• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corgi

Banned
is it just me or there noticeable framerate hitch when entering stations through the gate and right when all the textures are loading up?

Go into the Navigation panel and select "Fastest Route" instead of "Economical Route". That will make the computer calculate based on the fewest jumps (that your ship can do). The Economical Route calculation is based on shortest jumps since they consume drastically less fuel per light year than longer jumps. The game defaults to Economical, though, so I have to keep going in and switching it over to Fastest every time I boot it up.

Yeah its set to fastest route. Its probably because I'm using the an unmodified sidewinder xD

RedSwirl

I know this is only tangentially related, but in order to better understand space games I decided to try to get into the early Elite games, and just started playing Frontier: Elite II for the first time.

Holy shit. My mind is blown every second I'm playing this game. What the fuck man.

I'm probably gonna spend a shitload of time just getting used to the basic flight controls and how to get to planets and stuff. Hell, I could spend hours just looking at the start chart since it puts so much information right in your face.

wsippel

Banned
So, the game uses legit physics to create the solar systems, right? Because I've tried to map a system earlier today, near LHS 3447, that doesn't seem to make any sense. Two small suns seemingly orbiting each other while orbiting a larger sun, and I say seemingly because I never managed to find the second small sun. Also, all the suns have planets I guess (at least the suns I managed to find all had their own planets), but even more strangely, there are a bunch of planets in the system that don't seem to orbit any sun. That's what the schematic seems to imply, at least. Those planets are way out and are supposedly gas giants, they're also huge on the system chart, but they're actually tiny. That system completely blew my mind.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Another thing you should do since you are hunting people is buy a hatch breaker. It's a good way to make extra cash while hunting bounties. The initial one only costs around 300 credits too but you have to allocate the cargo space for the ammo. Also you have to go to the munitions section of a space port to buy the ammo.

Basically what I do as a bounty hunter is once I find my target I scan them for a warrant, take down their shields, launch hatch breakers, watch their cargo float into space, and finish the kill for the bounty.

I'm flying around in an Eagle right now and I don't think I have room for hatch breakers? It's definitely a tight fit already with the Interdictor which I need to practice.

That head tracking module really does make a huge difference. Now I am interested to get it. What about track IR 5? Will that function as well?

Darklord

Banned
Half the people I've seen comment on this this it's really unfinished and the other half loves it to death. I think I might just try and see, I don't know if I want to buy a Saitek X52 for a bad game though so maybe I'll try a controller first.

I'm supposed to find rebel transmissions from a certain area. They aren't specific, just give me a general location.

Can anyone offer advice on this? I have no idea where to look. I've been in the system for an hour and no luck

Wreav

Banned
I'm supposed to find rebel transmissions from a certain area. They aren't specific, just give me a general location.

Can anyone offer advice on this? I have no idea where to look. I've been in the system for an hour and no luck

Drop into every USS you see till you find it.

JambiBum

I'm flying around in an Eagle right now and I don't think I have room for hatch breakers? It's definitely a tight fit already with the Interdictor which I need to practice.

You can replace the two cargo spots with one that is bigger and then use the extra for the hatch breaker. Find a cargo hatch with room for 8 and that should be enough for limpets (hatch breaker ammo) and the cargo you find. And if you want to stop pirating and do cargo runs you can drop the limpets and use the extra space.

Gears

Anyone running a gtx 460 graphics card with this? All of my other parts seem fine for this but I'm worried about my video card being too old

JambiBum

Sinatar I kind of hate you for your trade route. I make decent money with bounty hunting/pirating pirates/slave trades but nothing like you do.

JambiBum

Thank you. I was able to find one.

Now another stupid question: What do I do once I find it? It's right in front of me

Deploy your cargo scoop. It'll show you a targetting box on the bottom left. Line up the item within that box and move forward to grab it. Be careful to not go too fast as you can destroy it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Anyone running a gtx 460 graphics card with this? All of my other parts seem fine for this but I'm worried about my video card being too old

I am. 8gb, Quad core o/c to 3.5ghz and a 1gb GTX460. Settings all at high at 1080p getting 30-40fps. Lower res to 720p gets me a rock solid 60fps.

JambiBum

Klykka I'm making my way towards Ho Hsi now. Gonna stop off in LHS 3447 to turn in a mission that I have had forever first though.

Deploy your cargo scoop. It'll show you a targetting box on the bottom left. Line up the item within that box and move forward to grab it. Be careful to not go too fast as you can destroy it.

Thank you!

That was very frustrating.

This whole game seems to be pretty frustrating. I'm starting to get the hang of it. What took me 2 hours would probably take me about 10 minutes now.

Stopping on targets is still a pain in the ass, but i'm getting a little better.

Wow, bounty hunting in an asteroid field, I'm at 95% Hull, full shield, target is at 5% Hull no shields. He barely scrapes me and we both blow up.... what?

JambiBum

Wow, bounty hunting in an asteroid field, I'm at 95% Hull, full shield, target is at 5% Hull no shields. He barely scrapes me and we both blow up.... what?

Normally if you bump someone like this you will bounce off of each other, but since I'm assuming the damage blew him up, the explosion probably killed you too.

Gears

Oh man, well now I'm super excited. Thanks for the replies. I'm replacing my dead motherboard on Christmas, and if this games rad enough I may spring for the saitek stick.

Also, I see you guys saying you're bounty hunting. Are you hunting ai or people? Hunting players would be sick, especially if I had someone on my tail while I'm hunting someone myself. I'm imagining alliances now.. I should look more up on the game probably haha

Xando

Very interested in this.
How hard is the game for people like me that never played anything similiar ?
Is a joystick really necessary for casual play or will i be ok by playing with keyboard/mouse or controller?

JambiBum

Oh man, well now I'm super excited. Thanks for the replies. I'm replacing my dead motherboard on Christmas, and if this games rad enough I may spring for the saitek stick.

Also, I see you guys saying you're bounty hunting. Are you hunting ai or people? Hunting players would be sick, especially if I had someone on my tail while I'm hunting someone myself. I'm imagining alliances now.. I should look more up on the game probably haha

I hunt whatever it is I can find. Because of the time of night that I play it's mostly ai that I end up hunting. I wish I could hunt more people though.

GeoGonzo

Remember that collision damage depends mostly on mass, so an eagle gets absolutely crushed by bouncing against a trader / cobra

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm pretty sure this game is just magic. I'm at work and I can't stop thinking about flying around the galaxy. Small touches like nothing really being automated make this a great experience. You really feel like a total n00b when you start...I can't wait until I feel like the Han Solo-esque smuggler I was meant to be.

Can you name your ships, btw? Cause I want to name my intro ship the RMS Scrub.

Dougald

I'm pretty sure this game is just magic. I'm at work and I can't stop thinking about flying around the galaxy. Small touches like nothing really being automated make this a great experience. You really feel like a total n00b when you start...I can't wait until I feel like the Han Solo-esque smuggler I was meant to be.

Can you name your ships, btw? Cause I want to name my intro ship the RMS Scrub.

It's proper PC gaming, no hand-holding, just "here are the tools, go have fun"

I had to download it on my laptop last night, then copy it over via USB to my PC, as the PC was still doing that shit where the download stops at 30%. I got in about an hours play tho finally. Man its just so immersive. I just did an in system supercruise to Dalton Gateway and docked there. And that was it. But the act of plotting the course, engaging FSD, coming out of supercruise at exactly the right time and having Dalton Gateway jsut pop up right in front of my eyes, and then successfully docking with it, man it was just so cool. Totally feels like going for a nice drive and successfully reversing into a spot in ETS2 :lol:

Commander Tablowme reporting in

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I had to download it on my laptop last night, then copy it over via USB to my PC, as the PC was still doing that shit where the download stops at 30%. I got in about an hours play tho finally. Man its just so immersive. I just did an in system supercruise to Dalton Gateway and docked there. And that was it. But the act of plotting the course, engaging FSD, coming out of supercruise at exactly the right time and having Dalton Gateway jsut pop up right in front of my eyes, and then successfully docking with it, man it was just so cool. Totally feels like going for a nice drive and successfully reversing into a spot in ETS2 :lol:

Commander Tablowme reporting in

RIGHT? That feeling when you nail the timing of popping out of hyperspace at the right time and suddenly there is a big ass space station and gas giant directly in front of you, so you have to pull up, just skirting the planet's gravity well, while requesting docking permission from the space station then executing a pin point landing is FREAKIN SWEET.

I dunno guys, but I feel some kind of way about this one. I've played a ton of space sims, but this is the first one that nails the immersion. Absolutely nails it.

I regret buying this so much. There's no game here, and the sim stuff is not for me, just really frustrating. Why do I have to go through all this time wasting shit to dock or figure out how to get from point A to point B? And again, what is the point to any of it? What am I supposed to be doing, and why is there no narrative whatsoever? It's just a barren, hollow world.

Faith

I regret buying this so much. There's no game here, and the sim stuff is not for me, just really frustrating. Why do I have to go through all this time wasting shit to dock or figure out how to get from point A to point B? And again, what is the point to any of it? What am I supposed to be doing, and why is there no narrative whatsoever? It's just a barren, hollow world.
It's a real PC game. Learning how to play it is part of the fun.

GeoGonzo

Meh, I think its okay to not like a game like this. I personally enjoy not being space Jesus for once, and not having the fate of the galaxy depending on me.

Gears

It's a real PC game. Learning how to play it is part of the fun.

I get what you're saying, but that likely won't convince them. I'm curious about what he said regarding narrative though. If its just "you got a ship, now go!" I think I'll enjoy it

"I regret buying this so much. There's no game here, and the sim stuff is not for me, just really frustrating. Why do I have to go through all this time wasting shit to dock or figure out how to get from point A to point B? And again, what is the point to any of it? What am I supposed to be doing, and why is there no narrative whatsoever? It's just a barren, hollow world."

I'm really not sure why you would buy this game if you wanted narrative in the first place. It is a game for people who want to create their own narrative through their play experience. It's unapologetically for people who want to make their own fun.

Hellers

I get what you're saying, but that likely won't convince him. I'm curious about what he said regarding narrative though. If its just "you got a ship, now go!" I think I'll enjoy it

It's exactly like the original in that respect. Here's a ship. Here's some credits. Have fun.

Mik2121

I get what you're saying, but that likely won't convince him. I'm curious about what he said regarding narrative though. If its just "you got a ship, now go!" I think I'll enjoy it

That's about it. There is also the Galnet reports which sometimes might include little bits of story in the form of news regarding conflicts or other events happening somewhere.

I like this way of telling the story (not a singleplayer story, but more like a setup to make the world feel a bit more alive). I expect / hope that Frontier spends time creating interesting backstory for this game besides the books and all that stuff.

I couldn't get the 4k alt+F10 screenshots to work, I even tried macroing the buttons together. Anyway, B9 stars are gorgeous!

15862116079_6b34baeb5b_o.jpg

"I regret buying this so much. There's no game here, and the sim stuff is not for me, just really frustrating. Why do I have to go through all this time wasting shit to dock or figure out how to get from point A to point B? And again, what is the point to any of it? What am I supposed to be doing, and why is there no narrative whatsoever? It's just a barren, hollow world."

I'm really not sure why you would buy this game if you wanted narrative in the first place. It is a game for people who want to create their own narrative through their play experience. It's unapologetically for people who want to make their own fun.

"Create my own narrative"? That would be fine if there was any semblance of world building at all. There's no purpose to anything, no descriptions of what you're even doing or why. This barely qualifies as a sandbox because the sandbox isn't defined.

I also don't need to be space jesus, I just want an objective or purpose. Saying I should create my own is a cop-out, the game doesn't even have progression to any meaningful extent.

Gears

It's exactly like the original in that respect. Here's a ship. Here's some credits. Have fun.

The only thing that I'm not too keen on is not being able to enter planets atmospheres apparently, unless I've been misinformed. If true that kinda takes away my little fantasy of escaping hunters by flying down to a planet and navigating through giant rock formations or something

Hellers

I couldn't get the 4k alt+F10 screenshots to work, I even tried macroing the buttons together. Anyway, B9 stars are gorgeous!

There's one system (g119 I think it's called) where the nav beacon is so close to to the white star that you have maybe a second or so to start decelerating before you start taking damage. A lot of damage. The first time it happened I hit 200% heat by the time I could get away. I hate going there but unfortunately I make a chunk of cash whenever I do.

DrBo42

Anyone having good luck with rares? Looks like it'll take an hour or two to fill my Asp with Eranin Whisky, any better alternatives?

Orgun

The ALT - F10 no longer works in Open or group play, it was messing with the net code and some people were able to use it to cheat...somehow.

It works in solo mode.

""Create my own narrative"? That would be fine if there was any semblance of world building at all. There's no purpose to anything, no descriptions of what you're even doing or why. This barely qualifies as a sandbox because the sandbox isn't defined.

I also don't need to be space jesus, I just want an objective or purpose. Saying I should create my own is a cop-out, the game doesn't even have progression to any meaningful extent."

What sandbox game "qualifies" as a sandbox to you?

The fact that you're asking for the game to supply you an objective or purpose makes me think you miss the point of a sandbox game entirely. The only real objective is to reach the Elite rank. Get there however you want. Enjoy all of the little interactions with NPCs, factions, world events and other players along the way.

""Create my own narrative"? That would be fine if there was any semblance of world building at all. There's no purpose to anything, no descriptions of what you're even doing or why. This barely qualifies as a sandbox because the sandbox isn't defined.

I also don't need to be space jesus, I just want an objective or purpose. Saying I should create my own is a cop-out, the game doesn't even have progression to any meaningful extent."

What sandbox game "qualifies" as a sandbox to you?

The fact that you're asking for the game to supply you an objective or purpose makes me think you miss the point of a sandbox game entirely. The only real objective is to reach the Elite rank. Get there however you want. Enjoy all of the little interactions with NPCs, factions, world events and other players along the way.

Why should I get to Elite rank? What does that give me? And where are these NPC's, factions, and world events? The game does nothing to even let me know these things exist, or how to get to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom