• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSlek

why pledge to ADL if you want to specialize in slave trade? I think Torval would be a better match since she gives a trade bonus.

I dunno. I just did it because she was closest to where I logged in and found out her stance on slavery afterwards. I only started smuggling slaves because the jobs appeared on bulletin boards and paid exceptionally well.

Pomerlaw

Where is this. Wow.

I honestly don't know. It was posted by another member in the Elite Katamari thread on CGI's (Star Citizen) forums. We are a bunch of Star Citizen backers there that post regularly. Everything about ED gets merged in that thread...

It looks like a lava planet in front of a blue star (eclipse). You can see the corona behind it. And there is a ring around the planet.

Anyway it probably is the most amazing Elite shot I have seen yet.

I honestly don't know. It was posted by another member in the Elite Katamari thread on CGI's (Star Citizen) forums. We are a bunch of Star Citizen backers there that post regularly. Everything about ED gets merged in that thread...

It looks like a lava planet in front of a blue star (eclipse). You can see the corona behind it. And there is a ring around the planet.

What the hell, I'm pretty sure that's where I was last night! If I'm right about it, it's Celaeno, one of the stars of the Pleiades cluster. I hung around that planet for a little bit and played in the belt and it is just the craziest looking place.

Edit: Here's another shot of the place from the internets:
Ya63FPk.jpg

I was pretty pissed about that trip, I went to the Pleiades and about 200ly up and away from occupied space and every star I went to had been visited by someone else first. Was getting tired of exploration pretty quickly as a result.

Do you have a link to that thread? I've searched for it and all I get are bad links. I have a RSI/CIG account, too.

Pomerlaw

What the hell, I'm pretty sure that's where I was last night! If I'm right about it, it's Celaeno, one of the stars of the Pleiades cluster. I hung around that planet for a little bit and played in the belt and it is just the craziest looking place.

The galaxy is a small place! lol I think you are right on! It seems like you found it too!

Do you have a link to that thread? I've searched for it and all I get are bad links. I have a RSI/CIG account, too.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/86097/katamari-damashii-elite-dangerous/p1126

That's the page with the incredible pics by dante80. This is a great thread if you love Elite, lots of cool, civil guys, unless the periodic dumps (merges) breaks the mood.

MattyG

Banned
I just started playing and this is really hard. It kept overshooting my target when I was un supercruise mode, didn't know how to drop out and how far from it I should drop out, and I couldn't find the docking bay door on the tutorial station for like 5 minutes. But damn, is it fun. I think I may buy a flight stick eventually, I've heard it's really great.

Also, bring on VR.

DrBo42

Tried out CQC for the first time today, didn't think I would be into it but it's really damn good. The speed and control of the Condor feels really good. On the other hand it cements just how much of a joke it'll be as a deployable fighter in Horizons, this thing is a paper plate.

Streaming if you want to watch a bad pilot http://www.twitch.tv/drbo42

Pomerlaw

I just started playing and this is really hard. It kept overshooting my target when I was un supercruise mode, didn't know how to drop out and how far from it I should drop out, and I couldn't find the docking bay door on the tutorial station for like 5 minutes. But damn, is it fun. I think I may buy a flight stick eventually, I've heard it's really great.

Also, bring on VR.

Yep its not a game that guide you a lot, but I'm glad you enjoy the road.

DrSlek

Also, bring on VR.

Put your throttle marker in the blue bit of your throttle indicator bar in the centre console. That'll automatically accelerate and decelerate for you. Just point yourself at your target and sit back for a bit while autopilot does the work. The most you need to do is correct your trajectory every now and then, and press J to exit supercruise when you're within 1Mm from the target.

Hylian7

Also, bring on VR.

Yeah, like others have said, you can use the blue area on the throttle gauge to keep yourself at the right speed. If you really want to go faster, you can full throttle for a while and when you get close-ish, throttle down and start corkscrewing. This should slow you down. I prefer to just leave it on autopilot though.

I tried E:D at PAX South with the Oculus. That was what convinced me to buy the game, and sold me on VR. It was the first time I had tried Oculus/any VR at all. It was truly an amazing experience and I will definitely get some kind of VR for it.

HelloMeow

Yeah, like others have said, you can use the blue area on the throttle gauge to keep yourself at the right speed. If you really want to go faster, you can full throttle for a while and when you get close-ish, throttle down and start corkscrewing. This should slow you down. I prefer to just leave it on autopilot though.

You can go full throttle until the time to arrival is about 6 seconds. 7 to be safe, 5 if you got a feel for it. Even less if you use a planet to slow down.

As I said in the other thread: Don't get it now, if you're not in hurry to play it! Get the Horizons season (2) when you can spare the time to play it, as that'll include everything from season 1 (the main game currently on sale), while you'd have to buy Horizons separately if you bought the main game now.

Thanks, but I bought it anyway. Played it for an hour or so and enjoyed it. £18 wasn't a bad price at all. I'm sure I'll get my money's worth.

I will say you won't have any trouble running it. My old rig is:

i7-920
12GB ram
970 FTW+

I'm running at 1200p with sweetFX post-processing, game essentially maxed out and smooth 60fps with head tracking. I don't expect you'd have any problems at all. If you buy, you can be confident that you'll run it like a champ.

Well...I don't think it's that simple.

Get it now if you want a 3-month head start on the people who don't buy in until Horizons and an opportunity to make some progress towards the money and rankings you'll need to buy those big, badass ships coming in 1.5.

Indeed, you can get some badass ships in 3 months. And you could justify it by it being sort of a trial run to see if you want to invest more via Horizons. Better to spend $28 now and end up spending an extra $13 total later if you're happy with the game than spending $60 in December and potentially being disappointed.

Really with the base game he'll have enough content, missions and shit to play until Horizons hits discounted pricing. I've got probably 700 hours in and still find stuff to do.

Went across the inhabited galaxy to pick up some extra C3 gimbaled beams and finally turn in all of my bounty money from kill warrant scans. I think it was about $20 mill in total.

I love this game, tbh.

It's running great at the preset ultra settings 1080p. Locked 60fps, but even though it's on an ssd, there is still the odd stutter from what I assume is loading. Not enough to bother me.

MattyG

Banned
So I played about 4 more hours. I'm loving it, but I just suck so much. I took two bounties, couldn't find them. I took a cargo mission, I have no idea where to get stuff. I feel like there's a ton to learn and I'm just going to have to keep a wiki open. Also I kind of suck at flying. I'm going to get a joystick later this week.

The coolest thing that happened though was that I got ripped out of hyperspace by a pirate. I've been playing with Spotify on in the background, so I'm fighting this guy one on one with Micheal Buble blasting over the laserfire, and then 4 or 5 other people come and joined in. The fight lasted nearly 10 minutes, but it was more intense and engaging that anything else I've played this year.

^ That brings back memories. I've probably put 200+ hours on the game and I'm still learning new things. Hell, there are entire ways to play that I haven't even tried yet, like mining or running trade routes.

The stick should help tremendously with your flying. I'd also recommend a head tracking solution of some sort--I couldn't imagine flying without it now.

Burny

I ran into a weird bug (?) yesterday evening in open. Was interdicted by who-knows-who in my Vulture and filled the blue bar for escaping completely. I then kept it full for another minute and a half or so, without anything happening. Then I throttled down to zero, submitting. As a result, the red bar filled completely, but still nothing happened. I could more or less move freely, even looking into the opposite direction of the escape vector, where the blue circular tint effect you're seeing in your cockpit when interdicted has a hole. ;-)

Logged off then. I wonder what caused this...

GeoGonzo

I ran into a weird bug (?) yesterday evening in open. Was interdicted by who-knows-who in my Vulture and filled the blue bar for escaping completely. I then kept it full for another minute and a half or so, without anything happening. Then I throttled down to zero, submitting. As a result, the red bar filled completely, but still nothing happened. I could more or less move freely, even looking into the opposite direction of the escape vector, where the blue circular tint effect you're seeing in your cockpit when interdicted has a hole. ;-)

Logged off then. I wonder what caused this...

Maybe that's what happens when a Type-9 intercepts? "oooh I'll catch you, eventually!"

I am super excited about playing this in VR but I'm nervous about the stuttering issues and how impactful they will be with VR. They seem to be really struggling to find the root cause of the Supercruise stuttering. It's been one of their known unresolved issues that they've mentioned several times as an issue they are well aware of but can't seem to get to the bottom of it.

MattyG

Banned
Just did a couple elicit cargo (stolen black box) contracts. The last one ended with me getting in the station and someone being blasted out of the air by security for some violation. I flew in trying to play it as cool as possible so I didn't get scanned and then BAM someone's firing. I just kind of hung around for a second like this

w3HdVio.gif

and then landed and offloaded that shit as quick as I could.

I have about 60k credits now and I think I can buy a new ship. Should I? Which one? I was looking at either the Eagle or the Asp.

The Asp is going to run you a good deal more than 60k... about 100 times that much, actually, and that's without any of the very expensive components it really needs to shine as an all-rounder.

The Eagle is a peppy fighter and will take down enemies about 50% faster than the Sidewinder thanks to its additional hardpoint. It's a healthy step up from the Sidewinder, and relatively cheap to boot.

If I had to recommend anything, though, it would be to keep saving for a Cobra--maybe bank around 500k before buying it so you can outfit it decently from the beginning. The Cobra will REALLY open up the galaxy for you.

He must be thinking of the Adder.

I'd go with Eagle, personally. Can do some bounty hunting to quickly upgrade to a Viper, which is a ship you can stick with for a while. Unless, of course, you want to focus solely on trading or exploration.

I actually forgot all about the Adder. I'd take it over a Viper any day... what it lacks in firepower it makes up for in versatility that the Viper will never have, and at nearly half the price. Really I just can't handle the Viper's tiny fuel tank and shortage of internal compartments. :)

Matty--if you haven't yet paid a visit to a resource extraction site to take down wanted criminals, I'd suggest putting it at the top of your list if you get that Eagle. That'll give you your first real taste of bounty hunting--and at this early stage, the cash will look quite nice. Just be sure you can cover the rebuy costs if something tragic happens.

I actually forgot all about the Adder. I'd take it over a Viper any day... what it lacks in firepower it makes up for in versatility that the Viper will never have, and at nearly half the price. Really I just can't handle the Viper's tiny fuel tank and shortage of internal compartments. :)

Matty--if you haven't yet paid a visit to a resource extraction site to take down wanted criminals, I'd suggest putting it at the top of your list if you get that Eagle. That'll give you your first real taste of bounty hunting--and at this early stage, the cash will look quite nice. Just be sure you can cover the rebuy costs if something tragic happens.

Well, they really have different purposes. I wouldn't want an Adder in a HIRES or, god forbid, a HICON. With a Cobra, you could probably earn a few hundred thousand credits in an hour, if not more.

But if you're looking to explore, haul cargo, and occasionally help take down a Wanted target with system security, Adder would probably be better.

Right, the Cobra has all the firepower of the Viper with the versatility of the Adder. It's by far the best first all-rounder, which is why I suggested he save for it--won't really restrict him in any way as he learns which profitable space activities he prefers. I made the jump straight from the Sidewinder into a Cobra for that reason, and mostly through accompanying security forces in RESs... like a proud mosquito in a swarm of hornets. Good times.

Qasiel

Yes the Cobra is the game changer. That and the Viper are still my favorite ships.

Totally agree. I went Sidewinder > Hauler > Cobra (fancied a bit of combat) > Viper (fancied faster combat) until I could afford my Vulture which is just a tank. I still have my Cobra docked somewhere, too. I ain't ever givin' that baby up.

Hylian7

So what's the deal on 1.4/CQC? Frontier is really taking their sweet time with this one. I mean I want them to get it right for sure, but it's been in beta for a pretty long time now.

Totally agree. I went Sidewinder > Hauler > Cobra (fancied a bit of combat) > Viper (fancied faster combat) until I could afford my Vulture which is just a tank. I still have my Cobra docked somewhere, too. I ain't ever givin' that baby up.

Vulture <3<3<3 Love at first ugly sight for me. So glad they (wisely) didn't nerf it. And those engine sounds!

So what's the deal on 1.4/CQC? Frontier is really taking their sweet time with this one. I mean I want them to get it right for sure, but it's been in beta for a pretty long time now.

Kornelius's latest video seems to indicate it's releasing next week.

Did y'all watch ObsidianAnt's latest on the expansion? He actually includes info from his interview with some FD peeps.

Things I didn't know:

-Not all planets will be spherical--"potato" shaped planets
-Can mark ships as friendly, neutral, or enemy; your AI crew/wingmates will react accordingly
-Crews will initially only have two player-controlled members, at least initially
-He speculates that we WILL be walking around sometime in 2016. In ObsidianAnt, I trust :) Makes sense if that job posting is any hint. He doesn't think we'll be walking in stations or anything like that, but the first baby steps
-Crafting for weapons customization: can customize damage output, fire rate, power use, etc., but always at expense of something else
-Rare modules may be found on planets (maybe in shipwrecks or stations?)

I watched that video. Those combat mission payouts combined with bounties.
PogChamp.png

Yuuuup! Those rank requirements, though...I have work to do.

MattyG

Banned
Okay, I bought an Eagle. I still suck at combat though and I'm not makign credits very fast (because I'm taking a lot of combat bounties). What did most of you do in the beginning? Just do lower payout missions until you got better weapons and then combat stuff? And I feel like I'm staying too close to my starting system, I think need to keep moving.

Okay, I bought an Eagle. I still suck at combat though and I'm not makign credits very fast (because I'm taking a lot of combat bounties). What did most of you do in the beginning? Just do lower payout missions until you got better weapons and then combat stuff? And I feel like I'm staying too close to my starting system, I think need to keep moving.

I traded mostly but back then bounties and combat bonds paid out far worse. You did combat for fun, not for making a profit. Now things are balanced a bit better.

You could wing up with someone with a bit more fire power and make some money quick. I'd be willing to give you hand if you'd like. Getting to the Cobra will open things up for you quite a bit.

I ran a few courier missions until I found a Resource Extraction Site and realized that was where I needed to be. RESs are where you want to practice your combat. They're usually located at the rings of gas giants, and you're sure to find them in systems with extraction economies (use the galaxy map, map view, and do the color sorting by economy to find these systems). I haven't visited one since the latest update, but I'd suggest finding a low-intensity site to get your feet wet. You'll see ships mining the chunks--let them do their business. Pirates will fly in and try to attack them. Any ship you see marked as "Wanted" is fair game, but be careful as to their competency, the type of ship they're in, and if they're in a wing with other criminals. With some discretion you'll safely rack up thousands of credits in no time. Just dock at a port within that system when you're finished and claim your money in the Contacts section.

A kill warrant scanner is your best friend in these as well. Running that scan on a wanted ship will allow you to claim all the bounties they've accrued throughout the whole of colonized space, not just the local system.

MattyG

Banned
I traded mostly but back then bounties and combat bonds paid out far worse. You did combat for fun, not for making a profit. Now things are balanced a bit better.

You could wing up with someone with a bit more fire power and make some money quick. I'd be willing to give you hand if you'd like. Getting to the Cobra will open things up for you quite a bit.

I ran a few courier missions until I found a Resource Extraction Site and realized that was where I needed to be. RESs are where you want to practice your combat. They're usually located at the rings of gas giants, and you're sure to find them in systems with extraction economies (use the galaxy map, map view, and do the color sorting by economy to find these systems). I haven't visited one since the latest update, but I'd suggest finding a low-intensity site to get your feet wet. You'll see ships mining the chunks--let them do their business. Pirates will fly in and try to attack them. Any ship you see marked as "Wanted" is fair game, but be careful as to their competency, the type of ship they're in, and if they're in a wing with other criminals. With some discretion you'll safely rack up thousands of credits in no time. Just dock at a port within that system when you're finished and claim your money in the Contacts section.

A kill warrant scanner is your best friend in these as well. Running that scan on a wanted ship will allow you to claim all the bounties they've accrued throughout the whole of colonized space, not just the local system.
Okay, I'll give some of these a shot tonight, thanks.

One last thing; how do I stay on a target in combat? My biggest issue right now is that I'm basically just doing loop de loops until I get them in my sights. My turns also feel like they take forever because I don't know what speed to go and fights take forever because I can never stay on someone long enough to get their shields down.

Okay, I'll give some of these a shot tonight, thanks.

One last thing; how do I stay on a target in combat? My biggest issue right now is that I'm basically just doing loop de loops until I get them in my sights. My turns also feel like they take forever because I don't know what speed to go and fights take forever because I can never stay on someone long enough to get their shields down.

Keep throttle in blue and toggle flight assist off while making turns. Use thrusters to help turn quicker. An Eagle is about the most agile fighter in the game so once you get the hang of it, it should do you well. The only other ship that flys like it is the Vulture.

It has taken me around three hours, but I have finally configured the controls for the Xbox One pad to a place I feel comfortable. One question though, and apologies if i'm being an idiot and totally missing the option, but can you hide the mouse cursor in menus?

MattyG

Banned
So after about 8 to 10 hours, I'm in love with the game, but it's terrifyingly large. Not from a "oh I'll never do all this stuff" perspective, but from a "this is to scale with our universe and earth isn't even a pixel on the galaxy map holy shit it just keeps scrolling oh my god stop stop stop" kind of perspective. Every time o look at that map, the game looks at its watch and goes "Well would you look at that? It's existential crisis time!"

Keep throttle in blue and toggle flight assist off while making turns. Use thrusters to help turn quicker. An Eagle is about the most agile fighter in the game so once you get the hang of it, it should do you well. The only other ship that flys like it is the Vulture.
Ah, okay thanks. What's a good keybind for flight assist toggle?

frontieruk

So after about 8 to 10 hours, I'm in love with the game, but it's terrifyingly large. Not from a "oh I'll never do all this stuff" perspective, but from a "this is to scale with our universe and earth isn't even a pixel on the galaxy map holy shit it just keeps scrolling oh my god stop stop stop" kind of perspective. Every time o look at that map, the game looks at its watch and goes "Well would you look at that? It's existential crisis time!"

I think everyone has that moment ;)

the realisation

Burny

I ignored missions. Still do. It just wasn't fun flying around in a ship with paper armor and hardly any weaponry, dropping into randomly generated signal sources, hoping that you'll find and kill five pirates and hand in the mission before a two hour timer runs out. With the chance of getting killed while at it, as I didn't knew the controls then or how to act in which situation etc.. Did I mention paper armor? :p Transport missions were even less attractive in a Sidewinder with four meagre tons of cargo, meaning that I could take all but the least profitable missions. And then find out that the ship's jump range wasn't sufficient to get to the target location while carrying the cargo (iirc I had issues with the Sidwinder's jump range,butmaybe I just hadn't refueled?).

Anyway, I stuck to hanging out at the system's nav beacon trying to steal kills from the system security. Albeit with an Eagle, because I got one having preordered the game. This turned out entertaining and profitable enough to get me into a Viper eventually.

This is also the most important advice to any beginner imo: get out of the starting ship asap (this includes the Eagle imo)!

Faith

Oh man that planetary landing sounds awesome. I can't wait to get back to this game in Q1 2016 when I get my CV1.

1.5 years of new content.

MattyG

Banned
I ignored missions. Still do. It just wasn't fun flying around in a ship with paper armor and hardly any weaponry, dropping into randomly generated signal sources, hoping that you'll find and kill five pirates and hand in the mission before a two hour timer runs out. With the chance of getting killed while at it, as I didn't knew the controls then or how to act in which situation etc.. Did I mention paper armor? :p Transport missions were even less attractive in a Sidewinder with four meagre tons of cargo, meaning that I could take all but the least profitable missions. And then find out that the ship's jump range wasn't sufficient to get to the target location while carrying the cargo (iirc I had issues with the Sidwinder's jump range,butmaybe I just hadn't refueled?).

Anyway, I stuck to hanging out at the system's nav beacon trying to steal kills from the system security. Albeit with an Eagle, because I got one having preordered the game. This turned out entertaining and profitable enough to get me into a Viper eventually.

This is also the most important advice to any beginner imo: get out of the starting ship asap (this includes the Eagle imo)!
Okay, so my next goal will be to get out of my Eagle. I'll try the nav beacon thing for a bit right now.

Pomerlaw

Viper has some power problems.

BUT, you can play with load outs and power priorities.

My FSD and life support shuts down when I put out my guns. 25 minutes of oxygen are enough for most fights. =)

You get it. And when you think about it, this is how space should feel like. But I it is possible to meet in game with other CMDRs. Frontier will add player controlled factions soon, me and about 15 other CMDRs have chosen a home system and we meet each other quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom