• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

I own a python, FDL and Diamondback Explorer. My total worth is in the 450 million Cr range.

On a side note, I sold the huge plasma accel on my FDL and replaced it with the huge cannon. The cannon is so much better. The PA did work on shields but I have plenty of lasers to do that. Canons just sound so good and don't take half your weapons capacitor.
Guarantee you will still impress your friends in your FDL. I own an FDL and Vulture, both fully outfitted, as well as a Diamondback Explorer with some outfitting. I haven't used the Diamondback much.

Wreav

Banned
Was finally able to try out Elite on HTC Vive in our studio. Suffice it to say, way better experience than the DK2!

Can you comment on build quality/comfort compared to the DK2?

Also curious about text readability in ED. The Vive is leading the Rift to me right now, but ED would be my main game.

Burny

Is anybody going to watch the SRV livestream tomorrow evening (7 PM GMT)? If I can find the time, I'll watch it, but I can't say for sure, yet.

phinious

Just started this game 2 days ago. I can't believe how addicted I've become. At work now thinking about how to optimize my hotas buttons for dogfighting... So far I've only done bounties and bought a viper with a bunch of upgrades.

The viper feels so good! I can take on any single npc I find. Wings of any size take me out fast though!

Is there a good way to travel really long distances? I need like 60 jumps to get to my buddy so we can wreak havoc

Pretty sure gas planets won't be landable but they'll be explorable. I think they said that you can gather resources from them, at least.

Is anybody going to watch the SRV livestream tomorrow evening (7 PM GMT)? If I can find the time, I'll watch it, but I can't say for sure, yet.

I REALLY want to but I also have a friend in town, so don't know if I'll be able to while I'm playing host :-\

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Decided to give it a spin after I quit shortly post-launch.

What's the thing to do now? I want to shoot things.

Hylian7

Decided to give it a spin after I quit shortly post-launch.

What's the thing to do now? I want to shoot things.
What ship are you running?

Regardless, join Lavigny-Duval, get a Kill Warrant Scanner, and go to a Resource Extraction Site. Scan every wanted ship and kill them. What ship you have will determine which intensity RES you should be doing. Make sure you are doing this in a Lavigny-Duval system for max cash.

Haly

What ship are you running?

Regardless, join Lavigny-Duval, get a Kill Warrant Scanner, and go to a Resource Extraction Site. Scan every wanted ship and kill them. What ship you have will determine which intensity RES you should be doing. Make sure you are doing this in a Lavigny-Duval system for max cash.
Viper.
CQC for definate human opponents, hazardous resource zones or war zones for a mix of AI and human if playing open.

I play Open.

I guess I'll high tail it to Lavigny Duval. Oh it's not a system but a faction.

Hylian7

Viper.

I play Open.

I guess I'll high tail it to Lavigny Duval. Oh it's not a system but a faction.

Yeah, go to Powerplay and join her. If you want you can grind up for the ranks too if you want to have even more profit from bounty hunting. I would recommend either Low Intensity RES or normal RES. You should be okay on normal, but I haven't hunted in those since before there was ever a distinction between intensities of RES. Back in the day though I used to hunt in normal RES with a Viper though.

Just remember, scan with your KWS before you shoot anything.

Haly

So we can collect bounties from across the galaxy now? I had ditched my KWS because I couldn't be arsed to fly to indepedent space.

Hylian7

So we can collect bounties from across the galaxy now? I had ditched my KWS because I couldn't be arsed to fly to indepedent space.

Not yet, but the thing is you can still get more bounties that can be picked up in your local system. You can always go pick up the ones that aren't in your local system later. They won't go anywhere unless you die. I did a lot of RES hunting recently and had a lot of Alliance bounties to pick up, so I picked up a super cheap Imperial Clipper (from Arjung, highly recommend it if you can afford that) and am doing some trading right now, and picking up bounties I couldn't pick up elsewhere on the way.

Haly

I actually cleared my Federation bounties somehow in Empire space...

It must've been on the border or something.

Haly

No I self destructed. Can I just restart somewhere in Lavigny space? Or is it random?

DrBo42

I don't know what it is about mining but I'm completely addicted. Got an Anaconda with 10 bin refinery and 6 collectors going (I'd get a prospector with multiple limpet control but they don't deactivate in order of deployment when firing a new one. Making it useless unless you want to power off and on the controller after deploying all).

That gameplay loop of hunting a rock with painite/endorphin rush when it's a high % coupled with lining your ship on a rotating rock's axis so the chunks fly directly under the nose of your ship (enabling the collectors to work at a light speed pace) just works so well.

Completely repetitive and an obvious grind but feels way more interactive and rewarding than any exploring I've done.

I mean fuck, when mining gameplay is better than exploring a complete galaxy you've got a major problem.

Soi-Fong

Can you comment on build quality/comfort compared to the DK2?

Also curious about text readability in ED. The Vive is leading the Rift to me right now, but ED would be my main game.

The Vive is way better comfort wise and tech wise even being a dev kit on it's own. The lenses are wayy wider so the sweet spot is much bigger and it's much more comfortable to wear. Along with that, glasses wearers like me can actually wear glasses without it killing our noses. I love it and it's only going to get better.

What's crazy to me is that Elite is still one of the best VR experiences even now, even with all of the different Vive builds I have tried out of different games. I've been able to try out even some of the games that were shown in Oculus Connect and Elite still exceeds some of these experiences.

Oh also, NOTHING beats actually walking around your ship which I was able to do in the Vive. It felt so natural actually walking around and I really felt like I was inside my beloved Cobra. It made me feel even more attached to my ship than ever before.

Text readability is I'd say a lil bit better, but you have to remember the Vive isn't even complete 1440p same as the Rift. The 90 fps refresh rate though does help in smoothing out the experience even further.

Anyway, here's a picture of the Vive in our studio. I was testing out our app when this picture was taken.

TG4b.jpg

I think those who are planning on getting the Vive won't be disappointed by it even going from the DK2.

I'm planning on joining Arissa Lavigny-Duval for the bounty bonus, but I've avoided power play due to the issues people were having with endless introductions and being instantly target for death in enemy systems and what not. Is there a good resource that covers how it all works? I'm looking at the wiki but it seems more of an overview of the big aspects but doesn't really cover the negative impacts.

Jezbollah

I'm planning on joining Arissa Lavigny-Duval for the bounty bonus, but I've avoided power play due to the issues people were having with endless introductions and being instantly target for death in enemy systems and what not. Is there a good resource that covers how it all works? I'm looking at the wiki but it seems more of an overview of the big aspects but doesn't really cover the negative impacts.

By introductions did you mean interdictions? If so then patch 1.4.1 that was rolled out today should help with that.

Other players are probably the best resource to answer such questions. As an ALD supporter yea...your interdiction rates will go up no matter which power you join. And yes, the threat of being attacked just for being aligned to a given power while in "enemy" space (or even in your aligned systems) is real as supporter NPCs from enemy factions attempt to hunt you down. Also, shooting an "enemy" (an NPC or player aligned to a Federation, Alliance or Independent power) who decided to shoot at you unprovoked while in THEIR space will get you a fine and a Wanted tag. So essentially you have to run from fights in enemy systems. This can make participating in some CGs awkward, though they are usually in neutral space.

The Pros of course are access to different weapons and modules (note: I did not say "better" weapons/modules for a reason) and in the case of ALD, a big bonus in RES hunting payouts. If bounty hunting is what you enjoy doing, a 20%/30%/40%/100% bonus to your check is a pretty huge deal. In those scenarios, people are known to make upwards of $30 million/hour RES hunting with a Rank 5 bounty bonus.

Note: You can get the same bounty bonuses from Winters if you want to pledge a Federation power with the same bonuses. With the addition of the Assault Ship and Gunship, there is no real reason to go Imperial unless you prefer those powers. Before it was about getting access to the Clipper and Courier but IMO the Assault Ship and Gunship are far superior ships worthy or grinding rank to get access to them. Plus, if you can raise the coin quickly, you can get a Clipper *without rank* for $14.7 mill.

$0.02

First thing I noticed, lol.
Are you sure you were testing ELITE ??? ;)

lewd

Pomerlaw

Another hot streaming today!

A few of you caught Frontier CEO David Braben's latest YouTube upload earlier today, showing the very first in-game footage of the SRV in action. Now, we want to show you more.

We're hosting another stream on Wednesday October 21 at 7PM BST, with a live demo showcasing the handling and controls of the SRV. Tune in to our official YouTube channel at 7PM to watch Designer Mike Evans talk you through the SRV's controls in a live environment.

To add to the excitement of the night, Art Director Chris Gregory will show and tell us about the artistic decisions behind the Scarab, from concept to completion. We’re sure there will be time for questions afterwards, so don’t miss this must-see event!

Other players are probably the best resource to answer such questions. As an ALD supporter yea...your interdiction rates will go up no matter which power you join. And yes, the threat of being attacked just for being aligned to a given power while in "enemy" space (or even in your aligned systems) is real as supporter NPCs from enemy factions attempt to hunt you down. Also, shooting an "enemy" (an NPC or player aligned to a Federation, Alliance or Independent power) who decided to shoot at you unprovoked while in THEIR space will get you a fine and a Wanted tag. So essentially you have to run from fights in enemy systems. This can make participating in some CGs awkward, though they are usually in neutral space.

The Pros of course are access to different weapons and modules (note: I did not say "better" weapons/modules for a reason) and in the case of ALD, a big bonus in RES hunting payouts. If bounty hunting is what you enjoy doing, a 20%/30%/40%/100% bonus to your check is a pretty huge deal. In those scenarios, people are known to make upwards of $30 million/hour RES hunting with a Rank 5 bounty bonus.

Note: You can get the same bounty bonuses from Winters if you want to pledge a Federation power with the same bonuses. With the addition of the Assault Ship and Gunship, there is no real reason to go Imperial unless you prefer those powers. Before it was about getting access to the Clipper and Courier but IMO the Assault Ship and Gunship are far superior ships worthy or grinding rank to get access to them. Plus, if you can raise the coin quickly, you can get a Clipper *without rank* for $14.7 mill.

$0.02

Thanks for the info. So since the Apam Napat is not an ALD system, I will be treated as hostile in that system? Or will I just be pestered by non-ALD aligned ships with interdictions? It is Empire controlled but I'm pretty sure it's a different power.

Reckheim

Oh also, NOTHING beats actually walking around your ship which I was able to do in the Vive. It felt so natural actually walking around and I really felt like I was inside my beloved Cobra. It made me feel even more attached to my ship than ever before.

whoaw ... can you actually do that currently in the game while using VR or was this just a later build?

I'm seriously considering getting the Vive when it comes out, do you think you could still use a keyboard if you have a good perception where all the keys are (i prefer to play with a keyboard)?

mnannola

Live stream looked amazing. I think they are really nailing so many little details with the SRV, it will be fun to drive it around even without anything on the planet.

Can't wait to see SRV combat.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I just watched the entire hour long video, damn they've done a fine job with that SRV. They didn't show any ground combat nor anything you can find on the surface, but driving around looks FANTASTIC. This will be so damned addicting for explorers now.

I am so impressed with the driving physics as far as I can discern them from that video. I hope the audio feedback can do a decent job of replacing the force feedback I've become so accustomed to in driving a sim. SRV racing is going to consume me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom