• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckheim

gY8AE3v.png
Ooo Yeh ... Rankings with percantege

Soi-Fong

whoaw ... can you actually do that currently in the game while using VR or was this just a later build?

I'm seriously considering getting the Vive when it comes out, do you think you could still use a keyboard if you have a good perception where all the keys are (i prefer to play with a keyboard)?

Vive support is already in, at least from what I can tell. And it's still similar to you "walking" around with the DK2 per say.

Walking around my ship, I still see my headless avatar, bug ignore that and I literally am standing in my beloved ship and it is glorious.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
These Crime Sweeps are too real for me. I keep dying!

SmartBase

I want to believe, but it seems like they're transferring the tedium of the current space game to a planetary backdrop. Also landing on planets won't affect exploration data in the initial 2.0 release which is odd considering how utterly neglected that part of the game is.

That said it really looks like they've put as much effort into SRV handling as ship handling.

Hylian7

I want to believe, but it seems like they're transferring the tedium of the current space game to a planetary backdrop. Also landing on planets won't affect exploration data in the initial 2.0 release which is odd considering how utterly neglected that part of the game is.

That said it really looks like they've put as much effort into SRV handling as ship handling.

There will be a somewhat repetitive nature to Horizons, that's a given. However having planetary surfaces to land on, there's a lot more procedurally generated possibilities. In space you just have...space, and planets, and stations, etc. These things are there or they aren't. Everything else is mostly events involving other ships being at a specific location.

Planets have more possibilities since actual land can be much different than just empty space. We've seen the canyons, mountains, things like that. We know caves will come eventually, and we'll have base raiding when Horizons comes out. That should add a whole new layer to the game.

The SRV handling looked amazing today though, I am really excited for that. They didn't show it today, but I'm curious how SRV combat will work. You don't have as much space to manuever whichever way you want on the ground, so will non-turreted weapons still be locked forward like for ships? I'm sure gimballed and fixed will still be available for SRVs, but I do have to wonder if gimballed weapons will have a wider field of view. Also fixed might run into some issues since turning SRVs will be a lot slower than ships. Maybe fixed will be replaced to aim wherever you headlook or something like that?

Rank 5 ALD again. Should be an interesting weekend.
Thanks for the info. So since the Apam Napat is not an ALD system, I will be treated as hostile in that system? Or will I just be pestered by non-ALD aligned ships with interdictions? It is Empire controlled but I'm pretty sure it's a different power.
As long as you are aligned with an Imperial faction, you will be neutral to all other imperial factions. So he's, you'll be safe there.

SmartBase

There will be a somewhat repetitive nature to Horizons, that's a given. However having planetary surfaces to land on, there's a lot more procedurally generated possibilities. In space you just have...space, and planets, and stations, etc. These things are there or they aren't. Everything else is mostly events involving other ships being at a specific location.

Planets have more possibilities since actual land can be much different than just empty space. We've seen the canyons, mountains, things like that. We know caves will come eventually, and we'll have base raiding when Horizons comes out. That should add a whole new layer to the game.

The SRV handling looked amazing today though, I am really excited for that. They didn't show it today, but I'm curious how SRV combat will work. You don't have as much space to manuever whichever way you want on the ground, so will non-turreted weapons still be locked forward like for ships? I'm sure gimballed and fixed will still be available for SRVs, but I do have to wonder if gimballed weapons will have a wider field of view. Also fixed might run into some issues since turning SRVs will be a lot slower than ships. Maybe fixed will be replaced to aim wherever you headlook or something like that?

That's the thing, on planets we'll have land, points of interest and outposts instead of empty space, signal sources and stations. Besides the addition of being able to raid bases the template is fairly standard with what we have so far. I still want them to use these landings to enhance exploration though, it's the main reason I haven't taken another point and scan trip out there.

Crafting might be wild card here, maybe planets will have exclusive resources to make those new goodies.

Burny

Crafting might be wild card here, maybe planets will have exclusive resources to make those new goodies.

That's what they hinted at. But crafting won't be in the initial Horizons release either. They tentatively mentioned 2016-Q1 for crafting when Horizons was announced iirc.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Haven't played since before this factions stuff went live. Never should have "upgraded" to that fat boring Python. Hoping to hop back with the expansion though.

Pomerlaw

Driving the SRV looks even more fun than flying the ships. I didn't think this was possible, since they really nailed the flight model imo.

Haven't played since before this factions stuff went live. Never should have "upgraded" to that fat boring Python. Hoping to hop back with the expansion though.

Python is pretty fat and pretty boring. There really aren't any exciting "big" ships, however. They all get fatter and slower the bigger they are. Might want to try a clipper? Big and heavy but it's the second fastest ship in the game when boosting. Federal Assault ship and Gunship are also heavy ships but with better flight characteristics than the Python and Clipper not to mention far superior weapons conversion. Plus hull-tanking is much more fun and intense than the SCB meta.

I'd highly recommend either.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Driving the SRV looks even more fun than flying the ships. I didn't think this was possible, since they really nailed the flight model imo.

Yep, it does look incredibly fun.

Anyone remember the old space RPG called Starflight? I played the shit out of that game on my C64. In Starflight you would land your ship on a planet's surface and then use a rover to roam around the planet collecting resources, taking life samples, and avoiding hazards like storms and stuff. I kind of hope they turn Horizons into a modern 3D version of that eventually, where you can drive around the surface and your ground radar detects ores / bases / wreckage / etc that you can drive to and collect / investigate. So far it kind of seems like something similar to that, which would be AWESOME.

I'd also love to see some kind of rover CQC mode, where you can race on procedurally generated terrain for credits and rank. That could be a lot of fun too.

Dev update is out.

Hi everyone,

Fantasticon is taking place this weekend and I will be there on the Saturday, so if you’re there feel free to say ‘Hello’!

The exploration issues from the 1.4 release should have now be fixed, however if you still have missing data then raise a support ticket (https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/) which as much information as you can provide and we’ll look into it further. As I type this we’re reviewing some of the tickets already raised to determine what’s going on.

We’ve talked about some of the key features coming in the forthcoming Horizons Planetary Landings release and this week I’d like to take a little step back to look at the flow of some of those changes. The most obvious addition is the ability to fly down and drive on the surfaces of airless worlds. This obviously requires some changes to how space flight is handled.

In the game currently supercruise ends with a hard wall when you get too close to a planet. If you have Horizons then your ships will automatically be assigned a module that enables the ship to operate at orbital heights down to the surface in what we’re calling Orbital Cruise. With this module you will transition into orbital flight when you reach the appropriate altitude.

The ship handles a little differently in orbital flight. They key difference is that if you fly within orbital parameters (essentially perpendicular to the surface) you will travel faster and provides a mechanism for moving quickly around the planet. This is also highlighted in the UI by showing the sweet spot on your pitch control. Below orbital cruise you enter into surface flight and the controls change again to reflect the flight model operating within gravity and your thrusters compensating for you flight close to the surface.

As well as handling differences (and high gravity worlds feel different to fly on compared to low gravity worlds) the flight UI has been updated to provide the pertinent information you need when flying near the surface like altitude, pitch and so forth. We’ll show more on this in the coming weeks, but for this week I just wanted to establish the different zones that you can be in and how that affects you while playing.

This is especially pertinent in multiplayer and wings, as you can now be operating across very different environments, but you will have a need to support each other between these environments. It’s also key that transitioning between these is a seamless experience.

One of our favourite examples of mixing these is ‘combined arms’ operations. When operating near a planet the ships have different advantages and disadvantages to the SRVs and combining them together can make operations more effective. We’ll be talking about settlements next week, so we’ll see a little more detail on that then, but in essence different types of base defences can be more effective against ships or against SRVs, so combining the forces in an attack can make it much more likely to succeed.

Naturally you can use the same tactics in single player by landing and deploying the SRV as needed. If you drive too far away then you can call your ship to your location, although you do need to make sure that there’s a suitable landing location (so not too rocky for example) and no anti-ship defences nearby!

This week we have released client updates for Xbox One and PC/Mac. There does still appear to be an issue with some mining transactions which we are investigating.

With the rapid churn of new features and changes since release we haven’t been able to keep localised languages as up to date as we’d like. For 1.5 and the Horizons planetary landing release we’re aiming to get completely caught up with missing translations and start working with the feedback that we’ve received to improve the translations in game.

It’s great fun playing these new additions and we look forward to sharing them with you soon :)

Thanks

Michael

-If you have Horizons, ship automatically has a module that allows the ship to get close to a planet/orbital cruise (transition to orbital flight when you reach the proper altitude)
-Ships handle different in Orbital Cruise: flying perpendicular to surface of planet allows you to travel faster and quickly move around planet (UI helps to indicate where this "sweet spot" is)
-Below Orbital Cruise is "surface flight" and controls change again to reflect the different flight model/use of thrusters when very close to surface
-Gravity influences flight handling
-Flight UI tells altitude, pitch, etc. (showing more in coming weeks)
-Different flight/handling models at different levels provide interesting "combined arms" situations in MP/Wings: different types of base defenses can be more or less effective vs ships vs SRVs, so you need to select the right tools for the job, so to speak, when raiding
-Settlements will be detailed next week!!!

Excited for news on settlements but really wanting to see how this whole Orbital Cruise/landing transition is handled. They're not doing a great job of making it sound "seamless".

Sigh. I wish there were more paintjobs like these:

Faction/Power color schemes are another thing I'd love to see, too.

Not directly related to ED, but as that's another Frontier team, maybe they'll be able to reuse the crowd tech from Planet Coaster when they get around to implement things with NPCs in Elite:

Planet Coaster crowds

Very cool--I'd have to think this kind of tech would be used by FD to create the entirely populated/civilized worlds that they want. That + their LOD tech, of course.

derFeef

Since my HOTAS broke I tried with a XBO pad and it works pretty well, although I need to find a setting that let's me roll and yaw individually and still have the h&v thrusters.

derFeef

X52. First the resting switch/button on the joystick broke and then it got more and more wobbly. I tried fixing it with the CD trick but it just feels off. That's what you get if you want to save money ;)
I am enjoying the pick up and play I can do with the gamepad I have to say, I do not feel gimped expect the thrusters problem. The Xbox One Elite controller (heh) could solve that problem with the additional switches and buttons.

Burny

X52. First the resting switch/button on the joystick broke and then it got more and more wobbly. I tried fixing it with the CD trick but it just feels off. That's what you get if you want to save money ;)

Heh, tell me about it. Although spending 175€ on a X52 Pro in my case is not what I consider saving money. It worked perfectly but in the end, the sum of minor design and software issues made me sell it again. Seriously, why the heck does Saitek put switches on the stick's base - and they're doing it again on their Star Citizen HOTAS prototype. Unfortunately, the next better options - Thrustmaster Warthog and CH products HOTAS -are far less gentle on the pocket, being both in the 300€ range here. Which is not the final price, as you need a set of pedals to even get the same range of useful analogue axis. Still waitig for my MfG crosswinds...

On another note: anybody else considering picking up Planet Cosster? I've never had the Rollercoaster games myself, but remember good times playing one at a friend's back in the day...

pottuvoi

Banned
I think this warrants a double post. ;-)

Driving on lifeless planets gets a lot more dramatic, when you're under fire and ships pass over you. NEW SNEEK PEAK!
That looks a lot like Interstate76.
Actually would love the 'tell me a poem' option for Elite.

Certainly will be fun to see a big ship hover high up and those nice plasma or cannon shots start raining..

derFeef

Heh, tell me about it. Although spending 175€ on a X52 Pro in my case is not what I consider saving money. It worked perfectly but in the end, the sum of minor design and software issues made me sell it again. Seriously, why the heck does Saitek put switches on the stick's base - and they're doing it again on their Star Citizen HOTAS prototype. Unfortunately, the next better options - Thrustmaster Warthog and CH products HOTAS -are far less gentle on the pocket, being both in the 300€ range here. Which is not the final price, as you need a set of pedals to even get the same range of useful analogue axis. Still waitig for my MfG crosswinds...

On another note: anybody else considering picking up Planet Cosster? I've never had the Rollercoaster games myself, but remember good times playing one at a friend's back in the day...

Ah, it's not the Pro, the cheaper one. So the Pro isn't all the better then... I am also baffled by the fact that the Warthog (Or another expensive one) does not have roll on the stick ("buy our paddles!!").

DAT SNEEK PEAK!

Must not...create...new thread...

EDIT: Also, did some undermining for ALD last night. Didn't realize that you get 30 merits per kill now! I thought it used to be 15 per...

Anyway, made it pretty easy to get over 100 to hit the first tier of bounty bonuses. Kumo Crew in Kappa didn't stand a chance...except for the ones that almost killed me...fucking Elite ranked Asps. I was glad to hightail it outta there once I got what I came for, but I suppose I'll need to maintain this every week now.

EDIT 2: If I'm in a Wing and we interdict/undermine other ships, do we both receive 30 merits, or do merits get split?

Bumping for Newsletter!

COMBAT STREAM NEXT WEEK AAAAAH

On Wednesday's livestream we showed off the handling and controls of the SRV, teasing what's to come as part of Elite Dangerous: Horizons. Earlier today, David Braben leaked another sneak peek at SRV gameplay, with this action-packed sequence showing the beginnings of a base approach.

We've got so much more to show you, so we're continuing the Elite Dangerous: Horizons series of livestreams with "Exploring the Unknown".

Tune in to our official YouTube channel at 7PM GMT on Tuesday October 27, to watch Edward Lewis, Michael Brookes and other guests give you a further look at a live build of Elite Dangerous: Horizons, showing combat on the planet surfaces for the first time.!

Gold Anaconda now available, too!

f3cc07ae-f83a-4ade-a3fc-35515944961d.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oooohhh, there is a new trading / mining CG to build a new station down in the Pleiades Nebula! That was the first nebula I explored in Elite.

For the past few months, a development group founded by the Explorer's Association has been working on plans to build a starport in the Pleiades Nebula. Now, it appears the plans are about to become reality. A spokesperson from the Explorer's Association made the following statement:

"A starport in the Pleiades Nebula would be of tremendous value to pilots, serving as a reliable resupply point and sanctuary in the depths of space. But breaking into deep space is always costly, not to mention potentially dangerous. Fortunately we have received generous support from the Brewer Corporation, Pacap Limited and Universal Cartographics, and are now in a position to begin construction. The first phase of the project involves collecting the necessary materials to create the starport superstructure, and to this end we are willing to offer generous premiums to pilots delivering metals to Neville Horizons, our base of operations. I encourage all those with an interest in exploration to join this exciting project, and contribute to the next phase of humankind's expansion."

One of the pilots involved in the programme was quoted as saying:

"Hopefully, getting a station farther out into uninhabited space will be the first step towards human expansion out into the wider reaches of the galaxy."
Pilots who wish to contribute to the campaign should deliver metals to Neville Horizons in the Kaushpoos system.

I think I'll do some mining this weekend and sell all of my ores to Neville Station for this!

Oooohhh, there is a new trading / mining CG to build a new station down in the Pleiades Nebula! That was the first nebula I explored in Elite.

I think I'll do some mining this weekend and sell all of my ores to Neville Station for this!

Posted this in the other thread:

Speaking of Thargoids--Unknown (alien) Artifacts are spawning in a 130-150 ly-wide circle around Merope.

BipVApK.png

And guess where Merope is located? Right in the Pleiades Nebula :)

FD laying the groundwork for some Thargoid contact...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom