• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burny

it might loosen up. also, be sure to calibrate.
Thanks, I did calibrate it and it helps with the range of the stick on the throttle. Doesn't help with the digital hat switches though. I'll see if they loosens up. Atm this didn't get used much, as I'm still waiting for the pedals.

I've looked at that set so many times, the Warthog set as well. I wish I could do without twist rudder, but unfortunately it's a deal breaker for me, so that locks me out of the absolute best sticks.
Aren't pedals an option for you? Ignoring for a moment, that those would be an extra expense, take up space etc.. I love that the CH Products Pro Throttle and Sticks can be used separately. That will allow me to use the throttle together with a mouse and keyboard, once Star Citizen is out. If that happens and if I want to play it then...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Here they are in all their ugly glory:

Yep, I got mine a month ago and love the hell out of them. Makes flying an entirely new experience, so much more control than my old X45. I got the CH pedals though too, they took some getting used to but now I can't fly without them.

SmartBase

I thought I'd do one of the current Bacon City community goals because of the amusing names, but my combat 'conda keeps getting interdicted for some reason even when the system's full of actual traders. You'd think pirates in squishy Pythons would check subsystems before interdicting and giving their stop and scan spiel.

frontieruk

Well I posted in the NeoGAF faction thread but only had one request so I'll re-post here

OK guys we have 6 codes for the EGX paint job for the Cobra mk III

PM me for one.

PC only

frontieruk

Much appreciated, frontier. Thanks for the key.

Np, Reckheim was issued them for registering the faction and being quick on the draw, he asked if Burny and I could issue them out, I just offered to do it so we could account for them all.

Hope you enjoy it.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
This guy's shots of his trop to Sag(A) are just phenomenal

http://imgur.com/a/GdPkw/

Some of my favorites

fuTSUQb.jpg

FkIRwcS.jpg

mEobYYh.jpg

dSXEGtj.jpg

This game is so gorgeous.

edit/ Thanks Frontieruk for the key!

Jedi2016

Is there a way to change which joystick button E:D uses as the "Enter" key when navigating the UI? On my Thrustmaster, it was the trigger, which made sense, but on my Saitek, it's one of the face buttons. Is there a way to change it back to the trigger? I can't find an option in the control bindings that appears to do this, unless I'm just missing it.

DrBo42

Is there a way to change which joystick button E:D uses as the "Enter" key when navigating the UI? On my Thrustmaster, it was the trigger, which made sense, but on my Saitek, it's one of the face buttons. Is there a way to change it back to the trigger? I can't find an option in the control bindings that appears to do this, unless I'm just missing it.

Isn't it the same bind as select target? Lemme look.

Edit: It's under Interface Mode - UI Panel Select

DrBo42

What part of space does that almost purple star effect take place? Far out away from the center? Assuming it works the same as light pollution in cities except the galactic center has dust or whatever that phenomena is.

Burny

Hehe, was just interdicted by an NPCcalled "Chtulhu Fnagh" in a Cobra (not sure about the spelling). ^^ (or "fhtagn"? Not sure)

DrBo42

After some research it seems the shot above with the purple looking stars is from the Greae Phio stellar forge...so I'm on my way to witness it with my own eyes. Broadcasting the journey on Twitch. Then it's off to see Sag A* for the first time.

http://twitch.tv/drbo42 If you'd like to pop in.

Edit: Game is going insane today. It randomly flipped the axis on my thrust and refuses to save it when I turn it off. FD why.

Jedi2016

Edit: Game is going insane today. It randomly flipped the axis on my thrust and refuses to save it when I turn it off. FD why.
Wait, that's a bug? It did it to me yesterday when I first hooked up my X52, I figured it was something in the way that joystick talked, I just inverted it without a second thought and kept going. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that.

DrBo42

Wait, that's a bug? It did it to me yesterday when I first hooked up my X52, I figured it was something in the way that joystick talked, I just inverted it without a second thought and kept going. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that.

It was super strange. I've been using this joystick with this game, with the same bind profile for months and all of a sudden it switched the inversion. I think you do have to turn the inversion on with the x52 throttle but it was acting like it wasn't switched on.

Jedi2016

Isn't it the same bind as select target? Lemme look.

Edit: It's under Interface Mode - UI Panel Select
Just got back in to try it out, yep, that was it. Much easier to get around. I'm trying to set up some of the UI stuff as similar to the Thrustmaster as I can to make the transition easier.

It was super strange. I've been using this joystick with this game, with the same bind profile for months and all of a sudden it switched the inversion. I think you do have to turn the inversion on with the x52 throttle but it was acting like it wasn't switched on.
Yeah, still behaving okay tonight. I was ready for it to slam me into a wall as soon as I launched, though, which I was NOT expecting yesterday. Thankfully I was in a ship with shields (my Eagle has none).

I set up voice attack tonight, it's great just being able to tell your ship to do the simple things like deploy/retract landing gear and engage the fsd. I know it's lazy, all I have to do is flick a switch on the joystick, but I'm a lazy person.

Voice Attack is great. Couldn't imagine playing without it at this point.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it.

I am considering selling my Viper to get the Cobra. I only have 400k in the bank, but my viper is pretty upgraded so it would knock off a lot of the price. I'm undecided, going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Be sure to sell all components and any required components, replace with the absolute cheapest before selling the whole ship. If you sell components you get 100% of their value, if you sell them with the ship, I believe it's a 10% loss.

Jedi2016

Be sure to sell all components and any required components, replace with the absolute cheapest before selling the whole ship. If you sell components you get 100% of their value, if you sell them with the ship, I believe it's a 10% loss.
I think they fixed that, so that you still take the 10% hit when selling individual components.

Cobra's a good multipurpose ship, I used one for quite a while before I got my Asp. Mid-level hauling, and it could hold its own in a firefight. That was when I started branching into multiple ships, I kept the Cobra when I bought my Type-6.

They changed it but then changed it back I believe. There was a backlash because it prevented experimentation. Once you start hitting the multi-million per component prices, it's a big hit that just pushes the community to min/max ship builds.

What are the best profiles for Voice Attack? I'm just using one I set up myself with a txt to voice program, but now I'm reading that some have radio stations and other cool features?

I am considering selling my Viper to get the Cobra. I only have 400k in the bank, but my viper is pretty upgraded so it would knock off a lot of the price. I'm undecided, going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Do it! You won't regret the Cobra. It was the ship that finally made everything much more attainable for me.

What are the best profiles for Voice Attack? I'm just using one I set up myself with a txt to voice program, but now I'm reading that some have radio stations and other cool features?

The Astra pack has been pretty good for me, with a fair amount of customizations to suit my preferred speech patterns... and disabling a lot of the fluff. It comes with a lot of useful audio files to use as command feedback/confirmation, so I've pretty much built a custom profile using its contents as the foundation. Was definitely worth it, and helped me learn the ins and outs of VA.

So this weekend I finally made the trip to the Jellyfish and Crab Nebulae, with a few colorful stops along the way.

Burny

Yeah, I'm enjoying it.

Yes, do it (for trade and multi purpose ship). Keep in mind though, while the Cobra itself costs below 400k credits, upgrading its modules into the A-range will cost several millions. Had to learn that yesterday when bought a Cobra. ;)

Effect

So I upgraded my Cobra to a Diamondback Scout this weekend. I think I might be switching back though. It's okay for the most part but didn't realized how much of an issue having few internal slots would be. Having more utility slots is nice but seems like waste. I have nothing to fill them with that would be helpful outside of the warrant scanner.. Sure I use shield boosters as well but I rarely find myself in a position where I need them. Either I'm in combat and I can position myself well (with the Cobra, and before that the Adder and Sidewinder) that I didn't take much damage and if my shield dropped I was okay. Or I was blown away extremely fast because I got jumped by a player group. Being able to turn a bit quicker doesn't to be enough.

I also really don't like how it looks on the inside and that really is the sticking point for me at the moment. I rarely get to see the outside so I don't care about that but if I'm going to be looking at the inside all the time I want to enjoy it. Part of why I liked the Adder and the Cobra is it felt like I was an in actual space ship based how it looked. It gave more of being in a shuttle or runabout in Star Trek vs that Star Wars feeling I get while being in a Sidewinder, Eagle, or Viper. I happen to like that Star Trek feeling more.

I would ideally have the Cobra and a Viper or the Scout but not being able to easily switch when I want stops that so I'm just focusing on one ship.

DrBo42

First discovered Earth-like! Thousands of LYs and jumps and I finally find one that hasn't been claimed.

Edit: You really can hear animals when you're zoomed in on the system map. I thought people were fucking with me. It's all true.

Qasiel

I really need to start exploring I reckon. I've been holding it off until I got my new gaming PC so I can fully appreciate a beautiful looking galaxy, but now I've got one I've got no more excuses.

Obviously going to go for an Asp but I think I should start looking into a solid build so I can jump off and start my star trekking.

DrBo42

I really need to start exploring I reckon. I've been holding it off until I got my new gaming PC so I can fully appreciate a beautiful looking galaxy, but now I've got one I've got no more excuses.

Obviously going to go for an Asp but I think I should start looking into a solid build so I can jump off and start my star trekking.
If you haven't made an exploration voyage yet, I'd wait until Horizons when you can actually land on some of the no-atmosphere planets and moons you find. Would be a crazy experience to have that as your first trip.

Wish I could Eternal Sunshine this game out of my memories and experience it for the first time in a few years when it actually feels complete.

Qasiel

If you haven't made an exploration voyage yet, I'd wait until Horizons when you can actually land on some of the no-atmosphere planets and moons you find. Would be a crazy experience to have that as your first trip.

Wish I could Eternal Sunshine this game out of my memories and experience it for the first time in a few years when it actually feels complete.

That's a good call. By the looks of things I'll need a little bit more cash to fully outfit an Asp to a good exploration spec so I can grind some bounties/conflict zones and start my Asp build during the wait.

Burny

For me, following the game's evolution is just as fascinating as playing it actually. ;-) I only wish that I had gotten onto the Kickstarter bandwagon earlier.

On a technical note: I'm running into some unfortunate supercruise framerate drops. When in normal flight, hunting in busy RES or landing in stations, the game runs smoothly at 60fps. Whenever I go into supercruise, and fly towards other systems, the framerate drops first to 45 fps, then to 30 and eventually to 20. My system has a 4 core Xeon from last year, 16GB or RAM and a R9 280X, so it should be sufficient. This happens at medium and at high setting. I have yet to find a remedy. I guess I'll see if the 1.4 release tomorrow changes anything...

Do it! You won't regret the Cobra. It was the ship that finally made everything much more attainable for me.

The Astra pack has been pretty good for me, with a fair amount of customizations to suit my preferred speech patterns... and disabling a lot of the fluff. It comes with a lot of useful audio files to use as command feedback/confirmation, so I've pretty much built a custom profile using its contents as the foundation. Was definitely worth it, and helped me learn the ins and outs of VA

Yes, do it (for trade and multi purpose ship). Keep in mind though, while the Cobra itself costs below 400k credits, upgrading its modules into the A-range will cost several millions. Had to learn that yesterday when bought a Cobra. ;)

Thanks, I'm going to do it, I feel too limited with the Viper, even though it's a great fighter, I want to experience other things like exploring and mining. I will check out Astra too.

For me, following the game's evolution is just as fascinating as playing it actually. ;-) I only wish that I had gotten onto the Kickstarter bandwagon earlier.

On a technical note: I'm running into some unfortunate supercruise framerate drops. When in normal flight, hunting in busy RES or landing in stations, the game runs smoothly at 60fps. Whenever I go into supercruise, and fly towards other systems, the framerate drops first to 45 fps, then to 30 and eventually to 20. My system has a 4 core Xeon from last year, 16GB or RAM and a R9 280X, so it should be sufficient. This happens at medium and at high setting. I have yet to find a remedy. I guess I'll see if the 1.4 release tomorrow changes anything...

Have you experienced that problem from the start or just recently? Because I have experienced that as well, but only since yesterday, the sound also goes a bit crackled at the same time, and it's not every time I'm in supercruise, just occasionally.

I had another odd thing happen last night as well, I was interdicted and it lasted for about five minutes, the target would occasionally jump about as if there was lag or something and the red and blue bars weren't moving at all. I thought it would never end.

Effect

Good idea to wait for that. I tried make a small trip this week as well and I think I got around a little over 100ly away from my previous further point. It's just so boring though. Even with having other things on in the background (tv, music, etc) doesn't help. Being able to possibly land on planets and moons and potentially find interesting things there should make things more interesting.

One of my worries is going so far out that it takes equally long to get back. Also to see some of the really interesting vistas I pretty much have to keep going further out over a matter of several play sessions right? Even going as far as I did I didn't see anything strangely different then before but then again I wasn't dropping into range of every planet and astroid belt after scanning them. I was focused mainly on getting exploration money.

I really should just pick a point, write it down for the next session, and keep going no matter what and then see where I am within a few weeks once the expansion drops. Until then I think I'm going to focus just trying to get enough money to outfit my ship for the trip.

First discovered Earth-like! Thousands of LYs and jumps and I finally find one that hasn't been claimed.

Edit: You really can hear animals when you're zoomed in on the system map. I thought people were fucking with me. It's all true.
lol, yup! I got 3 undiscovered earth-likes in the 2k LY between the Jellyfish and Crab nebulae alone. I'm having the most luck at F-class stars, F2s mostly. K2s seem to have decent odds as well. There were tons of water worlds around G- and A-class stars--I hardly bat an eye at those anymore. And of course they all have their share of terraforming candidates, which are always worth the detailed scan. Once you have a good feel for the habitable zone of a star depending on its mass/temperature, the terraformables begin jumping out at you.

Thanks Pomer! It was my first time with hi-res shots. Sadly, when taking hi-res shots inside the cockpit, there's some strange artifacting--everything gets dotted with a grid of black pixels. Shame, as the HUD-off canopy shots are some of my favorite.

Pomerlaw

I posted your triple star pic in the Katamari Elite thread on RSI's forums. Got a "wow! reply. And believe me those guys have seen LOTS of pics. ;)

DrBo42

Good idea to wait for that. I tried make a small trip this week as well and I think I got around a little over 100ly away from my previous further point. It's just so boring though. Even with having other things on in the background (tv, music, etc) doesn't help. Being able to possibly land on planets and moons and potentially find interesting things there should make things more interesting.

One of my worries is going so far out that it takes equally long to get back. Also to see some of the really interesting vistas I pretty much have to keep going further out over a matter of several play sessions right? Even going as far as I did I didn't see anything strangely different then before but then again I wasn't dropping into range of every planet and astroid belt after scanning them. I was focused mainly on getting exploration money.

I really should just pick a point, write it down for the next session, and keep going no matter what and then see where I am within a few weeks once the expansion drops. Until then I think I'm going to focus just trying to get enough money to outfit my ship for the trip.

Keeping a log of destinations or better, just using the grid coordinates is super useful. It is pretty damn boring with exploration's current implementation and IMO the things you'll see are not really worth the tedium. Will be better once Horizons drops but I expect those airless surfaces to be just as boring after seeing a few different types. Exploration needs some major love.

I don't know if it'll feel like it should until you can EVA. Imagine being in a newly designed ship that deploys a boom like the space shuttle that you can EVA out to and set your scanning equipment for the system you're in, maybe different equipment for scan types etc. Just needs something more active that feels like you're actually doing something. Or a console on the ship with dedicated scanning equipment you have to cycle etc. Honking a horn and pointing your ship at an object is just so uninspired.

Spent the night blowing up wanted ships at a resource site and earned 1.5 million, didn't have to sell my viper now and just bought a cobra. Viper is just too much fun fighting in to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom