• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faith

I updated Elite Dangerous today after not playing for around 7-8 months. I have 70.000.000CR and a Viper.

So what could I do? Anything new?

There has to be a rhyme and reason as to where Earth-likes form, yeah? Star age/temp etc. Has anyone pinned down what the optimal conditions are in the generated galaxy? So far I've only found them in K or M class stars, which make sense. K5 VAB and M5 VA...anyone know what the secondary letters are?

M stars being the coolest, it's actually rarer to find earth-likes around those than it is to find them around Fs, Gs, and Ks. The vast majority of mine have been found around F stars.

A, F, G, K, M = best candidates ordered hottest to coldest. The number immediately following denotes temperature as well, with 0 being hottest and 9 being coolest. As you move through the spectrum, you want to keep the temperature somewhere around the middle for your best odds. Therefore you want high-numbered A stars and low-numbered M stars, and something around F6s, G4s, and K2s, +/-2 on the numbers.

Main-sequence stars will be around the right age, so V, VA, or VB for the last designation. You can find them around VIs and IVs, though not as often. Sol is a G2 V, for example.

Excellent. Been wanting to check this out, but didnt think my specs would be able to handle the game. Never played a space sim before
Highly recommended. It's the game that has ripped me away from the indie threads. Can't stop exploring the galaxy, man.

Well not officially yet but Apam Napat will be the home of the Neogaf in game faction when the server update goes live.

interesting.

I updated Elite Dangerous today after not playing for around 7-8 months. I have 70.000.000CR and a Viper.

So what could I do? Anything new?

how do you have 70 million credits and just a Viper?

as for new stuff, yea there's quite a bit of new stuff. load up the game and have a look.

Spades

japbcvpavbzau9dbuaxf.jpg

Just started playing on Xbox One.

DrBo42

M stars being the coolest, it's actually rarer to find earth-likes around those than it is to find them around Fs, Gs, and Ks. The vast majority of mine have been found around F stars.

A, F, G, K, M = best candidates ordered hottest to coldest. The number immediately following denotes temperature as well, with 0 being hottest and 9 being coolest. As you move through the spectrum, you want to keep the temperature somewhere around the middle for your best odds. Therefore you want high-numbered A stars and low-numbered M stars, and something around F6s, G4s, and K2s, +/-2 on the numbers.

Main-sequence stars will be around the right age, so V, VA, or VB for the last designation. You can find them around VIs and IVs, though not as often. Sol is a G2 V, for example.

Thanks, super helpful.

Hylian7

If you bought the LP do you get beta access? IF so where?
On the game's launcher where you see the options for the tutorial thing or the main game, the beta will show up there. There is no beta at the moment, but when there is one it will be there.

I bought the LP and had access to the 1.4 beta.

Sarcasm

On the game's launcher where you see the options for the tutorial thing or the main game, the beta will show up there. There is no beta at the moment, but when there is one it will be there.

I bought the LP and had access to the 1.4 beta.

This work on steam? You know I know nothing about the new stuff I just buy rare goods and sell them to calm me down before I go to bed.

I really need to see what else the game offers lol.

I sold everything a while ago. I want so start "fresh".

interesting. well if you want to start really "fresh", just reset your account in game and go from a Sidewinder. As for the money, $70 mill will get you plenty. Just depends on what you want you want to do. For that money:

Combat Options
- Almost maxed Fer de Lance
- Fully kitted Vulture (pound for pound best combat ship in the game)
- Fully kitted Diamondback Scout
- Fully kitted Imperial Courier (requires Empire Rank)
- Well-equipped Federal Assault Ship (requires Federation rank)
- Poorly equipped Federal Gunship (requires high Federation rank)

All-Purpose Options (can do combat + trading + anything else in a pinch)
- Poorly equipped Python
- Well-equipped Imperial Clipper (Requires high Empire rank)
- Fully kitted Asp

Trading Options
- Fully kitted T7

Exploration Options
- Fully kitted Asp
- Fully kitted Diamondback Explorer

Review your options in detail at http://coriolis.io/

Hylian7

This work on steam? You know I know nothing about the new stuff I just buy rare goods and sell them to calm me down before I go to bed.

I really need to see what else the game offers lol.
You don't get the launcher when you launch the game?

I originally bought the game directly from FD's store, but got a Steam key and used it when they became available, so I launch through Steam now and still see the launcher.

AJLma

interesting. well if you want to start really "fresh", just reset your account in game and go from a Sidewinder. As for the money, $70 mill will get you plenty. Just depends on what you want you want to do. For that money:

Combat Options

- Poorly equipped Python
- Fully kitted Asp

Trading Options
- Fully kitted T7

Exploration Options
- Fully kitted Asp

Did they ever tweak the Imperial Courier to make it a decent combat option? I remember a lot of complaints about it when it first released.

Hylian7

Combat Options

- Poorly equipped Python
- Fully kitted Asp

Trading Options
- Fully kitted T7

Exploration Options
- Fully kitted Asp

As far as the combat ships go, I recommend Fixed weapons on the Vulture, and gimballed on the FDL. Of course if you're getting something like a Plasma Accelerator that has to be fixed on the Huge Hardpoint, that's fine, but for the Mediums, gimballed is more than enough.

I used to fly a Vulture mainly, and now fly an FDL (didn't sell the Vulture though). I have four Pulse Lasers (gimballed) and the huge Plasma Accelerator. I usually don't need to pull out the PA for anything smaller than an Asp except for a Vulture.

DrBo42

Did they ever tweak the Imperial Courier to make it a decent combat option? I remember a lot of complaints about it when it first released.

Nope. Unless they actually balance the game to make fast low-profile ships hard to hit, they'll never be worth it.

Hylian7

Nope. Unless they actually balance the game to make fast low-profile ships hard to hit, they'll never be worth it.

I'd say it is pretty balanced in that regard. You can easily get in Anaconda blind spots with a lot of small ships. Those things may be a flying fortress but they still have blind spots. Plus if your shield is good enough and you have some Shield Cells, you can always go 4 pips to Systems and ram. Works surprisingly well if you're coming at AI with this fast enough.

Also Chaff Launchers are great for small ships, generally throwing off gimballed/turreted weapons makes hitting you a total crapshoot. Then they're down to fixed stuff like Plasma Accelerators, and hitting a small ship with that is pretty difficult unless they are right on top of you and you aren't going very fast.

DrBo42

I'd say it is pretty balanced in that regard. You can easily get in Anaconda blind spots with a lot of small ships. Those things may be a flying fortress but they still have blind spots. Plus if your shield is good enough and you have some Shield Cells, you can always go 4 pips to Systems and ram. Works surprisingly well if you're coming at AI with this fast enough.

Also Chaff Launchers are great for small ships, generally throwing off gimballed/turreted weapons makes hitting you a total crapshoot. Then they're down to fixed stuff like Plasma Accelerators, and hitting a small ship with that is pretty difficult unless they are right on top of you and you aren't going very fast.

Well with 1.4 I've had ships fire nearly backwards so blindspots don't really work as well as they should. That and taking down something that is actively using shield cells with a handful of medium hardpoints just isn't going to cut it.

I'm not familiar with any complaints. It is by FAR my favorite small ship. When credits are not a motivating factor, my favorite pasttime in this game is to go to a High-Intensity Conflict Zone, turn on some epic music and go to work in my Courier. With a Fixed beam and 2 multicannons, I can make about a million credits in a stay in that ship while feeling like I worked hard to earn each credit. It handles like a dream and has...I think the 2nd or 3rd strongest shields of any ship in the game.

Now with the armor change, I'm tempted to put some Mirrored armor on it...but people say it would change its flight characteristics too much. IDK. But yea, wonderful ship. But not if your goal is to make money efficiently.

Faith

Combat Options

- Poorly equipped Python
- Fully kitted Asp

Trading Options
- Fully kitted T7

Exploration Options
- Fully kitted Asp

Dude you're awesome, thanks for the list.

I think I'm going to get the Vulture.

Dude you're awesome, thanks for the list.

I think I'm going to get the Vulture.

A wise choice, my child. Only drawback is an extremely short travel range. If you have to go further than 100LY, you'll want to punch small woodland creatures. Might I take the opportunity to recommend a build?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/2...0000n4a5e2of169.Iw19kA==.AwjMJBGSCY54MAswlA==

Fixed or gimbaled, based on your preference. You'll be impressed immediately with its ability to murder large ships in RES sites and CZs.

Faith

A wise choice, my child. Only drawback is an extremely short travel range. If you have to go further than 100LY, you'll want to punch small woodland creatures. Might I take the opportunity to recommend a build?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/2...0000n4a5e2of169.Iw19kA==.AwjMJBGSCY54MAswlA==

Fixed or gimbaled, based on your preference. You'll be impressed immediately with its ability to murder large ships in RES sites and CZs.
I always had the most fun with combat ships, but the money earning wasn't worth it back then. I made millions with trading in a Type9.

And now I'm realizing that I actually had more than 100M CR. Like I said, I sold everything (the modules separately to get more). Is it possible that Frontier reduced the value of my Python I once had? I got only around 60M for the ship and I could swear I invested way more.

I always had the most fun with combat ships, but the money earning wasn't worth it back then. I made millions with trading in a Type9.

And now I'm realizing that I actually had more than 100M CR. Like I said, I sold everything (the modules separately to get more). Is it possible that Frontier reduced the value of my Python I once had? I got only around 60M for the ship and I could swear I invested way more.

No, that shouldn't have happened. Sometimes the prices on ships change (like the FdL), but I don't imagine they would have dropped the value of the ship you bought. That is curious.

Hylian7

Anyone use the X52? How are you liking it (In Elite)? I really want to buy one.

I use one and love it. The only complaint I had about it was one that was fixable with a screwdriver and a guide on the internet.

The throttle has this kind of "hump" toward 100 and toward 0, that it resists a little bit to go over those "humps". This is called detents. You can remove this by unscrewing the throttle and taking out this little piece of plastic with springs on it. You can put this back in easily if you want to, and won't void your warranty either unless you somehow really screw something up, but you would have to TRY to do that.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=115981

This guide is on the X52 Pro, but it's pretty much the same as the X52, but there is a link in that post to pictures of the X52 specifically.

Wreav

Banned
Always been curious about the detents, and if they're adjustable. For ED, it would be super nice to move it to match the blue zone of the throttle.

Hylian7

Always been curious about the dentents, and if they're adjustable. For ED, it would be super nice to move it to match the blue zone of the throttle.

I don't know if it's adjustable, but I'd rather just remove it anyway and just have the throttle be smooth. The visual indicator of the blue zone is enough for me.

Finally getting back into this after a several month break. The Power Play thing has me a little confused. I ended up joining a faction but I joined in an enemy territory so everyone hated me for a long stretch of space. After what seemed like 200 jumps I finally made it to friendly territory. But I don't really know what I should be doing... so I'm just doing my normal bounty hunting stuff like I was before Power Play.

Doing pretty well so far. I managed to kill another player with a 500,000 bounty (with help from security forces...). With that I've got 2 mil in the bank and I'm flying around in a tricked out Viper. I could probably make more money trading but eh.

Anyway, for Power Play I see I can pick up cargo and drop it off at other locations. Is there anything cooler I can do like fighting people to gain ranks? I joined up with A Lavigny-Duval if that makes a difference.

Finally getting back into this after a several month break. The Power Play thing has me a little confused. I ended up joining a faction but I joined in an enemy territory so everyone hated me for a long stretch of space. After what seemed like 200 jumps I finally made it to friendly territory. But I don't really know what I should be doing... so I'm just doing my normal bounty hunting stuff like I was before Power Play.

Doing pretty well so far. I managed to kill another player with a 500,000 bounty (with help from security forces...). With that I've got 2 mil in the bank and I'm flying around in a tricked out Viper. I could probably make more money trading but eh.

Anyway, for Power Play I see I can pick up cargo and drop it off at other locations. Is there anything cooler I can do like fighting people to gain ranks? I joined up with A Lavigny-Duval if that makes a difference.

1.) You can go to enemy systems and murder their courier ships (interdictions). Really, any ship that's flying around that is aligned to any non-Empire power is a target.

2.) ADL's expansion ethos is by combat, so that's an option when she has expansion options available (varies from week to week).

3.) You can go into areas where Hudson is attempting to expand and fight with the rebels in Conflict Zones against Hudson's forces.

1.) You can go to enemy systems and murder their courier ships (interdictions). Really, any ship that's flying around that is aligned to any non-Empire power is a target.

2.) ADL's expansion ethos is by combat, so that's an option when she has expansion options available (varies from week to week).

3.) You can go into areas where Hudson is attempting to expand and fight with the rebels in Conflict Zones against Hudson's forces.

Thanks for the tips! So it sounds like I'll have better luck moving outside of friendly territory and just start killing fools. I've been cautious about getting bounties on me, but if it's in enemy territory who cares? I already pissed off the Federation on my journey to ALD controlled space anyway. I'll keep an eye on the expansion tab as well, seems like nothing is available now.

I've seen some ships aligned to other factions flying around in ALD space (marked as enemy). Killing these ships would help my ranking right?

Hylian7

Has FD ever said anything on why they haven't added any kind of "restore shield" service at stations yet? It amazes me they haven't added anything like that, as it's just a tedious wait at a station for your shield to recharge if you want to go back into combat. You can't even pop Shield Cell Banks while docked, why won't they let us even do that?

Thanks for the tips! So it sounds like I'll have better luck moving outside of friendly territory and just start killing fools. I've been cautious about getting bounties on me, but if it's in enemy territory who cares? I already pissed off the Federation on my journey to ALD controlled space anyway. I'll keep an eye on the expansion tab as well, seems like nothing is available now.

I've seen some ships aligned to other factions flying around in ALD space (marked as enemy). Killing these ships would help my ranking right?

Killing enemies are fine in any system, yes. As for killing in enemy territory, just go to where they're trying to expand and kill any ships aligned to them. For example, you could go to a Hudson expansion and kill any ships marked:

- Federal Agent
- Alliance Enforcer
- Federal Diplomat

etc. Anything that isn't an Empire-aligned ship (Aisling Guardians, Petraeus Sentinels, ADL Justice something-or-others) is a target that will give you merits.

DrBo42

I'm on my way back home, currently around 6,000ly out and I'm finding Salvageable Wreckage. It's really bizarre. They tend to be that of explorers though, with canisters of survey data.

komplanen

Newbie question:

Should I worry about reputation and such things? There's some early missions where some NPC pirate is like "Yo I found you! Look man, do us a favour and blah blah..." and at least the quest text suggests I'm about to fuck some cartel over.

GeoGonzo

Newbie question:

Should I worry about reputation and such things? There's some early missions where some NPC pirate is like "Yo I found you! Look man, do us a favour and blah blah..." and at least the quest text suggests I'm about to fuck some cartel over.
Almost always irrelevant: There are hundreds of other stars you can hang around if you aren't welcome somewhere. Do whatever you feel is right (or whatever earns you more coin).

Newbie question:

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a pirate, rep doesn't matter at all. If you want to buy certain ships (Federal Dropship, Federal Assault Ship, Federal Gunship, Federal Corvette, Imperial Courier, Imperial Clipper, Imperial Cutter), reputation matters because you have to build up reputation (which becomes military rank over time) that will give you access to buy those ships. Reputation is established by doing missions for minor factions aligned to said major power and by making sure you don't do anything that would drop your rank with those factions along the way.

So you'll want to sort of take the long view here. Look at where you want to be in the game in 3 months. What you want to fly, how you like to make your money (trading, combat, mining) and start putting yourself in position to do those things to realize those goals over time.

You may wan to Google more resources on the matter for greater detail. Or you can add me in the game and we can discuss the matter there over comms in more granular detail.

komplanen

Thanks guys. Just wanted to be sure I don't end up getting banned from doing something important because I chose a wrong side early on.

Right now all I care is making a few bucks off of transporting crap around lol. Is there a better way to figure out where to get missions than to fly around from station to station checking out what's on offer? Like can I see available missions on the map or something?

DrBo42

Well, back in port after a 12,500 ly exploration journey and 4 Earth-like's later. Around 20 mil in data. Can't say I'll ever want to do that again unless they completely revamp exploration. Not even landings will be enough.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to be sure I don't end up getting banned from doing something important because I chose a wrong side early on.

Right now all I care is making a few bucks off of transporting crap around lol. Is there a better way to figure out where to get missions than to fly around from station to station checking out what's on offer? Like can I see available missions on the map or something?

If you want to stick with missions, which makes sense out of the gates, you are doing it the way it's meant to be done. If you want to dig deeper, you can start looking into trading or bounty hunting but while you are in a sidewinder missions are as good a method of making money as anything.

komplanen

If you want to stick with missions, which makes sense out of the gates, you are doing it the way it's meant to be done. If you want to dig deeper, you can start looking into trading or bounty hunting but while you are in a sidewinder missions are as good a method of making money as anything.

I learned about exploration today and that got me interested as well. Once I get a little money from these simple quests I might get exploring a bit and getting my credits from that.

I learned about exploration today and that got me interested as well. Once I get a little money from these simple quests I might get exploring a bit and getting my credits from that.

Exploration is probably better in a Hauler than that sidewinder if you really want to give that a try. After that it would be the Cobra, which is actually the ship I would suggest most newcomers work towards because it is a game changer. It is the first really good multipurpose ship that will open up the game for you and give you the ability to try different thing.

Edit:
Also, I'm always willing to wing up with a new player to help out if that would interest you. That's if you are on PC that is. CMDR Felix Lighter

komplanen

Exploration is probably better in a Hauler than that sidewinder if you really want to give that a try. After that it would be the Cobra, which is actually the ship I would suggest most newcomers work towards because it is a game changer. It is the first really good multipurpose ship that will open up the game for you and give you the ability to try different thing.

Edit:
Also, I'm always willing to wing up with a new player to help out if that would interest you. That's if you are on PC that is. CMDR Felix Lighter

Thanks I'll keep this in mind. I'll see how far I get before contacting anyone in game for help. Right now I keep trying new stuff every day :-D I'm loving this game so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom