• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burny

Was this talk about the Elite Dangerous servers/backend already shared?

Also: this evening there'll be the "How to Make a Real World" livestream. Apparently on youtube.

ecf10b7d-507f-47fc-a6ibur1.png

Stoked!

Is it just me or has the AI completely lost their ability to navigate in a ring? I'm seeing ships I'm fighting colliding into rocks a lot more and in situations where they had plenty of time to course correct.

Wreav

Banned
Is it just me or has the AI completely lost their ability to navigate in a ring? I'm seeing ships I'm fighting colliding into rocks a lot more and in situations where they had plenty of time to course correct.
Seen this brought up a bit on Reddit. Not sure why it's suddenly so broken.

Burny

Does it count as new news? It's definitely a bit of planet pr0n. ;)

If they ever get around to do inhabited planets in the next years... One could spend years just exploring a single such planet on foot.

Hylian7

They didn't change anything about being wanted in 1.4, did they?

I made the dumb mistake of killing an innocent anaconda in a Hazardous RES, got wanted with a bounty on me for 5 days. I tried to sneak into the station in the same system, had Silent Running on, and even though I got docking permission, as soon as I flew into the station, I got a tresspass warning and the station said it won't let criminals dock. What the fuck, why did that happen?

Oh god, I can't wait for the invasion: Months Later, Elite: Dangerous Players Make Major Discovery About Mysterious Alien Artefacts

After trying almost literally Everything Else, a player going by the name of Mike Juliett Kilo decided to feed a pre-recorded unknown artefact signal into an antique scanner item he had in his cargo. It spat out a vector image—specifically, one of the very ship he was flying.

1472546209256708238.jpg

“I was prepared to see an alien face or Thargoid warship,” he said to the official Elite community site. “I certainly didn’t expect to see a Vulture, especially as I was flying one at the time! It sent shivers down my spine.”

This means, presumably, that these aliens—absent from Elite: Dangerous aside from unintelligible artefacts—are collecting information on players. When PCGamesN asked developer Frontier why, they only replied that the “[unknown artefact] mystery is just beginning.”

Vulture handles like a dream, only the Eagle is as agile. It shares the same power struggles of the Viper but you can work that out. It's only real shortcoming is raw straight line speed. The Viper beats it there.

Jedi2016

Mine's got gimballed pulse lasers, Class A on everything else. You'll need the power and the distributor, and I've got big shields to take a licking from the Pythons and Anacondas that I eat for breakfast. I'm debating getting something bigger like a FDL or gunship, but I may just keep the Vulture and just end up with another ship. That would make five.. lol.

I had a fun build that had a fixed beam and a plasma accelerator. I could only have one weapon powered at a time so to use the plasma accelerator I had to turn off the beam. It made for a bit of a juggling act in combat but it was fun. I'm pretty sure the biggest power plant I can put in my Python could power a station. Those power concerns are only memories now.

Oooooh buddy, you're gonna fall in love! On mobile so can't recommend a loadout but you're gonna have fun with that ship.

I already am... Wow, don't think I'll be going back to my viper ever again. May as well sell it.

Off the top of my head I have:

Gimballed pulse lasers
A4 Power Plant
A4 Power Distributor
A3 or 4 Shield Generator
B4 FSD

And that's about all I can remember right now. I really need to go to bed, but the little bit of fighting I did just now was effortless. It turns so much better than the viper it's ridiculous.

I will post my build I have so far tomorrow, but it's sleeping time.

One thing to keep in mind is B rated equipment is generally the heaviest by a significant amount. Most people stick to A (the best) or D (the lightest) for equipment. It's not a big deal just putting it out there.

One thing to keep in mind is B rated equipment is generally the heaviest by a significant amount. Most people stick to A (the best) or D (the lightest) for equipment. It's not a big deal just putting it out there.

I will keep that in mind thanks. I went with B FSD as it gave me more range, and the station didn't have a lot to choose from. I need to find a better outfitter tomorrow.

I already am... Wow, don't think I'll be going back to my viper ever again. May as well sell it.

Off the top of my head I have:

Gimballed pulse lasers
A4 Power Plant
A4 Power Distributor
A3 or 4 Shield Generator
B4 FSD

And that's about all I can remember right now. I really need to go to bed, but the little bit of fighting I did just now was effortless. It turns so much better than the viper it's ridiculous.

I will post my build I have so far tomorrow, but it's sleeping time.
Go A everything with pulse lasers and set up your power stuff. something like this

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/0...0000n4a5d2of169.Iw19kA==.CwBhGYEYxTIJngk9TiA=

is really an ideal Vulture setup. If you can't power A thrusters, always go D. Because they're lighter the difference in maneuverability is only about 8% and about 15-20 off the top speed and top boost speed.

Alternately, you can do something like this and keep A thrusters:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/0...0000n4a5d2of169.Iw19kA==.CwBhGYEYxTIJngipxA==

but it will require you to retract your hard points so you can use them. Your call on that; go with whatever feels the most comfortable. in that setup, you'll have to turn something off in order to use the interdictor and fuel scoop, fyi. but it will work. just disable the lasers in supercruise or something.

I will keep that in mind thanks. I went with B FSD as it gave me more range, and the station didn't have a lot to choose from. I need to find a better outfitter tomorrow.

Always outfit in Li Yong-Rui space. 15% off everything. Check Lembava for outfitting.

Go A everything with pulse lasers and set up your power stuff. something like this

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/0...0000n4a5d2of169.Iw19kA==.CwBhGYEYxTIJngk9TiA=

is really an ideal Vulture setup. If you can't power A thrusters, always go D. Because they're lighter the difference in maneuverability is only about 8% and about 15-20 off the top speed and top boost speed.

Alternately, you can do something like this and keep A thrusters:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/0...0000n4a5d2of169.Iw19kA==.CwBhGYEYxTIJngipxA==

but it will require you to retract your hard points so you can use them.

Always outfit in Li Yong-Rui space. 15% off everything. Check Lembava for outfitting.

Thanks for this. I will take a journey tomorrow I guess. I haven't left the starting area really, still in the same systems near the gidzenko ring station. Just been grinding. I think I have D4 thrusters equipped at the moment.

Thanks for this. I will take a journey tomorrow I guess. I haven't left the starting area really, still in the same systems near the gidzenko ring station. Just been grinding. I think I have D4 thrusters equipped at the moment.

sure. i tweaked that last one a bit.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/0...0000n4a5d2of169.Iw19kA==.CwBjEYxdwJn24DMSRKA=

power hungry ship with shit power plant makes it very difficult to find power. everything that needs power should be powered when hardpoints are retracted on that one. critical systems under 50% in the event that your power plant gets sniped so you can still jump away.

I finally reached Deadly, (on a wing of 3 Adders, ha ha). I feel like I would have been Elite by now if so many huge awesome games wouldn't have come out this year.

red731

Here is yesterday's stream if anyone missed it!
https://youtu.be/-Et5Ivi_yIg

Here's detailed summary from the stream by reddit's Drunk_Slamchest
https://np.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3orv4b/summaryinfodump_for_how_to_make_a_real_world/

and here is DavidB's response to a dude from the reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3orp40/why_is_no_one_flipping_out_about_the_nerdism_holy/
thread.
[–]subr00t John Rutherford 42 points 9 hours ago*

I was crying watching this video. The sheer thought of driving through these things and starting to learn about geography and plate-tectonics by actually seeing them up close is so immensely appealing!
The one thing I found a bit disappointing was that they said there would be no volcanism at 2.0 release. Was looking forward to seeing some awesome lava flows.
By the way, question: does anyone know the science of why they want a small mountain in the middle of the crater?

[–]DavidBraben CEO & Founder 123 points 9 hours ago

Nothing wrong with liking these details... It's something I care about too.
The central peak comes as a natural part of the impact. The rock behaves as a fluid under huge temperatures and pressures during the impact then cools.
If you watch a stone dropped into water in slow motion, you see a central peak shortly after the body enters the water. This becomes 'frozen' in the rock.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Wow, that all sounds simply amazing to me. As an explorer, and as someone who currently finds exploring to be the most fun "profession" in the game, this is going to slay me. I spend so much time as it is just screenshot hunting in game, now I'll be landing on planets that I think are cool and running around in canyons and climbing mountains just looking for great vistas and scenery. It's like Space Engine but with an actual game to play.

Holy Hell, I'm going to be playing this game for years and years.....

I could not be happier that they've seemingly fixed the supercruise stutter. It makes the game feel so much better.

There is one more very noticeable stutter I get in the game and it happens in metallic rich rings. Really jarring, major hitches that occur sporadically, usually multiple times a minute. I've reported the issue with them in their bug forum for the last version and for this version.

New Dev Update is all about SRVs: https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/318

As I’m sure you can imagine work on the Elite Dangerous: Horizons Planetary Landings release is continuing at pace and this week – one of the major new features is the ability to drive the SRV on the surface. We’ve approached adding the SRV in the same way that we did when originally adding the flight controls into the game. They key here is to have the driving as a fun experience in itself as well as with the gameplay elements layered on top of it. As with the ships we have a robust physics system at the core and it’s with the controls we turn that into a fun experience.

The SRV has some cool advantages over normal vehicles you get to drive in game, the most obvious of which are the thrusters. These provide two key features, the first is the ability to boost of the surface allowing for powered jumps to get out of craters or to cross chasms. While in the air you can you can manually adjust the thrusters in the same way as in a ship with Flight Assist turned off. This allows for some amazing acrobatics as well as allowing you to reach locations that would be difficult to reach with normal driving. It’s also useful if you get yourself stuck!

As with the rest of the game the surface of the worlds you can land on is recreated on a 1:1 scale, not only spatially but with gravity as well. Gravity has a big effect on the handling of the SRV and here the thrusters provide their second major function. When testing the SRV in different environments there are edge cases with very low gravity and extremely high gravity where the SRV becomes impossible to handle. The thrusters help compensate for these extremes in handling, but only to a limited degree – it feels very different driving on a tiny moon compared to a massive terrestrial planet.

As already mentioned making the driving fun in itself is an important goal for us. While the thrusters do add to a large extent (there’s something quite magical with boosting out of a crater and into the sunrise!) the actual contact with the vehicle and the surface provides a lot of feedback. Similar to sand buggies, if you try to push the SRV’s performance then you need to work harder to keep it under control. Feedback is very important here – the ships audio and VFX, along with the handling, create the response you need to let you know what’s going on.

The SRV is equipped with a turret optimised for engaging local opponents like skimmers (see last week’s dev update for more information on these) and other SRV’s (if hostile players are in the area). In theory you could take on a ship, but ship mounted weapons are much more powerful than the SRV’s so it’s best not to! You should also beware some of large defensive turrets – these are equipped to tackle low flying ships, but pose a threat to SRV’s as well.

Combat is just one feature of the SRV, it’s capable of carrying a small number of cargo canisters and also has a new device for finding things on the surface – more on that in a couple of weeks time!

Next week the second batch of player group backed minor factions should go live. Thanks to some brilliant feedback from our players, we’ve made progress with fixing some odd behaviour with influence levels – we hope to address this next week.

Exploration data should be operating smoothly now after some issues since the 1.4 release. If you do encounter a further issue then make sure to raise a bug and we’ll investigate.

We are currently working on a client update for PC/Mac and Xbox One, all being well these will be released next week. As well as various fixes we’re adjusting the NPC interdiction so it isn’t quite as punishing as it is at the moment.

tl;dr

-This bodes well: approaching SRVs the same way they did with ships, by making sure that, at it's core, driving is a fun, authentic experience (WOO!)
-Thrusters can help you get airborn to escape canyons and jump gaps; once you're in the air, you can use the other thrusters as you would in FA-Off mode in a ship for some interesting maneuvers
-Gravity affects SRVs, too--there are some planets with extremely low OR high gravity where the thrusters are basically required to maneuver
-Finely tuning the handling/audio/vfx feedback for the buggy so you feel the terrain
-Weapons on SRVs are turrets designed to fight skimmers and other players in SRVs (first confirmation of this, I think?); much less powerful than ship weapons
-Bases can have large turrets designed to fend off ships but they can also attack SRVs
-SRVs can carry cargo cannisters
-SRVs have a device for scanning/finding things on the surface--details on that will come in a few weeks
-Second batch of player factions goes live next week!
-Exploration data should be fine now
-Client update for PC/Mac/X1 coming next week; one fix is for NPC interdiction to make it less punishing

I want my SRV!

Also, interdictions are punishing now? I haven't really had that experience. For me, the initial tug-o'-war seems to last a little longer, but at least 80% of the time the tide eventually turns and the blue bar fills quickly. The other 20% of the time, they rarely catch me to fire upon me before I'm back in supercruise. Unless by "punishing" they mean "occurs more frequently," I can't see anything with interdictions that needs fixing. I like coming back from a long exploration trip or rolling through hostile territory and feeling so desirable, honestly. It's flattering.

mnannola

New Dev Update is all about SRVs: https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/318

tl;dr

-This bodes well: approaching SRVs the same way they did with ships, by making sure that, at it's core, driving is a fun, authentic experience (WOO!)
-Thrusters can help you get airborn to escape canyons and jump gaps; once you're in the air, you can use the other thrusters as you would in FA-Off mode in a ship for some interesting maneuvers
-Gravity affects SRVs, too--there are some planets with extremely low OR high gravity where the thrusters are basically required to maneuver
-Finely tuning the handling/audio/vfx feedback for the buggy so you feel the terrain
-Weapons on SRVs are turrets designed to fight skimmers and other players in SRVs (first confirmation of this, I think?); much less powerful than ship weapons
-Bases can have large turrets designed to fend off ships but they can also attack SRVs
-SRVs can carry cargo cannisters
-SRVs have a device for scanning/finding things on the surface--details on that will come in a few weeks
-Second batch of player factions goes live next week!
-Exploration data should be fine now
-Client update for PC/Mac/X1 coming next week; one fix is for NPC interdiction to make it less punishing

Nice summary.

I am glad that some planets will be very difficult / impossible to navigate with the standard SRV. This will make landing on different planets and outfitting your SRV to best match the environment much more exciting.

It seems like they are setting up SRV's to be able to mine? I hope that is the case, would add a lot to the mining profession.

Also, interdictions are punishing now? I haven't really had that experience. For me, the initial tug-o'-war seems to last a little longer, but at least 80% of the time the tide eventually turns and the blue bar fills quickly. The other 20% of the time, they rarely catch me to fire upon me before I'm back in supercruise. Unless by "punishing" they mean "occurs more frequently," I can't see anything with interdictions that needs fixing. I like coming back from a long exploration trip or rolling through hostile territory and feeling so desirable, honestly. It's flattering.

Yeah, that sentence is a little vague, so I'm hoping we get some clarity when the patch comes out. The main thing that needs fixing with interdictions is just the logic behind some of them. Are Anacondas/Pythons still getting interdicted by shieldless Eagle pirates? :p

No problem, guys. Feeling that Horizons hype.

Speaking of new stuff, new "Answers from Dev" with some good info:

How many of the 30 ships are in the game currently? Any news on what the final ones to be announced are?

Here’s a list of the ships we’ve announced so far, and as an extra treat we’ve added the names of the five ships coming as part of Elite Dangerous 1.5. Remember, these are just the ship names, and we’ll be revealing loads of exciting details about them in the coming weeks.

1 Sidewinder
2 Eagle
3 Hauler
4 Adder
5 Imperial Eagle
6 Viper
7 Cobra MK III
8 Diamondback Scout
9 Lakon Type 6
10 Diamondback Explorer
11 Imperial Courier
12 Vulture
13 Asp Explorer
14 Federal Dropship
15 Lakon Type 7
16 Federal Assault Ship
17 Imperial Clipper
18 Federal Gunship
19 Orca
20 Fer-De-Lance
21 Python
22 Lakon Type 9
23 Anaconda
24 F63 Condor (CQC only)

And to come:

25 Imperial Short Range Fighter (CQC only)
26 Lakon Keelback
27 Viper MK IV
28 Asp Scout
29 Federal Corvette
30 Imperial Cutter
31 Cobra MK IV (for owners of Season 1 and Season 2)

==

What is the minimum spec for Horizons?

We don’t have a final minimum spec just yet because we’re still working on the optimization. We’re hopeful it won’t be significantly different from the current game. However it will require a PC that supports Direct X11 as Horizons uses compute shaders.

==

What are the technical issues with Oculus, is this a move towards exclusivity for VR platforms?

We now support both Oculus Rift (via the 0.5 SDK) and SteamVR/Vive. Because of some changes to the Oculus SDK, we are working closely with Oculus to support a later SDK, but we cannot use 0.7.

==

If I reset my commander data, what happens to my friends list?

Absolutely nothing, your friends list is tied to your account. If you want to reset back to zero and start with a clean slate then more power to you! Good luck Commander.

==

Will there be more decals in the store?

There will be more decals coming to the store and we are looking at new and interesting ways to use them in the future with Elite Dangerous, and I think you’ll be excited when you see what we have planned.

==

When are you going to release paint jobs for the Diamondback Explorer?

Paint jobs for the Diamond Explorer, and many of the other ships in the catalogue, will be coming to the Frontier store soon!

==

Can we get an update on the Mac version of Horizons?

Unfortunately neither Open GL nor Metal on Mac support Compute Shaders and these are vital for Elite Dangerous: Horizons. We have investigated the issue at length and found that all other options currently simply won’t allow us the performance that a game of this size and detail needs. Once Macs are able to support compute shaders, or other technical options are available, we will certainly be keen on supporting that platform.

==

How much cargo will an SRV hold?

The Scarab SRV will be able to hold two units of cargo, however on the planet surface there are other things to do and collect which may not require much storage. More information on that… soon.

==

Do you think that having the ability to have a ship delivered to a station of my choosing would be possible in the future?

This is something on our radar and is something we’re keen to implement in the game as part of a future update, but we have nothing to announce on that at the moment.

==

Are there any plans to improve the navigation system and add functionality to it?

Every aspect of Elite Dangerous will be continually iterated on and improved… The navigation system is no exception.

==

Will landing on planets give you more exploration data?

Landing on planets will eventually net you more exploration data. This isn’t something that will appear at launch in Elite Dangerous: Horizons though but there are new things to discover on the surface and a new way to find them. More on this coming soon!

==

If you are in orbital cruise, can you accidentally crash into the planet by entering too steep?

If you’re flying straight at the ground and you decide not to pull up as you approach the planet surface, you will most certainly crash!

==

What's the plan on making your CQC tournament a cool viewing experience?

We have something very special planned for the CQC tournament that everybody will be able to get involved in. We’re continuing to develop CQC and spectators are certainly something we are keeping in mind. We’ll have the full details soon, but make sure you get practicing your CQC skills right away!

==

Is it going to be a possibility of getting the lifetime pass released again?

It’s not available at the moment, but the lifetime could return to the Frontier Store again at some point in the future.

==

Will skimmers be able to be piloted/controlled by players, or just NPC's?

At the launch of Elite Dangerous: Horizons, the Skimmers will be NPC-controlled assailants – challenging and varied opponents to take on as you explore the planet’s surface. We’re looking in to the possibility of making them pilot able as part of a future update but we can’t promise anything at this time.

Gotta admit, it's kinda weak that they're including CQC-only ships in their total ship count.

Although now I'm curious about the Lakon Keelback. Doesn't seem to be based on an old Elite ship.

DrBo42

Chat with the Devs:

Q: I'm excited about X coming to Elite Dangerous! What can you tell me? Any idea when it's coming?

A: Oh yeah that's great! We can't talk about that.

Burny

Chat with the Devs:

Q: I'm excited about X coming to Elite Dangerous! What can you tell me? Any idea when it's coming?

A: Oh yeah that's great! We can't talk about that.

Synonymous for: we're working on something related to X, but can't/may not/don't want to announce anything now.

I've mostly had the impression that FDev's public statements are pretty easy to read and reliably honest. They just keep things under wraps until they decide they want to announce them. On the other hand, they also are clear when something is not being worked or not guarantueed to be implemented at all. Case in point, they were pretty open at the EGX about multi crew features still being in the concept phase.

Any question related to things they have yet to be announce is a pointless question. They aren't going to announce something concrete in a Q&A post. The only questions that will get a satisfactory answer would be asking for details about an already announced feature.

elyetis

Speaking of new stuff, new "Answers from Dev" with some good info:
Do you think that having the ability to have a ship delivered to a station of my choosing would be possible in the future?

This is something on our radar and is something we’re keen to implement in the game as part of a future update, but we have nothing to announce on that at the moment.
I know that I'm always complaining in like every thread ( dota, star citizen, elite etc.. )... but what the hell Frontier ? it's only on your radar ? do you they even play their own game ? I mean.. damn.
Will landing on planets give you more exploration data?

Landing on planets will eventually net you more exploration data. This isn’t something that will appear at launch in Elite Dangerous: Horizons though but there are new things to discover on the surface and a new way to find them. More on this coming soon!
Wait and see I guess... Horizon annoucement and video/picture made me eager to finaly give a try to an exploration trip where there would be landing involved...
I hope those "new things to discover" don't will compensate what I now guess will be months before "landing on planets net you more exploration data" ( again something so basic I can't comprehend why the wait, but it's almost unsurprising at this point ), to make Horizon actually interesting for exploration too. But if it make you use cargo space, the answer is pretty much no.

My Vulture so far:

2x Pulse lasers E3
Kill warrant scanner
3x Shield boosters C0

Lightweight Alloys I1
Power Plant A4
Thrusters D5
FSD B4
Life Support D3
Power Distributor A4
Sensors C4
Fuel Tank C3
Shield Generator A4
Cargo Rack cap16 E4
3x Hull Reinforcement Package D1

This is all based on what I have been able to buy at the stations I have visited. I'm going to try and find Li Yong-Rui space now, because as I have said, I haven't really left the starter area. I have no idea where to go lol. Hopefully they will have better gear there when I do find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom