• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had one crazy moment that made me love this game even more.

Was mining on an asteroid belt testing how to use the collector and prospector limpets, the operation was apparently going smoothly, I even had 3 fully refined pieces of platinum, but since I'm a dumb ass I decided to go into a place full of rocks to crash with, with around 50% hull damage, on my way out an asteroid merging along with the spacescape crashed at me at full speed and completely shattered my canopy leaving me with only 5 mins of oxygen to reach to the nearest station, my hopes were blurring when I missed the safe disengage the first time (ain't easy traveling around the space without the graphical aid telling you were to go) only 1 minute left when I finally make the safe jump and still 9km left to my destination, as I'm descending into the landing pad, literally meters away from reaching safety, my life support depletes and so does all my hard earned minerals as it all blows up into space dust.

Never mining again :(

so for any of you really into this game , get Voice Attack and install the KICS 3 profile. Oh my god this is amazing.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks or little tweaks to add custom commands to make tedious things easier? Like can i target powerplant or a current target, or "check bounty" to scroll to the contacts screen to check a bounty after using the K-Warrant Scanner?

Anyone know how to do this, im totally new to voice attack and its a super detailed program to edit the profiles.

JambiBum

Ordered. Ty for this

@Cuban: The way I add things to VA is by going through the steps to get to something manually first. Use the keyboard to see what keys you should hit and how slow/fast you should space them out. VA uses the keyboard for commands so thats why you use it to figure out what you need to do. You can do things like target power plant by scrolling through the subsystems and seeing how many times you have to do that in order to get to it. Targetting a target is pretty simple, just say target for KICS. You can do the next hostile as well as long as it's mapped in your settings. Checking the bounty bit would be a little more difficult because the location of the contacts in that panel change depending on your distance to them.

so for any of you really into this game , get Voice Attack and install the KICS 3 profile. Oh my god this is amazing.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks or little tweaks to add custom commands to make tedious things easier? Like can i target powerplant or a current target, or "check bounty" to scroll to the contacts screen to check a bounty after using the K-Warrant Scanner?

Anyone know how to do this, im totally new to voice attack and its a super detailed program to edit the profiles.

Some people come up with solutions for these things but they are basically macros of key presses and if something isn't just right they could go wrong and in the case of UI panel stuff, in specific cases they could go horribly wrong. It definitely works best if the fewer the keys required to do an action. I think the biggest issue is the UI panels don't reset so there is no guaranteed starting position for the panels. I've seen a guy use a 'Request Docking; command though and it appears to be very reliable for him, but I think that's probably due to discipline and making sure he has his UI panel on the right starting point when using it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I used a request docking macro for voice attack, works great. You do have to make sure your panel is always on the correct one, but part of my macro does that for me after I make the request.

Minimum VR Spec for Elite Dangerous:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
• Memory: 16 GB RAM
• Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better

Source: Elite Dangerous Newsletter #102 - From Frontier Developments

as expected. Keep in mind, people, that these are the MINIMUM requirements.

In other words, VR is for the NEXT generation of GPUs. Start saving for your OP 2016 GPU + Vive now. Games you'll want it for:

E:D
Star Citizen
Eve: Valkyrie

bought 3x. ty

Minimum VR Spec for Elite Dangerous:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
• Memory: 16 GB RAM
• Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better

Source: Elite Dangerous Newsletter #102 - From Frontier Developments
Gez that's bruuuutal, I understand it but dam.

I meet all that except that my gpu only has 3gigs of ram(780ti), so I think I'll bite the bullet and see if I can pull it off.

Hylian7

as expected. Keep in mind, people, that these are the MINIMUM requirements.

In other words, VR is for the NEXT generation of GPUs. Start saving for your OP 2016 GPU + Vive now. Games you'll want it for:

E:D
Star Citizen
Eve: Valkyrie

bought 3x. ty

Half-Life 3, I want to believe.

I've been playing the beta and obviously progression is the last thing on my mind so I've just been landing on planets and driving around and it has really got me interested in doing some long term exploration. I really really wish I could buy a second character slot under my account. Paying 60 bucks for another account is out of the question but I can't picture myself tying up my single character 10s of thousands of light years from inhabited space for weeks or months.

RedSwirl

So after fitting my Hauler with a 2A frame shift srive I decided to finally leave my original Sidewinder behind and strike out. It's been pretty tough starting out with the intent to go exploring, but I don't know if it's because I'm not out of civilized space yet or if it's because I'm still stuck with only a basic discovery scanner.

The first few systems I scanned turned out to be lone stars (or my scanner just wasn't good enough to detect any planets), but on one occasion I detected like 11 planets. My real issue is the two most important things for a discovery build: a surface scanner and a better discovery scanner, are ridiculously expensive by early game standards. I don't know how I'm going to afford them. Trading might actually be dangerous because right now I'm somewhere on the rough edges of civilized space and I'm not sure I'd be able to defend the Hauler in all these anarchy systems I'm seeing.

Imperial Courier, sexiest cockpit in the game? Damn, I just bought one for the first time because a buddy of mine is about to start playing and I wanted a ship that was powerful enough to deal with AI that might be pestering him quickly but not so powerful that he feels completely useless. Such a pretty ship.

Imperial Courier, sexiest cockpit in the game? Damn, I just bought one for the first time because a buddy of mine is about to start playing and I wanted a ship that was powerful enough to deal with AI that might be pestering him quickly but not so powerful that he feels completely useless. Such a pretty ship.

my favorite ship in the game. every kill feels well earned. i recommend 2x gimbaled multicannons + 1x fixed beam in the middle. When I want to have nothing but fun in E:D, that's the ship I fly 100% of the time.

That's the exact weapons I equipped. Other than that fully upgraded except no armor upgrade. Shields are strong. Really impressed with it. Decent jump range for a combat ship, too.

Just bought this game. Should I use mouse and keyboard or the Xbox Elite controller?

Both work just fine, It would be nice if you could use both the back paddles and the face buttons at the same time. That isn't possible is it? You'll want to use the keyboard and mouse at least from some UI stuff, I'd say.

Sarcasm

So riddle me this. I been jumping and doing my thing but every now and then...something weird happens.

When I get to the station in hyper (or super..the one that goes between system than into super for local)..how come even if I have the throttle line where it is blue it speeds up really quickly, get the slow down message and zoom right by it?

I've changed nothing so its something I am overlooking but this happens like every so often.

So riddle me this. I been jumping and doing my thing but every now and then...something weird happens.

When I get to the station in hyper (or super..the one that goes between system than into super for local)..how come even if I have the throttle line where it is blue it speeds up really quickly, get the slow down message and zoom right by it?

I've changed nothing so its something I am overlooking but this happens like every so often.

Main thing that causes this is that the blue area shifts as you get closer, and while your throttle position scales with it, it doesn't always remain around the middle of the blue zone where it should be. The main idea is to pay less attention to your throttle and more to the estimated time of arrival. Keep it at 6 seconds or above to ensure you don't overshoot your destination and force yourself into the much-maligned "loop of shame."

Full disclosure: I like to come in hotter than I should and use the supposedly shameful loop to scrub my speed until I'm right where I should be at the max safe disengage speed--it's fun with headtracking, and it actually takes less time to reach your destination if you do it right, like a handbrake slide into a parallel parking space.

Sarcasm

Main thing that causes this is that the blue area shifts as you get closer, and while your throttle position scales with it, it doesn't always remain around the middle of the blue zone where it should be. The main idea is to pay less attention to your throttle and more to the estimated time of arrival. Keep it at 6 seconds or above to ensure you don't overshoot your destination and force yourself into the much-maligned "loop of shame."

Full disclosure: I like to come in hotter than I should and use the supposedly shameful loop to scrub my speed until I'm right where I should be at the max safe disengage speed--it's fun with headtracking, and it actually takes less time to reach your destination if you do it right, like a handbrake slide into a parallel parking space.

Thing is..throttle stayed near bottom but the speed went max. I don't think the throttle changes to max speed when approaching =S

Not saying you are wrong but you are right..just my issue is different =(

Jedi2016

Thing is..throttle stayed near bottom but the speed went max. I don't think the throttle changes to max speed when approaching =S
That just shows your relative speed compared to your throttle, it's not actually maxing your throttle. What you're seeing is that you're caught in a gravity well. If you're over a minute out, then it's not the one related to what you're aiming at. Bearing in mind you can pass through other gravity wells on the way to your destination that will behave the same way, and you may not always see what's causing them (asteroid belts and such). The effect can also be worse if you're approaching a "busy" planetary system with a lot of moons, the six-second-countdown doesn't always work.

What you're describing sounds normal to me, you just need to figure out what's causing it and get more practice. If one particular planet or system is being a bitch, just try another one until you figure it out. As you're learning, the game doesn't hand anything to you on a silver platter, you have to figure it out and work it out on your own.

Yeah, what he is describing is the situation. You are carrying a lot of momentum as you pass by planets and other massive objects. Your potential maximum speed decreases as you pass near these objects but your current velocity is very high in comparison but it isn't increasing. The gauge just displays your speed in comparison to the maximum speed in that gravity well. It can be a little confusing but the key is to get your speed into the blue before you are 7 seconds out from your destination (greater to be safe, a little less if you have a good feel for it). A minute out, doesn't matter, at that point you can always be full throttle. As you approach your destination your top speed will be adjusting. This is most easily notice when you are travelling several thousand light seconds. You'll see at the half way point, with tons of time to reach your destination, your speed starts to decrease without any change in the throttle.

Hylian7

I love when I'm not paying attention and am going to overshoot my destination in supercruise, and then get interdicted when I get close. Thanks buddy, did me a favor.

JambiBum

I can't decide what I want to use as my huge hardpoint for my FDL. Currently I'm using 4 pulse lasers and a cannon, but before that I was using the pulse + a beam. I killed things decently quick with that setup but it overcharged often. I know that the PA is great, but it's such a pain in the ass to actually hit that I don't know if it's worth it.

I switched from a PA to a cannon. Both are satisfying, both do good damage to hull. The PA does a lot more damage to shields but the price is much higher and it's more difficult to get hits on anything but the bigger ships. Also, you need about a 2/3 filled weapons capacitor if I remember correctly to fire the PA. Not anything near that for the cannon. Last but not least, the sounds a cannon round makes on impact is so good.

Serrato

Yup, I imagine that on a Corvette Dual-Cannons on the Class 4 guns will be better for PvP simply because they are gimballed and require less energy to fire. Just put the rest of the guns as Lasers and you are good to go to melt anything.

Though of course, Double PA might just melt anything.

And with the Synthesis system, not even using the Premium version I guess having ammo for a long time is more viable now.

Edit :

Something like this for the Corvette I suppose :

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_c...404B05s5s5n2d2d2d322b29.Iw18WAMUUA==.Aw18Z5A=

Hylian7

I can't decide what I want to use as my huge hardpoint for my FDL. Currently I'm using 4 pulse lasers and a cannon, but before that I was using the pulse + a beam. I killed things decently quick with that setup but it overcharged often. I know that the PA is great, but it's such a pain in the ass to actually hit that I don't know if it's worth it.

I'd say generally PA or Cannon. I personally like PA better. In 1.5 and onwards (including Horizons beta obviously) going PA + 4 Imperial Hammer is viable now. In Horizons it's even better because now you can amass materials to reload your railguns on the fly. Throw in the Standard and Premium damage boosting ones and you have an extremely powerful ship.

As someone who has spent quite a bit of time mineral hunting (like Euro truck, I find it relaxing) you are going to REALLY want to make those bonus damage rounds count. After several days of searching and completely full mineral bay, hunting for rares specifically, I have yet to be able to synthesis a bonus damage PA or cannon reload. I have plenty of reloads for no damage boost rounds but the rares, in my experience are very rare. Ha I do have enough for 2 50% FSD boost injections and 6 25% boost injections.

JambiBum

I'd say generally PA or Cannon. I personally like PA better. In 1.5 and onwards (including Horizons beta obviously) going PA + 4 Imperial Hammer is viable now. In Horizons it's even better because now you can amass materials to reload your railguns on the fly. Throw in the Standard and Premium damage boosting ones and you have an extremely powerful ship.

I don't have the imperial hammers unlocked, but I just tried a PA out with my build and I was just out of energy too much so I went back to a cannon. I'll try it again once 1.5 hits to see if I can manage the power, but I think I like the cannon better.

Wreav

Banned
Pulled my first Adama Maneuver on accident today. Came plunging down towards the surface completely vertical in a Corvette and didn't realize that my ship would have downward inertia even after leveling out with the horizon. Applied my downward thrusters as hard as my joystick would allow and came to screeching halt about 30m above the surface. Don't have enough for a rebuy in beta...and was sweating my balls off as I came screaming towards the icy moon.

Okay, I'm no longer super angry at the game, since I've made some money and spent time watching some videos to help me understand how to do certain things.

Now more newbie stuff to throw at ya'll:
I've got over 50k credits saved up and I haven't upgraded anything. I want to get into bounty hunting (while occasionally doing some courier/cargo transport missions): what kind of equipment should I go for to bring my Sidewinder into true fighting shape? I've read I should upgrade my power port and thrusters, followed then by a weapons. Should I continue to save money so I can purchase some higher grade equipment than the ones I can currently afford (including insurance costs)? This is the kinda stuff that makes me super indecisive, since I generally suck at dog-fighting at the moment (e.g. I can survive in a one on one battle for a pretty long and stay shielded, but I struggle to do real damage against the oponent).

Eagle? Pretty cheap. 44k with under 3k in insurance cost. I might just go with that, when I feel like I can die and not be too worried about affording insurance cost several times.

So I found a station called Bacon City and the bulletin board had a mission to kill the trader going by the name of Warren Buffett, thank you based space.

I got a decent amount of money with the Transporter 6 doing a bit of mining and trading, should I aim for the ASP upgrade or what is the next best option if I want to be multitasking? Does the ASP have decent fighting capabilities?

So I found a station called Bacon City and the bulletin board had a mission to kill the trader going by the name of Warren Buffett, thank you based space.

I got a decent amount of money with the Transporter 6 doing a bit of mining and trading, should I aim for the ASP upgrade or what is the next best option if I want to be multitasking?

The Asp is an interesting ship. It flys like a cinderblock, it doesn't have much of a cargo advantage over the Type 6, it's pretty poor combat ship for it's price range, but damn does it have a huge fuel tank and a massive potential jump range. It can kind of be a mulitpurpose ship. It will trade and mine fine, though the type 6 is much cheaper and about the same in that department.. It's great for long distance smuggling because of that jump range and fuel tank. I can't recommend it for combat, really, but it can defend itself. It's true purpose is exploration though. You won't find a better ship for exploration except maybe an Anaconda with a very special load out.

Hylian7

Oh wow, 3k insurance. That is so far away now.

I forgot players start out so small ahah

Yeah, it's crazy to me that I used to think those amounts were significant to me once, and now everything is in terms of millions. Anything below 500k might as well be chump change.

Strazyplus

yea there's quite a bit you'll need to configure. tip: use this -

http://ripleygalactic.com/kics/

follow the instructions and tune settings to any special keybinds you may have changed. It's...awesome.

whoa whoa whats Voice attack and KICS? the link tells me nothing...

Oh wow, 3k insurance. That is so far away now.

I forgot players start out so small ahah

Yeah, it's crazy to me that I used to think those amounts were significant to me once, and now everything is in terms of millions. Anything below 500k might as well be chump change.

You wealthy rich people and your big ships and big loots!! But maybe you could spare some change? Just a little change?
XP

Serrato

Oh I would give you a couple of millions but the best we can do is drop valuable cargo for you to sell. :)

Edit : but all in all, I think it's better you learn the game slowly instead of getting big ships immediately. You'll get the hang of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom