• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been trying a few things in the beta, docked at a station on a planet while the planet itself was invisible (you could see the stars through it)

Interesting looking, that's for sure.

The Asp is an interesting ship. It flys like a cinderblock, it doesn't have much of a cargo advantage over the Type 6, it's pretty poor combat ship for it's price range, but damn does it have a huge fuel tank and a massive potential jump range. It can kind of be a mulitpurpose ship. It will trade and mine fine, though the type 6 is much cheaper and about the same in that department.. It's great for long distance smuggling because of that jump range and fuel tank. I can't recommend it for combat, really, but it can defend itself. It's true purpose is exploration though. You won't find a better ship for exploration except maybe an Anaconda with a very special load out.

Thanks.

I enjoyed the time spent with the T6, if the ASP enhances upon that type of experience and gameplay I'm all on board, also just checked on the jump range (38 LY) and that pretty much cemented my decision, needed the bigger distance range to expand into trading rare commodities.

Speaking of routes, this game desperately needs to have a way to manually plot your own routes, would make trading routes a whole lot easier. Not to mention a way to bookmark systems that might be of interest for later visit.

Jedi2016

I customized everything myself in VA. Seemed simpler to just use my own commands and key bindings. Besides, I have a bunch of other commands in there to run things outside of ED, like music and stuff while I'm exploring.

My X52's starting to piss me off.. it has a slight leftward roll and tilt if I take my hands off the stick, and it seems to always be there even after I fiddled with deadzones and stuff. According to the program's own calibration setup, the deadzones, tiny as they are, should be more than enough to cover what it's doing, but it still behaves the same way in-game. I was able to fix the problems with the throttle, but not the stick.

Hylian7

I don't have the imperial hammers unlocked, but I just tried a PA out with my build and I was just out of energy too much so I went back to a cannon. I'll try it again once 1.5 hits to see if I can manage the power, but I think I like the cannon better.

If Imperial Hammers aren't an option, Railguns will suffice.

Imperial Hammers are damn sweet though. The FDL is so good in 1.5/Horizons.

JambiBum

If Imperial Hammers aren't an option, Railguns will suffice.

Imperial Hammers are damn sweet though. The FDL is so good in 1.5/Horizons.
Aren't rail guns kinda shit due to their ammo count/energy usage though? I haven't used them in a long time though so correct me if I'm wrong

Hylian7

Aren't rail guns kinda shit due to their ammo count/energy usage though? I haven't used them in a long time though so correct me if I'm wrong

In PvP they were fine, however now with Synthesis they are viable for general use since you can just reload them provided you stocked up on materials.

Before Horizons, they were still powerful, and great to use in PvP, but of course generally you would be fighting one tough ship and then it's back to the station to restock. Now thanks to Horizons, that's no longer the case.

I have an inventory full of materials, and am about to try bounty hunting in an RES with my FDL with that loadout, we'll see how it goes, and how long I can stay.

Edit: After a few ships, I was out of ammo, so I reloaded. There's a bit of bad news: The basic reload only gets you half the ammo per gun. Now, if you fill your inventory with only the materials you need for railgun ammo, this probably isn't a bad deal. I'm still missing a couple of materials to be able to do the standard and premium ammo though. I will post here if I get to try those out.

I'm thinking I might mix it up and have 2 Hammers, and 2 Pulse Lasers.

HelloMeow

In PvP they were fine, however now with Synthesis they are viable for general use since you can just reload them provided you stocked up on materials.

Before Horizons, they were still powerful, and great to use in PvP, but of course generally you would be fighting one tough ship and then it's back to the station to restock. Now thanks to Horizons, that's no longer the case.

I have an inventory full of materials, and am about to try bounty hunting in an RES with my FDL with that loadout, we'll see how it goes, and how long I can stay.

They aren't that great for pvp. Against larger ships you'll run out of ammo before you can drop someone's shields.

JambiBum

With that Premium ammo you might be able to pull it off. +50% damage.

They're already nerfing the dmg. Plus I don't really think searching for those mats just to be able to have enough ammo to kill a big ship with a rail gun is worth the time investment. Especially since you can only hold 300 mats. You'd kill one, maybe two ships, and then have to go refill at a station + get more mats just to kill one or two more again. Maybe mixing rails with something else would be ok, but rails by themselves aren't worth the investment.

Hylian7

They're already nerfing the dmg. Plus I don't really think searching for those mats just to be able to have enough ammo to kill a big ship with a rail gun is worth the time investment. Especially since you can only hold 300 mats. You'd kill one, maybe two ships, and then have to go refill at a station + get more mats just to kill one or two more again. Maybe mixing rails with something else would be ok, but rails by themselves aren't worth the investment.

I wish they would get some kind of buff to make them viable. I really like them.

RedSwirl

Man, if I keep just exploring it's going to take me a long-ass time to afford better scanners. In almost every system I drop into I'm only able to detect a solitary star, maybe an asteroid belt right up next to it. And I'm usually going after solitary F, G, or K-class stars. As a result I'm only getting paid a few hundred credits per system, 1,500 at best.

Hylian7

Yeah Jambi, you're right unfortunately, 4 Railguns ain't viable. Back to the drawing board with this one.

A few ideas:

1 Huge PA, 2 Imperial Hammer/Railgun (if Hammer not available to you), 2 Pulse Laser
1 Huge PA, 2 Imperial Hammer/Railgun (if Hammer not available to you), 2 Multicannon
1 Huge PA, 2 Imperial Hammer/Railgun (if Hammer not available to you), 2 Cannon (unsure about Class 2 cannons, I'll have to try it)

I think having 2 Hammers might be viable, you can amass enough materials to keep them loaded and you still have other weapons available if that's not enough.

Hylian7

Tried this one:

1 Huge PA, 2 Imperial Hammer/Railgun (if Hammer not available to you), 2 Multicannon

This one is good. Heat is not a problem, especially with occasional firing of the PA. Hell I could honestly feel comfortable dropping my heat sink for something else. With ammo refills via synthesis, this can be a bounty hunting build. Multicannons have plenty of ammo, so that's barely an issue, but ammo is extremely cheap materialwise. Railguns you'll get less reloads out of probably, but I think it's still fairly worth it. Plus during chaff, you can of course stop firing the multicannons and just use the Hammers and PA.

Burny

Man, if I keep just exploring it's going to take me a long-ass time to afford better scanners. In almost every system I drop into I'm only able to detect a solitary star, maybe an asteroid belt right up next to it. And I'm usually going after solitary F, G, or K-class stars. As a result I'm only getting paid a few hundred credits per system, 1,500 at best.

Agree, sensible exploration equipment is not affordable for starting players. Nor does exploration result in the big bucks.

The quickest way to earn credits at the beginning is to do a bit of bounty hunting as well as doing smuggling runs. For a well equipped exploration ASP you can expect to invest some 17 Mio. credits. From there on, bigger ships won't be really needed for exploration.

Investment, profits and efforts don't scale equally across all professions.

Jedi2016

That's something they really need to work on, but it's been like this since before launch. They market it as a "do whatever you like" type of game, and while that's technically true, you're limited to just one or two things when it comes to actually making money at a decent rate. Boils down to bounty hunting and trading, and even trading requires a ship with tremendous cargo capacity (Type-9 or better) to be really profitable.

Right now, I'm on my way back from a short exploration jaunt, but I don't expect it to net me more than a few million credits for a few weeks work... I can make that in a couple hours at a RES with my Vulture.

RedSwirl

Agree, sensible exploration equipment is not affordable for starting players. Nor does exploration result in the big bucks.

The quickest way to earn credits at the beginning is to do a bit of bounty hunting as well as doing smuggling runs. For a well equipped exploration ASP you can expect to invest some 17 Mio. credits. From there on, bigger ships won't be really needed for exploration.

I'm fine with exploration not netting the big bucks once I've actually gotten started with decent equipment. Exploring space is the main reason I got this game, though I can see the appeal of indulging in a Cowboy Bebop/Boba Fett fantasy. I just wish you didn't feel pressured to move into smuggling or bounty hunting at the beginning just to get started on what you really want to do. I feel like this game should have let players choose between maybe three starting ships instead of one. It would have been great to have an "explorer starter kit" option that maybe gave you a hauler with a basic fuel scoop and an intermediate discovery scanner.

And even if I do go back to bounty hunting in a sidewinder (I'd probably just buy a new one wherever I currently am) I feel like that would still take a lot of grinding.

Burny

And even if I do go back to bounty hunting in a sidewinder (I'd probably just buy a new one wherever I currently am) I feel like that would still take a lot of grinding.

Yes, it takes a while. ;)

Although the skills earned in combat are always useful in tight spots, notwithstanding career imbalances.

Hylian7

If any of you Horizons players need a challenge, go land on Achenar 3 in a heavy ship.

Then drive around.

Best of luck.
I'm going to take my Anaconda over there. I haven't encountered a planet with over 1G.

Has anyone found a landable planet that is exactly 1G? Curious how ships would fly and SRVs drive on Earth.

Patrick S.

Banned
Hmmm... I have an old X45 in a box somewhere in a box, and it's still like new. I wonder if it'll work with Windows 10 64bit...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hmmm... I have an old X45 in a box somewhere in a box, and it's still like new. I wonder if it'll work with Windows 10 64bit...

Sure, I used my X45 with Win 10 for some time, but my stick finally broke for good (I'd fixed it several times over the years). I now have a full CH setup and I'm sorry I waited so long to upgrade, LOL.

But sure, the X45 works fine.

Patrick S.

Banned
Sure, I used my X45 with Win 10 for some time, but my stick finally broke for good (I'd fixed it several times over the years). I now have a full CH setup and I'm sorry I waited so long to upgrade, LOL.

But sure, the X45 works fine.

Cool, thanks! I'm going to look where it is and set it up tomorrow.

I'm really curious about the Star Citizen HOTAS. I have an X55. I like the shape and I really like the throttle but I can just feel the quality won't hold up. I had to RMA it once because of a sticky twist access that started freaking out. The Star Citizen one is based on the X65 which is mostly metal construction but has the same basic design.

I heard that the most recent beta update pushed out Rift SDK .8 support, is that true? Is that only for beta backers? I know the content is, but I'd like to know if, as a person who purchased after release, I'd be able to use my Rift in Win10 with it right now.

JambiBum

Did some exploring yesterday and today partially for the community goal in Lave and partially for my own enjoyment. I usually don't go more than 400-500 lys away from the bubble but decided I would this time around. These are from the California, Witch Head, and Orion Nebulas.

W1XOTjj.jpg

Jedi2016

Heh.. flew right past there on my way home tonight, I'm in the Pleiades right now. Too much stuff to scan before I can head back, probably make it back tomorrow. Stop off in Lave to drop off the data (there's a CG going there for exploration data, quick way to make a few extra mil), then head back to Sol.

I think I did find a good mining spot, though. I saw people talking about the Pristine Metallic rings before, and those do show up outside the bubble if you're willing to make the trip. Have to sacrifice some cargo space for a fuel scoop, though.

Hylian7

Achenar 3....Hahaha I couldn't land my Anaconda on it without dropping my shields (with 4 pips to shields) and losing 23% of my hull. Still survived the drop though.

4 pips to Engines in the SRV barely does shit for the vertical thrust. It is amazing.

well after an hour of no bounties in a HiRES, a triple pack of federal Anacondas spawns in, I follow them around, aggroing wanted ships that spawn in, they help take them down, easy money. But after about an hour I'd amassed 2 mill in bounties, somehow I accidentally shot on a Fed ship without knowing (probably came in between me and the wanted one) and after the currently wanted ship that we were ALL shooting at was destroyed i see a ton of RED markers on my radar and I start to boost out to escape and cash in my bounty before I die... I died before I even left mass lock. FUCK!

still stuck at 3mill (15mil away from my goal of 17 mill to get an asp explorer all kitted out for exploring)

Hylian7

well after an hour of no bounties in a HiRES, a triple pack of federal Anacondas spawns in, I follow them around, aggroing wanted ships that spawn in, they help take them down, easy money. But after about an hour I'd amassed 2 mill in bounties, somehow I accidentally shot on a Fed ship without knowing (probably came in between me and the wanted one) and after the currently wanted ship that we were ALL shooting at was destroyed i see a ton of RED markers on my radar and I start to boost out to escape and cash in my bounty before I die... I died before I even left mass lock. FUCK!

still stuck at 3mill (15mil away from my goal of 17 mill to get an asp explorer all kitted out for exploring)

What ship are you in right now?

If you accidentally shoot a cop or non-wanted ship, immediately retract hardpoints, and boost out of the ring immediately, and jump to another nearby system. Assault is a 10 minute bounty on you, meaning you can wait it out for 10 minutes in another system (whether you're logged in or not, doesn't matter), and then come back with no problem. You have to pay off the bounty after the 10 minutes, but it's like 200 CR so it hardly matters at all.

Also it's really good to have Chaff Launchers if you have room for them. Another option is Silent Running + Heat Sink Launchers. If you go into Silent Running, they can't lock onto your ship, meaning they are trying to point fixed weapons at you, and the gimbals and turrets can't consistently hit you. You will build up a ton of heat though, which is why you should either keep toggling it, or bring a Heat Sink Launcher and keep popping the Heat Sinks when you build up heat.

What ship are you in right now?

If you accidentally shoot a cop or non-wanted ship, immediately retract hardpoints, and boost out of the ring immediately, and jump to another nearby system. Assault is a 10 minute bounty on you, meaning you can wait it out for 10 minutes in another system (whether you're logged in or not, doesn't matter), and then come back with no problem. You have to pay off the bounty after the 10 minutes, but it's like 200 CR so it hardly matters at all.

Also it's really good to have Chaff Launchers if you have room for them. Another option is Silent Running + Heat Sink Launchers. If you go into Silent Running, they can't lock onto your ship, meaning they are trying to point fixed weapons at you, and the gimbals and turrets can't consistently hit you. You will build up a ton of heat though, which is why you should either keep toggling it, or bring a Heat Sink Launcher and keep popping the Heat Sinks when you build up heat.
I think I'm in a viper? i shouldve boosted way sooner. They were occupied with a wanted Anaconda and they all converged on me as soon as it was down. I have Chaff but freaked out when i noticed how badly I needed to escape. I've escaped with silent running before.

What fucked me was that I hadnt retracted my hard points so even if I has evaded mass lock, I'd be stuck fumbling for why my FSD wont charge, and I'd be dead regardless.

This game can really get your heart pumping when youre under attack though.

Hylian7

I think I'm in a viper? i shouldve boosted way sooner. They were occupied with a wanted Anaconda and they all converged on me as soon as it was down. I have Chaff but freaked out when i noticed how badly I needed to escape. I've escaped with silent running before.

What fucked me was that I hadnt retracted my hard points so even if I has evaded mass lock, I'd be stuck fumbling for why my FSD wont charge, and I'd be dead regardless.

This game can really get your heart pumping when youre under attack though.

I see, gotcha. Yeah, you can totally escape that if you play your cards right in a Viper. I'm guessing the feds were in larger ships and probably couldn't keep up with you. Just go 4 pips engines, 2 pips shields (meaning left four times, then up four on your POV Hat/D-pad for diverting power) and boost like no other. Unless you're taking an insane amount of fire that your shields are going from 100% to 0% fast, then don't go Silent Running until your shields drop. If you have Heat Sinks, when you go Silent Running, pop one immediately and boost during that low temperature time, be watching that mass lock indicator for when you can get out.

Most importantly, make sure you are flying perpindicular to the ring. As in basically flying "up" or "down" if you're looking at the planet like you normally see Saturn. It's much faster than trying to go out the long way.

Burny

I managed to get into the Horizons Beta over the weekend and after an embarassing episode where I accidentally dropped all my cargo - including the SRV - when looking for the headlight switch of the ship, I even amanaged to play around a little bit on the surface.

It's also clear that the Horizons release will be a very close shave. They have their basic planet generation down, settlements and places to land and take missions are there, there's the mechanic for generated POIs, which is a bit shaky in some corner situations (e.g. despawning when you mve too far away from them with the SRV to access the ship), and the SRV mechanic is implemented. A lot of things can/need to be improved though. Probably even beyond the initial release.

I've started a list with the glitches/unfinished things and areas for improvement I could find in the official forums. Those are only the most notable issues currently in the visuals, but there are surely more.

Has anybody else found something to add to that list? The rendering of accessible planets on the system map as wireframe instead of a low-LOD presentation is imo also an area where Horizons still needs improvements. Then there is the dust thrown up by the SRV which sometimes doesn't seem to match the surface (e.g. brown dust on white ice surfaces).

And then there's the lack of horizontal displacement, which lets all mountains and rocks in Horizons look like peaks of "molten ice cream", vs. for example the great mountains in Outerra.

I managed to get into the Horizons Beta over the weekend and after an embarassing episode where I accidentally dropped all my cargo - including the SRV - when looking for the headlight switch of the ship, I even amanaged to play around a little bit on the surface.

It's also clear that the Horizons release will be a very close shave. They have their basic planet generation down, settlements and places to land and take missions are there, there's the mechanic for generated POIs, which is a bit shaky in some corner situations (e.g. despawning when you mve too far away from them with the SRV to access the ship), and the SRV mechanic is implemented. A lot of things can/need to be improved though. Probably even beyond the initial release.

I've started a list with the glitches/unfinished things and areas for improvement I could find in the official forums. Those are only the most notable issues currently in the visuals, but there are surely more.

Has anybody else found something to add to that list? The rendering of accessible planets on the system map as wireframe instead of a low-LOD presentation is imo also an area where Horizons still needs improvements. Then there is the dust thrown up by the SRV which sometimes doesn't seem to match the surface (e.g. brown dust on white ice surfaces).

And then there's the lack of horizontal displacement, which lets all mountains and rocks in Horizons look like peaks of "molten ice cream", vs. for example the great mountains in Outerra.
good work.

Looking at it, I think they'll hit their target in the next 2 weeks fairly easily. it will be largely imperfect, as is par for the course for FDev. hopefully they'll have a "Content" update like their "Ships" and "Landings" update that addresses that issue.

Pomerlaw

@cuban legend

You can also get a Hauler and kit it as an explorer. It is REALLY cheap, and has a surprisingly good range! You can also make great money with it with short gaming session by getting low cargo missions once you get a good reputations with local factions.

I'm planning a second trip soon and it will be my go to ship again. I love the little fella!

I don't have the credits, took from another forum but... wow!

TZm9fj9.png

I landed my ship in the middle of a wide rocky canyon with the plan to drive my way to plateau on the edge. In the canyon were a series of tall rocky outcrops to navigate up and over. I was driving for about 30-40 minutes, climbing over 3 or 4 of the outcrops, each one was massive, almost a small mountain and I realized it was going to take an eternity to reach the edge so I called my ship and flew off the surface to see how far I made it and it turns out I barely went anywhere in comparison to how far I had left to go. I must have had hundreds of kilometers left to reach the edge. It's hard to keep in perspective how enormous some of these geological features are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom