• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
From orbit down to Europa from Braben, in an iEagle no less. The transition looks to be like the one from supercruise to local space.

Not as bad as I expected from that description, mostly because I think it matters that you're not just staring at blank space.

A tiny little thing that would drastically improve these transitions, IMO: get rid of the "frozen" feeling. The transition seems like a loading screen because there is a distinct feeling of "player presses a button (to drop out), screen freezes, instance loads in".

Also--possibly related to this "why does Horizons lighting look 'flat' sometimes"--I wonder if this "fix" applies to planets, too:

KK9KHPU.jpg

There's a bug affecting the lighting.

I re-posted the image to make the 'instructions' a bit clearer.
Someone told me about this a while ago, but I've only just got around to checking it out.
If you go to a Ice Ring system and hold down the 3 key - the game will draw in the shadows. When you are in the cockpit, pressing 3 focuses on the radar. Simply press it again to return to normal focus, except this time hold it down. I wedged the key in place.
This obviously isn't an official fix, it's just a workaround. But it proves 100% that there has been a shadow problem in the ring systems for a long time. I also suspect this is why the interiors of the stations look different to they did during Premium Beta / Beta.

Confirmed by FD:

Hey /u/mortenfischer,
I know that this is something we are looking into now and it is logged in our bug DB, so hopefully we can get this resolved soon. :)
Thanks for the page & fly safe,
CMDR Falcon

JambiBum

10 million an hour flying in what?

I'm in a type 6 for the jump range but really anything with decent range + at least 30 cargo space can do the runs. You get the money from missions, not commodities, so you don't need a lot of cargo space. The time sink comes in from making the trips. Just to get to the system I had to make a 400ly trip. Then from the station to the missions it's another 300ly. The system is called Robigo if you're interested.

Lime

Not as bad as I expected from that description, mostly because I think it matters that you're not just staring at blank space.

A tiny little thing that would drastically improve these transitions, IMO: get rid of the "frozen" feeling. The transition seems like a loading screen because there is a distinct feeling of "player presses a button (to drop out), screen freezes, instance loads in".

Also--possibly related to this "why does Horizons lighting look 'flat' sometimes"--I wonder if this "fix" applies to planets, too:

KK9KHPU.jpg

Confirmed by FD:

That explains my experience yesterday. I couldn't understand why my ship and other ships were shadowed, yet the asteroids were glowingly white. I don't recall this being in the original release back in January?

Pomerlaw

The 2nd image looks so much better... Like an ultra mode lol

With DB saying sub-surface scattering isn't working for ice in the latest Europa vid... It will probably look better too once they find the problem.

Jedi2016

KK9KHPU.jpg

The problem I have with this as a "bug" is that it completely removes the effect that what you're looking at is ice and not rock. The bottom picture just looks like rock. This isn't even a shadow fix, look at it.. it's actually just removing the ambient lighting from the scene. Not just from the ice, but from the ship as well. I prefer the top shot, by a mile.

The problem I have with this as a "bug" is that it completely removes the effect that what you're looking at is ice and not rock. The bottom picture just looks like rock. This isn't even a shadow fix, look at it.. it's actually just removing the ambient lighting from the scene. Not just from the ice, but from the ship as well. I prefer the top shot, by a mile.

I'd prefer somewhere in the middle, where the bounced light is filling in some shadow detail, but shadows are still present. Top shot is just too flat to me. The background lighting/texture is MUCH better in the bottom, too.

EDIT: Good call on the distances, you're right.

JambiBum

I don't think that once they fix it that the game will look like the bottom picture. That's a "fix" that the guy got by hitting the key to look at your sensors. I imagine that once they do fix it that it will look better than that.

Newsletter is out.

CQC livestream on 12/2.

Black Asp is pretty hot.

Dev update

From the Desk of Executive Producer, Michael Brookes.

As I write this we’re all busy pushing to get the Horizons Beta released – we’ve announced that it will be released Monday 30th November.

There are a huge amount of changes for this release which always complicates testing and development. As I’m sure you’re aware we’re switching to a 64 bit-only client for Horizons (season 1 will remain available as a 32 bit client as well as 64 bit) which allows us to simulate the planet surfaces to the fidelity we want. This is obviously a big change and we’ll need you guys to help hammer through the game to shake out any issues once the beta is released.

I’d like to thank everyone who chipped in and organised sending us pizzas over the weekend and beyond – your generosity is much appreciated!

While Horizons Planetary Landings beta is available, access to the 1.5 beta will continue and will operate on the test servers. This required us to shut down and update the test servers, which is now complete. The 1.5 update will go live for Xbox One, PC and Mac at the same time as the Horizons store release. Issues addressed applicable to the 1.5 update that are found during the Horizons beta will be included in the 1.5 release.

One such change coming to both will be the increased speed of shield recharging while you are docked to complement the changes we’ve already applied to Shield Cell Banks. We’ve also fixed a number of issues raised during the 1.5 beta.

One of the big tasks for the Horizons Planetary Landings release is to populate the various settlements and ports throughout habited space and beyond. We’re using a different system to do this than we used for the star ports in orbit which gives us more flexibility with them. This means that we can more easily add new ones or upgrade existing ones, so this will feature in community goals moving forwards. We’ll take care to balance the community goals overall so season one only players can still participate in some of them.

Placement of star ports in orbit involves interaction with Stellar Forge, so offering the same flexibility to change as with surface bases is a lot more complicated to do. We do plan on allowing the same level of changes in future, though. Note that this doesn’t mean the automatic creation of new facilities right away, but it’s a necessary part of that direction which is very much in our long range plan.

As well as the 1.5 release for Xbox One we’re working on the First Discovered By, Private Groups, DLC (such as paint jobs) features, as well as Horizons of course! We’ll provide more details on all these as we approach their release.

We’re also continuing to further improve the VR experience. HTC Vive and Steam VR support will be added to both the 1.5 and Horizons Beta as well as various bug fixes and tweaks. We’re continuing to work with Oculus, and will let you know as soon as there is any conclusion.

Sounds like settlement-building will be easier to integrate in CGs.

Should I have bought Elite: Dangerous off Steam now or just ordered the whole thing with the new expansion?

Have I made a mistake (which can be refunded, of course)?

Lime

Should I have bought Elite: Dangerous off Steam now or just ordered the whole thing with the new expansion?

Have I made a mistake (which can be refunded, of course)?

No you get a discount of 25 percent of horizons if you already own the base game

This 25 percent is what you just paid for it on steam

Perhaps some of the other effects are bugged as well. For ice it should have a translucent effect so you know it's ice your looking at. Subsurface scattering I think it's called.

DrBo42

Man that transition to normal space... I knew it was coming but it's so disappointing in landings. At least in space you're not looking at much but a blatant freeze during descent? There has to be a solution to make it less jarring. Atmospheric landing is going to be worse with frozen clouds.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I wanna go super fast in the game without my FPS dropping to 13 FPS. I just got this and was so excited but the engine fucks up royally on Win10 and new AMD drivers.

So naturally I started reading up about it and it seems the main issue is that the game engine is essentially single-threaded during gottagofastmode and the current AMD/Win10 combo is just making it worse. I hope they can fix it soon because god damn if this game doesn't look great and run fantastic on Ultra downsampled to 1440p, just odd dipping from 100+ FPS to 14 :lol. If it dipped to 30 or something I'd deal but I'm considering downgrading my drivers just to give the game a fair shot.

Was pleasantly surprised it's essentially an MMO too, thought it was a single player affair :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I wanna go super fast in the game without my FPS dropping to 13 FPS. I just got this and was so excited but the engine fucks up royally on Win10 and new AMD drivers.

So naturally I started reading up about it and it seems the main issue is that the game engine is essentially single-threaded during gottagofastmode and the current AMD/Win10 combo is just making it worse. I hope they can fix it soon because god damn if this game doesn't look great and run fantastic on Ultra downsampled to 1440p, just odd dipping from 100+ FPS to 14 :lol. If it dipped to 30 or something I'd deal but I'm considering downgrading my drivers just to give the game a fair shot.

Was pleasantly surprised it's essentially an MMO too, thought it was a single player affair :)

Well the next major update is transitioning things to a 64 bit engine which should hopefully include better multi-core/thread usage.

Hylian7

I have an nvidia card myself and get amazing framerates with everything maxed. I had no idea it was that bad on AMD.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
wow, that sounds nice, source? never heard of this so far

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=34a3bffde9&e=22b476946f

There are a huge amount of changes for this release which always complicates testing and development. As I’m sure you’re aware we’re switching to a 64 bit-only client for Horizons (season 1 will remain available as a 32 bit client as well as 64 bit) which allows us to simulate the planet surfaces to the fidelity we want. This is obviously a big change and we’ll need you guys to help hammer through the game to shake out any issues once the beta is released.

Kyoufu

I started playing this game again yesterday after like a year of hiatus. Managed to make around 25 million credits in a short amount of time with my trusty Asp.

I wonder though, if I should bother farming the rest needed for an Anaconda and what I'd even do if I get it.

Uthred

Is there any way to buy ship parts and then ferry them around or do you have to fly to the station with the ship you want to outfit?

Jedi2016

Mine was bad yesterday, hasn't been so bad today (this morning, anyway). Maybe not that many people were on, or maybe just because I'm about 5000ly outside of human-occupied space.

There's an evil little man telling me to equip my Vulture with an interdictor and go around terrorizing the starting areas.

Shane86

Got this in the sale and I'm completely lost. Tried the solo mode and I accepted a contract, I had 44 minutes to get there and had absolutely no chance of getting there in time. Is there some kind of fast travel or lightspeed, the game explains nothing to you.

JambiBum

Got this in the sale and I'm completely lost. Tried the solo mode and I accepted a contract, I had 44 minutes to get there and had absolutely no chance of getting there in time. Is there some kind of fast travel or lightspeed, the game explains nothing to you.

Missions are always on timers even when you haven't picked them up because they refresh every so often. You probably picked the mission up at the end of the timer. There's no fast travel, but light speed would be super cruise which you use to jump between systems.

JambiBum

If I lose my ship and can't pay the insurance, do I lose it forever? :/

Yes, but the starter ship is always free. If you put any upgrades into it then you have to pay a percentage of the cost of the upgrades to get them back, but the ship itself is free. Any other ships you buy you always need to have the insurance cost to get them back.

Lime

Yes, but the starter ship is always free. If you put any upgrades into it then you have to pay a percentage of the cost of the upgrades to get them back, but the ship itself is free. Any other ships you buy you always need to have the insurance cost to get them back.

And if I can't pay it back at the moment I die, is it possible to pay it later and retrieve it? Or is the ship including all its upgrades lost forever?

Hylian7

And if I can't pay it back at the moment I die, is it possible to pay it later and retrieve it? Or is the ship including all its upgrades lost forever?

Nope, they're lost forever and you have to re-buy again.

The rule of thumb is don't fly anything you can't pay the insurance on. You can look at the right panel and see how much the re-buy cost is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom