• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got blown up by a station because I attacked a wanted ship and became wanted? I need a break.
If the station itself blew you up, you were definitely in the "No Fire Zone," a safe bubble around stations within which firing your weapons is a crime. You're given a notification when you enter/leave this zone. Hard way to learn!

HelloMeow

If the station itself blew you up, you were definitely in the "No Fire Zone," a safe bubble around stations within which firing your weapons is a crime. You're given a notification when you enter/leave this zone. Hard way to learn!

No, you'll just get a fine if you fire in the no-fire zone. I've done it so many times. I think I might have hit a ship behind the target.

DrBo42

No, you'll just get a fine if you fire in the no-fire zone. I've done it so many times. I think I might have hit a ship behind the target.

Either that or you opened fire before your scan labelled it Wanted. They might have fixed that though, not sure. Been thousands of LY away from civilization for far too long.

Jezbollah

I ignored missions. Still do. It just wasn't fun flying around in a ship with paper armor and hardly any weaponry, dropping into randomly generated signal sources, hoping that you'll find and kill five pirates and hand in the mission before a two hour timer runs out. With the chance of getting killed while at it, as I didn't knew the controls then or how to act in which situation etc.. Did I mention paper armor? :p Transport missions were even less attractive in a Sidewinder with four meagre tons of cargo, meaning that I could take all but the least profitable missions. And then find out that the ship's jump range wasn't sufficient to get to the target location while carrying the cargo (iirc I had issues with the Sidwinder's jump range,butmaybe I just hadn't refueled?).

Anyway, I stuck to hanging out at the system's nav beacon trying to steal kills from the system security. Albeit with an Eagle, because I got one having preordered the game. This turned out entertaining and profitable enough to get me into a Viper eventually.

This is also the most important advice to any beginner imo: get out of the starting ship asap (this includes the Eagle imo)!

lol. This resonates pretty well with me. I backed the game way back, and eventually started playing it yesterday after finally getting my HOTAS. Nav Beacon whoring it is the way to go IMO. Thank god I got a free Eagle too :)

Ah, that makes more sense. On second thought, I know I've been fined for firing in that zone, but never became wanted. Attacking an innocent ship must have been what did it. Unfortunate!

Effect

Came across the Imperial Capital Ship vs Federation Capital Ship battle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de78Odrw6KE

I want to see this from my own ship so bad. I've stayed away from high conflict zones because I felt I didn't have strong enough weapons to do any damage there or generally just to survive. Next time I'm in game I'm going to pop into a few just to see if I can trigger this. Just one ship of course since it seems having the two ships go at each other is rare and possibly shouldn't happen.

Haven't played in months and don't remember what state my Python is in but I miss trading and figuring out routes and places to upgrade my ship. Most of my fun was talking trash with my friends while we were running and trying to find the most lucrative trade routes.

Kinda bummed the type 9 can only carry a bit more than the Anaconda (wth man).

zorbsie

Just picked this up on the XB1 a couple of days ago. I love the ideas behind this game and want to just go exploring. I feel very overwhelmed at the start. I checked the board for missions but everything was unattainable. Is there a good starting guide that can hold my hand for the first hour or two?

It's weird that the space station I started in was named after the most famous person that lived in my tiny home town, Richard Trevithick.

Just picked this up on the XB1 a couple of days ago. I love the ideas behind this game and want to just go exploring. I feel very overwhelmed at the start. I checked the board for missions but everything was unattainable. Is there a good starting guide that can hold my hand for the first hour or two?

I travelled to a few different systems and checked for jobs there, you will find a few delivery missions eventually. A lot of posts I have been reading have been saying bounty hunting at nav beacons gets you the most money at the start, where the cost of failure and destruction of your ship is the smallest. I haven't tried that yet though, going to today, I have just been doing delivery missions up until now.

New dev updates! They discuss upcoming missions system updates and the 1.4 release (still on track for 10/6):

This week sees a new (and hopefully the last) gamma release for the PC CQC update. The release date is still expected to be October 6th, but we’ll confirm once all the details are in place.

Earlier in the year we updated the mission system to allow us to add more variety and mission related content and that process has progressed throughout the year and will continue into the Horizons season and beyond. There are a number of changes and additions coming in the 1.5 Ships update and so will be available to both season one and two players.

Missions can now be received in space, so they’re not always taken from the Bulletin Board and can be received from encounters with other ships. A variant on this are missions that can be triggered by scooping certain items in space. Timed assassination missions will be available from the Bulletin Boards, similar to the assassination missions in FFE you need to find your target at a certain time and place.

This timing mechanism is also available for other mission types where the mission target can only be found at a specific time. Alongside this, missions can now have multiple stages – this applies as sequences of the same mission type, so delivering goods to a station and then bring something else back. Note that this isn’t fully chained missions yet (which we define as different missions in a sequence), although these are planned as part of the Horizons season. A specific variant on this are tasks that have to be completed after a successful assassination.

A survival element to missions means that a player will have to survive specific encounters before being able to complete a specific mission, for example delivering secret information to a contact while being hunted. Another aspect for a player to be aware of are those that require them to be completed without being scanned – something I’m sure skilled smugglers will have an advantage with :)

There are a couple of other elements too – but I’ll keep them as a surprise for you!

Some welcome changes to missions, but still not their big overhaul that's coming with Horizons. Still, nice!

Here's a solid beginner's guide for the basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLsHmTe-4MU

I might put together a little GAF "New to ED" guide soon, too.

Effect

Question. Is 1.5 suppose to be a new update for the first season before Horizons releases or is 1.5 the Horizon's expansion? Or is that getting a 2.0 designation?

Question. Is 1.5 suppose to be a new update for the first season before Horizons releases or is 1.5 the Horizon's expansion? Or is that getting a 2.0 designation?

Last we heard, they're separate updates but also going out at the same time. So 1.5 is last update of year 1 and 2.0 is first release of year 2. I don't know if they've officially called it 2.0, btw.

Burny

Edit: beaten.

1.5 is the last season 1 update, and is supposed to be released at the same time as Horizons.

No idea how they'll continue the versioning with Horizons. Unless they're keeping different code branches for the seasons (sounds unreasonable :p), they'll probably have ot decide on a common versioning and mark specific added features as season specific content.

On a different node: Only one or two more months until we're getting Horizons and the first new planetary landing features!

Pomerlaw

The scale of this game...

These images are from the Firdaus system. In it, the "Robert Aitken" Coriolis station lazily orbits a gas giant. The last image shows the station at the center, at some 300 Km from the ship taking the pic...

CiCZDQb.jpg

jvzM8eG.jpg

kfKH9nC.jpg

ihLz7ra.jpg

Ridiculously awesome!!!

The scale of this game...

These images are from the Firdaus system. In it, the "Robert Aitken" Coriolis station lazily orbits a gas giant. The last image shows the station at the center, at some 300 Km from the ship taking the pic...

CiCZDQb.jpg

jvzM8eG.jpg

kfKH9nC.jpg

ihLz7ra.jpg

Ridiculously awesome!!!

Do you watch ObsidianAnt's series on the most beautiful places in the galaxy?

On a different node: Only one or two more months until we're getting Horizons and the first new planetary landing features!

fABWCL7.gif

Burny

You're forgetting the best feature of 1.5 :(

Our Xbox brethren will be joining our universe!
I thought that was suposed to coincide with the official 1.4 release on 6th October? At least that's also supposed to be the Xbone's "final" release iirc. I'm very much fixated on the PC version, yes. ;)

frontieruk

I thought that was suposed to coincide with the official 1.4 release on 6th October? At least that's also supposed to be the Xbone's "final" release iirc. I'm very much fixated on the PC version, yes. ;)

You could be right ;) I am just looking forward to jumping into the horizon beta ;)

Hey guys,
I got ahold of aztechnology the other week and he's cool with me compiling new info to update the OP.

Any requests, or anything you think should be included? I'd like to have a little "New Player's Guide" section, so anything you think should be in there (whether it's a post or a video or whatever), let me know.

zorbsie

Thanks for the tips gang! Was going to get back into the game, but xbox live seems to be down for me. :( Hopefully I'll have some time to myself this weekend to really dig into the game.

Wreav

Banned
Are a lot of you using any of those FX programs that pop up the saturation?

Everytime I see a great ED screenshot, they're running some variant.

Are a lot of you using any of those FX programs that pop up the saturation?

Everytime I see a great ED screenshot, they're running some variant.

I use EDFX with everything on except the blur. It's great.

Also, that place I said all of you should RES hunt at at least once is still easily one of the most beautiful places in the galaxy. If you haven't hunted there at twilight, you've been missing out. I've been to many RES sites on my way to Elite combat and none have been as spectacular as that.

Decided to give the xbox one pad a rest tonight and dug-out my x52, holy shit is it better! Not sure I can go back. The only problem now is not being able to play on the sofa on my big screen :(

I spent about 3 hours back in colonized space before I'd had enough. Can't keep from scratching that exploration itch.

The first neat little system, not even 1,000LY out, had only 5 bodies, 3 of which were black holes. A pair of them were binary and separated by little more than 4 lightseconds, but more surprisingly, they were only around 0.2 AU from their parent star:

Love this game.

Effect

I spent about 3 hours back in colonized space before I'd had enough. Can't keep from scratching that exploration itch.

The first neat little system, not even 1,000LY out, had only 5 bodies, 3 of which were black holes. A pair of them were binary and separated by little more than 4 lightseconds, but more surprisingly, they were only around 0.2 AU from their parent star:

Love this game.

I've yet to move beyond space under control of the different factions but want to start doing that. A fuel scoop is pretty mandatory right or are there outpost out there as well where you can refuel?

frontieruk

I've yet to move beyond space under control of the different factions but want to start doing that. A fuel scoop is pretty mandatory right or are there outpost out there as well where you can refuel?

Best Fuel scoop you can afford, would also suggest bunging fuel into your cargo bays

You can do that!?
Yeah! One of the recent updates gave us extra fuel tank modules that can be equipped to the internal compartments, separate from the ship's main fuel store. Thankfully, the Asp's 32T capacity means it needs nothing extra--any additional fuel will just lower its jump range.

And yes, a fuel scoop is essential for exploring. The only fuel sources beyond the bubble of colonized space are the scoopable stars--there are no outposts, stations, signal sources, or NPCs of any kind out there (so far). Just you, your ship, and the vast unknown.

Just imagin when we will be able to land everywhere...
I'm sooo eagerly awaiting my Horizons beta access. As I understand it, we'll only be able to land on planets without atmospheres at first. They've talked about the realistic effects of gravity for the planets where we can land, but I'm wondering how they'll eventually handle the planets with atmospheres--namely the ones whose atmospheric pressure is millions of times that of Earth. Will those with such extremely dense atmospheres be forever off limits? I'm guessing so.

Reckheim

Yeah! One of the recent updates gave us extra fuel tank modules that can be equipped to the internal compartments, separate from the ship's main fuel store. Thankfully, the Asp's 32T capacity means it needs nothing extra--any additional fuel will just lower its jump range.

And yes, a fuel scoop is essential for exploring. The only fuel sources beyond the bubble of colonized space are the scoopable stars--there are no outposts, stations, signal sources, or NPCs of any kind out there (so far). Just you, your ship, and the vast unknown.

And space faces during jumps, but they usually don't show up until a few hours into an exploration session.

Anybody here bought one of those DIY EDTrackers? Just wondering how viable it is, I know it wont be as good as some of the more expensive head tracking, but it's very affordable.

Aw yiss. From newsletter:

Planetary Approach
5aba77815529a52666e39c41c18cd74e.jpg

When Elite Dangerous: Horizons launches this year, you'll be touching down on the surface of unexplored worlds, so you'll need some on-screen help to make sure you complete the landing safely. Here's your first glimpse of the on-screen planetary-approach HUD. Click on the pictures to get a closer look at what's coming as part of Elite: Dangerous Horizons.

8fe3a0aec54bce2cd8d1e0688a74a679.jpg

A crashed Type 9 with possible spoils?

O15VDvU.jpg

Approaching the ground, the surface dust kicks up around your ship

Your HUD will automatically show and hide certain gauges to keep the information relevant. As you approach the planet from a distance, you'll notice the first new thing on the cockpit display - the altimeter (the single vertical line seen to the right in the screenshot above). The altimeter will show you how close you are to the planet's surface, and help you control the speed of your approach.

The pitch gauge can be seen in the very centre of the cockpit display - it will align itself to the planet's gravity. This gauge will help the player to determine which way is 'up' - a brand new concept for Commanders in the Elite Dangerous galaxy! The pitch gauge also contains a horizon line, which will help you determine when you're flying 'flat' to the surface.

When you get very close to the surface, and you're nearing the point where you're ready to land, the heading gauge (seen at the top of the new information in the screenshot) will point towards the poles of the planet and help you orient your direction when landing.

As you can see in the screenshot, your scanner will switch to the landing-assist display, just as it does when you're landing your ship at a starport, but showing you the nearby terrain. The representation of your ship will light up blue when you're okay to put her down.

Now that you're safely down on the surface you're free to explore the entire planet in your SRV - who knows what you might find down there... we'll be revealing more in the coming weeks.

Gotta say, they chose a pretty bland planet/vista for these shots, but I guess the focus was on the HUD. Can't wait!

Burny

Here they are in all their ugly glory:

Unfortunately, I got the short end of the stick with the throttle replacement again. And I thought Saitek was supposed to have QA issues (my X52 Pro doesn't have any issues, at least not in terms of QA). :p

Before, the front hat switch on the throttle would only register in three directions. Now, all of the hat switches work most of the time. Sometimes they don't register on the mechanical click, but only after I apply a litte force and push them further against the resistance. The top, bottom and front hat are affected.

It's a subtle issue and I don't want to send the throttle back again. But I might eventually give a damn about the warranty and open it up. See, if a simple dis- and reassembly or a file can fix this.

Here they are in all their ugly glory:

Unfortunately, I got the short end of the stick with the throttle replacement again. And I thought Saitek was supposed to have QA issues (my X52 Pro doesn't have any issues, at least not in terms of QA). :p

Before, the front hat switch on the throttle would only register in three directions. Now, all of the hat switches work most of the time. Sometimes they don't register on the mechanical click, but only after I apply a litte force and push them further against the resistance. The top, bottom and front hat are affected.

It's a subtle issue and I don't want to send the throttle back again. But I might eventually give a damn about the warranty and open it up. See, if a simple dis- and reassembly or a file can fix this.
it might loosen up. also, be sure to calibrate.

I've looked at that set so many times, the Warthog set as well. I wish I could do without twist rudder, but unfortunately it's a deal breaker for me, so that locks me out of the absolute best sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom