• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

I think this warrants a double post. ;-)

Driving on lifeless planets gets a lot more dramatic, when you're under fire and ships pass over you. NEW SNEEK PEAK!

This got me to finally put in my preorder for Horizons. Glad for the discount as well. Seeing this in action is what I finally needed. Now to wait for it to release. The next live stream is going to be a lot of fun.

qOgrSzf.jpg

15tsuXy.jpg

zVJg4r1.png

LInOohA.png

Jkk0QZd.png

i might have to jump anyway, boys.

edit: yeaaaaaa.

Wasn't it an Anaconda? I think the Corvette should be bigger, especially on the ''reactor'' sides

Obsidian Ant just released a "ships in 1.5" vid and he posits that the corvette is 30% larger than the Anaconda, based on hard point size/scale.

However, it does seem to be smaller to my eyes and some people on reddit think he might be wrong, too.

fred

Note to self: Next time you get a text just as you're coming out of hyperspace DON'T CHECK YOUR BLOODY PHONE!!!

Got a few scorch marks on my new ship lmfao

Hylian7

oh forgot to mention last week.

long road was long. rip to all the CMDRs and NPCs that stood in my way. assets and cash on hand now total...$1.7 billion and counting. also, trade rank is up to Tycoon now. King and Admiral.

Congrats, enjoy Founder's World!

Also, is there a way to keep your HUD color across updates? The last time I changed my HUD color, it was wiped back to default on next patch, so I figured it wasn't worth bothering with anymore.

SmartBase

oh forgot to mention last week.

long road was long. rip to all the CMDRs and NPCs that stood in my way. assets and cash on hand now total...$1.7 billion and counting. also, trade rank is up to Tycoon now. King and Admiral.

They still haven't fixed the 'conda radar, damn. Oh, last week, nvm.

Congrats.

Mik2121

I'm correct in assuming that since I own the Premium Beta for ED, I will get Horizons for free, right? I haven't played the game much recently but every now and then I feel like jumping back to it.

With Horizons, it gives me more reasons to go back... also now seeing that GAF has their own faction and all, I will try to get my terrible ship and make my way over there. I think I'm still mighty poor in the game (also all my HOTAS setup is gone, have to do it all again and can't even remember how I did it...)

StonedRider

Also, is there a way to keep your HUD color across updates? The last time I changed my HUD color, it was wiped back to default on next patch, so I figured it wasn't worth bothering with anymore.

You should make changes in the file C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics\GraphicsConfigurationOveride.xml, the game will use HUD colors configuration from there.

DrBo42

I'm correct in assuming that since I own the Premium Beta for ED, I will get Horizons for free, right? I haven't played the game much recently but every now and then I feel like jumping back to it.

With Horizons, it gives me more reasons to go back... also now seeing that GAF has their own faction and all, I will try to get my terrible ship and make my way over there. I think I'm still mighty poor in the game (also all my HOTAS setup is gone, have to do it all again and can't even remember how I did it...)

Yep.

fred

This game is every bit as good as I thought it would be. I must have put in over a thousand hours into the original game, I've been going back to playing it every couple of years or so ever since I discovered Speccy emulators donkey's years ago.

The only downside to the new game compared to the original is that docking is WAAAAAY too easy. The space stations in the original game used to spin MUCH more quickly.

Everything else though is so much better. The added mission system, the addition of political factions, the addition of silent running to aid smuggling and having different types of stations to land on/in.

I think I've put in around 60 hours or so into the game so far already (difficult to tell exactly because I don't tend to pause the game whilst cooking/eating/going to the loo, I just leave my ship docked in a port.

I really can't wait to see how this looks in VR, am getting an Oculus Rift in November next year hopefully.

The original Elite has been knocked down to second place in my All Time Best Games Of All Time list, with Elite Dangerous taking the top spot.

Brilliant.

Hylian7

You should make changes in the file C:Users[username]AppDataLocalFrontier DevelopmentsElite DangerousOptionsGraphicsGraphicsConfigurationOveride.xml, the game will use HUD colors configuration from there.
Okay, I think last time I may have changed it in the game folder.

If the Corvette release is on the horizon (ehhhh? Get it?), I need to decide if the big bucks I am working on will go toward an Anaconda or Corvette. Then again, with Rank 5 ALD I might be able so swing both.

I'd like to skip the Anaconda and go with a corvette when it's available but even with closing in a half billion in assets, I'm afraid to invest in either until I have more. Also I want to keep my FDL which is tying up 85+ million credits.

Anyone come across this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgo831-1DU

Father playing the game with his two daughters. Smiled the entire time. Also his setup is amazing.

Incredible. I get the issues people have with the game but there is nothing else out there that comes close to capturing that sense of travelling in the vastness of space.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Anyone come across this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgo831-1DU

Father playing the game with his two daughters. Smiled the entire time. Also his setup is amazing.

O M G !!!!!! That....that is glorious. I need to research this simpit thing right now. To me this is 10000% times better than any VR helmet will ever be, it's practically an Elite Planetarium! Imagine that setup with FSX, or DiRT Rally!!! O_O

I need to find out what that costs.....

Okay, here is a vid of him setting the screen wrap up, this takes a bit of effort to get working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHMXsjsScD4

I admire his dedication to simulation, and man am I super jealous. I'd love to have a setup like this, but I don't even know where I'd put it in the house, lol.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Any pristine rings in the Apam Napat area?

I searched a couple dozen systems around Apam Napat, haven't found a pristine system nearby yet.

Speaking of mining, I did some mining last night for that Neville Horizons CG for the station in the Pleiades Nebula (wow is it busy with CMDR's in the Kaushpoos system), and I've come to a realization that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with:

I really enjoy mining since the drone changes.

I mean, I really find it fun to mine now. And it doesn't make terrible money either, it's still not as much as bounty hunting or hardcore trading will make but it's not terribly less like it used to be. More than that though with the changes to the prospector drones I actually find it enjoyable running around planetary rings hunting for good asteroids to carve up.

DrBo42

I searched a couple dozen systems around Apam Napat, haven't found a pristine system nearby yet.

Speaking of mining, I did some mining last night for that Neville Horizons CG for the station in the Pleiades Nebula (wow is it busy with CMDR's in the Kaushpoos system), and I've come to a realization that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with:

I really enjoy mining since the drone changes.

I mean, I really find it fun to mine now. And it doesn't make terrible money either, it's still not as much as bounty hunting or hardcore trading will make but it's not terribly less like it used to be. More than that though with the changes to the prospector drones I actually find it enjoyable running around planetary rings hunting for good asteroids to carve up.

Yeah it feels good now. Shame they fucked it up making you have to babysit your refinery bins after their patchwork fix of the transaction crashing.

I've been hearing so many good things about mining now that I may actually have to give it a try when I get back to civilization. Maybe outfit a T9 for it, try on those big boy pants for the first time.

Wreav

Banned
I've been hearing so many good things about mining now that I may actually have to give it a try when I get back to civilization. Maybe outfit a T9 for it, try on those big boy pants for the first time.
I'm mining for the first time ever in a T7. The money/hr is pretty crummy, but it's a change of pace for sure and very relaxing.

Mik2121

I just made my trip from SOL to Apam Napat. I'm still poor and just own a Hauler so I wonder if I'll be able to make money and do well around this system. I like that it's a massive system so I should be able to do quite a few things!

I'm mining for the first time ever in a T7. The money/hr is pretty crummy, but it's a change of pace for sure and very relaxing.
Ha, no worries there--after bounty hunting enough for my exploration Asp, I've done nothing but explore, which earns the worst money/hr of all the occupations. The relaxation is part of the enjoyment I get out of exploration, so that sounds like a good deal for me.

My most recent carbon star just broke the UC record for an S-class star with the most bodies at 39. One of them is a class IV giant whose axial tilt is 86°, so its dense rocky rings face the giant star almost directly. It's pretty intense:

Burny

The original Elite has been knocked down to second place in my All Time Best Games Of All Time list, with Elite Dangerous taking the top spot.

Brilliant.

It's refreshing to see somebody who played and liked the original Elite enjoying ED for a change. ^^

If I were to listen to some people on the official forums and around the net, this game should be a complete turd (there is more than enough justified criticisms of course). Multiplayer and *gasp* guilds not in the spirit of the original Elite here, CQC a kiddy console pew pew minigame there, SRV driving will of course also be a mario kart driving kiddy console minigame. Trollolol etc..

The first couple of pages of the thread "David Braben is totally failing to kickstart Elite" also make for an entertaining read in retrospect. From the general gist of the comments, the Kickstarter campaign initially was apparently inadequat, but the game has certainly come a long way since.

fred

It's refreshing to see somebody who played and liked the original Elite enjoying ED for a change. ^^

If I were to listen to some people on the official forums and around the net, this game should be a complete turd (there more than enough justified criticisms of course). Multiplayer and *gasp* guilds not in the spirit of the original Elite here, CQC a kiddy console pew pew minigame there, SRV driving will of course also be a mario kart driving kiddy console minigame. Trollolol etc..

The first couple of pages of the thread "David Braben is totally failing to kickstart Elite" also make for an entertaining read in retrospect. From the general gist of the comments, the Kickstarter campaign initially was apparently inadequat, but the game has certainly come a long way since.

I can't see how anyone that's played the original game can have any complaints tbh. If you want the complete gameplay experience from the original game all you need to do is ignore the added new features and play the game in the same style.

Just sold my Hauler and bought an Adder and it's a great piece of kit :Oo

It's a bit weird though because it looks more like a Cobra from the original game.

Going to kick some pirate arse as soon as United vs City match is over :D

fanboi

Banned
After seeing all the new added gameplay options I am really looking forward to playing again... haven't played since launch almost and haven't touched wings.

Pomerlaw

Ha, no worries there--after bounty hunting enough for my exploration Asp, I've done nothing but explore, which earns the worst money/hr of all the occupations. The relaxation is part of the enjoyment I get out of exploration, so that sounds like a good deal for me.

My most recent carbon star just broke the UC record for an S-class star with the most bodies at 39. One of them is a class IV giant whose axial tilt is 86°, so its dense rocky rings face the giant star almost directly. It's pretty intense:

Amazing pics man! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom