• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question, sorry if it was already discussed. I bought a Saitek x52 a year ago, it is still sitting in its box (had a great deal). Would you say this game is best played with a flight stick, as opposed to k/m or a controller? I'm not gonna bother setting it up if it's not...

Absolutely, a flight stick while not necessary, is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

"Quick question, sorry if it was already discussed. I bought a Saitek x52 a year ago, it is still sitting in its box (had a great deal). Would you say this game is best played with a flight stick, as opposed to k/m or a controller? I'm not gonna bother setting it up if it's not..."

Definitely best played with flight stick.

Klyka

Banned
Can we do a meet up at Ho Hsi sometime this weekend? See how many of us can gather there and take a few pics :)

Absolutely! Saturday works great for me.
We just had 6 people engage in a massive fight in a resource extraction zone, I am currently uploading the video and will post it here once done :D

People saying playing with your friends doesn't work don't know 'bout our Ho Hsi!

Mik2121

Absolutely! Saturday works great for me.
We just had 6 people engage in a massive fight in a resource extraction zone, I am currently uploading the video and will post it here once done :D

People saying playing with your friends doesn't work don't know 'bout our Ho Hsi!

Sweet. Right now I still have only the sidewinder and the free Eagle. I'm on the Eagle flying around doing some random missions, but once I get home today I will start moving from SOL to Ho Hsi. That star has so many planets!

Klyka

Banned
Sweet. Right now I still have only the sidewinder and the free Eagle. I'm on the Eagle flying around doing some random missions, but once I get home today I will start moving from SOL to Ho Hsi. That star has so many planets!

It does! It's a beautiful system.

Klyka

Banned
Damn. Thank you.

Is the reputation grind pretty long?

I can't tell you, I have a permit from the start. But I reached recruit rank with the feds by just doing a few missions for a faction associated with them. So basically, just keep running all kinds of missions for factions associated with the feds, trade at fed controlled stations and turn in bounties at fed controlled stations and you'll gain rep quite decently.

Skyzard

Banned
Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, it's off to Ho Hsi I go.
It's a jump-drive through hyper space here,
<time and talent>
Heigh-Ho (and some fun).

Great stream btw, Klyka, came back to catch some of that multiplayer, very nice shooting! Looked like a lot of fun, hopefully I'll be a little more fit to fly by saturday (or whenever).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, I'm giving up on kill missions until I save enough for an interdictor. Bounty hunting is fun though.

InfernoNR

Getting there

ipxSFYmIZOpEm.png

Very cool. Where was the Jett Comms influence before any of you intervened?

Marc

Anyone got involved with any open conflicts yet? Haven't seen one and see people recommending them for combat guys to make quick credits. Recommended a system called Eranin but its like 10 jumps away, so holding off for now.

Got some decent cash for supplying some gallite to a base, in the same system I got interdicted about 3 times. I killed them just fine luckily but go from never to 3 in one mission. C'mon, these all seem very unbalanced for something that has had a long beta. The unknown signals that you need for missions are like 90% bull, not balanced at all well IMO. I am thinking of turning into a slave trader... this game is making me evil!
More so.

Also does anyone else have the view the economy is messed up, the bulk of missions are either 500-5K or 15K+ for taking on an expert crew or 6 pirates. The rewards don't justify it at all. Barely pays for anything in the game. The only other ships beside the Eagle I am interested in are the Viper and Anaconda... so much money! :( Its not just that though, its that if you die you have to pay like 8 million credits for the Anaconda to come back. Sweet jesus! Completely puts me off wanting it. I am hooked despite the flaws, just feels like you're actually in the cockpit flying around in space. Can't get over how awesome that is.

Klyka

Banned
Very cool. Where was the Jett Comms influence before any of you intervened?

Well it doesn't immediately change. Also yesterday it was actually higher. 46.5% for Jett and 47$ for Hsi Corp. Now Hsi has 49% and Jett is down to 45%.

Other players are probably mostly trading with Hsi corp and doing their missions, so we need as many Commanders as possible on the Jett side!

la_briola

So.... I defiantly found a "exploit" regarding buying and selling slaves.

There should be a decent way to fix it. Will write a bug report tomorrow.

So I'm looking for someplace to travel to. At first I was thinking of trying to get to Alliance space, then the Empire sounded interesting. But sounds like you guys are having fun over in Ho Hsi. So I think I'll head there for now. Its on the way to the other places anyway :p

Skyzard

Banned
Think I got the basics now, managed to upgrade my eagle a bit and take it to Ho Hsi. Just took one refueling stop.

--The training sessions have some pretty decent dog fights imo. The sidewinder will help you get to grips with the battle basics as you shift power to engines/weapons/shields to keep up.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Spent a solid 4 1/2hrs on this last night after work for my first session of the full game (I work afternoon shifts so get home 11pm-ish). Is a bit daunting at first trying to find how to make any reasonable money from 1000c especially when I was getting the buy/sell muddled up and selling at a loss. Ended up flying to where my bonus ship was and selling it, upgrading my ship with the money then ran two missions to increase my credits to 25k.

Decided to head off quite a few systems away and along the way I found an unidentified signal that ended up being a wreck with some Rare artwork there for the taking. Head into my next jump and get bloody indicted and wasted by some NPC for no reason.

What's the best option for when indicted? Switch all systems off and trying to appear invisible to their radar?

I need to stop playing around with combat until I get a tougher ship than the eagle. At least a tougher ship than an eagle full of gold.

Twice tonight I've been making a run from one place to another full of four tons of gold when I've been distracted by a USS and ended up dead. Once at the hands of a pirate in a cobra, once by a federal anacdona's crossfire while destroying a pirate in a cobra.

Shit just ain't working out for me. Time to buy a hauler.

JambiBum

Haly, if you are still wanting to look for pirates, find resource gathering sites. You can sit there in an asteroid field and wait for pirates to try to attack miners. Plus you may get some help from Feds from time to time. Just be careful to not shoot them.

andylsun

First trade done.

Made 245 credits selling grain. Got to start somewhere.

Ended up jumping to an anarchy station and forgot that 'permission to dock' was in contacts and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me dock. Jumped to another system and it worked once I selected the right option.

Do all the stations within a system have the same prices for everything? Trading should only be done between different systems?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Haly, if you are still wanting to look for pirates, find resource gathering sites. You can sit there in an asteroid field and wait for pirates to try to attack miners. Plus you may get some help from Feds from time to time. Just be careful to not shoot them.

Fuck the feds, they often steal kills. They have to change that mechanic of last shot = winner of combat.

Haly

Alright. I'm in Obambivas which has no asteroid belt but I'll keep an eye out.

Starviper

I highly recommend changing around the default controls if you're using a keyboard/mouse.

I've setup my WASD for up/left/down/right thrusters, Q/E for roll, and pitch/yaw to the mouse. It's fantastic for combat once you get used to it.

Think I got the basics now, managed to upgrade my eagle a bit and take it to Ho Hsi. Just took one refueling stop.

--The training sessions have some pretty decent dog fights imo. The sidewinder will help you get to grips with the battle basics as you shift power to engines/weapons/shields to keep up.

Ho Hsi in one stop? I feel like I'm going about trying to get to Ho Hsi the wrong way... the map plotted a path that looped away from Ho Hsi a few jumps before going south and then back towards Ho Hsi. I'm at OBE now and I think I'm done for the night >.<

Edit: And I've made at least 3 or 4 refueling stops with many more to go.

Jedi2016

Ho Hsi in one stop? I feel like I'm going about trying to get to Ho Hsi the wrong way... the map plotted a path that looped away from Ho Hsi a few jumps before going south and then back towards Ho Hsi. I'm at OBE now and I think I'm done for the night >.<

Edit: And I've made at least 3 or 4 refueling stops with many more to go.
Go into the Navigation panel and select "Fastest Route" instead of "Economical Route". That will make the computer calculate based on the fewest jumps (that your ship can do). The Economical Route calculation is based on shortest jumps since they consume drastically less fuel per light year than longer jumps. The game defaults to Economical, though, so I have to keep going in and switching it over to Fastest every time I boot it up.

JambiBum

Seriously. They need to do it by damage done

I'd rather they have an assist system that can give a portion of the bounty. Make it so that whomever gets the last hit still gets the full bounty, but if you've done damage to a ship that has a bounty you get a voucher for a portion of the full bounty price. That way it's not completely worthless to try and help kill someone.

Boogdud

Aw man I think I totally screwed up. I had a mission to sell slaves, so I had to go find an anarchy system to get them to bring them back. On the way there I decided to check out some USS where a representative from the values party of the system begged me to abandon the quest and offered to pay the amount as if I had delivered them! Well I went into the quest and abandoned it and it went red and I discarded it since I didn't see any funds. Well I think that I was supposed to fly to the nearest dock and collect my reward but I think that's out the window now. Son of a bitch... Bye bye 50k easy credits

Haly

I tried to kill steal some NPC guys. It didn't work.

:(

The guy looked like he had a pretty hefty bounty as well.

Mik2121

Aw man I think I totally screwed up. I had a mission to sell slaves, so I had to go find an anarchy system to get them to bring them back. On the way there I decided to check out some USS where a representative from the values party of the system begged me to abandon the quest and offered to pay the amount as if I had delivered them! Well I went into the quest and abandoned it and it went red and I discarded it since I didn't see any funds. Well I think that I was supposed to fly to the nearest dock and collect my reward but I think that's out the window now. Son of a bitch... Bye bye 50k easy credits

Yeah they need to explain this stuff better. I was doing a mission where I had to kill 4 trader ships. When I found the first one, the mission updated begging me not to kill them and instead meeting this person and Somethingsomething Port. Well, I just couldn't find the stupid port anyway and now I think I might not be able to collect my money :(

Mik2121

Not a bad night, found a new trade route and made 2.2 million credits. Net worth now 7.2 million.

You can't just come here and say that, and not give any extra details!

I'm at an amazing 10,000Cr right now. Can only haul 4 tons so I need to get money to get a better ship and start do gather more money...

JambiBum

I tried to kill steal some NPC guys. It didn't work.

:(

The guy looked like he had a pretty hefty bounty as well.

Another thing you should do since you are hunting people is buy a hatch breaker. It's a good way to make extra cash while hunting bounties. The initial one only costs around 300 credits too but you have to allocate the cargo space for the ammo. Also you have to go to the munitions section of a space port to buy the ammo.

Basically what I do as a bounty hunter is once I find my target I scan them for a warrant, take down their shields, launch hatch breakers, watch their cargo float into space, and finish the kill for the bounty.

Wreav

Banned
I just found a beautiful "watery gas giant"...not sure how that works, but the shadow across it's beautifully illuminated rings is majestic out the cockpit of my Adder.

Creeping closer, I spot a USS just under the blindingly glaring rings...and LO! A mishappen vessel, with a spilled belly. What a scene.

Well...this is a new one for me...wonder how much these are worth, and where I should sell them?

Made back the money from my Jackass Jettison© maneuver. Still moving a little slow with the credits. It will definitely take a little time for me. I need to just sell the Freagle and use a Hauler I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom