• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just picked up the game and I'm using a 360 pad.

I'm having an experiment with docking before I jump into the game proper. I've been asked to proceed to a landing pad, which I've done, I've matched up the ship on that landing radar that pops up as well - should it automatically land when I'm close enough? Or is there a specific button to press once you're in range and matched up?

You have to bring it down to the pad completely, make sure you've deployed your landing gear and that your ship is facing forward on the landing indicator.

Just picked up the game and I'm using a 360 pad.

I'm having an experiment with docking before I jump into the game proper. I've been asked to proceed to a landing pad, which I've done, I've matched up the ship on that landing radar that pops up as well - should it automatically land when I'm close enough? Or is there a specific button to press once you're in range and matched up?

Make sure you are facing the "tower". There's a blast pad think that should always be to the back of you. It won't 'trigger' or tell you about this, you just have to make sure to face the tower and lower down. The radar will show your ship placement and a little circle you'll be lining up and then thruster down.

pottuvoi

Banned
As Boo said, typically if you are going for the fast approach you want to get 8-10k away and line up and just hit it. You can also try the stealth approach from 7-9k away but it's a bit more difficult to pull off because it relies on turning off assists and kind of just floating towards the entrance at a decent speed. They won't scan you at all this way, but if you misjudge your alignment and hit something then you're dead since you have no shields.
I usually do sort of combination.

Going in decently cold in stealth mode and as fast as possible.
Usually get inside without scan and only with some heat damage or scrapes from Lansing pad..

JambiBum

White stars sure are pretty.

0B9LZpl5fGAjSRFJqT1lfU2d5eUU

This is the glow they give off inside your cockpit.

Moobabe

Make sure you are facing the "tower". There's a blast pad think that should always be to the back of you. It won't 'trigger' or tell you about this, you just have to make sure to face the tower and lower down. The radar will show your ship placement and a little circle you'll be lining up and then thruster down.

You have to bring it down to the pad completely, make sure you've deployed your landing gear and that your ship is facing forward on the landing indicator.

Thanks guys - I guess I'm probably facing the wrong direction!

Gaz_RB

This game has the Milky Way mapped out, right?

So theoretically, I could find Deneb? It's the star system that housed the "beings" responsible for creating the zones in Roadside Picnic (the book that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series was based on).

Is that possible?

It is! I'm heading to the Witch Head Nebula, which might be awesome. It'll probably take weeks to get there though

Some people here were mentioning still having difficulty exiting super cruise at the right speed/point in space. This video is about bounty hunting, but he notes that when you're in super cruise, lock a destination and aim at it, and a little blue bar next to your throttle indicator will indicate the speed you should be going to safely exit.

If you stay within that blue range, your ship will actually auto-throttle to help drop you out at the right point.

It is! I'm heading to the Witch Head Nebula, which might be awesome. It'll probably take weeks to get there though

Just the idea of this, of traveling to locations we've only seen through images, is amazing. Love it.

Sinatar

Some people here were mentioning still having difficulty exiting super cruise at the right speed/point in space. This video is about bounty hunting, but he notes that when you're in super cruise, lock a destination and aim at it, and a little blue bar next to your throttle indicator will indicate the speed you should be going to safely exit.

If you stay within that blue range, your ship will actually auto-throttle to help drop you out at the right point.

Just the idea of this, of traveling to locations we've only seen through images, is amazing. Love it.

During the Gamma someone actually made it to Sagitarrius A*, the super massive black hole at the center of the galaxy. I love space nerd shit like that.

Ha, I thought a few times I had dropped out without any action on my part. I've started REALLY paying attention to those little blue bars on the left side (speed/distance I think) because that's really letting me know what I need to be doing.

It's crazy, hours spent in the game, can fly around a station facing it with thrusters and throttle but it's the little things you just find that make your life so much easier (like NOT having Jettison Cargo set to a toggle close to your landing gear).

Seriously, I think about this damned game all day! Sucks I don't have a laptop near by when I play because some of this stuff I forget by the time I get home.

Especially adding friends as I don't play next to my computer. Maybe I'll print up that Google docs list and add everybody that hasn't added me yet.

M4shy

Neo Member
I haven't researched into E:D that much, but to me it seems like EVE but in first person. Would I be correct in saying that?

And that sounds awesome.

Sinatar

I haven't researched into E:D that much, but to me it seems like EVE but in first person. Would I be correct in saying that?

And that sounds awesome.

It doesn't have the player run economy that Eve has, but it has direct ship piloting. There are similarities between the games, but they feel very different to play.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Less spreadsheets, more flightsticks.

Although I'm hoping they'll add a real player driven economy somewhere down the line, it's one of the things that made EVE what it is today. Not that EVE became Game of Thrones in Space in a single year, but I hope it's a direction Frontier has considered.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone have any good flight tips?

For circling around something I'm currently using a horizontal thruster and yawing in the opposite direction.

If I reduce my mass do the thrusters work faster?

Ho Hsi in one stop? I feel like I'm going about trying to get to Ho Hsi the wrong way... the map plotted a path that looped away from Ho Hsi a few jumps before going south and then back towards Ho Hsi. I'm at OBE now and I think I'm done for the night >.<

Edit: And I've made at least 3 or 4 refueling stops with many more to go.

Hmm not sure...maybe I got lucky with starting position? Or you guys wandered off...? It seemed the same way for me with economical or fastest route. I was worried after seeing the route map the other guy posted!

I just bought this (along with a joystick). Now I have watched a few tutorials on some of the basics (how to fly, dock, navigate etc) but does anybody know of any good starter guides? Something that might point me in the way of some good basic trade routes or set up tips?

This is nice to read before starting out:
http://www.incgamers.com/2014/12/elite-dangerous-beginners-starting-guide-tips

Not hugely informative but pretty reassuring.

Thanati

I am loving this game! The sense of scale is immense and I just love the feeling of traveling between the stars.

How do you guys meet up with one another to play?

Guys, help. I finally have the game and managed to log in fine this morning, yet now every time I launch the game it's telling me to "Launch game from launcher to make sure it's up to date". Except I have been launching it from the launcher :[

Anyone had this issue and / or fixed it?

Dougald

Guys, help. I finally have the game and managed to log in fine this morning, yet now every time I launch the game it's telling me to "Launch game from launcher to make sure it's up to date". Except I have been launching it from the launcher :[

Anyone had this issue and / or fixed it?

I had that issue and it went away as soon as I quit the launcher itself and re-opened it, rather than quitting the game and pressing "play" again in the launcher

If you've tried that, there are some options to verify game files in the launcher menu iirc, worth a try.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Weird, I abandoned a kill quest but they give me the full credit reward anyway.

Oh well, easiest 14k CR of my life.

I had that issue and it went away as soon as I quit the launcher itself and re-opened it, rather than quitting the game and pressing "play" again in the launcher

If you've tried that, there are some options to verify game files in the launcher menu iirc, worth a try.

Yeah, I tried that. Trying "Validate game files" at the moment. Hoping that'll fix it.

On a side note, this game is basically everything I wanted when I first heard about EvE (albeit could do with more of the politics, the politics of EvE were possibly the best thing I've seen in gaming). Was so let down when I loaded EvE for the first time and I didn't have direct control of my ship. :[
Looking forward to the future expansions of this game SO MUCH. I love that the reason all the ships are aerodynamic is so that they can fly in atmosphere when they release planetary landing later down the line.
And I know I shouldn't really compare Star Citizen to Elite because they're different games, but every extra detail I heard about Star Citizen put me off the game whilst with Elite, I don't think there's anything I've heard that hasn't increased my hype exponentially. Also, gotta support Elite since, y'know, Britain represent.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Just upgraded to the Adder... There's so much room!

Yeah, I'm thinking I may just skip the Hauler and go straight for the Adder too. Adder has an extra internal so I can fit 4T more cargo with everything else the same, plus the Adder can pack more firepower and is more nimble and a little bit faster too. Or I may drop a small cargo rack and install a fuel scoop instead.

I think I'll trade my Eagle in tonight and get the Adder. I can always buy another Eagle once I'm rich!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

To get even more precise, this is the best way I've found:

Lock a destination, then go maximum throttle at it. As soon as the target is 7 seconds away, drop your throttle into the middle of the blue zone and leave it there. The time to target should fluctuate between 6 and 8 seconds as it auto deaccelerates you until you can safely drop out.

When going into nav points or USSes, I find that I can go in a little more hot as you can drop out 400k away from these things and still be in range. In these cases I drop to middle blue at 7 seconds away, then push the throttle into the upper area of blue.

If it ever reads that you are 4 seconds away, you are probably going to overshoot it. If I'm quick I can nail the right timing with it reading 5 seconds away. It's all about feel, after practice you'll understand it a lot more.

Try to get use to the controls - anyone got tips on best control methods and/or schemes?

Anyone have any good flight tips?

For circling around something I'm currently using a horizontal thruster and yawing in the opposite direction.

If I reduce my mass do the thrusters work faster?

AFAIK, holding your speed in the blue region will generally make you faster but that's it. The fastest way to circle around something, and make any kind of turns really, is rotating 90 degrees and pitching. Yawing is there just for finer control.

Also, I find that sometimes it's useful to use your vertical thrusters while pitching towards your target. It will slow down your turn at first but once you let go of the vertical thrusters, you'll get a turning boost (kinda like drifting in place). Of course, the fastest way to turn is turning flight assist off, especially if you're in an endless loop chasing one another, it can give you the advantage. In those looping chase situations, I hold flight assist off, pitch until I get the target in my sights, quickly turn flight assist on, set speed to 0 and immediately thrust forward to the safe blue speed so I quickly gain control after doing a fast unassisted turn.

Anyway, I tried to do some group stuff with a fellow gaffer but it didn't quite work out well, it's tough figuring out what's the best way to go about this, sorry for that. I'm at about 200k now, a bit more and I'll be able to get the Cobra and start doing some serious shit, hopefully. Loving the game so far. Last time I was so obsessed over a game like this was probably Mount & Blade.

Klyka

Banned
Living in Ho Hsi is getting harder and harder. I have a 200k bounty on me now and the Ho Hsi Corp Security Vessels REALLY hate me. I am still trying to do as many missions for jet comm as possible and kill any ho hsi corp ship i come across.

Hope we can actually make a difference soon!

Gaz_RB

Lock a destination, then go maximum throttle at it. As soon as the target is 7 seconds away, drop your throttle into the middle of the blue zone and leave it there. The time to target should fluctuate between 6 and 8 seconds as it auto deaccelerates you until you can safely drop out.

When going into nav points or USSes, I find that I can go in a little more hot as you can drop out 400k away from these things and still be in range. In these cases I drop to middle blue at 7 seconds away, then push the throttle into the upper area of blue.

If it ever reads that you are 4 seconds away, you are probably going to overshoot it. If I'm quick I can nail the right timing with it reading 5 seconds away. It's all about feel, after practice you'll understand it a lot more.

Great advice!

Saitek X-55.

26-102-073-TS

Do the toggle switches work well to map to anything in the game?

Many moons ago I was big into flight simulators and had the Saitek X-45. College came, then wife came, then kid came and I sold all of that including my rudder pedals.

Years later, my gaming hobby has slowly picked back up as my career has become settled down, my kid would rather play with her own shit in her room lol, and my wife is a virtual pilgrim and goes to bed at like 8 or 9 every night.

I see folks are picking up the X-52. Any specific reason why? If I recall playing Aces High (and Aces High 2), FS2004, Falcon 4.0, etc... having those extra toggle switches would have been very handy.

And now I am looking at TrackIR stuff... ugh. lol.

Brick

This might be a dumb question, but I saw someone on Reddit mention a Storyline in Sorbago. Is there actually a storyline in this game? I don't need one at all (I'm loving just making my own way), I'm just curious if that is actually a thing.

Gaz_RB

This might be a dumb question, but I saw someone on Reddit mention a Storyline in Sorbago. Is there actually a storyline in this game? I don't need one at all (I'm loving just making my own way), I'm just curious if that is actually a thing.
Yeah if you look at the news when you're at a space station, there is a large scale story going on, sort of. The slaves rebelled in Sorbago and if you go there, you'll find lots of huge war zones which you can take part in.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah if you look at the news when you're at a space station, there is a large scale story going on, sort of. The slaves rebelled in Sorbago and if you go there, you'll find lots of huge war zones which you can take part in.

There is also a storyline in the Federation developing about a drug being declared illegal and the system producing it being VERY unhappy with that.

RedSwirl

So how is this compared to the older Elite games. I've been playing Elite 1 and Frontier for the first time this past week.

DrBo42

How do you pick up objects? I deployed the scoop but can't seem to collect the items; back boxes for example.

Target the cargo and your compass should transform into a scooping UI. Place the canister in the center and approach slowly (UI will be blue if you're going a safe speed to collect).

Skyzard

Banned
Voice attack is so damn good! Wasn't hard to setup at all either.

AFAIK, holding your speed in the blue region will generally make you faster but that's it. The fastest way to circle around something, and make any kind of turns really, is rotating 90 degrees and pitching. Yawing is there just for finer control.

Also, I find that sometimes it's useful to use your vertical thrusters while pitching towards your target. It will slow down your turn at first but once you let go of the vertical thrusters, you'll get a turning boost (kinda like drifting in place). Of course, the fastest way to turn is turning flight assist off, especially if you're in an endless loop chasing one another, it can give you the advantage. In those looping chase situations, I hold flight assist off, pitch until I get the target in my sights, quickly turn flight assist on, set speed to 0 and immediately thrust forward to the safe blue speed so I quickly gain control after doing a fast unassisted turn.

Anyway, I tried to do some group stuff with a fellow gaffer but it didn't quite work out well, it's tough figuring out what's the best way to go about this, sorry for that. I'm at about 200k now, a bit more and I'll be able to get the Cobra and start doing some serious shit, hopefully. Loving the game so far. Last time I was so obsessed over a game like this was probably Mount & Blade.

Thanks I'll need to give that a try with the flight assist off! Haven't used that at all yet.

JambiBum

How do you pick up objects? I deployed the scoop but can't seem to collect the items; back boxes for example.

There's a crosshair on the bottom left. Where targets show up. Line up the item in that box. Just make sure you don't go too fast or you can destroy it.

Also tips for new bounty hunters, the bigger a ship is the higher the bounty. Sidewinders will usually only net you around 5k unless it's a player that has racked up a large bounty.

Ronnie

Banned
I have the Kill Warrant scanner assigned to a fire group but it's not scanning any ships in range? How do I use it without firing my weapons at the same time?

Weird, I abandoned a kill quest but they give me the full credit reward anyway.

Oh well, easiest 14k CR of my life.

This happened to me as well. My target pleaded mercy, told me to meet him somewhere, I abandoned the mission but I still got the reward.

Klyka

Banned
I have the Kill Warrant scanner assigned to a fire group but it's not scanning any ships in range? How do I use it without firing my weapons at the same time?

This happened to me as well. My target pleaded mercy, told me to meet him somewhere, I abandoned the mission but I still got the reward.

Use a different firing button or put it into a firegroup without the weapons.

JambiBum

Assign it to a different fire group than the ones you have your weapons assigned to. I have multiple groups for different things. All of my weapons are in one grouping while scanners are in another. Remember that the 1 and 2 aren't your groups but your primary and secondary.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

I have my auto cannons all assigned to fire group 1, and my kill scanner assigned to fire group 2.

I just press the secondary fire button (i.e. group 2) to start the scan, and it scans without firing my guns. Remember you have to hold down the button for the scan to complete.

Never even occurred to me to keep an eye out on the time. This approach works pretty well, thanks!

Saitek X-55.

26-102-073-TS

Do the toggle switches work well to map to anything in the game?

Many moons ago I was big into flight simulators and had the Saitek X-45. College came, then wife came, then kid came and I sold all of that including my rudder pedals.

Years later, my gaming hobby has slowly picked back up as my career has become settled down, my kid would rather play with her own shit in her room lol, and my wife is a virtual pilgrim and goes to bed at like 8 or 9 every night.

I see folks are picking up the X-52. Any specific reason why? If I recall playing Aces High (and Aces High 2), FS2004, Falcon 4.0, etc... having those extra toggle switches would have been very handy.

And now I am looking at TrackIR stuff... ugh. lol.
have you read the reviews on this thing?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102073

looks like a big, fat no to me.

JambiBum

Torpedos are pretty powerful once you get someone's shields down. If they connect they can pretty much destroy someone in one go. Too bad the torpedo rack I have only carries one and every time I want to reload it it costs me 15k. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom