• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougald

So it looks like you lose all exploration data (for sale) and bounty claims upon death, correct?

Seems like it, taught me a valuable lesson about not gunning it out of a station in my Adder, lost about 10 systems worth just as I was trekking off to sell it....

JambiBum

Man I wish I knew about needing to bind the scanner earlier. I should have known better though since you need to bind the other ones. I have missed out on a lot of money. lol

Brick

I am completely in love with this game. It's been so long since I've played a Space Sim, and this just feels like coming home. I'm also playing on my Xbone controller while I wait for my new HOTAS to show up in the mail, and it works surprisingly well.

Quick question, though. Is there any way to tell the relative difficulty of a combat mission? I've seen a few that pay really well, but that makes me think that they are much more difficult.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I am completely in love with this game. It's been so long since I've played a Space Sim, and this just feels like coming home. I'm also playing on my Xbone controller while I wait for my new HOTAS to show up in the mail, and it works surprisingly well.

Quick question, though. Is there any way to tell the relative difficulty of a combat mission? I've seen a few that pay really well, but that makes me think that they are much more difficult.

The bounty hunting missions where you have to kill a specific target are almost always against extremely difficulty foes.

This game has the Milky Way mapped out, right?

So theoretically, I could find Deneb? It's the star system that housed the "beings" responsible for creating the zones in Roadside Picnic (the book that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series was based on).

Is that possible?

Shoe786

PSA, if you ever find yourself at a crowded docking station and keep getting your docking request denied, just go to the main menu and restart in solo mode. Then you'll have the place to yourself.

On a completely unrelated note, last night i had an adder full of rare goods that I flew about 160 ly away to sell. Crash my ship into the damn station on my way in and lost everything after like 40 mins of flying D:

Sinatar

This game has the Milky Way mapped out, right?

So theoretically, I could find Deneb? It's the star system that housed the "beings" responsible for creating the zones in Roadside Picnic (the book that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series was based on).

Is that possible?

Yea absolutely.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My death ( thinking I could take on a master ) at launch did comfirm me that you loose your bounty claims.

This happened to me last night, and it seems like they actually paid me out for all my exploration and bounty claims on death.

I assumed this was to give you a little breathing room to pay off your insurance. I might have just not realized how much money I had previously, but I was almost positive I had a lot less before I died.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Last night was just amazing. I was sitting at a nav point scanning for wanted ships. I found a player piloted ship that was wanted, an Eagle (Freagle?), so I closed the distance in my stock Sidewinder and lit him up. I got him down to 8% when he jumped out on me. So, I started scanning again and found a wanted Anaconda. After a very long battle I manged to bring him down, with the help of the system authority ships. I was so excited, I got 5400 credits for the kill. But my ship was heavily damaged. So, I headed out to the nearest stardock. But....I supercruised too fast and got too near the sun. I found the escape vector a little late and as my FSD counter went 4..3..2...1... BOOOM. I blew up.

This game....this goddamn game...I fucking love it.

This happened to me last night, and it seems like they actually paid me out for all my exploration and bounty claims on death.

I assumed this was to give you a little breathing room to pay off your insurance. I might have just not realized how much money I had previously, but I was almost positive I had a lot less before I died.

I don't think that's what happens. I died last night with 25k in bounty and it looks like I lost it.

Edit: Or maybe it does depending on location? I couldn't turn that bounty in where I died as it was for another region.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I dropped into a USS yesterday and found 2 NPC cobras attacking a hauler. It turned out the hauler was piloted by a player. I took out the two cobras, and watched the hauler going crazy trying to get away from me. I just parked my Eagle at a stop and watched him gunning out of there.

Does the game create a USS when players get interdicted by NPCs? That's pretty awesome.

JambiBum

I just want to give a shout out to all of the slaves that I have found jobs for. They brought me from the brink of debt back to wealthy status.

Guys, can i buy a fuel scoop in a basic sidewinder? I wanted to buy one before going exploring but i couldnt see one for sale in the outfitting section. Also i do only have the starting 1000 credits so maybe im just too poor lol

Sinatar

Guys, can i buy a fuel scoop in a basic sidewinder? I wanted to buy one before going exploring but i couldnt see one for sale in the outfitting section. Also i do only have the starting 1000 credits so maybe im just too poor lol

You can, but the sidewinder has no free slots, so you'll need to replace something with it.

Unstable

Did you check the internal tab in the outfitting selection? That's where you can buy a fuel scoop. You should have enough money, the cheapest fuel scoop is only around 300cr.

I haven't gotten to play for more than 15 minutes at a time :( And the rest of my week won't let up. I'm literally setting a calendar appointment to play this for most of Saturday, hahaha. Can't wait.

I bought a cheap Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS which is pretty good if you don't want to drop 3 digits. You can do pretty much everything without needing to use the keyboard, though I still find myself reaching for it when I need to do something quickly without using the ship menu.

Do you mind sharing your bindings? When I was playing tutorials yesterday, I noticed a lot of stuff was still unbound.

It would be great if a vet here could give a short list of "don't bother binding this/definitely bind this". Like how someone here bound "Jettison Cargo" and accidentally lost everything, haha.

Yea absolutely.

i8CsaStDLmz1T.gif

Hey I was wrong there is a reason to play after all:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76535

I think this is pretty cool. Like real like bounties.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, the game uses legit physics to create the solar systems, right? Because I've tried to map a system earlier today, near LHS 3447, that doesn't seem to make any sense. Two small suns seemingly orbiting each other while orbiting a larger sun, and I say seemingly because I never managed to find the second small sun. Also, all the suns have planets I guess (at least the suns I managed to find all had their own planets), but even more strangely, there are a bunch of planets in the system that don't seem to orbit any sun. That's what the schematic seems to imply, at least. Those planets are way out and are supposedly gas giants, they're also huge on the system chart, but they're actually tiny. That system completely blew my mind.

I think I was in that system last night, something like LHS 3564 or something? It had two red suns orbiting each other far out from the main sun. I passed through it on my way to the Sun Takush system.

I've noticed that many systems end up as dead ends with my limited jump range in a mostly stock Eagle, it just doesn't have the range to really bridge the larger distances. I may just grind out some credits around Eravate and stay relatively put until I can afford a bigger ship with upgraded FSD and power components.

I'm really enjoying flying the Eagle around though. The 8T cargo hold allows me to make consistently profitable trade runs but it's good enough in a dogfight that I can also hunt pirates or defend myself if I need to. Good all around starter ship. My plan now is to save enough to buy a Hauler outright but keep the Eagle too and turn it into a pure dogfighting machine, no cargo or discovery scanner of any kind. I ended up at 96,000 credits last night so I'll be buying that Hauler tonight most likely.

Dougald

Do you mind sharing your bindings? When I was playing tutorials yesterday, I noticed a lot of stuff was still unbound.

It would be great if a vet here could give a short list of "don't bother binding this/definitely bind this". Like how someone here bound "Jettison Cargo" and accidentally lost everything, haha.

Well, this is what works for me:

3 Axis on stick set to pitch/roll/yaw
Throttle set to throttle obviously and the axis on the rear of the throttle for lateral thrust
I have the d-pad thingy on the stick set for menu navigation/power distribution

I have the buttons mapped as so:

1 - Primary Fire
2 - Secondary Fire
3 - Cycle Targets
4 - Target Ahead ship
5 - Thrust Up / Menu Page Up
6 - Thrust Down / Menu Page Down
7 - Supercruise/Back in menus
8 - Can't remember what its called, but to enable to you look in the UI
9 - Afterburner
10 - Flight Assist off (toggle)
11 & 12 are set to hardpoints and landing gear iirc

Still might need a bit of tweaking but works well. I also setup the stick to work in the galaxy map but still find using the mouse easier...

The only buttons I really use on the keyboard are cargo scoop (though you can do it in the menu), and I also bound a button for jump to supercruise only, for if I want to supercruise instead of hyperspace.

Boogdud

That feel when you're hurtling at the station entrance as fast as you can to turn in the illegal cargo for your mission, getting "Scan initiated" from the local security and breaking through the field to the entrance before they can finish their scan. So much love.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That feel when you're hurtling at the station entrance as fast as you can to turn in the illegal cargo for your mission, getting "Scan initiated" from the local security and breaking through the field to the entrance before they can finish their scan. So much love.

How exactly do you pull this off? Do you go into "stealth mode" first as well?

Well, this is what works for me:

3 Axis on stick set to pitch/roll/yaw
Throttle set to throttle obviously and the axis on the rear of the throttle for lateral thrust
I have the d-pad thingy on the stick set for menu navigation/power distribution

I have the buttons mapped as so:

1 - Primary Fire
2 - Secondary Fire
3 - Cycle Targets
4 - Target Ahead ship
5 - Thrust Up / Menu Page Up
6 - Thrust Down / Menu Page Down
7 - Supercruise/Back in menus
8 - Can't remember what its called, but to enable to you look in the UI
9 - Afterburner
10 - Flight Assist off (toggle)
11 & 12 are set to hardpoints and landing gear iirc

Still might need a bit of tweaking but works well. I also setup the stick to work in the galaxy map but still find using the mouse easier...

The only buttons I really use on the keyboard are cargo scoop (though you can do it in the menu), and I also bound a button for jump to supercruise only, for if I want to supercruise instead of hyperspace.

This is actually really helpful, thanks!

Boogdud

I typically circle around the base and stay a good 10-15k away from the port to avoid getting picked up by the authority. Then I'll make sure to line myself up with the entrance, divert all power to the engines, boost and fly straight for the gate at full speed. Typically they don't pick you up until it's too late to finish the scan. I usually hit the gear and cut the power as I get to the strip. It's possible to get really unlucky and someone is coming out of the gate, or it's really crowded, at that point you pretty much have to pull a Christopher Cross and run like the wind.

Things can get hairy in multiple ways, which makes it always exciting.

I wouldn't try it out if you're new to flying/docking, but once you get really familiar with your ship you can do some amazing things.

JambiBum

As Boo said, typically if you are going for the fast approach you want to get 8-10k away and line up and just hit it. You can also try the stealth approach from 7-9k away but it's a bit more difficult to pull off because it relies on turning off assists and kind of just floating towards the entrance at a decent speed. They won't scan you at all this way, but if you misjudge your alignment and hit something then you're dead since you have no shields.

owlbeak

Anyone know the download size of this? Debating on buying now...but if I do I want to start the DL before work. :)

i'm going to buy it

Moobabe

Just picked up the game and I'm using a 360 pad.

I'm having an experiment with docking before I jump into the game proper. I've been asked to proceed to a landing pad, which I've done, I've matched up the ship on that landing radar that pops up as well - should it automatically land when I'm close enough? Or is there a specific button to press once you're in range and matched up?

moggio

Banned
Just picked up the game and I'm using a 360 pad.

I'm having an experiment with docking before I jump into the game proper. I've been asked to proceed to a landing pad, which I've done, I've matched up the ship on that landing radar that pops up as well - should it automatically land when I'm close enough? Or is there a specific button to press once you're in range and matched up?

Have you descended onto the pad? When you're low enough you will dock.

bj00rn_

Banned
Anyone know the download size of this? Debating on buying now...but if I do I want to start the DL before work. :)

i'm going to buy it

My Elite folder is 3.5GB, download should be somewhat close to that, no?

It's a very small game relatively speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom