• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carcetti

Why should I get to Elite rank? What does that give me? And where are these NPC's, factions, and world events? The game does nothing to even let me know these things exist, or how to get to them.

There's no reason for you to get Elite rank if you don't want to. I've only played one session, flubbed around and accidentally almost flew into a star, got my ship fried, got lost trying to find my way home and got into a combat where I somehow made my first kill. Found a new home on some station and felt like I'd been really somewhere far in the deep space. I won't ever become elite but I don't really care.

Dougald

Why should I get to Elite rank? What does that give me? And where are these NPC's, factions, and world events? The game does nothing to even let me know these things exist, or how to get to them.

To be Elite

If that doesn't appeal, then don't bother, it's just there for those who want to level up. It's a bit like asking what's the point of levelling up in Titanfall once you've unlocked everything

All the factions are right there in the system information screen and are who provide you missions. You can gain favour with factions within the system by doing missions, etc and even help tip the balance of power.

It sounds like a sandbox game without a strong narrative-driven storyline is not for you, in which case, why buy one? There is a reason that they asked for kickstarter help to fund this, it's not everyone's cup of tea

Seanspeed

Banned
This barely qualifies as a sandbox because the sandbox isn't defined.
That's part of what it makes it a sandbox game, man.

You obviously didn't spend any time learning about what the game is before buying. I'm sorry you don't like the game, but you could have avoided wasting your time and money if you'd just done a little research.

EGM1966

The game has no objective purpose. You either get the game on that basis or you don't.

There's no plot and you're not the centre of everything. You're just a pilot with a ship and you can do what you like in the sandbox provided, trade, pirate, etc. but there is no reason provided for you to do anything unless you count progression to Elite which is the closest the game has to a purpose.

That was fine when Elite first launched and for me it's fine now. If you're looking for a quest/objective driven game then this isn't it. You'll have to look at No Man's Sky or Star Citizen I'd say (although I think No Man's Sky will be fairly light on being objective driven too).

elyetis

Yeah actual sandbox game like this one really aren't for everyone, as much as I love the game, that's why I didn't advise buying to most of my friend.
I know it just wouldn't be their cup of tea.

Thought cooperative play is usualy enough for us to play together, but i'll wait to see how good it get once wings gets in the game early next year.

"Why should I get to Elite rank? What does that give me? And where are these NPC's, factions, and world events? The game does nothing to even let me know these things exist, or how to get to them."

Getting to Elite gives you the satisfaction of getting to Elite. That's it. It's a thin premise that exists solely to have *some* kind of progression. The reason someone plays the game is because they enjoy the gameplay in and of itself. There's no "Congratulations!" screen. There's no big story pay off or artificial feeling of completion. If you don't enjoy the moment-to-moment gameplay of just being a space trucker or hunting down criminals or aligning yourself with some faction and trying to rise through their ranks or pirating or sneaking around security with a cargo full of contraband, etc. then yeah, there's nothing for you here.

When you're docked (as you start the game) if you enter starport services, the first thing you see on the right hand side is a ticker of news events (called GalNet) that's frequently updated with procedural things that are happening in the game. Slave uprisings, civil wars, political intrigue, market trends and so on. If you go to the systems mentioned in the news updates, you'll see missions related to whatever's happening there and which missions you choose and how you complete them will have some effect on the end result (along with every other player) of that event.

Burny

Because you might want to get to the top and the knowledge of having gotten there, together with the availability of capable in game equipment satisfies you. You have to find your way there by yourself or by cooperating with other players. In-game or outside of the game (Wikis, how-to's etc.). You'll have to learn how to handle your spaceship, how to dock, how to fight, when to flee, where to mine, where to trade. It's intentional that all of that requires some time and mastery and none of that is fed to you during a rollercoaster ride of a story.

Or maybe you don't want any of that or not in the way elite offers it. Then I see no reason why you should get angry at the game for not being what you want it to be. It's not "shit", it's merely not what you wanted. With some research, you might have realized that this was not the game for you and never will be, if you're not into simulation-like games.

With some research, you might have realized that this was not the game for you and never will be, if you're not into simulation-like games.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP gives enough information to have known this. I mean I didn't put a disclaimer or anything, but was it necessary?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP gives enough information to have known this. I mean I didn't put a disclaimer or anything, but was it necessary?

Some people like to dive in blindly based on hype alone. Anyone with any semblance of assessment should thoroughly research a game before placing down money and then having any legitimate complaints about it. One should also point to DayZ and ask what was the point of it if there's no real sense of progression and quest delivery. Ugh. The current-gen market really poisoned the waters of self-discovery and authentic player agency.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The current-gen market really poisoned the waters of self-discovery and authentic player agency.

Seems like it's taken a hit, but this, Minecraft and Star Citizen's popularity are showing these types of games remain just as viable as any other. It is pretty telling when players don't know what an actual sandbox is, versus the restrictive set pieces of say, Skyrim. (I loved that game too, so not trying to start shit).

I just bought this (along with a joystick). Now I have watched a few tutorials on some of the basics (how to fly, dock, navigate etc) but does anybody know of any good starter guides? Something that might point me in the way of some good basic trade routes or set up tips?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Now, one thing I wish I could change is the ability to have maybe multiple ships at a time. You know, maybe so I could use one for my legit operations and one to go terrorize wedding convoys and whatnot with. One ship gets too high of a bounty ( under an assumed name, natch) I could just crash it into a planet and escape in my legit ship.

fanboi

Banned
Now, one thing I wish I could change is the ability to have maybe multiple ships at a time. You know, maybe so I could use one for my legit operations and one to go terrorize wedding convoys and whatnot with. One ship gets too high of a bounty ( under an assumed name, natch) I could just crash it into a planet and escape in my legit ship.

Well the Anaconda has in the description two slots that fits Sidewinders...

JambiBum

I've had a rough night. I wanted to meet Aztech in Jotunheim but it was 150lys away from my current location. I managed to plot a course but I died three times on my way and ended up losing 80k because of it. One time I died because as I was docked a station decided to hate me and murdered me as I was tring to leave. Another time I died because I picked a fight with a ship that had the deadly status. Was doing well until he broke my shields and then my canopy so I started to lose oxygen. I only had a five minute timer and I was pretty far away from a station. I almost made it to a station but as I was trying to drop out of supercruise to the station I couldn't see it because my canopy was busted so it wouldn't drop me out at the correct location so I ended up suffocating to death.

Note to anyone that gets their canopy busted, you can't see targetting reticules directly ahead of you because you have no glass there. You have to angle it so that you can see it correctly.

JambiBum

Update time.

Hi everyone,

Here's the full change log for 1.02. Just a few quick changes to make your play experience even smoother! Enjoy! - the servers should be down for around 10-15 minutes from ~12.30GMT 18/12/14

- Allow text chat to function for any voice comms member, not just for friends
- Fix for a rare crash when scanning unexplored systems
- Fix for a rare crash during networked combat
- Fix for a very rare crash in or near starports and outposts
- Fix for a very rare crash after migrating servers on network island changes
- Corrections to some mission descriptions
- Corrections to some galaxy data in rarely visited systems
- Extend a time-out that occasionally triggers a disconnect during hyperspace
- Extend some previously added diagnostics to further refine the data gathered

And there are some server-side changes, too:

- After yet another discussion with the rare commodity producers, Commanders should now be eligible to only purchase rare goods up to their own personal allocation, instead of buying everybody else's ration as well.
- Universal Cartographics has issued a new purchasing policy, so Commanders exploring supermassive stellar bodies should no longer receive supermassive payouts.
- Tune matchmaking to significantly improve the chances of meeting other Commanders in space
- Improvements to Exploration server performance

Alefas

Neo Member
Could someone summarize how pvp interactions are in the game? Is it similar to Eve online where if you are in unprotected space anyone can kill you? Are there "policed" systems?

I am very interested in the game but without the single player version, I don't want to worry losing my ship from annoying enemy players.

Serrato

I was thinking that when I got enough money, I modify my hauler to have 16 cargo space and change it in ''Mining'' Specs.

Does that sound useful or should I wait for a bigger ship?

Dougald

Could someone summarize how pvp interactions are in the game? Is it similar to Eve online where if you are in unprotected space anyone can kill you? Are there "policed" systems?

I am very interested in the game but without the single player version, I don't want to worry losing my ship from annoying enemy players.

There are policed systems but its not like Eve where any aggression will invoke a quick curbstomp from CONCORD

There is a "Solo" mode though which is identical to the online game without all those pesky players. Not that I have come across many human players playing in "Open" mode anyway

JambiBum

There is a single player version. It's the solo mode. You just connect to the servers. That's why some people think there isn't a "single player version" but, even if you are in systems that are controlled by a government, people can still attack you, they will just gain a bounty for doing so. If you are friendly with the controlling faction of a system they will come to help you though. You can play in solo if you want and take your commander over to the open play, but I'd recommend just starting in open anyway.

Alefas

Neo Member
There are policed systems but its not like Eve where any aggression will invoke a quick curbstomp from CONCORD

There is a "Solo" mode though which is identical to the online game without all those pesky players. Not that I have come across many human players playing in "Open" mode anyway

There is a single player version. It's the solo mode. You just connect to the servers. That's why some people think there isn't a "single player version" but, even if you are in systems that are controlled by a government, people can still attack you, they will just gain a bounty for doing so. If you are friendly with the controlling faction of a system they will come to help you though. You can play in solo if you want and take your commander over to the open play, but I'd recommend just starting in open anyway.

Thank you both. So you can play in a protected "Solo" mode if you want. That is great. Anyone has a good joystick to recommend?

Dougald

Thank you both. So you can play in a protected "Solo" mode if you want. That is great. Anyone has a good joystick to recommend?

I bought a cheap Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS which is pretty good if you don't want to drop 3 digits. You can do pretty much everything without needing to use the keyboard, though I still find myself reaching for it when I need to do something quickly without using the ship menu.

GeoGonzo

I was thinking that when I got enough money, I modify my hauler to have 16 cargo space and change it in ''Mining'' Specs.

Does that sound useful or should I wait for a bigger ship?

You can mine just fine with a Hauler BUT keep in mind:

a) You will need to pick up pieces manually. Many people find this tedious.

b) Mining can be very profitable if you find the right place, and you really want to find a good spot. Consider exploring around before switching to mining, or you may find yourself mining in a bad place simply because otherwise it feels like you are just wasting time.

c) You will need a mining laser and a refinery. Some outfitting advice: Don't sell your shield, you'll need it and you don't even have a weapon anymore. Cargo space is neat, but not as important as it is for trading. You will also need a refinery... I strongly advice to save up and buy one with TWO bins, instead of one. If you don't you'll probably wish you had once you find yourself having to manually vent after picking up every single piece of metal.

Serrato

You can mine just fine with a Hauler BUT keep in mind:

a) You will need to pick up pieces manually. Many people find this tedious.

b) Mining can be very profitable if you find the right place, and you really want to find a good spot. Consider exploring around before switching to mining, or you may find yourself mining in a bad place simply because otherwise it feels like you are just wasting time.

c) You will need a mining laser and a refinery. Some outfitting advice: Don't sell your shield, you'll need it and you don't even have a weapon anymore. Cargo space is neat, but not as important as it is for trading. You will also need a refinery... I strongly advice to save up and buy one with TWO bins, instead of one. If you don't you'll probably wish you had once you find yourself having to manually vent after picking up every single piece of metal.

Ah! Thanks for the advice. I don't mind scooping. In fact I like it, it's like training for super precise piloting.

So the raffinery with two bins? Noted. I was also thinking to upgrade with a better FSD to counteracct the increased weight from the Cargo Racks and Mining Laser.

And for exploring, I thought using my basic Sidewinder to find the good spots then come mining with the Hauler.

JambiBum

One thing you should know, don't think of playing in solo mode as a "protected" mode. You'll die to NPCs more than you will players most of the time. NPCs can be pirates as well and probably more ruthless.

How capable is the Hauler? I'm going to sell the Freagle and try and buy a Hauler so I can start making more money. Right now I have the basic Sidewinder and 4 cargo spots is killing me. I just don't want to be completely defenseless out there while being an Ice Pirate.

EDIT: It says 1x small hardpoint ... does that mean I only can have one weapon?

Xane

How capable is the Hauler? I'm going to sell the Freagle and try and buy a Hauler so I can start making more money. Right now I have the basic Sidewinder and 4 cargo spots is killing me. I just don't want to be completely defenseless out there while being an Ice Pirate.

Sell your Freagle and buy some additional cargo holders for your Sidewinder instead. Buy a Hauler once you have around 60k so you have enough credits for a full load.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yea it has 1 small hardpoint. Don't fight in a hauler, run for your life.

How is everyone taking screenshots? Is there a folder that they go to or are you guys using something else?

F10 takes screenshots (which go into your my docs/pictures/frontier developments folder), if you're in solo mode ALT+F10 will take an 8K screenshot. For some reason late in the gamma they disabled the super high res screenshots in open mode.

Carcetti

The game feels a bit overwhelming at the start because I have so little time to play these days thanks to other things getting in the way. So I feel like I should maximize every moment to get faster to my goal, which would be having a nice exploration ship equipped for some combat. And I have no idea how to get started.

Hellers

Yeah. If you're fighting instead of running in a hauler you're doing it wrong :)

I got my hauler last night and it only started to feel worth it when I upgraded it to 16 cargo slots. I needed a bigger power plant and frame shift drive too so it's quite expensive. I'll be running it until I can afford a kitted out Cobra though so it's worth it.

I wish we could have an outside camera. The game is missing a lot of great UI less screenshot opportunities.

Sell your Freagle and buy some additional cargo holders for your Sidewinder instead. Buy a Hauler once you have around 60k so you have enough credits for a full load.

Yea it has 1 small hardpoint. Don't fight in a hauler, run for your life.

Yeah. If you're fighting instead of running in a hauler you're doing it wrong :)

I got my hauler last night and it only started to feel worth it when I upgraded it to 16 cargo slots. I needed a bigger power plant and frame shift drive too so it's quite expensive. I'll be running it until I can afford a kitted out Cobra though so it's worth it.

I wish we could have an outside camera. The game is missing a lot of great UI less screenshot opportunities.

Ha, yeah, didn't plan on fighting in it for sure. Think I will expand the Sidewinder first though, seems a bit cheaper, I wasn't sure if you could expand the cargo hold on that thing. 4 slots is killing me. According to the Wiki I can double the Sidewinder to 8 (and still keep shields) .. but will I need to upgrade a lot of other things also?

Dougald

The game feels a bit overwhelming at the start because I have so little time to play these days thanks to other things getting in the way. So I feel like I should maximize every moment to get faster to my goal, which would be having a nice exploration ship equipped for some combat. And I have no idea how to get started.

You can do both with the basic sidewinder. Sure, you can't get the enhanced data, but you can still bind the basic discovery scanner that comes with it to a fire group and get exploring!

Use the money you get selling the discoveries at universal cartographics to get that Adder, ASP or whatever and a better discovery scanner, continue forever...

DrBo42

I would only do this in solo mode but... does the market "tick" while you are docked, or do you need to fly out and back in to get an updated market?

It doesn't work anymore. But when it did, you just refresh the market or let it refresh on its own (although that rarely worked for me).

Dougald

Awesome advice. Thanks!

Needing to bind the discovery scanner to a fire group is what threw me initially. It doesn't have the greatest range so just fly around uncharted systems scanning until you find planets. Target the planet/moon/star/whatever ("Unknown Object" in your contacts list) and you'll automatically start scanning it for data when you're in range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom