are the worst, IMO).
Make sure you pack some chaff to confuse the turrets.

Remember to target the powerplant. It'll be fixed soon, but for now it makes it MUCH quicker to kill an Anaconda than taking down the hull.

I've completed an Anaconda assasination in an Asp - but I'd really not advise trying that.
As Shifty said, a Vulture is ideal. The Class 3 guns (gimballed pulse are best, IMO) don't suffer damage penalties for shooting at large ships, and the Vulture is manoeuvrable enough that you can usually avoid the Anaconda's guns (except for its turrets).
I didn't think it was a bug that aiming for the power plant was faster than shooting the hull. It's been that way since forever and applies to the other big ships too (Dropship, Clipper, Python, etc.).

I have a Vulture and have a great time fighting the Elite Anacondas with it. It's so easy to to get right up in their faces and orbit on their blind spot while unloading my fixed weapons on them.

Another thing in general for taking those on is Shield Boosters and Shield Cell Banks. I have a decent shield generator with 2-3 Boosters and one bank of 3 cells. Vulture shields are no joke, and you can extend the life of them greatly by using these things. I also find the general rule of thumb is if your own shields drop and you can't finish them before your hull gets to 50%, just bail as you are unlikely to make it trying further.

The most annoying thing on assassination missions is wings though, especially the smarter ones that have tons of beam lasers. Sometimes I can interdict, and quickly kill the target, and get out without losing my own shields, but if there is any delay things don't usually look good.

Burny

I didn't think it was a bug that aiming for the power plant was faster than shooting the hull. It's been that way since forever and applies to the other big ships too (Dropship, Clipper, Python, etc.).

It's a subtle multi faceted issue from what I gathered. At the moment, when equipping a ship with improved armour, that armour won't apply to internal modules (iirc?). Apparently only the hull gains longevity by it. Additionally, gimbaled weapons pretty reliably target sub systems, so they're potentially a bit OP at killing the big ships.

Hylian7

It's a subtle multi faceted issue from what I gathered. At the moment, when equipping a ship with improved armour, that armour won't apply to internal modules (iirc?). Apparently only the hull gains longevity by it. Additionally, gimbaled weapons pretty reliably target sub systems, so they're potentially a bit OP at killing the big ships.
Ah, I see. That makes more sense. I'm surprised they hasn't been fixed then, that has been around since launch, hasn't it?

Nymerio

Got my T.Flight working again. I feel like such an idiot. I knew there was a switch to change between PC and PS3 mode but for whatever reason I didn't see it when I checked. Didn't even make the connection when I went into windows usb controller setup and it said T.Flight Hotas PS3 or something. After hitting the switch it also recognized the Crab bindings file.

Shifty76

Got my T.Flight working again. I feel like such an idiot. I knew there was a switch to change between PC and PS3 mode but for whatever reason I didn't see it when I checked. Didn't even make the connection when I went into windows usb controller setup and it said T.Flight Hotas PS3 or something. After hitting the switch it also recognized the Crab bindings file.

LOL. I was even going to mention that but thought nah, that'd be the first thing he checked!

In other news, rammer clipper is hilariously fun, even if it does have a jump range barely higher than the starter sidewinder.

Sarcasm

Well I can stop worrying because this is s better outcome than what could have really happened.

Burny

It seems that they registered Reckheims group request. NeoGAF is on the list.

Now, on to registering a minor faction.

I would still suggest the name "Neo Galactic Adventurer Fellowship". But we'll have to find a home system, a type of group (political...?), possibly allegiances and a description.

Frontier seems to be steering this into a pretty RP heavy direction.

Reckheim

I would still suggest the name "Neo Galactic Adventurer Fellowship". But we'll have to find a home system, a type of group (political...?), possibly allegiances and a description.

"Neo Galactic Adventurer Fellowship" sounds good to me for the minor faction name (i'll see if the group name can be changed to match as well).

As for the other stuff i'd be great if you guys filled out the below based on your own opinion so its easier to make a decision based on popular opinion.

Type: (e.g Democracy, Criminal etc):

Below is mine.

Type: (e.g Democracy, Criminal etc) Democracy
Location: Don't really have system in mind but I wouldn't want to make it directly in the thick of things,
Allegiance: Empire

Reckheim

The different types of governments available in the game are below:

Anarchy
Colony
Communism
Confederacy
Cooperative
Corporate
Democracy
Dictatorship
Feudal