• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

1.5 is bringing some much needed changes to the mission system as well so that will help out new players. Since everyone else is doing it, I'll pass on some tips as well.

When using the galaxy map to plot routes, select fastest route for the one with the least amount of jumps. Economical routes is usually the longer trip but it brings you through systems that have more things to offer at their stations. I'm pretty sure the game defaults to economical routes.

When selecting missions early on, try to choose ones that either involve you bringing cargo somewhere or ones that have you killing a group of pirates. The cargo ones are the easiest as you just deliver the cargo wherever they want you to go. These are usually annotated by a canister symbol + an arrow. As far as the pirate missions go, travel to the system they want you to kill them in and then drop into the nav beacon and wait. You can also try to find low or high intensity resource sites. These have more pirates but are also a little more dangerous. Also, just because someone is wanted, that doesn't always mean that they are a pirate. Pirates usually belong to independent factions within that system. Those faction names are listed under the pilots name and they usually sound kind of piratey. Also if you watch the comms channel they will usually scan you and ask if you have any cargo.

1.5 brings new mission variety and easier to understand missions. That patch should be hitting soon hopefully.

Don't worry about dying in your sidewinder because replacing it is free unless you update things on it. If you do then you have to pay a fraction of the price for the part you upgraded.

Last thing, if you want some more immersion, I'd recommend looking up radio sidewinder or lave radio. These are radio stations made by the community that are based on the game. They have game themed radio ads and news bulletins, and they play space themed music along with some popular stuff. Think of them like the radio stations in GTA. Both of these need VLC media player (or an equivalent) to work.

A few additions to this based on updated patches.

As of 1.4, it defaults to whatever route type you last selected. If you haven't messed with it before, it's economical, but now if you put it on fastest, it will stay there unless you change it again. Also economical routes just refers to the most fuel efficient routes. Bigger jumps = more fuel consumed, so taking a longer series of smaller jumps gets more out of your fuel. However you are right though that 90% of the time you want fastest route, since you can buy more fuel tanks, as well as a Fuel Scoop.

As for any missions that want you to hunt a specific person, or a type of person (pirates for instance), when you target them, it will say "Mission Target" in red on them if they count toward a mission you currently have. It used to not be this way and it was always a pain in the ass to wait and watch for a "What kind of treats do you carry?" before opening fire.

Hylian7

Finished the Fer-De-Lance profile:

Fer-De-Lance

latest

Running around the 50 million credit mark, the Fer-De-Lance is still considered one of the best ships for combat in the game. It is a medium size ship, meaning it can still land on outposts. As of patch 1.5, it has the best balance between agility and firepower capabilities. It is often referred to as the glass cannon, but with A rating thrusters, good shields with boosters or shield cell banks, and pilot skill, the glass part will not be an issue for you. Boasting an impressive class 5 power plant, it really opens up loadout options for you. The ship has one Huge (the largest in the game) hardpoint with four Medium hardpoints. The most common choice for the Huge hardpoint is a Plasma Accelerator, but there are other viable options such as a Cannon. With the 1.5 update and the increased power plant class, you get a lot more room on the Medium hardpoints to put more powerful weapons on them. So far in the beta, one of the best loadouts in a player vs player environment would be a Plasma Accelerator with four Imperial Hammer Railguns. The pitching speed of the Fer-De-Lance was improved in 1.5, allowing for much faster manuevers in combat.

The Fer-De-Lance is not without weaknesses, as mentioned before it can be a glass cannon, and leaving yourself open to taking hits too much can be devastating. It is recommended you invest in improved armor for the ship. As for shields, going with a Bi-Weave (weaker shield, faster regeneration) shield generator and shield boosters looks like the way to go. However you can certainly go for traditional A rating shields and use Shield Cell Banks, however you will need a heat sink. Thankfully the heat buildup has also been reduced in patch 1.5. The power plant, while being increased in size and capacity, is still not infinite. You cannot go A grade across the board and expect it to work out for you.

The Fer-De-Lance is a combat ship, but what kind of combat you want to get into with it is up to you. With a Kill Warrant Scanner and FSD Interdictor, it can be a great bounty hunting ship. For those with more sinister intentions, it can be outfitted with a cargo scanner and some cargo racks for piracy. It cannot hold as much cargo as other more transport-oriented ships, so it is not really recommended for trading. The jump range is decent on it for a combat ship, but the ships more suited for exploration far outclass it in this area. This ship is generally considered one of the high tier combat ships, and if combat is what interests you, this is probably going to be your goal at some point.

Burny

I'm really glad to see the game doing well during the Steam sales. It's definitely nowhere near perfect and not for everybody, but the success is well deserved imo.

Wondering how many people will actually start the game if it was an impulse purchase and then stick through it. Now that space and flight games are pretty uncommon, most people will have to learn completely new controls which is not necessary in fps games largely sharing the base set of controls.

I was wondering if we shouldn't write a comprehensive starter guide, so we don't have to answer the same questions over and over again and will only have to address individual issues. ;-) But a forum OT is not the ideal place. Do we have a Wiki that we could use?

JambiBum

I'm really glad to see the game doing well during the Steam sales. It's definitely nowhere near perfect and not for everybody, but the success is well deserved imo.

Wondering how many people will actually start the game if it was an impulse purchase and then stick through it. Now that space and flight games are pretty uncommon, most people will have to learn completely new controls which is not necessary in fps games largely sharing the base set of controls.

I was wondering if we shouldn't write a comprehensive starter guide, so we don't have to answer the same questions over and over again and will only have to address individual issues. ;-) But a forum OT is not the ideal place. Do we have a Wiki that we could use?

I mean as far as gaf goes, the OT would be the best place for something like that. There are various elite wikis out there though. I think the OP is still banned though so we can't update the opening post with anything.

Hylian7

I mean as far as gaf goes, the OT would be the best place for something like that. There are various elite wikis out there though. I think the OP is still banned though so we can't update the opening post with anything.

Do we know if he's perma'd? Either way we can always PM a mod for that.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bought it too, spent about 2 hours on the basics, till what I assume was a random AI, came in and blew me up.

Will look up more on how to play this, as it took me awhile to figure out docking (apparently, the station's docking bays were all occupied).

bounchfx

okay I need some more advice. I'm trying to do another quest but holy shit why is it so obscure to find a place?

first part of quest was to go to a specific area to look for a black box. I get there, a dude tells me to cut the shit and offers me an alternative, which was meeting him at this place called Marine Hub, in another galaxy. I fly to that galaxy, but now that I'm here I have no idea where to look. I go to a navigation beacon thinking thats it, and nope. I don't see anything labeled Marine Hub anywhere.

what am I missing?

edit: Okay, I went and searched the map for that particular sector instead of just the galaxy map. that helped a lot because i was able to put a more specific destination in. dayum son.

Bought it too, spent about 2 hours on the basics, till what I assume was a random AI, came in and blew me up.

Will look up more on how to play this, as it took me awhile to figure out docking (apparently, the station's docking bays were all occupied).

Yea come back tomorrow. And add some GAFers who have the game on Steam for Q&A. There will be a lot more questions in the days to come.

okay I need some more advice. I'm trying to do another quest but holy shit why is it so obscure to find a place?

first part of quest was to go to a specific area to look for a black box. I get there, a dude tells me to cut the shit and offers me an alternative, which was meeting him at this place called Marine Hub, in another galaxy. I fly to that galaxy, but now that I'm here I have no idea where to look. I go to a navigation beacon thinking thats it, and nope. I don't see anything labeled Marine Hub anywhere.

what am I missing?

So you went to the star system you're supposed to go to but the station doesn't exist? Check the mission details in the left panel.

And generally speaking, ignore those sorts of offers. They may pay you a little more money but it comes at the expense of the reputation you were about to gain with the faction you took the job for.y

Staab

Haha, Bounch you have me rolling with your posts.
You're experiencing pretty much exactly what I am a few days apart.
I've just spent like 2hours yesterday setting up my HOTAS and I ended up crashing into the station by using the wrong button (boost, oops).
Also crashed into a star and burned up.
I shit my pants when I got interdicted after a 1hour long travel to get to a newbie quest (all for a measly 5000 credits lol), turns out it was just Da Police ! and I was cleared.

Love it.

bounchfx

So you went to the star system you're supposed to go to but the station doesn't exist? Check the mission details in the left panel.

And generally speaking, ignore those sorts of offers. They may pay you a little more money but it comes at the expense of the reputation you were about to gain with the faction you took the job for.y

the station was there, but it wasnt on the bottom left UI menu thingies list. it was there however once I looked at the system map instead and got closer I guess. That helped a bunch. good to know about the offers too!

Haha, Bounch you have me rolling with your posts.
You're experiencing pretty much exactly what I am a few days apart.
I've just spent like 2hours yesterday setting up my HOTAS and I ended up crashing into the station by using the wrong button (boost, oops).
Also crashed into a star and burned up.
I shit my pants when I got interdicted after a 1hour long travel to get to a newbie quest (all for a measly 5000 credits lol), turns out it was just Da Police ! and I was cleared.

Love it.

oh man, that is hilarious

- -

man I'm so fucking lost right now lol. I went to find pirates (edit.. apparently I need to kill 2 police!) to kill in this system for a quest, wound up finding scrap cargo along the way. so I check it out, awesome! okay.. how do I get it? I have no idea how to collect any of this. what the fuck is a cargo scoop? do I have to buy this?

so ok fuck that, let me find these pirates to kill.... ok the galaxy is huge, and the mission doesn't point anywhere but to this star. how the shit do you guys know where to go? it's so vague! I'm trying my best but damn I suck Lol. Sorry for all the questions! I wound up going to a nav spot and looking around. there was a bunch of expert looking ships with wingmen and no police in sight. it's a super small system too with only 3 planets.

Love it.

you did what now?
surprise.gif

important note: reserve the right to simply abandon a mission if it's an unreasonable commitment for a small amount of money.

early in the game your core focus should be getting out of the Sidewinder and into an Eagle and upgrading it.

Staab

you did what now?
I pretty much got lost, lol.
Started off travelling in supercruise but it was days away and I just randomly stopped and stared at stuff. I only later found out about the split destination thing to make jumps, then I missed the target because I was going too fast, had to run back in supercruise for a couple of minutes because I was getting low on fuel and thought it would be better (probably not !).

Then when I came back I got this tunnel escape velocity (which is really hard to stay focused on) so I thought I was going to die but it was just a police ship scanning my cargo.
Luckily I heeded the warnings and only took up a mission with safe cargo so I was OK.

I think any seasoned pilot would've done the mission in 3minutes, lol...

ha.

well as long as you learn for next time, it's all good. I burned a lot of time in my first day because I didn't understand that there were 2 hyperspace speeds. GAF had to explain it to me.

Burny

man I'm so fucking lost right now lol. I went to find pirates (edit.. apparently I need to kill 2 police!) to kill in this system for a quest, wound up finding scrap cargo along the way. so I check it out, awesome! okay.. how do I get it? I have no idea how to collect any of this. what the fuck is a cargo scoop? do I have to buy this?

so ok fuck that, let me find these pirates to kill.... ok the galaxy is huge, and the mission doesn't point anywhere but to this star. how the shit do you guys know where to go? it's so vague! I'm trying my best but damn I suck Lol. Sorry for all the questions! I wound up going to a nav spot and looking around. there was a bunch of expert looking ships with wingmen and no police in sight. it's a super small system too with only 3 planets.

Don't worry, this is more the game's fault than anything. It does a very poor job at communicatin what exactly you're supposed to do when you're new. ;)

You have to imagine the game world works a bit like a space GTA. It will spawn encounters/NPCs within a certain radius of your location, whether you're in supercruise or normal flight. If you have a mission to go to playce X and collect something from a ship wreck site or meet a specific contact for example, you need to wait until whatever you're looking for spawns. So, stay in supercruise and have an eye on the contact or navigation panel. At some point what you're looking for will spawn. Depending on what it is, you may need specific equipment. E.g. a Framshift Interdictor, to drag somebody out of supercruise. Or a wake scanner to be able to follow a wake (find black box missions iirc).

When you get it, you'll find that most missions are rather shallow or even boring. But as the game just throws you in the cold water and doesn't ease you into it, the initial learning curve is steep.

Also:

Get out of your Sidewinder if you haven't already! It's no more than a training ship and the quickest way earn enough money to get rid of it, is to take smuggling missions (watch a tutorial for doing those!) or to steal bounties from security forces in RES (resource extraction sites) or Nav Beacons..

JambiBum

the station was there, but it wasnt on the bottom left UI menu thingies list. it was there however once I looked at the system map instead and got closer I guess. That helped a bunch. good to know about the offers too!

oh man, that is hilarious

- -

Your cargo scoop is just bound to a key. I'm not sure what the default is. It deploys it and then you have to line up the object in the crosshairs of the scoop. You'll see it if you ever use it.

As for the cop thing, if a mission only points you to a system then you usually have to float around in that system/go to the nav beacon to find whatever you need. If you can't find any cops on your own, then you can attack someone/get attacked for them to show up as long as you have report crimes on (on by default). If you attack someone who is wanted they won't show up until they attack you, and you don't have to worry about getting a bounty. Try to avoid the vague look for this supply quests because they are a pain to locate. Stick to pirates and cargo runs where they give you the cargo or need you to buy it from somewhere.

GeoGonzo

Probably means 1.5 goes live early next week, before launching horizons beta. Which would be a good call because running two betas in parallel seems unnecessarily complicated.

DrBo42

Beta 1.5 Server Will go offline at 12:00 GMT today.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=203388

It's really happening huh. Horizons beta is almost here.

Probably means 1.5 goes live early next week, before launching horizons beta. Which would be a good call because running two betas in parallel seems unnecessarily complicated.

That would be excellent but I'm not sure. Should probably check the status of the patches etc on the beta forum. Those go to X and wait for your contact missions were complete ass.

SmartBase

Oh there's no saving that crowd. It was over when you could melt down your current backing package/ship to trade up for a more expensive one. It's like the opposite of a support group in there, all enabling the same sickness.

Yeah it's unfortunate, but I can't stay away. At least we still have a good dose of scepticism left here.

Serrato

Yeah it's unfortunate, but I can't stay away. At least we still have a good dose of scepticism left here.

It's that bad? I mean, I didn't check SC for like a year now.

On topic : I though they said they would release both 1.5 and 2.0 together, but maybe they decided otherwise?

DrBo42

It's that bad? I mean, I didn't check SC for like a year now.

On topic : I though they said they would release both 1.5 and 2.0 together, but maybe they decided otherwise?

Think they're just merging the betas rather than releasing 1.5 next week.

Burny

Think they're just merging the betas rather than releasing 1.5 next week.

Correct. 1.5 and 2.0 public release are still scheduled to happen simultaneuosly. It's confirmed that season 1/2 will play in the same world. I suspect people will essentually be playing the same client with certain features locked behind the "Horizons" paywall, making it "1.5" to season 1 owners and "2.0" to Horizon owners.

Horizons beta is supposed to start next monday.

Is the $15 loyalty discount for Horizon still available to new buyers? I have a friend ready to pull the damn trigger but I told him to hold off, unless that off still stands.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I finally bought...

...to complete my CH Products setup. Ready for 1.5!

Yep, those are the pedals I fly with along with my CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle. Best damn HOTAS I've ever owned, and probably the last one I'll ever need to buy. Made Elite into a much better game for me, I can fly combat now with fixed weapons and actually hit stuff!

la_briola

Is the $15 loyalty discount for Horizon still available to new buyers? I have a friend ready to pull the damn trigger but I told him to hold off, unless that off still stands.

For a limited time all existing Elite Dangerous players will receive a £10 loyalty discount plus the exclusive Cobra Mark IV ship when ordering the Elite Dangerous: Horizons through the Frontier Store. Discount will be automatically applied at checkout. Those who take advantage of this offer will be able to purchase the Cobra MkIV in-game when Elite Dangerous: Horizons lands.

Until 01 Dec!

edit: also...
As part of our Black Friday sale we’re adding an Elite Dangerous Horizons pre-order incentive. Every Commander who pre-orders Elite Dangerous: Horizons before Tuesday December 1 at 6PM GMT will get an in-game black paint job pack called Midnight. Don’t worry, all Commanders who have already pre-ordered Horizons, including those with the lifetime expansion pass, and those with Horizons beta access, will also be given the Midnight paint job pack.With this pre-order offer you’ll get 29 black paint jobs in the pack – that’s one for each ship in the game! (excluding those in CQC). This pre-order incentive will be withdrawn after 6PM GMT on Tuesday December 1 - so make sure you pre-order Elite Dangerous: Horizons now to get your free Midnight paint job pack. Those who take advantage of this deal will have the pack waiting for them in-game when Elite Dangerous: Horizons is released.
----
Yep, those are the pedals I fly with along with my CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle. Best damn HOTAS I've ever owned, and probably the last one I'll ever need to buy. Made Elite into a much better game for me, I can fly combat now with fixed weapons and actually hit stuff!

Yeah, fixed weapons were always a struggle without pedals.

Staab

Might be a dumb question, and I have done 0 research, but I use a logitech G27 for my driving, could I be using those pedals (connected to the wheel) in combination with a HOTAS ?

Burny

Might be a dumb question, and I have done 0 research, but I use a logitech G27 for my driving, could I be using those pedals (connected to the wheel) in combination with a HOTAS ?

I suspect the wheel will be unnecessary, although the pedals might get some use. As Elite supports multiple controllers, that shouldn't be an issue. ;-) The SRV has a control stick rather than a wheel as well. It also has thrusters to get it off the ground temporarily, which probably makes the joystick better to control pitch and roll.

JambiBum

Found a run that nets me 10 mill/hr thanks to the steam guides. It is incredibly far away from everything though so new players won't be able to do it. Each mission I take nets me between 1-3 million credits. Will be more once I get the faction ranks up for the place.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Found a run that nets me 10 mill/hr thanks to the steam guides. It is incredibly far away from everything though so new players won't be able to do it. Each mission I take nets me between 1-3 million credits. Will be more once I get the faction ranks up for the place.

10 million an hour flying in what?

Jedi2016

Meh.. I need to get back. I'm on a short exploration run right now (just out to the outer rim and back), probably won't be back for a week or so, though. While it's neat going out and seeing the sights, there's not a lot of money to be made from short jaunts like this one.. I need to get back in my Vulture and go hunting.

Question on bounty hunting in a wing: Are bounties split between players, or do all players get the full bounty? So if a ship is worth 100K, does each player get 50K, or the full 100K?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Meh.. I need to get back. I'm on a short exploration run right now (just out to the outer rim and back), probably won't be back for a week or so, though. While it's neat going out and seeing the sights, there's not a lot of money to be made from short jaunts like this one.. I need to get back in my Vulture and go hunting.

Question on bounty hunting in a wing: Are bounties split between players, or do all players get the full bounty? So if a ship is worth 100K, does each player get 50K, or the full 100K?

It's split amongst the wingmates who damaged the bounty in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom