• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putosaure

Well my Anaconda's radar is fucked, it's still way too high as was reported in the beta. Like so:

No matter what colours are used it gets really confusing with multiple radar signatures because the extra ring where the radar is meant to sit is more pronounced. Guess I won't be flying for a while.

Wow, looks like you're entering Cocoa Krispies asteroid field

Burny

I like it :(

Then use it. ;)

I dislike it strongly, just like the blur effect deployed by racing games or on camera movements in some games. Our eyes don't see everything blurry - least of all cockpit instruments, just because we're moving fast. We can still focus on practically anything and I don't want a sim game to prevent me to see anything clearly, when I could theoretically do so in real life. I'm ok with games were this is employed to make them look artsy when it's not critical, or in cutscenes/still images, where depth of field is a great way to focus the image on something.

Jezbollah

FYI, Wanted Anacondas spawn in normal Resource Extraction Sites. Spent some time in the RES next to Kremain 2, hung around three Fed Anacondas and got lucky. Made 1.8m in 30 minutes.

Hylian7

FYI, Wanted Anacondas spawn in normal Resource Extraction Sites. Spent some time in the RES next to Kremain 2, hung around three Fed Anacondas and got lucky. Made 1.8m in 30 minutes.
They brought them back? They spawned there until 1.3, then Anacondas no longer spawned in any RES. You will definitely see them in Hazardous RES though.

I like it :(

I sorta liked it, tbh. But the way it slathers over text worth reading and key readouts the sit along the baseline at times (like your hull strength) doesn't work for me. When I'm using headtracking and I look up a little, it becomes obscured. I like to be able to tilt my head up, then just move my eyes down to see those readouts. The blur makes that impossible. I can see the appeal if you don't have headtracking, however. The most recent version of EDFX did a good job of moving that blur farther down so that it wouldn't cover so much of the bottom of the screen when looking straight ahead. It used to cover half the radar, the fuel levels, etc.

How much would you say is a good amount of money to buy an Anaconda. If I do go that way, I'd like it to be decently upgraded, not bare minimum. I think if I sold everything now, I'd have about 250 million.

DrBo42

How much would you say is a good amount of money to buy an Anaconda. If I do go that way, I'd like it to be decently upgraded, not bare minimum. I think if I sold everything now, I'd have about 250 million.
How much are they again, 176? 250 would be pretty decent IMO. A full combat conda is something outrageous though.

What are the best ways of making money? Does anybody have any good rare goods trade routes they would like to share or mining tips? Anything that is a good steady income. Fighting at high intensity resource sites will get boring after a while and I'd like something else to do when that happens. I only have a viper and a stock cobra at the minute.

Reckheim

What are the best ways of making money? Does anybody have any good rare goods trade routes they would like to share or mining tips? Anything that is a good steady income. Fighting at high intensity resource sites will get boring after a while and I'd like something else to do when that happens. I only have a viper and a stock cobra at the minute.

You can try trading, I would recommend an ASP and using the below route to start.

Karid (Araki Port) 13ls Crop Harvesters → Orang (Bessel Gateway) 89ls
Buy: 2274 (5h 47m)
Sell: 2598 (5h 45m)
Profit: 324
Orang (Bessel Gateway) 89ls Imperial Slaves → Karid (Araki Port) 13ls
Buy: 13881 (5h 45m)
Sell: 16513 (5h 47m)
Profit: 2632

That's about 3k profit round trip. Assuming you have about 110 cargo space in the ASP thats about 300k every 15 minutes or so.

Edit: the prices may be a bit off.

Effect

I really hope with Horizons they made some real changes to the stations. I know perhaps walking around stations, etc is likely a ways off but something to do in them socially would be nice. I play in Open but I rarely encounter anyone in the game. When I rarely do it's usually some ahole in a wing trying to interdict me just for the lols. Then I never see anyone else. I would at least like to see some chat taking place even if people aren't in the same station. Otherwise I don't even know why I bother. It's no different then playing Solo at this point. That's impacting my enjoyment of the game I feel.

It's starting to be really tempted to go back to an mmo for some interaction when I game but can't think of anything that would give me a closer experience save Eve and that's a hole I really don't want to go down.

Interesting--Braben reweeted this post about terrain improvements in 1.4. Terrain generation or shaders may have gotten a boost in prep for Horizons?

5VlDYci.jpg

Also, apparently some minor factions weren't showing yesterday--they should now be fixed. I was about to make my way to Apam Napat but heard we weren't in the game yet. Maybe we are now?

And, lastly, the CQC launch trailer! Another good one.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Interesting--Braben reweeted this post about terrain improvements in 1.4. Terrain generation or shaders may have gotten a boost in prep for Horizons?

5VlDYci.jpg

So, does this mean they improved in game planet surface generation with 1.4 in prep for Horizons? I plan on playing tonight and launching my Diamondback on a new exploration trip, maybe I'll do a few low altitude fly bys of planets to see if surface details are any better than they used to be...

You can try trading, I would recommend an ASP and using the below route to start.

Karid (Araki Port) 13ls Crop Harvesters → Orang (Bessel Gateway) 89ls
Buy: 2274 (5h 47m)
Sell: 2598 (5h 45m)
Profit: 324
Orang (Bessel Gateway) 89ls Imperial Slaves → Karid (Araki Port) 13ls
Buy: 13881 (5h 45m)
Sell: 16513 (5h 47m)
Profit: 2632

That's about 3k profit round trip. Assuming you have about 110 cargo space in the ASP thats about 300k every 15 minutes or so.

Edit: the prices may be a bit off.

Well, I'm a ways off yet from affording an ASP, back to fighting it is. I will save that information though, thanks.

So, does this mean they improved in game planet surface generation with 1.4 in prep for Horizons? I plan on playing tonight and launching my Diamondback on a new exploration trip, maybe I'll do a few low altitude fly bys of planets to see if surface details are any better than they used to be...

Not sure--grabbed that from reddit. Braben didn't write it himself, but retweeted it, so he's seemingly in agreement that at least some planetary surfaces have been improved.

Same here, I'm in love. I had a Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick lying around, and it's working well enough. I just spoiled myself, though, and ordered a Thrustmaster Warthog from Newegg Canada. Hope it gets here before the weekend! Now I'm itching to pick up a Rift DK2, but with the finished product around the corner I'm really fighting the urge. Now that the server is back up, I think I'll go earn a few credits and get out of this sidewinder!

I grabbed a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro for like 25 bucks and it is getting the job done. I learned the hard way the other night, buy a fuel scoop. The Cobra is pretty awesome so far.

I would love a rift, my buddy has a DK1 and 2. I may go bug him to try it with Elite.

Wreav

Banned
Even the DK2 is barely usable. If you can stomach the wait for CV1, that's the way to have your first experience with VR!

How much are they again, 176? 250 would be pretty decent IMO. A full combat conda is something outrageous though.

Ok, I'm thinking save a bit more for upkeep and the unthinkable insurance cost. Ugh, that's the biggest turnoff for going with a Conda.

CQC is a lot of fun. My 2 year old was hooting and hollering at the other team's ships.

It looks awesome but I haven't touched it yet. I fear for the health of my HOTAS though. In high tension, competitive scenarios, I'm afraid I'll push it past its breaking point if I'm not careful.

Seems like more ore, but the OP doesn't give many details. I have never mined, so I don't even know what this screen shot means (other than quantities of ore):

One of his post mentions how the percentages are consistently "better".

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Seems like more ore, but the OP doesn't give many details. I have never mined, so I don't even know what this screen shot means (other than quantities of ore):

So they probably raised the chance of finding good ores rather than drowning in crap ores like it used to be, that would be a good change.

frontieruk

So they probably raised the chance of finding good ores rather than drowning in crap ores like it used to be, that would be a good change.

That is a damn lot of palladium, did he mention how long it took to mine that?

DrBo42

Woah, they buffed mining? How exactly? More ores per hour, or more money per ore? I honestly kind of enjoy mining since they added drones to the game, it's actually kind of fun in a relaxing Euro Truck kind of way. Plus it's a great reason to go flying around asteroid rings.

The biggest thing is the change to prospector limpet. With that on a rock, you get way more chunks out of it. The real money maker is the bulletin board. They'll pay 400k or so for 3-4 tons of certain things.

alright so.

is it just me or has undermining gone to utter shit in 1.4?

I did some undermining for about 1.5 hours tonight and my total was about 30% of what it was last week. Mostly because:

1.) It is suddenly extremely difficult to interdict ships. I'd say 30% of them got away. Maybe more.

2.) Successful interdiction on average took roughly 2x as long.

3.) Target-able ships seemed to spawn less.

Is it just me? Is so that's fine, I just won't bother trying to do Rank 5 anymore. 7 hours/week just to maintain the rank in 1.3 was quite a bit. That becoming 20+ hours to do it in 1.4 is obviously a non-starter.

It's not something I have a problem with so much as just not realizing such a change happened. I'll have to use my time differently now unless I was doing something wrong tonight.

DrBo42

alright so.

is it just me or has undermining gone to utter shit in 1.4?

I did some undermining for about 1.5 hours tonight and my total was about 30% of what it was last week. Mostly because:

1.) It is suddenly extremely difficult to interdict ships. I'd say 30% of them got away. Maybe more.

2.) Successful interdiction on average took roughly 2x as long.

3.) Target-able ships seemed to spawn less.

Is it just me? Is so that's fine, I just won't bother trying to do Rank 5 anymore. 7 hours/week just to maintain the rank in 1.3 was quite a bit. That becoming 20+ hours to do it in 1.4 is obviously a non-starter.

It's not something I have a problem with so much as just not realizing such a change happened. I'll have to use my time differently now unless I was doing something wrong tonight.
I'm reading the same thing everywhere Elite is discussed. Definitely not you doing something wrong. People have talked about the need to get real close behind a target to interdict etc. Seems like a change they should have workshop'd a bit more. Don't remember anyone mentioning it during the 1.4 test builds.

Edit: Would have been smarter to just apply it to player controlled ships if the focus was to reduce annoyance by npcs and domination of player wings.

I'm reading the same thing everywhere Elite is discussed. Definitely not you doing something wrong. People have talked about the need to get real close behind a target to interdict etc. Seems like a change they should have workshop'd a bit more. Don't remember anyone mentioning it during the 1.4 test builds.

Edit: Would have been smarter to just apply it to player controlled ships if the focus was to reduce annoyance by npcs and domination of player wings.

Interesting. Okay I'll just take the L this week and try to maintain rank 4. If it gets fixed, I'll go for it again. I wish I had just done it over the weekend. I had a feeling 1.4 might change up some things (either by accident or on purpose). Glad I didn't put any more time into that grind today because I would have been really frustrated.

Anybody have a good mining load out for the cobra? I know it's not the best ship for the job, but I need to work with what I have.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_...0000303481lC5P4.Iw1-kA==.AwgsEYWdJzgEwIMzKA==

I would set a Cobra up like this.

Prospector not necessary but would be useful and that slot is pretty small for a cargo rack. If you're feeling brave, drop the shield for more cargo space:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_...0000303031lC5P4.Iw1-kA==.AwgsEYWdJzgEwIMzKA==

Put whatever small hardpoint weapons you like on it. Won't matter. you're going to want to chaff and gtfo at the first sight of trouble, so the weapons are just there to make someone respect you and maybe buy you some time.

Interesting. Okay I'll just take the L this week and try to maintain rank 4. If it gets fixed, I'll go for it again. I wish I had just done it over the weekend. I had a feeling 1.4 might change up some things (either by accident or on purpose). Glad I didn't put any more time into that grind today because I would have been really frustrated.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_...0000303481lC5P4.Iw1-kA==.AwgsEYWdJzgEwIMzKA==

I would set a Cobra up like this.

Prospector not necessary but would be useful and that slot is pretty small for a cargo rack. If you're feeling brave, drop the shield for more cargo space:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_...0000303031lC5P4.Iw1-kA==.AwgsEYWdJzgEwIMzKA==

Put whatever small hardpoint weapons you like on it. Won't matter. you're going to want to chaff and gtfo at the first sight of trouble, so the weapons are just there to make someone respect you and maybe buy you some time.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

For anyone interested in a Federal Gunship,

15% discount on the ship and every part you want except the A thruster in Diaguandri System - Ray Gateway. You can get the A thruster in Lembava which is right next door.

Just finished my epic loadout.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_g...34f5n2d2o6b.Iw18aQ==.CwBhGYzBGW+gTA8DYmOIA===

Designed to simply win PvP. Set me back about $108 mill or so after discounts, but it carves out its own very unique niche in my fleet as a true rail gun boat. I'll look find an Assault Ship in Li space tomorrow for a dedicated fixed PvP boat. I don't really have any leads, so I'll just be guessing which stations in his space may have it. If I find a station, I'll certainly post it here.

I'll look find an Assault Ship in Li space tomorrow for a dedicated fixed PvP boat. I don't really have any leads, so I'll just be guessing which stations in his space may have it. If I find a station, I'll certainly post it here.

Check Ix. I don't recall the name of the station now but it's the closest/main station in the system, not an outpost. I parked my Vulture there last night and I believe the shipyard has all the new fed ships.

Edit: Scully-Power station. It definitely has what you're looking for. I think the outfitters may also have all the modules you'd need, though I didn't look over them too thoroughly last night--I was just buying a temporary DBS to scoot back to my Asp's location to consolidate all my stored ships at Ix.

Dev update!

Next on the horizon (I can see this pun being used a lot :) ) is the start of the second season of expansions with Planetary Landings and the accompanying 1.5 Ships update. I talked a bit last week about the mission changes coming, so this week I’ll look at some of the new enemies you’ll encounter on the surface in the Planetary Landings expansion.

As can be expected there is a significant difference between the offensive and defensive capabilities of the ships and the smaller SRVs that you drive on the surface. While it is theory possible for an SRV to shoot down a ship – it’s really not something I’d recommend! From the ship’s perspective this is balanced by the SRVs being hard to hit, although if they do manage to hit, it would be devastating.

To provide the ground operations a more reasonable level of opponents we have added ‘skimmers’ which are capable of limited mobile operations to defend locations. Skimmers are remote controlled security and defence drones primarily designed to protect positions and restrict movement. They are designed to be hard to engage with ships, so the SRV with its rapid fire guns is the best way to tackle them. Be warned that while most rely on their armour, some may have shields.

They are remotely controlled and will usually have a command and control system or relay nearby – these define the area in which the skimmers linked to that system can operate. They are specifically designed for operations on planets and are very manoeuvrable, although incapable of space or high altitude flight. They operate best close to the ground.

Skimmers utilizes many standard manufacturing patterns and are built by various corporations across the galaxy – including big names like Core Dynamics. They are available in different variants, each suited for a different role:
  • Core Dynamics S4 ‘sentry’ skimmer – this is the most widely used skimmer in the vast semi-automated security and protection industry throughout the galaxy, and a mainstay product for Core Dynamics. Comes as standard with a belly-mounted standard recoil-ready small weapon mount, which will take both kinetic and thermal weapons. Designed with an automated alert system so a single pilot can operate multiple such drones.
  • Core Dynamics S5LM ‘guardian’ skimmer – Based on their S4 skimmers, but with reduced weight, and with an enhanced missile launcher weapon mount. A more expensive solution, but often used to protect higher value installations. It sacrifices armour to carry the weight of missiles and so is more vulnerable.
  • Achilles Corp Stinger-2 attack skimmer – Smaller and quicker than Core Dynamics offerings in this sector, and also cheaper to buy. It has no weapon mount, but carries explosives, and can be directed by its pilot to self destruct, taking out its target. Some installations use these skimmers to form a last line of defence for sensitive bases and outposts. In essence they are a flying bomb. The Achilles Corporation cut down its range of skimmers just to the Stinger-2, but it is rumoured they will be launching new skimmers to their range in the next few years.
  • Core Dynamics S9 ‘goliath’ skimmer – A very effective solution to your security needs. Using four surface thrusters this armoured and well-armed skimmer is the most effective on the market. Its greater cost means it is generally only used by military clients, and use is not permitted in some jurisdictions given their offensive abilities.
While most skimmers are usually found near bases, given the recent rise in scavenging of shipwrecks, some transport vessels with higher value cargoes now carry automated distress response packageswhich include skimmers, and they are deployed automatically in the event of a crash to secure the site and help protect any survivors.

Interesting. Sounds like there is potential for pilot-controllable skimmers down the line, as opposed to them just being AI enemies.

Burny

Discovered yesterday that the EDTracker (pro/magnetometer version) makes for excellent living room headtracking. It works perfectly fine after it's configured and doesn't require the camera in front of or behind you, as TrackIR does. Pity my MFG Crosswind pedals will apparently be delayed until sometime at the beginning of November, but I'm getting very comfortable using mouse+keyboard in the meanwhile.

There's also a new dev update detailing some surface skimmer variants. Edit: beaten. :p

aliengmr

I have a question:

I am currently on my way to Sag A*, any tips on arriving there without dying? I'm a bit worried about getting pulled out too close to it. Just when I had thought this game couldn't surprise me I arrived at an M class star that had a class Y dwarf orbiting at the arrival point, nearly killed me. Now I'm all nerves jumping in.

Check Ix. I don't recall the name of the station now but it's the closest/main station in the system, not an outpost. I parked my Vulture there last night and I believe the shipyard has all the new fed ships.

Edit: Scully-Power station. It definitely has what you're looking for. I think the outfitters may also have all the modules you'd need, though I didn't look over them too thoroughly last night--I was just buying a temporary DBS to scoot back to my Asp's location to consolidate all my stored ships at Ix.

oh tyvm sir!

Also, man, I love Frontier sometimes!

So cool.

oh that's dope.

I have a question:

I am currently on my way to Sag A*, any tips on arriving there without dying? I'm a bit worried about getting pulled out too close to it. Just when I had thought this game couldn't surprise me I arrived at an M class star that had a class Y dwarf orbiting at the arrival point, nearly killed me. Now I'm all nerves jumping in.

I've gotten extremely lucky and haven't had this happen yet, though I know it's only a matter of time.

I've read that some people will switch to the realistic view on the galaxy map and select the next destination in the route. It should show a simplified graphic of the closest stars in a multi-star system. They say if their approach vector is close to one of those on the galaxy map, they'll jump elsewhere first to approach it from a different angle.

I have no idea if this method has any basis in reality, though. I've noted my approach vector as shown on the galaxy map, only to jump in and appear on the opposite side of the star. I really think it all boils down to dumb luck.

aliengmr

I've gotten extremely lucky and haven't had this happen yet, though I know it's only a matter of time.

I've read that some people will switch to the realistic view on the galaxy map and select the next destination in the route. It should show a simplified graphic of the closest stars in a multi-star system. They say if their approach vector is close to one of those on the galaxy map, they'll jump elsewhere first to approach it from a different angle.

I have no idea if this method has any basis in reality, though. I've noted my approach vector as shown on the galaxy map, only to jump in and appear on the opposite side of the star. I really think it all boils down to dumb luck.

It was damn close. Would have been impossible to fly between the two. My dumb luck to arrive at that moment I guess.

Tendo

So I haven't played in a year and upgraded to windows 10. I have a saitek x55 - what is the best driver solution right now?

Hylian7

So I haven't played in a year and upgraded to windows 10. I have a saitek x55 - what is the best driver solution right now?

http://madcatz.kayako.com/Knowledge...aitek-hotas-beta-drivers-and-software-release

There you go, I use the beta drivers on my X52 and have had little to no problem with it. On the old drivers just unplugging it would cause major problems.

There's a change in 1.4 that is really bugging me. What I always did when taking off from a station was holding the lateral thrust up, and as soon as it released my ship I would just go up. Now it doesn't register if you hold it before it says "Ship released"

My new Gunship and Assault Ship are the apples of my eyes.

Gunship - With my loadout of 4x C2 Rails, 2x C1 beam turrets and 1x C3 gimbaled beam, I'm not sure if there are many PvP battles this ship is capable of losing. It's alpha damage output is almost unreasonable and the beams allow for sustained damage for low energy cost and a solution for small ships you don't feel like wasting rails on. No shield banks; she's designed to hull tank with Military armor and a total of 1700+ armor. How good it is at that will be determined when I get in my next PvP fight.

Assault Ship - Better Vulture? For me it is. I'm currently rocking an offensive configuration of 2x C3 fixed beams and 2x C2 PA's. I wasn't sure if the top mount would be too high to combine the top and bottom C3 points into a fixed solution, but they're just fine...and the configuration is actually more natural to me than having fixed points side by side since you usually engage a target in when they are pointing north/south. Fixed laser firing has never been easier. You can sustain dual beams for about 12 seconds which is enough to burn off shields and do quite a bit of hull damage in just one long burst (without ever having heat issues). PA's + Beams is an awful lot of alpha damage. Armor on this one is sitting at around 1300 + military grade armor. I currently have a shield bank on board but I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

Only issue I have with both is one I have with most of the ships in my fleet: small fuel tanks and poor heat management when fuel scooping. Going any distance beyond 100LY means changing temporarily swapping out one of the hull packages for a better fuel scoop. Better to do that then spend 4x the amount of time trying to get where you want to go.

Otherwise, I have nothing but good things to say about the ships. In a fight, I'd put my money on a Gunship over a Python with 12 shield banks because a 4x rail build is going to down those shields before a bank pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom