• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qasiel

I need to get out there and start earning some serious scratch. I might now have enough to buy an Asp and rig it up for some trading again, and then once I've done that for a while (when Horizons releases), turn it into a full explorer. Now that CQC is around, any time I want to scratch that combat itch I can just use that for a bit.

So I flew my new ASP out to Sothis just to find out my trade rank is too low for any of the good runs.

Got almost 1 million out of the rare commodity though, so not a complete loss.

SmartBase

I'd love to do those sweet long rage missions but spending 5 minutes in every goddamned hyperspace jump over 10+ jumps isn't that appealing.

I'd love to do those sweet long rage missions but spending 5 minutes in every goddamned hyperspace jump over 10+ jumps isn't that appealing.

I like it as a nice change of pace. But when you're like me and have turned in roughly 10,000 bounties and combat bonds combined...well a change of pace is awfully nice to have. It's like making money while sight-seeing. A lot of money. if I do one of those missions a day I'll have a billion in cash in my pocket by the end of October.

Real talk right there bros.

SmartBase

I like it as a nice change of pace. But when you're like me and have turned in roughly 10,000 bounties and combat bonds combined...well a change of pace is awfully nice to have. It's like making money while sight-seeing. A lot of money. if I do one of those missions a day I'll have a billion in cash in my pocket by the end of October.

Real talk right there bros.

I meant that hyperspace and supercruise transitions have been absolutely fucked for me for the last week or so, it takes forever and a half to make a jump. I can browse GAF and watch a Youtube video or two in the time it takes to get to another system, it's never been this bad.

LeBart

Can confirm. Jumps took at least a minute each for me yesterday while playing solo. No problem once I went back to Open Play.

It's super weird.

elyetis

Gave a try to Hazardous Resource Extraction Site ( in the Apam Napat system ). It can be pretty fun, and can give a good reason to Wing.

But
good spawning was still a minority, and after going back at the station we were never able to get decent spawn again at the HRES; I really thought Hazardous meant "no need for the leave/come back bullshit to get a decent spawn list".

Nothing to do with being in a Hazardous resource site, but I also kind of imploded with full shield & hull, while no longer in combat; and no asteroid close enough to explain it ( and my speed would have been too low anyway.. ). First death with my FDL, not really the one I expected... I will keep shadowplay running now... just in case.

Hylian7

Gave a try to Hazardous Resource Extraction Site ( in the Apam Napat system ). It can be pretty fun, and can give a good reason to Wing.

But
good spawning was still a minority, and after going back at the station we were never able to get decent spawn again at the HRES; I really thought Hazardous meant "no need for the leave/come back bullshit to get a decent spawn list".

Nothing to do with being in a Hazardous resource site, but I also kind of imploded with full shield & hull, while no longer in combat; and no asteroid close enough to explain it ( and my speed would have been too low anyway.. ). First death with my FDL, not really the one I expected... I will keep shadowplay running now... just in case.

I think I have only ever gotten a bad spawn table maybe once in a Hazardous RES. Every single time they have improved with waiting a minute or so, even if the first ship I saw was a wanted Eagle, next thing I knew I saw Anacondas.

Then you sometimes get those wings that are actually downright scary, like a Dropship accompanied by two Gunships. I looked at that and was like "Nope" in my FDL.

elyetis

I think I have only ever gotten a bad spawn table maybe once in a Hazardous RES. Every single time they have improved with waiting a minute or so, even if the first ship I saw was a wanted Eagle, next thing I knew I saw Anacondas.

Then you sometimes get those wings that are actually downright scary, like a Dropship accompanied by two Gunships. I looked at that and was like "Nope" in my FDL.
I did have some nice Wings ( like 3 anaconda or a vulture with 2 gunship ) the first time.
But after that, after at least 5 try where I spent 5-10 min each, sidewinder, adder, imperial eagle and some very rare bigger ship, usualy gunships. :/

Nah, they still often require resetting. There are mixed spawn tables and all big ship spawn tables. If you're seeing small ships at all, reset.

elyetis

Nah, they still often require resetting. There are mixed spawn tables and all big ship spawn tables. If you're seeing small ships at all, reset.
I understand the idea of random spawn, diversity in ships and all. But random spawn table ( so not based say on your bounty hunting rank or ship, which could make sens I guess ) seem so stupid since it can really only lead to what is currently done; resetting the instance until you get what you want.

I think I got what I'm going to get out the long distance smuggling routine. 150 million in 2 days, 4 round trips. You can make crazy money but it takes a big time investment. A single round trip was taking me 3-3:30 hours between collecting the missions and making the trips. I could have shaved some good time off if I would have dropped the python and went with an Asp with a better jump range. I imagine these missions will be nerfed since they are far and away the fastest way to make money in the game if you're willing to take the time.

I think I got what I'm going to get out the long distance smuggling routine. 150 million in 2 days, 4 round trips. You can make crazy money but it takes a big time investment. A single round trip was taking me 3-3:30 hours between collecting the missions and making the trips. I could have shaved some good time off if I would have dropped the python and went with an Asp with a better jump range. I imagine these missions will be nerfed since they are far and away the fastest way to make money in the game if you're willing to take the time.

I doubt they'll nerf them because it really is a dedicated block of time committed to get it done. I think it's fairly on par or slightly more lucrative than regular trading with a good route and a big ship, or RES farming with a 100% bonus. But the difference is the later can be done at your own pace. You can take breaks; you can go something else with your day and come back to it whenever. With this smuggling shit, you're on a timer.

But yea I like it. Nice change of pace for me who's spent so much time in CZs and RES sites.

I don't have any Power Play experience and I've never owned an Anaconda, so if it's reasonable to make that kind of money in those cases maybe they won't do anything about it.

I don't have any Power Play experience and I've never owned an Anaconda, so if it's reasonable to make that kind of money in those cases maybe they won't do anything about it.

In a Conda, you can make about..eh...maybe $15 mill/hour trading? Very casual, no-risk trading.

At a RES site you can make anywhere from $5-25 mill/hour trading, depending on bounty bonus and spawn table (and how long you can last in it). Fairly high risk.

With this smuggling run you can make $10-$25 mill/hour, roughly. I did 2 runs and made $65 mill the first trip and about $50 mill on the second trip. Was probably about 5 hours total invested or so and not always the best missions accepted. Low risk, but high intensity with lots of interdictions to fight off or run from. It definitely requires your total attention and you have to do it all at once.

Hylian7

Are bounties bugged right now or is there some change to it I'm not aware of?

Last week I killed a guy in the Gende system, got a week bounty for that. I left the system and doing stuff somewhere else. I took a mission that involved an assassination in the other system, unfortunately I died because I barely scraped my target's ship when it had less than 10% hull. Yeah, my fault.

Before this happened, my bounty in Gende had something like 3 days left. Now after buying back from that death, I look at transactions and...

DA9585020F5751289F2FCDAA23F1506363D207C5

Why? According to what I read on the subject: http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Bounty

If, however, your ship is destroyed before the bounty becomes dormant then the following happens: If another ship detects the bounty and destroys you then the bounty is claimed and removed. If your ship is destroyed but the bounty is not detected, then the bounty becomes dormant (as above) immediately and can only be detected by authority scans by agents of the jurisdiction in which the bounty was gained.

So it's not gone, which means the Gende bounty wasn't detected and claimed. Aztlan was the system I died in, so that makes sense for it to still be there. But why was the Gende one reset? That makes no sense at all.

Pomerlaw

Remember guys, Elite isn't about getting more credits and a bigger ship. It's all about the journey.

I'm still in my little Viper and I enjoy it a lot. I don't grind for anything.

PbR6hz0.png

Oh, and I can wait for gas giant landing so I can fly inside a storm like that :

aJ54u9T.png

HunRevan

Can someone recommend me a good viper outfit for bounty hunting? I only did trading and exploring so far. I want to get into some action.

Pomerlaw

Can someone recommend me a good viper outfit for bounty hunting? I only did trading and exploring so far. I want to get into some action.

I use 2 beam lasers on the left, and 2 cannons on the right.

So one class one and one class 2. You have to put your nose up a bit sometimes for the 2 lasers to connect, but I feel it works much better than 2 class one...

A shields, engines and power and a booster... All the rest is optimized for low weight. I'm not even sure I still have an FSD fitted... I use it for combat in my local system (home).

IMO I'm much better being light, because it gives me more agility and speed. I can hit 414 and boost very often. When things go wrong, I just run. The only things that scare me are Clippers. Cobras can catch me but I can destroy them easily. I don't even care about chaff...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Remember guys, Elite isn't about getting more credits and a bigger ship. It's all about the journey.

I'm still in my little Viper and I enjoy it a lot. I don't grind for anything.

I agree. Of course, I have to agree, I explore primarily so I'm not making lots of credits at all. I've been playing since launch and I only have about 7 million credits in my account right now. Of course, I do own a well fitted Asp miner, a Vulture, and a Diamond Explorer, so I've sunk some credits into those three ships. I tend to play for fun rather than money.

That said though, this Sothis smuggling route intrigues me. I may fly my Asp miner out there with it's size 64 cargo rack and try a run to see how it is. I've only done a small amount of smuggling in the past year so it might be fun. I would like to eventually buy a dedicated trading ship. I had a Type 6 while I was grinding trade runs to buy my Asp last year, wouldn't mind getting a dedicated Type 9 for trade runs. I find trading kind of fun honestly, but I enjoy it more when I fly around searching for good routes myself rather than using online tools and such to "find" them.

spoken like a true pauper!

fuck all that. it's about my journey to my Federal Corvette and Imperial Cutter.

Oh, and I can wait for gas giant landing so I can fly inside a storm like that :

aJ54u9T.png

Considering most gas giants are speculated to only be solid at their cores, there will be no gas planet landing. They don't have surfaces as we think of them. Even if you could, why in the hell would you want to fly into a hurricane with winds in excess of nearly 400km/h?

On the subject, Jupiter's eye is slowly fading away. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/sciencefair/2015/10/16/jupiter-red-spot-shrinking/74065798/

:(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Huh, so I find out about this strategy this morning and it's gone before I even get home to try it out? Disappointing.

How was it nerfed though? Does it still earn credits but just not as much? Were the smuggling missions removed from Sothis completely? I still feel like doing some smuggling and channeling my inner Han Solo for a little bit....

Huh, so I find out about this strategy this morning and it's gone before I even get home to try it out? Disappointing.

How was it nerfed though? Does it still earn credits but just not as much? Were the smuggling missions removed from Sothis completely? I still feel like doing some smuggling and channeling my inner Han Solo for a little bit....

I can't find a source on reddit, but some people are reporting they're still there, just much more rare. Like they just changed a % value for how often they appear on the BB or something like that.

I'm not sure how nerfed it is but I'd say if you can get 1 or 2 of the really big missions (5-8 mil) and it doesn't take an eternity to show up you can make ok money if you're looking to dip your toe in the long distance smuggling racket. If it takes hours to spawn one of those missions then it's probably not too profitable and at the same time kills the fun.

The way it was working, I'd get 11-13 smuggling missions (if I was more patient I could have gotten more) worth 2-8mil a piece by switching between Open, Private and Solo for about an hour. Then I'd make the trip to the clusters of systems with the missions and deliver, which in my python took 2-2.5 hours depending on the interdictions and the amount of supercruising needed. An Asp would be faster. If it was just 1 or 2 missions, you turn around time would be much faster. It would come down to how long it takes to get one of those juicy missions.

It would be nice if Frontier could just fix the bulletin board mechanic that allowed people to stack missions through relogging instead of limiting the occurence of the missions themselves. I'm not about to tell anyone how to spend their time, but stacking missions by relogging definitely isn't how I'd want to earn my millions. Not that I could anyway--I've been thousands of LY away for quite a while now.

On my current trip, I've finally figured out where to hunt for carbon stars and will have put my name on quite a few once I've returned. Already have 5 undiscovered ones behind me and have a queue of 8 more to go, all within about 4k LY, all likely undiscovered. The last one required me to jettison 7 small survey data caches and deplete about 2/3 of my fuel tank for the jump to it. I learned then that the fastest route planning assumes you have a full tank--even though the star was within range, the route planner would tell me there was no route available even if I was just the one jump away. Where I am now, I'll likely have to wrestle with fuel/cargo management just to make the jumps necessary to get back to denser starspace, doing a lot of manual route-planning to get by the "route unavailable" lies. Good scary times.

Speaking of scary, it finally happened--around 7.5k LY out, I made one of those gut-wrenching butthole-clenching jumps into a close binary system and was immediately dumped against the companion star. No emergency drop, but deep in fuel-scooping territory and gaining heat quickly. I made my escape, heart racing, then turned around to scan the star and my anxiety quickly faded to laughter thanks to that wonderful new touch in 1.4:

A nice reminder out in the void that it could always have been much, much worse. I paid my respects, left him with his survey data, and carried on.

I think the biggest reason I want an anaconda is due to the fact that a few of my friends plan on buying the game and I really want to come greet them in the biggest playable ship in the game when they wobble out of their starting station in their sidewinder. I now have the money for sure but I'll hold off for now.

Hylian7

I think the biggest reason I want an anaconda is due to the fact that a few of my friends plan on buying the game and I really want to come greet them in the biggest playable ship in the game when they wobble out of their starting station in their sidewinder. I now have the money for sure but I'll hold off for now.
What ship are you in right now?

What ship are you in right now?

I own a python, FDL and Diamondback Explorer. My total worth is in the 450 million Cr range.

On a side note, I sold the huge plasma accel on my FDL and replaced it with the huge cannon. The cannon is so much better. The PA did work on shields but I have plenty of lasers to do that. Canons just sound so good and don't take half your weapons capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom