• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

Spent the night blowing up wanted ships at a resource site and earned 1.5 million, didn't have to sell my viper now and just bought a cobra. Viper is just too much fun fighting in to sell it.

Probably still my favorite ship in the game. Design, hardpoint placement, speed, sound...it's all great. Wish they'd do a rebalance or tweak making the fast and low profile ships much harder to track or hit. These great nimble ships are just relegated to a leveling role, like the Viper or Courier (although the Courier is far more expensive and just as relatively useless comparatively from an Open play perspective). Then of course even if you make them hard to hit, you have to deal with the absurdity of shield cell tanking. The balance in this game is just all over the place.

Burny

Have you experienced that problem from the start or just recently? Because I have experienced that as well, but only since yesterday, the sound also goes a bit crackled at the same time, and it's not every time I'm in supercruise, just occasionally.

I had another odd thing happen last night as well, I was interdicted and it lasted for about five minutes, the target would occasionally jump about as if there was lag or something and the red and blue bars weren't moving at all. I thought it would never end.

I haven't had the issue from the start. It appeared once before after the 1.3 update. Deinstalling a beta driver and changing the video settings made it diappear completely, but it has reappeared "recently". Might have to do something with another driver update or using Windows 10 in the meantime though. I can't say if either is causing it, as I've not played the game regularily enough on the gaming PC (living room) - rather using the laptop on the desk, because that's where the track IR and HOTAS is. Working on a solution to get those into the living room when required though, without having to spend 30 minutes on setting everything up each time.

As described on the last (?) page, I've also had a similar interdiction issue.

SmartBase

I barely had to download anything, I think it might've just copied most of the files from the beta folder.

Not too long now I hope.

I'm going to have to stop using voice attack whilst my wife is watching TV. After downloading astra and having so many other commands the talking is setting off all kinds of shit.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Woah, so the CQC patch is today? I haven't had much time to play Elite lately but I may have to log in tomorrow night and stay up very late with it (I'm off from work Thursday!). Very curious to see how much I like or dislike this...

Woah, so the CQC patch is today? I haven't had much time to play Elite lately but I may have to log in tomorrow night and stay up very late with it (I'm off from work Thursday!). Very curious to see how much I like or dislike this...

Yup, biiiiig patch today. Haven't had time to go through the entire changelog, it's huge.

I just got into this game a few days ago. Bought a flight stick and I am in love. I see I jumped in just in time for a new patch. I will say the games learning curve is a bit steep but I have a grip on it now and loving it. Got a Cobra last night after I ran out of fuel in my sidewinder and said screw it. Currently hanging out in the Aeternus system I think.

If anyone is interested in some light reading, below is a link to the changelog.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=188174

One line in particular caught my eye 'Put more awesome into space'; seeing as I am currently near the core I am excite.

Cant wait to come home tonight and try out 1.4.
as I meantioned on reddit, I want to know what they did to the pulse laser and multicannon. says it was "tweaked" with no further information.

HAVE THEY BEEN NERFED?

Would be an interesting twist to say the least, as they're no doubt the most popular weapons in the game. If pulses require more energy now or if multicannons do less damage or take longer to reload or something it would force people to change a lot of builds.

I just got into this game a few days ago. Bought a flight stick and I am in love. I see I jumped in just in time for a new patch. I will say the games learning curve is a bit steep but I have a grip on it now and loving it. Got a Cobra last night after I ran out of fuel in my sidewinder and said screw it. Currently hanging out in the Aeternus system I think.

Same here, I'm in love. I had a Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick lying around, and it's working well enough. I just spoiled myself, though, and ordered a Thrustmaster Warthog from Newegg Canada. Hope it gets here before the weekend! Now I'm itching to pick up a Rift DK2, but with the finished product around the corner I'm really fighting the urge. Now that the server is back up, I think I'll go earn a few credits and get out of this sidewinder!

Burny

Same here, I'm in love. I had a Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick lying around, and it's working well enough. I just spoiled myself, though, and ordered a Thrustmaster Warthog from Newegg Canada. Hope it gets here before the weekend! Now I'm itching to pick up a Rift DK2, but with the finished product around the corner I'm really fighting the urge. Now that the server is back up, I think I'll go earn a few credits and get out of this sidewinder!

Keep in mind that the Warthog has no twist axis. If your old stick has one, you might have to have a look at flight pedals. ;)

Keep in mind that the Warthog has no twist axis. If your old stick has one, you might have to have a look at flight pedals. ;)

Yeah, I realized that shortly after ordering it. :/ Made me regret the purchase for a few minutes. I'll probably get by with one of the hats, but If I can't configure something properly to replace the twisting of the stick I'll have to look into rudders. Any suggestions?

Skin winners announced.

xh76Lfq.png

jexsByu.jpg

9dxWdbp.png

pogkZT3.jpg

Hsa5wk0.png

Also, Dreams, your boss is now emperor:

THOSE are the skins that won? I'd hate to see the ones that lost.

P.S. so psyched I came home on my lunch break just now to begin the update

maximizin' that post-work play time y'all

HelloMeow

Just came across a wing of 4 Pythons and an Anaconda. Finally some challenging stuff, even for player wings!

Oh, and I can't seem to fully repair my ship. It seems to be capped at 99% and the option to repair stays active. I thought they would have fixed this by now.

DrBo42

Yo, that Vulture paint job is disgusting. That Asp...everything on it is symmetrical but the left engine isn't orange? Yikes.

Hylian7

So am I correct in saying it looks like the Hazardous RES have spawn tables like the other ones? I did one earlier and saw Pythons, Clippers, Imperial Eagles. Those each gave ~200k apiece after KWS though.

So am I correct in saying it looks like the Hazardous RES have spawn tables like the other ones? I did one earlier and saw Pythons, Clippers, Imperial Eagles. Those each gave ~200k apiece after KWS though.

Along with compromised nav beacons, they're the only spot where Wanted condas spawn.

Qasiel

Had a blast this evening! Ventured into a Hazardous RES and encountered a Federal Assault craft which put up a good fight and net me over 100k for it. Then found 2 Imperial Clippers who just proceeded to float there and let me punish them, only really seeming to want to flee at 10% hull which was odd. Also found that even though I'm at 100% hull myself, no matter what station I dock at it always prompts me to repair for 10c.

Played a bit of CQC with a friend which was a laugh too.

Reckheim

Anyone else framerate and overall performance gone up considerably? I'm definitely feeling it.

Decided to head back from the core to see all the new updates. A month is too long for exploring anyways.

Edit: when you analyze a new planet it makes a kool sound now. not sure if this is just for water worlds or if it makes different sounds for different types of planets.

frontieruk

Anyone else framerate and overall performance gone up considerably? I'm definitely feeling it.

Decided to head back from the core to see all the new updates. A month is too long for exploring anyways.

It's so much smoother on Xbox than I remember it, and it wasn't shabby before! When did they take the training wheels off on the Xbox and not automatically zero your thrust after coming out of hyperspace?

Good idea to wait for that. I tried make a small trip this week as well and I think I got around a little over 100ly away from my previous further point. It's just so boring though. Even with having other things on in the background (tv, music, etc) doesn't help. Being able to possibly land on planets and moons and potentially find interesting things there should make things more interesting.

One of my worries is going so far out that it takes equally long to get back. Also to see some of the really interesting vistas I pretty much have to keep going further out over a matter of several play sessions right? Even going as far as I did I didn't see anything strangely different then before but then again I wasn't dropping into range of every planet and astroid belt after scanning them. I was focused mainly on getting exploration money.

I really should just pick a point, write it down for the next session, and keep going no matter what and then see where I am within a few weeks once the expansion drops. Until then I think I'm going to focus just trying to get enough money to outfit my ship for the trip.

Keeping a log of destinations or better, just using the grid coordinates is super useful. It is pretty damn boring with exploration's current implementation and IMO the things you'll see are not really worth the tedium. Will be better once Horizons drops but I expect those airless surfaces to be just as boring after seeing a few different types. Exploration needs some major love.

I don't know if it'll feel like it should until you can EVA. Imagine being in a newly designed ship that deploys a boom like the space shuttle that you can EVA out to and set your scanning equipment for the system you're in, maybe different equipment for scan types etc. Just needs something more active that feels like you're actually doing something. Or a console on the ship with dedicated scanning equipment you have to cycle etc. Honking a horn and pointing your ship at an object is just so uninspired.

It's a grind, like most other ways to make money in the game, and definitely isn't for everyone. 99.9% of the time, you'll get a system not much unlike the rest of the ones you've seen. What I'm interested in are the subtle variances of the procedural content as well as the extremes it produces--the record breakers. Beyond that, developing a sense of pattern recognition in the content generation is fun in its own right for the science-minded folks, and helps make your expeditions much more efficient and profitable--you'll start getting far more habitable worlds in far less time when you know where to look.

One other thing that has added immensely to my enjoyment of exploration trips is the ability to effortlessly log the journey with EDDiscovery, which reads your game logs and builds a searchable/sortable database of all your visited systems. It's awesome, and has fully replaced my pen and paper. For example, just typing "water" instantly lists all my noted water world systems (I use a "!" anywhere in the notes to indicate first discoveries to make those searchable as well):

For anyone wishing they had a way to go back and look at all the systems they've visited, that app is the best answer until (if ever) Frontier implements some sort of Universal Cartographics Console within the game itself. It also has the means to export distance data to EDSM, trilaterate systems to find their exact coordinates, and build a zoomable 3D map of all the known systems. There's even a built-in screenshot converter which can automatically name your shots by the system you're in, so you'll never be left wondering where that awesome view was located. Helping to map the galaxy via EDSM just adds another layer of purpose to your journeys, and they've also got a leaderboard of the top 100 distance contributors, adding a bit of competition to it all.

Also, all the new exploration stats in the right UI panel are excellent. They also fixed the system searching problems on the galaxy map! What an update.

Patchy

Banned
So has this patch fixed the massive issues that slowly crept in as Frontier added new content but neglected the base game?

Wings has been broken for me for months, same as voice comms.

The change log looks pretty big, I really hope they have sorted it out.

AJLma

Yea, 140FPS+ pretty much constantly. Even in and around busy stations.

Planets with rings are now the biggest framerate killer for me. Drops down to about 90.

Hylian7

So has this patch fixed the massive issues that slowly crept in as Frontier added new content but neglected the base game?

Wings has been broken for me for months, same as voice comms.

The change log looks pretty big, I really hope they have sorted it out.
I hadn't had problems with wings or voice comm at all, what was happening?

This patch had added a ton of nice visual and audio changes. The lasers sounds don't get ridiculously louder than anything else now, and when your weapon is out of range, the dots turn into red X's.

The new damage models they have added are AMAZING! I'm also glad to see they added new pirate dialog and things of that nature, the old ones were getting kind of tiring. One can only read "What treats do you carry?" so many times.

DrBo42

I hadn't had problems with wings or voice comm at all, what was happening?

This patch had added a ton of nice visual and audio changes. The lasers sounds don't get ridiculously louder than anything else now, and when your weapon is out of range, the dots turn into red X's.

The new damage models they have added are AMAZING! I'm also glad to see they added new pirate dialog and things of that nature, the old ones were getting kind of tiring. One can only read "What treats do you carry?" so many times.

How do you fools make a living?

Hylian7

How do you fools make a living?

I'munderattack
You'vemadeyourlastjumpspacedust
I'munderattack
I'munderattack
I'munderattack
You'vemadeyourlastjumpspacedustI'munderattack
I'munderattack
I'munderattack

That bug with the AI spouting lines so rapidly the comms panel keeps scrolling.

DrBo42

It's a grind, like most other ways to make money in the game, and definitely isn't for everyone. 99.9% of the time, you'll get a system not much unlike the rest of the ones you've seen. What I'm interested in are the subtle variances of the procedural content as well as the extremes it produces--the record breakers. Beyond that, developing a sense of pattern recognition in the content generation is fun in its own right for the science-minded folks, and helps make your expeditions much more efficient and profitable--you'll start getting far more habitable worlds in far less time when you know where to look.

Well that's the problem, no? Exploration should never feel like a grind. The player should feel like they're accomplishing something for the species or some exploration program, but I've never felt that while exploring.

Well that's the problem, no? Exploration should never feel like a grind. The player should feel like they're accomplishing something for the species or some exploration program, but I've never felt that while exploring.

I just mean the repetitive nature of it--not in the sense that I don't enjoy it or it isn't rewarding. I'm not gonna find gold under every rock, but I'll turn over quite a few at the promise it's there. Planetary landings will surely help.

A question for anyone who knows: if you take out a wanted ship's life support and it's destroyed when that runs out... shouldn't you get the bounty for that? Did you ever get it before? Never actually did it until just now.

I was interdicted and attacked by a Cobra while in my Vulture (what was that NPC thinking?) and in the battle I destroyed his power plant, but his ship survived. He coasted to a stop, impotent. I destroyed his life support module, blinded him with my lights and watched him die. When he blew up... nothing? Kill warrant scanned him and all.

High intensity resource sites are amazing for making money quick relatively early in the game. Can't believe I wasted so much time at a nav beacon. Finally fully maxed out my viper. Going to start on my cobra now but not sure what kind of build to do.

DrBo42

I just mean the repetitive nature of it--not in the sense that I don't enjoy it or it isn't rewarding. I'm not gonna find gold under every rock, but I'll turn over quite a few at the promise it's there. Planetary landings will surely help.

Yeah but you don't really get the satisfaction of the find. There's no real feedback loop to make it feel like what you found was important other than your personal luck/experience as an explorer informing your own knowledge of how significant an earth-like is for example. Then when you finally get back to a station you have to sell reams of exploration data that all bleeds together and feels like a job on its own.

It's something Kerbal Space Program does really well, the satisfaction of executing your journey and once you recover that science from a location you've never been, instant gratification on just how much science that surface sample is worth. I don't know if I'm making sense here so I apologize if I'm not.

They're just missing something really crucial here and I can't quite define what it needs to be. Maybe additional layers of scanning or visual identification when it comes to terraformable worlds or earth-likes to really send the message home that what YOU just found is a big deal. Obviously landing is a crucial step but the gap between scanning and landing is just too large in terms of interest.

Yeah but you don't really get the satisfaction of the find. There's no real feedback loop to make it feel like what you found was important other than your personal luck/experience as an explorer informing your own knowledge of how significant an earth-like is for example. Then when you finally get back to a station you have to sell reams of exploration data that all bleeds together and feels like a job on its own.

It's something Kerbal Space Program does really well, the satisfaction of executing your journey and once you recover that science from a location you've never been, instant gratification on just how much science that surface sample is worth. I don't know if I'm making sense here so I apologize if I'm not.

They're just missing something really crucial here and I can't quite define what it needs to be. Maybe additional layers of scanning or visual identification when it comes to terraformable worlds or earth-likes to really send the message home that what YOU just found is a big deal. Obviously landing is a crucial step but the gap between scanning and landing is just too large in terms of interest.

No, you're making perfect sense. It takes some imagination in its current state. The numbers and science behind the simulation are interesting enough for me, and also the record-keeping--I've just found a water world with 8 moons, for example, which will be the highest recorded. But for sure it will be all the greater when we have something more visceral to experience on the surface of a distant planet--something more concrete than numbers.

Burny

Next stop: 1.5/Horizons. Will have to outfit my T6 into an explorer until then. I don't see the feedback for success in exploration improving much till then though.

I'm trying to think up worthwhile feedback that's realistic to implement. Increased payouts alone for say, an earthlike, wouldn't change that exploring is in essence a grind. Galnet posts of in universe science organisations announcing the find? That might give the discovery a bit more mental impact. NPC research ships traveling to the planet (spawning there after a while)? Personally generated missions to haul resources/scientists there to construct small research space stations? I'm thinking ISS size here, smaller than the current outposts. Those missions could also increase the explorer rank. Then these research stations/ships would have to offer some meaningful interaction. E.g. spawn missions.

...which would probably be most intersting if they involved landing on the surface and resulted in unique rewards. E.g. a very special craftable laser hue. Ideally, such things would be tradeable. With commander avatars and inhabited planets, things like unique clothing would be imaginable. Big game hunting has been mentioned by FDev, so how about the LP-1337 Ross-A Micro-Space-T-Rex Feather Neglace?

I have a hunch that what I'm dreaming up here, if possible at all, would involve years of dev efffort. Which is my main concern with Star Citizen... They seem to be dreaming up similarily elaborate concepts with every other concept sale, yet to say the visible dev progress hasn't kept pace is an understatement.

Back to 1.4. From what I saw on the Frontier forums, the changes seem to be mostly well received. When hunting a bit in a high intensity RES yesterday, I didn't have to re-instantiate the RES a hundred times. Instead, Clippers, Anacondas, Pythons and Fer de Lances kept jumping in in order to have their bounties collected. Lots of silliness, but it helps the flow of the bounty hunting game immensely. The game also ran a lot smoother on my 2012 laptop, which makes me hopeful that it might be similar on the gaming PC.

Some things I've noticed though: NPCs kept running into asteroids and sometimes the big ships would idly spin and float in space, not offering any resistance. Also, the red and green lights on the station's entrance weren't there. Not sure this is a bug or has to do with the lower video settings on the laptop.

DrBo42

Next stop: 1.5/Horizons. Will have to outfit my T6 into an explorer until then. I don't see the feedback for success in exploration improving much till then though.

I'm trying to think up worthwhile feedback that's realistic to implement. Increased payouts alone for say, an earthlike, wouldn't change that exploring is in essence a grind. Galnet posts of in universe science organisations announcing the find? That might give the discovery a bit more mental impact. NPC research ships traveling to the planet (spawning there after a while)? Personally generated missions to haul resources/scientists there to construct small research space stations? I'm thinking ISS size here, smaller than the current outposts. Those missions could also increase the explorer rank. Then these research stations/ships would have to offer some meaningful interaction. E.g. spawn missions.

...which would probably be most intersting if they involved landing on the surface and resulted in unique rewards. E.g. a very special craftable laser hue. Ideally, such things would be tradeable. With commander avatars and inhabited planets, things like unique clothing would be imaginable. Big game hunting has been mentioned by FDev, so how about the LP-1337 Ross-A Micro-Space-T-Rex Feather Neglace?

I have a hunch that what I'm dreaming up here, if possible at all, would involve years of dev efffort. Which is my main concern with Star Citizen... They seem to be dreaming up similarily elaborate concepts with every other concept sale, yet to say the visible dev progress hasn't kept pace is an understatement.

Any of that would be great. Even just making an inflatable research station to gather more complex data on a habitable system etc would be huge. Get a wing of friends or co-pilot to help set it up. Coordinate runs down to the surface to get samples etc. For that to really pay off though you'd need EVA to help set it up and be able to walk around and set up experiments etc/bring samples back up to the station for testing. Of course that would require some heavy dev time but IMO that's where this game needs to go considering it has the best scale and potential out of anything in development/existing. I don't even want to get started on Star Citizen's concepts etc. Maybe when they have the PU setup.

Just came across a wing of 4 Pythons and an Anaconda. Finally some challenging stuff, even for player wings!

Oh, and I can't seem to fully repair my ship. It seems to be capped at 99% and the option to repair stays active. I thought they would have fixed this by now.

that Vaseline. ugh.

SmartBase

Well my Anaconda's radar is fucked, it's still way too high as was reported in the beta. Like so:

No matter what colours are used it gets really confusing with multiple radar signatures because the extra ring where the radar is meant to sit is more pronounced. Guess I won't be flying for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom