• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start heading to Apam Napat, GAF's system :) Pretty sure we have a high-tech station and a few nearby.

Will do, I found it on the galaxy map in the end, but I will head to the gaf system.

Edit: That's quite a way, I just bought a fuel scoop so why not.

Edit 2: Made it, just docking in Majida now.

The Vulture is easy mode, holy shit. Made over 4 million in about 90 minutes. The high intensity resource site at LT 18486 (I think I got that right) is just full of FDL's, Pythons and Anacondas. I just need to find an A5 power distributor and I'm set.

I haven't played in a while and man, am I glad they put in some ways to actually make some money for missions. Being in a multi-million dollar ship seeing nothing but 5,000 credit missions is one of the reasons I stopped playing months ago.

I can only get a few hour here and a few hours there, no way I could grind out the millions like some others have done. Now at least able to make some money.

Patchy

Banned
Man 1.4 has given this game a new lease on life.

All the bugs that caused me to stop playing are gone.

Performs so much better now as well.

One weirs one I am seeing is any FDL I come across at a Res now just sits behind and asteroid and spins slowly as I take them out.

Easy ~200,000 credit kill for me, but it's weird.

Love that ships also try and ram you often now.

Burny

That wasn't meant for people to take to heart. Haha.

He, you're right though, they're using it rather often. ;-)

Which makes me curious about what's to come actually. There's a myriad of things where I believe the game could improve a lot, but I also have the impression that they're developong this into a pretty appealing direction overall.

The Vulture is easy mode, holy shit. Made over 4 million in about 90 minutes. The high intensity resource site at LT 18486 (I think I got that right) is just full of FDL's, Pythons and Anacondas. I just need to find an A5 power distributor and I'm set.
Go to Xi. Or Ix. Can't remember which it is but only one works. They have it.

Also, did one of those Sothis smuggling runs tonight.

$52 million credits in one trip. >___>

Staab

I'm considering taking the plunge when Horizons hits, I just upgraded my CPU to a beefy i7 so it should run nicely.

Couple of questions :
- is KB / M a decent enough controller scheme or is it terrible for this ? I could probably find a gamepad if it's better
- how hard is it to start off ? I haven't played a space game since like Freelancer or something... (been put off by X and EvE before)
- what kind of expansions are we expecting this to get apart from the Horizons ++ features ? What kind of time frame (if known at all) ?
- how good is the multiplayer ? Can you go out and hunt / explore with a friend and still get rewards for both or do you have to share everything ?

Mouse is the most accurate input but most prefer a stick and throttle. invest however much you feel comfortable with, when you feel comfortable doing it.

It's hard to start off. There are like 10 tutorial videos. You'll want to watch all of them. And after that you will die because not everything is covered. You'll want to read the online manual to escape some pitfalls...but you will die. You're also sort of dropped off in the game world and left to figure out what to do and how to do it. You'll be relying on web forums and wiki's to answer a lot of questions you'll have along the way.

We don't know what's coming after Horizons. But we do know stuff is coming, as they've said they have a lot of things in the works. We'll see.

You can go out in a wing of ships piloted by friends and do stuff. Not presently but at some point in the future you'll be able to go out with friends in the same ship and do stuff. But playing in wings with friends is the multiplayer experience right now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl6hdeRHdOk

Well well well...Braben is bringing the goods.

This is another quick-and-dirty unedited video capture from Horizons on a dev machine (the same GTX 770 as before). It was taken on a rocky moon (somewhere between Earth and Mars in size). Adam is driving this SRV, Eddie the other one. A few things still need work – the display to the right (‘mass lock’ etc) is still to be changed, some audio and visual effects are missing, eg buggy texturing and motion-blur on the tyres are not working, and Eddie’s SRV was not showing on the scanner in this build. The point is it is still in development, but it is already great fun to drive.

Sorry about the abrupt cut at the end, but something came into view shortly after this, that we’re not showing yet… ;-)

From a reddit screengrab:

kWLn39V.png

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Wow, horizon will rock my world.

Notice that there's an assist off in the top right corner? I wonder what the vehicule would normally assist?

DrBo42

He, you're right though, they're using it rather often. ;-)

Which makes me curious about what's to come actually. There's a myriad of things where I believe the game could improve a lot, but I also have the impression that they're developong this into a pretty appealing direction overall.

Their vision hasn't been bad from what insight we've had in the DDF etc. Biggest problem has been their priority order IMO. Well maybe some vision as well with Power play (ugh). Although who knows what they really wanted to achieve with that. Could be poor execution or being limited by other game play systems. It's stuff like being unable to get exploration data from the Horizons landings that really make me throw my hands up.

Wow, horizon will rock my world.

Notice that there's an assist off in the top right corner? I wonder what the vehicule would normally assist?

It's rotation relative to the ground most likely. FA off will allow flips etc for trick jumps.

Newsletter is out! Some good stuff in here--this is basically the dev update but with images:

The Surface Recon Vehicle

69caf98dc770cf8b5420ccd539d3129e723dfae6.png

The SRV's thrusters glow, ready to venture across an unknown world

In Elite Dangerous: Horizons many will choose to spend a lot of time in an SRV, so now's the time to get familiar with the vehicle that will help you explore entire worlds. As part of this week's Dev Update, Executive producer Michael Brookes went in to detail about how the SRV will handle.

"We’ve approached adding the SRV in the same way that we did when originally adding the flight controls into the game. They key here is to have the driving as a fun experience in itself as well as with the gameplay elements layered on top of it. As with the ships we have a robust physics system at the core and it’s with the controls we turn that into a fun experience.

The SRV has some cool advantages over normal ground vehicles you may be used to, the most obvious of which are the thrusters. These provide two key features, the first is the ability to boost off the surface allowing for powered jumps to get out of craters or to cross chasms. While in the air you can you can manually adjust the thrusters in the same way as in a ship with Flight Assist turned off. This allows for some amazing acrobatics as well as allowing you to reach locations that would be difficult to reach with normal driving. It’s also useful if you get yourself stuck!

0649f6c7af68cbb7b810f228b9c4793dc3329115.png

The Scarab's turret in action - more on SRV weaponry soon

As with the rest of the game the surface of the worlds you can land on is recreated on a 1:1 scale, not only spatially but with gravity as well. Gravity has a big effect on the handling of the SRV and here the thrusters provide their second major function. When testing the SRV in different environments there are edge cases with very low gravity and extremely high gravity where the SRV becomes impossible to handle. The thrusters help compensate for these extremes in handling, but only to a limited degree – it feels very different driving on a tiny moon compared to a massive terrestrial planet.

As already mentioned making the driving fun in itself is an important goal for us. While the thrusters do add to a large extent (there’s something quite magical with boosting out of a crater and into the sunrise!) the actual contact with the vehicle and the surface provides a lot of feedback. Similar to sand buggies, if you try to push the SRV’s performance then you need to work harder to keep it under control. Feedback is very important here – the ships audio and VFX, along with the handling, create the response you need to let you know what’s going on.

The SRV is equipped with a turret optimised for engaging local opponents like skimmers (see last week’s dev update for more information on these) and other SRV’s (if hostile players are in the area). In theory you could take on a ship, but ship mounted weapons are much more powerful than the SRV’s so it’s best not to! You should also beware some of large defensive turrets – these are equipped to tackle low flying ships, but pose a threat to SRVs as well.

Combat is just one feature of an SRV. The Scarab is capable of carrying two cargo canisters and also has a new device for finding things on the surface – more on that in a couple of weeks’ time!"

Preorder Elite Dangerous: Horizons now.

5744cf2633bfc8a2ac7b02e316cece88.jpg

An SRV approaches a base wall in this piece of early Horizons concept art. More on Settlements in the coming weeks

SRV livestream next week!!!

A few of you caught Frontier CEO David Braben's latest YouTube upload earlier today, showing the very first in-game footage of the SRV in action. Now, we want to show you more.

We're hosting another stream on Wednesday October 21 at 7PM BST, with a live demo showcasing the handling and controls of the SRV. Tune in to our official YouTube channel at 7PM to watch Designer Mike Evans talk you through the SRV's controls in a live environment.

To add to the excitement of the night, Art Director Chris Gregory will show and tell us about the artistic decisions behind the Scarab, from concept to completion. We’re sure there will be time for questions afterwards, so don’t miss this must-see event!

Can't wait to get more info on planetary settlements.

EDIT: Also, I didn't even think of this, but Braben notes that in the SRV video, motion blur isn't applied to the wheels of the SRV. Is this the first confirmation of object-based motion blur in Elite? I'd love a little motion blur in the game.

I have had a "wanted" on the side of my hud but I can't find who I am wanted with nor a place where I can pay for my fine.
Sitting on 36 million (from 27 last weekend) with a fully loaded vulture and cobra in the docks while I fly my trading spec'ed python (280 cargo?!) trying to catch up to my friend's 90+ million liquid cash before the next ship release.

edit: My friend wants an Elite Rocket League lol with those lunar lander.

DrBo42

Newsletter is out! Some good stuff in here--this is basically the dev update but with images:

SRV livestream next week!!!

Can't wait to get more info on planetary settlements.

EDIT: Also, I didn't even think of this, but Braben notes that in the SRV video, motion blur isn't applied to the wheels of the SRV. Is this the first confirmation of object-based motion blur in Elite? I'd love a little motion blur in the game.

You know, I have my very local criticism of FD but they're really killing it with these livestreams. Exactly the stuff they should have been doing post launch.

You know, I have my very local criticism of FD but they're really killing it with these livestreams. Exactly the stuff they should have been doing post launch.

Base concept art.

5744cf2633bfc8a2ac7b02e316cece88.jpg

They waited until they had actually something interesting to show.

Yeah, that concept art is utterly fantastic. Can't wait to see those structures in-game.

And I agree with the livestreams. IMO, it's not just having something to show off, but it's giving the community a better degree of visibility into future content that is most appreciated. Just halfway through the year, FD seemed very guarded about their roadmap, but with Horizons, we hear pretty often about features they have planned for the season. I love it.

EDIT: Also, don't know if y'all saw this fan art on Reddit: "Ramming Speed"

Hoping we actually get outfits like that to wear. Love the space jacket/jumpsuit look over the skintight bodysuits.

apflOD8.jpg

I've started using my FDL for Bounty Hunting again instead of the Python. My Python has a bit more fire power but I prefer hardpoints on the FDL because I have the most fun with fixed weapons. Also, the huge plasma accelerator is still very satisfying to use. At some point I'll sell the Python and get a Anaconda but I think I'll always keep the FDL.

mnannola

Yeah, that concept art is utterly fantastic. Can't wait to see those structures in-game.

And I agree with the livestreams. IMO, it's not just having something to show off, but it's giving the community a better degree of visibility into future content that is most appreciated. Just halfway through the year, FD seemed very guarded about their roadmap, but with Horizons, we hear pretty often about features they have planned for the season. I love it.

Yea they are giving everyone an actual reason to get excited. Not just a "trust us, it's going to be great", but concrete details and screenshots of WHY we should look forward to the expansion.

They have really won me over the last few weeks.

As someone who was a moderate fan of EVE: Online, can someone recommend me Elite: Dangerous? Some info on my experience with the former:

1. I loved the shared universe aspect, which it looks like Elite does as well. Also really loved the whole "if your ship gets destroyed then its gone" system, not sure how Elite handles death.

2. Part of my interest with these games is living out my sci-fi fantasies, and EVE really failed there because the immersion is just not there. Here it looks like you play in first person the majority/all the time? That certainly helps.

3. I was fine with the slower pace of everything, but I hated how many times I'd spend full sessions without anything of interest happening.

4. The whole skill system was a bit of a pain, insanely slow and entirely passive. Kind of indifferent here, but I feel it can be done better. How does Elite handle this?

5. The developers didn't seem like they really knew what they were doing and all their promises had to be taken with huge grains of salt. Seeing the Elite: Horizons stuff has given me good vibes with these guys, however.

6. Probably the biggest thing I hated with EVE is how the player politics were so damn strong and if you didn't join a well established corporation you were pretty much dead in the water. There was really no meaningful way to just hit the skies with a buddy or two and live out your life as a small band of pilots. With this, would such a play style be possible and would it lead to a good deal of variety in your day-to-day sessions?

7. Lastly, if I did get this I would need to convince my buddies to as well, so anyone else who has successfully convinced your buddies, how did you do it? This doesn't have a subscription I believe, so that helps.

I know I could probably find all of these answers with enough searching around the internet, but I really want to see y'alls opinions. Sorry if this feels like a drive-by post, if anything just ignore it and move along.

frontieruk

As someone who was a moderate fan of EVE: Online, can someone recommend me Elite: Dangerous? Some info on my experience with the former:

1. I loved the shared universe aspect, which it looks like Elite does as well. Also really loved the whole "if your ship gets destroyed then its gone" system, not sure how Elite handles death.

2. Part of my interest with these games is living out my sci-fi fantasies, and EVE really failed there because the immersion is just not there. Here it looks like you play in first person the majority/all the time? That certainly helps.

3. I was fine with the slower pace of everything, but I hated how many times I'd spend full sessions without anything of interest happening.

4. The whole skill system was a bit of a pain, insanely slow and entirely passive. Kind of indifferent here, but I feel it can be done better. How does Elite handle this?

5. The developers didn't seem like they really knew what they were doing and all their promises had to be taken with huge grains of salt. Seeing the Elite: Horizons stuff has given me good vibes with these guys, however.

6. Probably the biggest thing I hated with EVE is how the player politics were so damn strong and if you didn't join a well established corporation you were pretty much dead in the water. There was really no meaningful way to just hit the skies with a buddy or two and live out your life as a small band of pilots. With this, would such a play style be possible and would it lead to a good deal of variety in your day-to-day sessions?

7. Lastly, if I did get this I would need to convince my buddies to as well, so anyone else who has successfully convinced your buddies, how did you do it? This doesn't have a subscription I believe, so that helps.

I know I could probably find all of these answers with enough searching around the internet, but I really want to see y'alls opinions. Sorry if this feels like a drive-by post, if anything just ignore it and move along.

1. Space can be very lonely if your not in one of the more popular trade / hunting systems, you can lose everything if you don't have enough money to buy it back, so you get a basic sidewinder to start again and possibly a sum of debt that gets paid back as you trade.

2. It's very immersive.

3. It's more up to you what happens but you will be attacked at some point.

4.it's rank grinding, skill just gets you up the ranks quicker

5. Which devs? Frontier dev have always been pretty open with their goals just tight lipped on their plans to get there.

6. The universe is big, so money and progression can be made without aligning to a group, though you can get big cash bonuses and faction specific modules for your ship.

7. Play it, it is the best water cooler game I've played in a long time, without experiencing it you cant really understand why it is so good, I can talk passionately about the game as I've sunk a ridiculous amount of time into it.

1. Space can be very lonely if your not in one of the more popular trade / hunting systems, you can lose everything if you don't have enough money to buy it back, so you get a basic sidewinder to start again and possibly a sum of debt that gets paid back as you trade.

2. It's very immersive.

3. It's more up to you what happens but you will be attacked at some point.

4.it's rank grinding, skill just gets you up the ranks quicker

5. Which devs? Frontier dev have always been pretty open with their goals just tight lipped on their plans to get there.

6. The universe is big, so money and progression can be made without aligning to a group, though you can get big cash bonuses and faction specific modules for your ship.

7. Play it, it is the best water cooler game I've played in a long time, without experiencing it you cant really understand why it is so good, I can talk passionately about the game as I've sunk a ridiculous amount of time into it.
Thank you so much for your response! On point 5 I meant CCP, I really don't feel like I can trust a single word they say. Regarding just playing it, would now be a good time to hop into the game? I hear that if you buy Horizons you get everything else, but won't be able to play until Horizons? And there's no sale going on now. But man I'm really curious and just want to give it a go.

I've started using my FDL for Bounty Hunting again instead of the Python. My Python has a bit more fire power but I prefer hardpoints on the FDL because I have the most fun with fixed weapons. Also, the huge plasma accelerator is still very satisfying to use. At some point I'll sell the Python and get a Anaconda but I think I'll always keep the FDL.

yea I'm struggling to think of a reason to keep my Python anymore. In any scenario I may want to use it, I can think of another ship I'd rather be using. Tank combat? I'd rather use my Conda. PvP tank? I'd rather use my quad-rail Gunship. Fast combat? I'd rather use my FdL or FAS. Small ship combat? I'd rather use my Courier.

Maybe I'll just refit it for trading/Mining. Cargo capacity is certainly suitable for Smuggling and such where landing on Medium pads is still desirable.

LeBart

Thank you so much for your response! On point 5 I meant CCP, I really don't feel like I can trust a single word they say. Regarding just playing it, would now be a good time to hop into the game? I hear that if you buy Horizons you get everything else, but won't be able to play until Horizons? And there's no sale going on now. But man I'm really curious and just want to give it a go.
I'd wait for Horizons. It's only a couple months away now.

Burny

I'd wait for Horizons. It's only a couple months away now.

I'd second that. Unless you absolutely want to play the game right now and are 100% certain that you can and will invest the time now. Otherwise waiting for Horizons is the more reasonable choice. It won't offer all that much over the base game from the start - only landings iirc - but you'll get all exclusive features down the line. Whatever those turn out to be. Probably mostly landings related, e.g. different types of SRVs, because I can't fathom the character creator and multi crew features being exclusive to Horizons players (that is to say, I'll be seriously disappointed in FDev if they turn out to be).

You guys should do what you want...

...but I made $113,000,000.00 in 2 smuggling runs from Sothis back to the core systems. About $30 mill and hour. Roughly the amount I had to slave for a week to get rank 5 bounty bonus to achieve. And this is actually fun. Do one run a day and you'll end very wealthy very quickly.

LeBart

...but I made $113,000,000.00 in 2 smuggling runs from Sothis back to the core systems. About $30 mill and hour. Roughly the amount I had to slave for a week to get rank 5 bounty bonus to achieve. And this is actually fun. Do one run a day and you'll end very wealthy very quickly.
I'm not about to turn criminal just to make a profit, sir!

I'm typing Sothis in the galaxy map right now. -_-

DrBo42

I'm not about to turn criminal just to make a profit, sir!

I'm typing Sothis in the galaxy map right now. -_-

Yeah made a good 30 mil yesterday before work. About to jump in and fund a Conda.

Wait...what's the scoop here?

Rank requirement?

I'm a trading rank Broker and I'm finding missions for 3-6 mil that I can accept. There are ones that are 8-9 mil that I cannot because they require higher rank.

Reckheim

Just tried it my self, and I agree. I wasn't as successful but still made about 40 mil in 2.5 hours.

Not the safest job out there tho.

Wait...what's the scoop here?
Because the system is like 500LY from usual inhabited space, they pay a lot more for their smuggling missions. As in, you'll see a fair number of $4 million - $10 million smuggling runs. Take the ones you see, relog to refresh the bulletin board and repeat until you have as many missions as you can hold. All of the delivery points will be within a couple of jumps of each other, so you just fly around and collect your money.

It's not without peril though; police will think you're a criminal mastermind and will attempt to interdict you and lots of NPCs will want to "have a talk" with you. Oh and you won't want to get scanned with your illegal cargo. All of that makes it fun. Well, that and the millions you'll be making.

Go to tthe Sothis system and get missions at the main station for maybe 20 minutes, then switch to the outpost and do the same there. You can also go to the neighboring Ceos system and do the same if the other 2 aren't giving you missions speedily.

Catch: almost every mission will have you landing at an Outpost. That means no large hulls.

Recommended: Asp Explorer fitted for trade with an A3 shield, B5 Scoop, and A6 cargo rack. Put whatever weapons on it you like, as you will need to defend yourself on occasion. A-spec the internals, as it won't save you much weight anyway in that ship and so that you really can defend yourself if needed. Alternately you can do a A3 scoop and A5 shield; just a matter of how much fighting you want to do. You won't have Banks so anything bigger than a Courier and you should just be boosting and spooling regardless.

It's pretty entertaining, a different way to make money, and you'll see some interesting Outpost designs along the way.

Rank requirement?

Sometimes they will ask for a certain allegiance status or trade rank. I went out there as an Entrepreneur (not sure how high that is). The missions are completely random in requirements. Just wander out there in a ship with some jump range and 60-70T worth of storage space. You'll get enough to make it worth doing.

I was looking at some of the outfitted Anacondas on Reddit elite and was sticker shocked at the half a billion dollar setups.
Feels so far away.

Gonna trade a bit more in my Python then outfit it for bounty hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom