• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

Well...FD have identified a possible error in their server that handles exploration data. If you're out exploring at the moment they suggest you stop until they confirm.

Current projections are everything from October 2nd to 1.4 launch has been lost. For me, that's all my earth-like discoveries. That and all day to day exploration post-launch is being lost.

A week of exploration data lost... If that actually happens, I have no words.

4i7dJhs.gif

Newsletter is out! Some good stuff:

Definitely tuning into this:

How to Make a Real World - Livestream
ecf10b7d-507f-47fc-a671-30bd119a1f76.png

Tune in on Wednesday October 14, 7PM BST to see our 'How to Make a Real World' Livestream
The planets in Elite Dangerous: Horizons feel immersive, tactile and real, and making them is a complex, fascinating and important part of development. We'd love to give you a sneak peek behind the scenes at how we create these planets, so we’re hosting a livestream next week with a couple of our lead artists (keep an eye on our social media channels for where the stream will be hosted).

On Wednesday October 14, at 7PM BST, we'll show you some early development footage of the icy and rocky worlds in motion. This peek behind the scenes will demonstrate the simulation technology that we've been working on to create the captivating “Europa lines” for the ice worlds and canyons, and the craters and mountains for the rocky worlds.

Simulation has always been important within the Elite Dangerous galaxy, and our conversation with the artists will highlight the accuracy, depth and technical prowess that go into creating the impressive features that make up our worlds.

We'll talk through the base-scientific principle that the simulation has been built on in order to shape these beautiful, real worlds. Viewers will also have the chance to ask questions about the atmosphere-less bodies they'll be landing on when Elite Dangerous: Horizons launches later this year.

aliengmr

heads up guys, dont submit your exploration data.

important announcement

We are currently investigating an issue relating to Exploration Data. If you could pass this on to group members and direct them to the thread that would be great. More information will be added to the first post on the thread.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189800

Wait does this mean that data that has not been turned in has been lost due to a recent update? Or is the data still there and this is a very recent thing?

Because...fuck:(

DrBo42

Like my post said their early thought is that everything from Oct 2nd to now is gone.

Which is thousands of LY for me personally, and all my earth-like finds. Pretty awesome.

I'm already the most negative person here regarding Elite, I really didn't need this new wrinkle of bullshit. Haha.

Reckheim

Like my post said their early thought is that everything from Oct 2nd to now is gone.

Which is thousands of LY for me personally, and all my earth-like finds. Pretty awesome.

I'm already the most negative person here regarding Elite, I really didn't need this new wrinkle of bullshit. Haha.

I'm not exactly super happy about it either. Guess i'll try out CQC this weekend.

Reckheim

NEW UPDATE ON THE EXPLORATION STUFF

“Thank you all for your patience during today. As many of you have suggested the issue is still under investigation this weekend.

There has been a small change added which means that when a scan has failed, the user is notified. However, this is not 100% guaranteed and we would still strongly advise that if you are able to, to avoid exploring and scanning until the issues has been resolved.

The development team are going to be working through the weekend to try and resolve this issue.

Keep an eye on the first post of this thread for further updates.

We understand the frustration this will cause and we'd like to thank you all for your patience while we continue to resolve the issue.”

Maybe its not as serious as lost data.

Just got my Thrustmaster in the mail! Super excited to play it!

Does anyone have some useful tips regarding binding and playing with one? This is my first time on a flight stick in a very long time.

I'm loving all the sexual innuendos I've been throwing at my wife since I got it. That has made it worth it alone! haha

Hylian7

That Horizons stuff looks so good.

I brought this up in the separate thread for it, but I am wondering what class compartment and power requirements (if any) will be required for an SRV on your ship. I have an FDL, but it is filled to the brim with modules for bounty hunting. I have the best power plant for it, but with everything I have I have to have stuff on lower priority so it gets disabled as soon as hardpoints are deployed. On top of that, when bounty hunting, I have to turn off my Plasma Accelerator manually so my Kill Warrant Scanner on priority 2 is enabled, then turn the PA back on when I finish scanning. I suppose I could fit it in the last internal compartment I have left, which has a Hull Reinforcement Package right now, as long as SRV's classes aren't very high.

Also, any tips on gitting gud at a Plasma Accelerator? I can hit big ships with it, but I still have to be fairly close (usually 1km or less). Small ships are a total crapshoot unless I am right in their face. When I am preparing to engage a target, I usually get in their face before I fire so I get a free PA hit on them. It does significant shield damage to most ships.

Seeing AI use Shield Cell Banks now is great. I saw an AI FDL in a Hazardous RES the other day.

Tendo

http://madcatz.kayako.com/Knowledge...aitek-hotas-beta-drivers-and-software-release

There you go, I use the beta drivers on my X52 and have had little to no problem with it. On the old drivers just unplugging it would cause major problems.

There's a change in 1.4 that is really bugging me. What I always did when taking off from a station was holding the lateral thrust up, and as soon as it released my ship I would just go up. Now it doesn't register if you hold it before it says "Ship released"

Thanks! Just installed these and workin perfectly!

Reckheim

New update for the exploration folks,

We have identified and deployed a fix for body scans not being stored after completing scans of the system. This appears to have been a bug from changing the servers for storing the exploration data. Exploration data is by far our biggest data set and is currently sitting at around 67 million lines, so needed to be upgraded to maintain a reasonable level of performance.

We will now investigate restoring the scans that we can from the past few days (since the start of the upgrade alongside the 1.4 release). If the data has been sold then we won't be able to recover it for the galaxy map, but any 'first discovered by' bodies won't be affected. You can rescan the system to add it back to your galaxy map.

Once we have a process it is likely to take some time to run, but in the meantime you can continue your journeys and the scans should be properly recorded.

Thanks for your patience on this!

komplanen

Don't worry, it'll get easier as time goes on. I'd offer some advice, but I haven't been in civilized space for a looonnnnggggg time:p

I'll keep watching YouTube videos as I go along. I think I got traveling with the Friendship Drive down for today. I have no clue where the weed went because it's not in my cargo hold. I got fined for it so maybe it was removed magically or perhaps I never manually added it to my cargo hold if that's a thing.

All I really care about is I wanted a game to play when I eventually get a VR headset and I figured I might want to learn the ropes before that.

aliengmr

I'll keep watching YouTube videos as I go along. I think I got traveling with the Friendship Drive down for today. I have no clue where the weed went because it's not in my cargo hold. I got fined for it so maybe it was removed magically or perhaps I never manually added it to my cargo hold if that's a thing.

All I really care about is I wanted a game to play when I eventually get a VR headset and I figured I might want to learn the ropes before that.

Did you accept a job at a station or something? I mean you would know if you picked it up in space.

Couple Dos and Don'ts

Don't "loot" ships (even if they are pirates/criminals) its illegal to do that.

Do be careful of White Dwarfs. Turn immediately after arrival. Neutron Stars pull you out almost instantly if flying directly to them and not their child star.

Do get a fuel scoop and go see VY Canis.

Don't fire until the scan is complete.

Do get a Viper. Don't
listen to those Cobra wienies:p

lol at "Friendship Drive charging"

Hylian7

Did you accept a job at a station or something? I mean you would know if you picked it up in space.

Couple Dos and Don'ts

Don't "loot" ships (even if they are pirates/criminals) its illegal to do that.

Do be careful of White Dwarfs. Turn immediately after arrival. Neutron Stars pull you out almost instantly if flying directly to them and not their child star.

Do get a fuel scoop and go see VY Canis.

Don't fire until the scan is complete.

Do get a Viper. Don't
listen to those Cobra wienies:p

lol at "Friendship Drive charging"
Do bring a Shield Cell Bank to any kind of assassination/kill mission or any bounty hunting. Those things can keep your shields up even vs Elite Anacondas, and will let you bounty hunt for longer.

Speaking of SCBs, I used to have a 4A Hull Reinforcement Package with a 2A SCB on my Fer-De-Lance. I realized wasting a class 4 slot on a HRP on an FDL, which is not the greatest ship at taking hull damage. I swapped out the 2A SCB for a 2A HRP, and 4A HRP for a 4A SCB. I haven't tested significantly, but it looks like I easily get 50% of my total shields, counting two A Shield Boosters.

The downside is power. I'vev worked out to where if I need to pop a Shield Cell, I have to disable my Plasma Accelerator first. Not a bad trade off, as I have to be on the defensive when popping a shield cell, and am unlikely to be taking PA shots then. I still have Pulse lasers anyway if I need something. I have yet to try it, if the SC starts restoring the shield (making that noise that gets higher pitched add your shields go up), is it safe to disable my SCB? Or can I do it right after I activate the SCB?

I really hope Class 2 SRVs (if they even exist) aren't useless, otherwise I'm going to have a bad time re-outfitting to fit one.

Tendo

When I was playing last year there was a website that could help determine the most efficient trade routes - anything like that still around?

DrBo42

Well they've fixed the exploration bug so new scans are fine. They're currently trying to recover the lost data. Luckily I've been logging the systems I found Earth-like's in so I can visit them when we can reach the surface. Now the journey to re-scan them... Not fun.

Quick question: I tried out the combat demo/tutorials on PC and was surprised to see I could play the game on High settings. I should be able to play the full game on High then too, right?

DrBo42

There has to be a rhyme and reason as to where Earth-likes form, yeah? Star age/temp etc. Has anyone pinned down what the optimal conditions are in the generated galaxy? So far I've only found them in K or M class stars, which make sense. K5 VAB and M5 VA...anyone know what the secondary letters are?

I may not have played enough to be completely sure yet but making my trips to get my ships to the Gaf system, I did not get any supercruise stuttering. I will be so happy if it has been fixed for me finally.

Effect

Well not officially yet but Apam Napat will be the home of the Neogaf in game faction when the server update goes live.

An Empire based system. I have positive Federation rep right now but my Empire is still neutral. Currently in Winters controlled space and and pretty much base myself within her area of control. It's near Sol and when Horizons launches I want the first object I land on to be Earth's moon. So might make the trip sometime after that to see Apam Napat.

Speaking of multiple ships I really hope they make it possible to someone move them without having to go back and move each one. I'd even take having my character travel as a passenger on an npc ship but in turn I can't play for a number of real world hours just to make it fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom