• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tips to any newbs/anyone looking to make easy million+: participate in the "Among the Stars" Community Goal.

It's only at Tier 4 out of 8 and already you can earn 1.5mil credits JUST for participating (that is, opting into the CG and dropping off some metal at Neville Horizons station in Kaushpoos.

Nice. Time to make my first million, boys!
bts_lina.gif

Serrato

So, I intend to start doing some power play but so far the info in-game doesn't really explain how it works. Is there a guide or can someone summarize it?

I'd like to skip the Anaconda and go with a corvette when it's available but even with closing in a half billion in assets, I'm afraid to invest in either until I have more. Also I want to keep my FDL which is tying up 85+ million credits.

You realize you can sell all parts back at 100% of the purchase price, right? At worst, you lose 10% of what you paid for the base ship. So maybe $14 mill lost on an Anaconda? You make that up in about 2 hours RES hunting. And it gives you the opportunity to get used to big ships.

So, I intend to start doing some power play but so far the info in-game doesn't really explain how it works. Is there a guide or can someone summarize it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcL8qEGg7Q

You realize you can sell all parts back at 100% of the purchase price, right? At worst, you lose 10% of what you paid for the base ship. So maybe $14 mill lost on an Anaconda? You make that up in about 2 hours RES hunting. And it gives you the opportunity to get used to big ships.

I thought they patched it a few months ago so that parts don't sell back at 100% anymore?

The backlash made them backtrack.
And that's why I love Frontier.

Amazing pics man! Congrats!
Thanks man! That's the 4th record for this trip I think. Off the top of my head I've also found the coldest white dwarf and the closest CN-type carbon star to Sol (which is still quite a long way out at 7k Ly, but the current record is some 13k Ly, so that's a considerable improvement). What started out as an hour-long trip to a black hole yesterday turned into a 10-hour giant star hunt--got quite a few nice shots from that. And they're actually more common than I thought--9 normal M and K giants, and one bright K giant, all in the same sector, all 100-200Ly apart. I couldn't believe it--I must have been missing so many of them on my past travels. Discovered a fool-proof method for identifying them in the galactic background and locating them on the galaxy map (involving orienting the map such that navigation markers overlap, mimicking the in-flight perspective toward a targeted system to home in on the suspect body), so the hunt is now on for my first undiscovered supergiant, and without anywhere near as much pure dumb luck as I'd have needed before.

The best thing about those giants is fuel-scooping them at 15-20x the speed of light. It's so fast and LOUD and just straight up violent. Love it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Do it! Hit tier 5, the min reward is now 2 mil.

Yep. I'm up into the 70% bracket now just by pure mining alone and that bracket is up to $4 million payout. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to the next bracket mining but I'm going to try my best!

Mik2121

Do it! Hit tier 5, the min reward is now 2 mil.

So how does this work?
I already got myself on the 100% bracket and got 2mil secured. It says something like 2 days left, does that mean that in 2 days it goes into tier 6 and I get my 2mil + the tier 6 money if I help again, or it will transfer and I will get my money when all is over?

Yep. I'm up into the 70% bracket now just by pure mining alone and that bracket is up to $4 million payout. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to the next bracket mining but I'm going to try my best!

Nice! I only have a Cobra, so not sure if I can even make it to the next tiers, but gonna give it a shot. 2 mil is at least enough to get fully kitted :D

So how does this work?
I already got myself on the 100% bracket and got 2mil secured. It says something like 2 days left, does that mean that in 2 days it goes into tier 6 and I get my 2mil + the tier 6 money if I help again, or it will transfer and I will get my money when all is over?

The time left is the amount of time we have before the CG is over--so when it ends, everyone gets their payout from Neville Horizons station.

However, it CAN end earlier if all the tiers are hit prior to the deadline; sometimes, though, Frontier adds additional tiers. Not sure how that works, exactly, but either way, you're good.

Basically, once the CG has ended (either by hitting the highest tier or hitting the deadline), pick up your dough from Neville Horizons. It's almost guaranteed to be over 2 million, too, because they usually add in a little "goal completed" bonus, too.

Mik2121

Nice! I only have a Cobra, so not sure if I can even make it to the next tiers, but gonna give it a shot. 2 mil is at least enough to get fully kitted :D

The time left is the amount of time we have before the CG is over--so when it ends, everyone gets their payout from Neville Horizons station.

However, it CAN end earlier if all the tiers are hit prior to the deadline; sometimes, though, Frontier adds additional tiers. Not sure how that works, exactly, but either way, you're good.

Basically, once the CG has ended (either by hitting the highest tier or hitting the deadline), pick up your dough from Neville Horizons. It's almost guaranteed to be over 2 million, too, because they usually add in a little "goal completed" bonus, too.

Nice. So this means if I stay around, I should get at the very least the money available for the 100% bracket for all the tiers left? Or this is it?

Nice. So this means if I stay around, I should get at the very least the money available for the 100% bracket for all the tiers left? Or this is it?

Correct--you can't "drop out" of a Community Goal once you're already in it. You can try to get into a higher tier, or you can just wait it out :D

fred

Commander Arv 18 - 4 Space Pirates

And 3 of those defeats were when I had my crappy Sidewinder.

Got 378,197 credits worth of assets now and 170,937 credits in the bank. Combat Rank - Harmless, Trade Rank - Peddlar and Explorer Rank - Aimless.

Have been mostly staying in the same area of space that you start off in, time for me to spread my wings a bit as soon as I finish my two missions I have on the go.

Found a great bug too, found myself a pirate and battered his shields. Then I started work on his ship...except once I got his ship's health down to 0% the bugger didn't blow up. He was flying around taking evasive action but not returning fire. I even tried ramming him a couple of times but no dice lol. Just ended up supercruising out of there in the end lmfao.

I'm very impressed with how few bugs there are so far, have seen a few but they've just been Class C bugs and haven't managed to crash it yet. Hats off to the QA staff, because I know from experience that games like this are an absolute nightmare to test.

Ah well, my Joystick, the Fly 5, just died as in the Z-Rotation is doing crazy stuff. Amazon can't replace it because they are out of stock. Ordered a X52Pro now. HAHA. I expect a major improvement now :D

Mengy

Have been mostly staying in the same area of space that you start off in, time for me to spread my wings a bit as soon as I finish my two missions I have on the go.

Time to spread your wings. I started out in LHS 3447 on release day, man I remember the first moment I took my starting sidewinder out, the game seemed so huge. I stayed real close to that system for quite awhile, almost afraid to get too deep out into the stars for fear of never finding my way back again. Now I go thousands of light years away just for joyrides!

Wreav

Banned
Time to spread your wings. I started out in LHS 3447 on release day, man I remember the first moment I took my starting sidewinder out, the game seemed so huge. I stayed real close to that system for quite awhile, almost afraid to get too deep out into the stars for fear of never finding my way back again. Now I go thousands of light years away just for joyrides!

You sound like Mark Watney =)

fred

Just seen Lave on the Galaxy Map, my next stop after I've finished my current mission. Back to where it all REALLY began!

Just picked a fight with 4 pirates, didn't realise they were all pirates at the time though...won't be doing that again lmfao

Hylian7

I'm in the process of grinding merits to make it to rank 5 for Arissa Lavigny-Duval. I'm playing in Open Play and interdicted a poor harmless Cobra CMDR that was working for Felicia Winters. I told him "Nothing personal, but you're working for Winters" and killed him in about 5 seconds. Poor guy.

Mengy

Nice, got promoted to the rank of Ranger for exploration tonight:

Happened while looking for pristine metallic rings near Kaushpoos. I think I'm only two or three ranks away from Elite Explorer now!

fred

Woo hoo! Just got my combat rank up from Harmless to Mostly Harmless. Only a matter of time before I'm Elite now lololol

Good news: I got my supergiant! Another record, largest A-class recorded at 499.7 solar radii.

Bad news: I alt-tabbed to look at screenshots while charging my FSD at partial throttle so I could blip the throttle and be on my way real quick when I came back. I was over 2,000 light-seconds from the star, facing away from it toward empty space... what could go wrong? When I came back, I saw that even at that long distance, I was just sitting there cooking! 170%+ heat, cargo hatch had malfunctioned and jettisoned my 4 large data caches, power plant took a beating... luckily I escaped with my life. Ship's not looking its best, and I travel with no AFMUs. Party's over. Time to limp home.

Star was worth it though. Absolutely enormous, brightest thing I've ever seen in the game. Detailed surface scanner picked it up at over 44,000 Ls away when I jumped in next to the Wolf-Rayet host. That "small" star in the 2nd shot is an O-class much larger than our sun, and about 10 times closer than the supergiant. At that point I'm 5 times farther away from the supergiant than Earth is from the sun. Biggest star I've seen so far, as I haven't yet stopped by VY Canis Majoris.

Burny

Has anybody had a look at the Infinity: Battlescape kickstarter?

If I had to describe the concept in one sentence, I would say it's a solar-system spanning multiplayer team warfare spaceflight game. What's interesting here are the seemless transitions from space to ground level on planets as well as the inclusion of large ships. It's distinct from Elite and Star Citizen, as it's not trying to become an MMO with semi persistence (player build infrastructure) only a stretch goal.

I've pledged to beta level and I'm hoping this will get funded. There's a couple of concepts in there, that I'd also like to see explored in Elite at some point (specifically, large, cruiser level space craft and transports from ground level to orbit).

SmartBase

Has anybody had a look at the Infinity: Batlescale kickstarter?

If I had to describe the concept in one sentence, I would say it's a solar-system spanning multiplayer team warfare spaceflight game. What's interesting here are the seemless transitions from space to ground level on planets as well as the inclusion of large ships. It's distinct from Elite and Star Citizen, as it's not trying to become an MMO with semi persistence (player build infrastructure) only a stretch goal.

I've pledged to beta level and I'm hoping this will get funded. There's a couple of concepts in there, that I'd also like to see explored in Elite at some point (specifically, large, cruiser level space craft and transports from ground level to orbit).

I saw this a few years ago when it went by another name (I think it was meant to be an MMO?) and the technology behind it still looks really nice, especially the lack of obvious travel transitions. Not quite my cup of tea with the focus on multiplayer but impressive nonetheless.

That's the one thing I want in Elite to improve immersion, for Frontier to significantly cut down on the supercruise load times.

Burny

I saw this a few years ago when it went by another name (I think it was meant to be an MMO?) and the technology behind it still looks really nice, especially the lack of obvious travel transitions. Not quite my cup of tea with the focus on multiplayer but impressive nonetheless..

It was apparently planned to take shape as an MMO called "Infinity: The Quest for Earth", but that concept was never turned into a game. Battlescape seems to be a way to use the engine in a project of a more manageable scale for them.

Edit:

That's the one thing I want in Elite to improve immersion, for Frontier to significantly cut down on the supercruise load times.
That'd be nice, but I have little hope there. Dropping out of or jumping into supercruise essentially masks loading of an instanced area with who knows what kind of data synchronisation via internet from other palyers or backend servers. As soon as the internet is involved, there is an uncontrollable variable, which may almost arbitrarily delay things. :-/ The orbital cruise mode coming in Horizons sounds like another instancing step. I'm still curious to see how seemless it'll be (as they've promised it will be). You drop from supercruise into orbital cruise, but are you then in the same instance as anybody on the ground or in orbit on the other side of the planet? Can you move seemlessly then from the outer orbit to ground level? Or is there a kind of POI concept, the same as signal sources/CZ in supercruise or RES in a planet's rings?

SmartBase

It was apparently planned to take shape as an MMO called "Infinity: The Quest for Earth", but that concept was never turned into a game. Battlescape seems to be a way to use the engine in a project of a more manageable scale for them.

Edit:

That'd be nice, but I have little hope there. Dropping out of or jumping into supercruise essentially masks loading of an instanced area with who knows what kind of data synchronisation via internet from other palyers or backend servers. As soon as the internet is involved, there is an uncontrollable variable, which may almost arbitrarily delay things. :-/ The orbital cruise mode coming in Horizons sounds like another instancing step. I'm still curious to see how seemless it'll be (as they've promised it will be). You drop from supercruise into orbital cruise, but are you then in the same instance as anybody on the ground or in orbit on the other side of the planet? Can you move seemlessly then from the outer orbit to ground level? Or is there a kind of POI concept, the same as signal sources/CZ in supercruise or RES in a planet's rings?

Well what can I say, I'm a hopeless closet optimist. That offline singleplayer mode would've been nice though.

Edit:

I'm excited for another space sim, but both SC and ED have taught me to be cautious and not get overhyped based on great videos or concepts.

And yeah, I really wish the transitions in ED were smoother. I was watching an old dev diary video from Frontier and one of the guys talks about how cool it's going to be when you drop into an Anarchy system, because there will be battles going on around you that you have to avoid as you fly through the system :(

StonedRider

I am currently on my way to Galaxy center, started the journey hyped after Horizons announcement.

This is my second distant journey - I turned back after about 5000 ly last time, but this time I aim to complete my piligrimage, no matter how much time it will take.

I do not hunt for any particular stars, black holes or neutrons, just plot my course and hope for interesting systems on my way. Found a bunch of terraforming candidates and Earth-like so far. Last time I manually chose next star every jump. But it takes so much time and more suitable for dedicated short exploration trips IMO, not for distant journey like this.

Btw, travelling with EDDiscovery is so much more convenient, kudos to you, Funky Functionality, for the info about this useful tool.

Btw, travelling with EDDiscovery is so much more convenient, kudos to you, Funky Functionality, for the info about this useful tool.
Glad someone else here is getting some use out of it! I just love it. Having a searchable, auto-generated database of all your previous travels is one thing the exploration side of E:D sorely lacks. Seems like it wouldn't be difficult at all for FD to whip up an in-game Universal Cartographics console that could be turned on or off (which would essentially be a "verboselogging" toggle) and would parse the log files in much the same way to give you a searchable list within the ship or galaxy map UI. Even so, it's nice to have a database independent of the game.

Good luck reaching the core!

StonedRider

I miss this feature a lot - ability to view systems I visited on the Galaxy map to track my travels.

Also, FD could issue monthly reports about new systems quantity (star types, planet types, etc) explored by players and prepare 3D maps of visited systems of all time. Or wrap it into some kind of Universal Cartographics console as you said.

Good luck reaching the core!

Thanks! I will need it :)

Mengy

Get dat money! (from reddit--not my screen)

Zs4bMpG.jpg

Yeah, I'm only in the 70% bracket. Mined my ass off last night trying to get to the 40% bracket but still haven't done it, most likely won't now. I have submitted about 900 ores to the CG, all mined, so the breakpoint must be higher than 900t. I'm having a blast mining though.

I think I've decided I'd like to get an Imperial Clipper as my next ship. The Clipper kind of seems like the best next step beyond the Asp, versatile and hard punching but with good cargo space.

I'll get out there to drop off a shipment to feel like I participated, but I have my hands full trying to maintain Rank 5 ALD. shit is time-consuming as hell. Sort of worth I guess? idk. It really limits your ability to play the game the way you want to, but i guess it's just the sacrifice made until I'm sure I have enough to get me in a Corvette AND Cutter, well equipped.

Closing in on $2 billion in cash and assets. Will keep pressing until I get a price idea. M've been told that both ships will probably be the same size as or smaller than the Anaconda, so they may only use the same internal modules that the Conda uses. That would make both much cheaper to outfit than I originally guessed, when I thought both were bigger and would need a new, higher class of internal modules (at 50%-100% higher prices than the Condas).

I guess we'll see, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Burny

Disappointed because of what they didn't show. The teaser last friday made me expect to have a closer look at planetary bases. Instead they focused entirely on the combat mechanics of the SRV on a salvage site defended by four small drones.

• SRV has a "turret mode". When activated, the POV changes to the turret on top and players can aim and shoot, while still maintaining basic driving controls.
  • They showed the first footage of a planet's surface up close from within the ship.
  • The little combat drones patrol areas and attack when they spot an "unfriendly" SRV. maybe even ship?
  • One of the questions they answered: Will there be player storage for modules? They didn't outright say there would be, but they said that with crafting some form of storage will be introduced. That may or may not be for modules from what I gathered.
  • Another question was: Will there be NPC SRVs? The answer was: No. I'm personally disappointed in this, as Elite could do with a lot more NPCs going about their daily business. It looks like the only SRVs on planets and around planetary bases will be player controlled, which makes me wonder how people living in such a base go on their daily business on the surface?
  • The planetoid they showed was the "small" potato-shaped rock from the first Horizons teaser where the camera zoomed from ground level to orbit. They again approached the couple of Anaconda/T9 wreckages on the surface. I was always wondering about those being crashed ships, because I would have expected a ship crashed from orbit to leave little more than a crater and surroundings strewn with tiny torn fragments of the ship. Also the close formation was suspicious. The narration behind it apparently is, that this is an illegal salvage operation, which explains why the ships were put there more or less intact. This gives a hint at the surface salvage missions we can expect as a player: In this case, the player collected a black box lying in front of one of the ships.
  • I don't know if the collection mechanic is WIP, but it looks like there's a "collecting rectangle" just as when scooping up cargo in a ship that helps you take aim at containers on the surface. Whe the player drove across the container, it was automatically collected.
  • Driving around T9 and Anaconda wreckages provides a great sense of scale. The T9 engines are huge when you approach with a SRV that is at best ~3-4m tall from ground to the top of its turret.
  • There was also a more decomposed wreckage or parts of it, but unfortunately the level of detail of those assets is far below that of the intact wreckages, which are basically entire ship models, as they would appear when you're flying them.

SmartBase

By the looks of things I better get good at aiming with the Pro Throttle's analogue stick otherwise I'm screwed in any kind of SRV combat.

I also always imagined you had to manually and constantly use your thrusters to maintain altitude but in the video it looks like the ship does it automatically.

Disappointed because of what they didn't show. The teaser last friday made me expect to have a closer look at planetary bases. Instead they focused entirely on the combat mechanics of the SRV on a salvage site defended by four small drones.

• SRV has a "turret mode". When activated, the POV changes to the turret on top and players can aim and shoot, while still maintaining basic driving controls.
  • They showed the first footage of a planet's surface up close from within the ship.
  • The little combat drones patrol areas and attack when they spot an "unfriendly" SRV. maybe even ship?
  • One of the questions they answered: Will there be player storage for modules? They didn't outright say there would be, but they said that with crafting some form of storage will be introduced. That may or may not be for modules from what I gathered.
  • Another question was: Will there be NPC SRVs? The answer was: No. I'm personally disappointed in this, as Elite could do with a lot more NPCs going about their daily business. It looks like the only SRVs on planets and around planetary bases will be player controlled, which makes me wonder how people living in such a base go on their daily business on the surface?
  • The planetoid they showed was the "small" potato-shaped rock from the first Horizons teaser where the camera zoomed from ground level to orbit. They again approached the couple of Anaconda/T9 wreckages on the surface. I was always wondering about those being crashed ships, because I would have expected a ship crashed from orbit to leave little more than a crater and surroundings strewn with tiny torn fragments of the ship. Also the close formation was suspicious. The narration behind it apparently is, that this is an illegal salvage operation, which explains why the ships were put there more or less intact. This gives a hint at the surface salvage missions we can expect as a player: In this case, the player collected a black box lying in front of one of the ships.
  • I don't know if the collection mechanic is WIP, but it looks like there's a "collecting rectangle" just as when scooping up cargo in a ship that helps you take aim at containers on the surface. Whe the player drove across the container, it was automatically collected.
  • Driving around T9 and Anaconda wreckages provides a great sense of scale. The T9 engines are huge when you approach with a SRV that is at best ~3-4m tall from ground to the top of its turret.
  • There was also a more decomposed wreckage or parts of it, but unfortunately the level of detail of those assets is far below that of the intact wreckages, which are basically entire ship models, as they would appear when you're flying them.

Would've liked to see a functioning base or two as well since what they showed was basically just a planetside signal source.

Burny

By the looks of things I better get good at aiming with the Pro Throttle's analogue stick otherwise I'm screwed in any kind of SRV combat.
Depending on how they'll implement the controls, I'm pondering if it wouldn't be more sensible to put the SRV steering in turret mode on that analogue stick and use the joystick for aiming. It doesn't make sense to me to put the function which require most precision on the input which provides the least precision. Just like ED's default mouse/keyboard configuration putting yaw on keys rather than the mouse's x-axis with roll on the x-axis. my brain was just not wired to get along with that, so I had to change it. >.<

I also always imagined you had to manually and constantly use your thrusters to maintain altitude but in the video it looks like the ship does it automatically..
Probably better that way, because having to constantly manually control thrusters to maintain the same altitude rather than only having to do input to change altitude might be pretty unintuitive.

SmartBase

Depending on how they'll implement the controls, I'm pondering if it wouldn't be more sensible to put the SRV steering in turret mode on that analogue stick and use the joystick for aiming. It doesn't make sense to me to put the function which require most precision on the input which provides the least precision. Just like ED's default mouse/keyboard configuration putting yaw on keys rather than the mouse's x-axis with roll on the x-axis. my brain was just not wired to get along with that, so I had to change it. >.<

Probably better that way, because having to constantly manually control thrusters to maintain the same altitude rather than only having to do input to change altitude might be pretty unintuitive.

As long as I can still effectively use my HOTAS to aim, fly and drive and not have to switch to mouse like in a certain other game I'll be happy.

Mik2121

As long as I can still effectively use my HOTAS to aim, fly and drive and not have to switch to mouse like in a certain other game I'll be happy.
Whenever they release the expansion that lets you walk around, you will probably have to switch to something else, so... :/
But yeah, hopefully it can be done with the HOTAS easily, and just keep a controller for actually walking in first person.

SmartBase

Whenever they release the expansion that lets you walk around, you will probably have to switch to something else, so... :/
But yeah, hopefully it can be done with the HOTAS easily, and just keep a controller for actually walking in first person.

To be honest I didn't even consider space legs, I was referring to the whole "aiming to fly" versus Elite's "flying to aim" gameplay.

But you're right, walking around probably won't work on a HOTAS. I tried it in X-Rebirth and it felt pretty unintuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom