• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
have you read the reviews on this thing?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102073

looks like a big, fat no to me.

I have it and it's awesome, well over 100 hours put into Beta/Gamma. No complaints about build quality, except for a little squeak when I twist the stick to the left. Sounds like quite a few people had a bad experience, but there are equally large numbers of people who love it.

Button placement is great if you have big hands. I'd rate it a solid 4.5.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Besides the early build quality issues with the X55, what makes you say that?

I tried both, I think the X-52 stick is more precise and comfortable to use. The X-55 throttle is definitely better then the X-52's though, so it's kind of a tossup. Personally I value the stick more then the throttle so I went with the X-52 Pro.

have you read the reviews on this thing?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102073

looks like a big, fat no to me.

Eh, to each their own. A lot of the QC complaints are valid but I have no issues with button placement on the stick, granted I've only used old school MS joysticks in the past and not the X52. A few of the complaints are from people just "not used to it" much like I am hating my G600 over my Razer Naga right now because I'm "getting used to it".

I got the 3 year (think it was $12 or so) warranty on Amazon when I bought it. I love it. I did a ton of research as I usually do with peripherals I buy and this one came out on top with many reviews. The biggest issue is the QC as some people are just getting dead buttons and such. But my experience has been pretty flawless outside of not paying attention and hitting the wrong switch.

I tried both, I think the X-52 stick is more precise and comfortable to use. The X-55 throttle is definitely better then the X-52's though, so it's kind of a tossup. Personally I value the stick more then the throttle so I went with the X-52 Pro.

Interesting, I read the opposite which lead me to my X55 but I haven't used the 52pro so I can't really comment on comparisons.

Sinatar

If the X-55 had an adjustable handrest like the X-52 stick does it'd be a lot better, I have no freaking idea why they decided to remove that.

I have it and it's awesome, well over 100 hours put into Beta/Gamma. No complaints about build quality, except for a little squeak when I twist the stick to the left. Sounds like quite a few people had a bad experience, but there are equally large numbers of people who love it.

Button placement is great if you have big hands. I'd rate it a solid 4.5.

Eh, to each their own. A lot of the QC complaints are valid but I have no issues with button placement on the stick, granted I've only used old school MS joysticks in the past and not the X52. A few of the complaints are from people just "not used to it" much like I am hating my G600 over my Razer Naga right now because I'm "getting used to it".

I got the 3 year (think it was $12 or so) warranty on Amazon when I bought it. I love it. I did a ton of research as I usually do with peripherals I buy and this one came out on top with many reviews. The biggest issue is the QC as some people are just getting dead buttons and such. But my experience has been pretty flawless outside of not paying attention and hitting the wrong switch.

I'll keep this in mind. A lot of the complains are less about the button placement and more about:

1.) Awful drivers
2.) Awful support
3.) Questionable build quality (since being purchased by MadKatz in 2007)
4.) Buttons that activate on their own or don't function as expected
5.) BSOD

It's making me feel like I need to look at the Thrustmaster, which has received no such negative reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...021&cm_re=thrustmaster-_-26-280-021-_-Product

Though perhaps if I were to go with Saitek, I would buy from Amazon who's return policy I know well and am comfortable with. I know I could buy and return from Amazon until I'm blue in the face until I get one that works perfectly.

We'll see, but it's nice to know that you guys aren't having issues with your X-52's and X-55's. That's a bit reassuring.

I'll keep this in mind. A lot of the complains are less about the button placement and more about:

1.) Awful drivers
2.) Awful support
3.) Questionable build quality (since being purchased by MadKatz in 2007)
4.) Buttons that activate on their own or don't function as expected
5.) BSOD

It's making me feel like I need to look at the Thrustmaster, which has received no such negative reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...021&cm_re=thrustmaster-_-26-280-021-_-Product

Though perhaps if I were to go with Saitek, I would buy from Amazon who's return policy I know well and am comfortable with. I know I could buy and return from Amazon until I'm blue in the face until I get one that works perfectly.

We'll see, but it's nice to know that you guys aren't having issues with your X-52's and X-55's. That's a bit reassuring.

I'll just say I haven't experienced any of these issues. The one issue I had was the mouse nipple and there's a thread somewhere that shows you how to get that working.

Again, I'm not discounting the complaints, but if you look at a lot of professional reviews the "button placement" really doesn't come into play and it's more of a personal preference and whatever you get used to. Kind of like when you have to use the "third party" controller at a friends house and it just feels 'off'. I haven't had any detection or software issues. Granted I've only had the thing for a couple months but I've used it regularly almost every day barring a few.

EDIT: I 'almost' went Warthog, but I don't ever plan on buying pedals and having Twist to Yaw was kind of a necessity as I didn't want it mapped to something else as that would feel weird to me. Same with CH Products, I didn't go that route because no TtY and it didn't have enough switches IMO.

To get even more precise, this is the best way I've found:

Lock a destination, then go maximum throttle at it. As soon as the target is 7 seconds away, drop your throttle into the middle of the blue zone and leave it there. The time to target should fluctuate between 6 and 8 seconds as it auto deaccelerates you until you can safely drop out.

When going into nav points or USSes, I find that I can go in a little more hot as you can drop out 400k away from these things and still be in range. In these cases I drop to middle blue at 7 seconds away, then push the throttle into the upper area of blue.

If it ever reads that you are 4 seconds away, you are probably going to overshoot it. If I'm quick I can nail the right timing with it reading 5 seconds away. It's all about feel, after practice you'll understand it a lot more.

Great advice, thanks a lot!

Living in Ho Hsi is getting harder and harder. I have a 200k bounty on me now and the Ho Hsi Corp Security Vessels REALLY hate me. I am still trying to do as many missions for jet comm as possible and kill any ho hsi corp ship i come across.

Hope we can actually make a difference soon!

There is also a storyline in the Federation developing about a drug being declared illegal and the system producing it being VERY unhappy with that.

God, this sounds so awesome. Are you streaming again today?

Loving the game so far. Last time I was so obsessed over a game like this was probably Mount & Blade.

PERFECT comparison. I was thinking just today, "this reminds me of another game where you can do whatever you want, sink a ton of time in, and lose progress/die at the drop of a hat" It was definitely M&B.

EDIT: I 'almost' went Warthog, but I don't ever plan on buying pedals and having Twist to Yaw was kind of a necessity as I didn't want it mapped to something else as that would feel weird to me.

I can't imagine not using twist yaw now. Thrustmaster is my first HOTAS but still, it feels great.

arimanius

Had to dust off my old Saitek X-45 last night. Spent the night trying to get it calibrated and then get use to it in game by doing the training missions. Does anyone have a good key binding for it? Finding it difficult to control.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Many moons ago I was big into flight simulators and had the Saitek X-45. College came, then wife came, then kid came and I sold all of that including my rudder pedals.

I'm using my 15 year old Saitek X-45 with Elite, I use it for all of my simulators, I love the throttle but the stick has needed a number of McGuyver fixes over the years. If a new HOTAS offered the rudder rocker switch that my X-45 throttle has but also had a better stick I'd probably buy it instantly, but none of them do. I can't stand the twist stick method the X55 uses, the rocker mine has is SSOOOO much better. Guess I'm spoiled, lol.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Man I lasted 1 day and I bought my flight stick, I was hoping to hold out a couple months and just go M&KB or Pad, but nope. I went with the CH Combatstick, will wait to get the pro throttle as it's as expensive and currently out of stock on Amazon. Might not bother if I find keyboard to be serviceable though, we'll see.

Couldn't pull the trigger on the X52 Pro given all the poor build quality reviews and just general button layout which didn't seem very comfortable or efficient, especially compared to the CH products which look very ergonomic and have a stellar reputation. Also decided on Combatstick over the Fighterstick because it's nearly $30 cheaper and I'm fairly confident I would prefer 2 buttons over the 2 extra 4-way hats, so it would be silly to spend all that much more on 2 extra hats I probably wouldn't like. Especially if I decide to pick up the Pro Throttle down the line which has more than enough hats and buttons to make up for it.

The second I started playing ED I just had all these memories of using my old Logitech Wingman Extreme playing Freespace 2 and I-War and shit and while M&KB has been fine with the X series given how menu based the series is, that shit does not fly here, literally.

metalhead79

Neo Member
I'm using my 15 year old Saitek X-45 with Elite, I use it for all of my simulators, I love the throttle but the stick has needed a number of McGuyver fixes over the years. If a new HOTAS offered the rudder rocker switch that my X-45 throttle has but also had a better stick I'd probably buy it instantly, but none of them do. I can't stand the twist stick method the X55 uses, the rocker mine has is SSOOOO much better. Guess I'm spoiled, lol.

I miss my X-45. I should have kept it.

Thanati

There's a crosshair on the bottom left. Where targets show up. Line up the item in that box. Just make sure you don't go too fast or you can destroy it.

Also tips for new bounty hunters, the bigger a ship is the higher the bounty. Sidewinders will usually only net you around 5k unless it's a player that has racked up a large bounty.

Thanks! And the other guys for their responses too. Much appreciated!

Skyzard

Banned
Speech recognition has come such a huge way. It's effortless controlling this thing!

Even taking screenshots, resetting headtracking etc. It's brilliant.

I need to set up some custom music playlist for ED with this too.

"bbbooost"

*buuurrrrrrvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiirrmmm*

Torpedos are pretty powerful once you get someone's shields down. If they connect they can pretty much destroy someone in one go. Too bad the torpedo rack I have only carries one and every time I want to reload it it costs me 15k. lol.

That sounds like Chris Rocks solution to end gun violence. Make guns as cheap as possible, but make bullets cost about a grand each lol. No more drive by's!

Speech recognition has come such a huge way. It's effortless controlling this thing!

Even taking screenshots, resetting headtracking etc. It's brilliant.

I need to set up some custom music playlist for ED with this too.

"bbbooost"

*buuurrrrrrvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiirrmmm*

OMG, you just blew my mind. I never thought of doing this. Trying to go full HOTAS with no KB interaction (since my setup isn't great for KB use) and this is fantastic. This is worth the $8 alone.

ys45

Made 2 delivery yesterday , what's the best way to make money when starting ?
Trading, deliveries, exploration, mining maybe ? I don't really want to do bounty hunting I'm not good enough, I want to get better at controlling my ship first .

Sinatar

Trading, deliveries, exploration, mining maybe ? I don't really want to do bounty hunting I'm not good enough, I want to get better at controlling my ship first .

When you're super brand new in your sidey the best way to make money is doing bulletin board delivery missions. Once you've got a hauler, start doing trade runs.

Skyzard

Banned
OMG, you just blew my mind. I never thought of doing this. Trying to go full HOTAS with no KB interaction (since my setup isn't great for KB use) and this is fantastic. This is worth the $8 alone.

Definitely worth it! It will help with so many games.

"Screenshot"
"Record"
"Fraps" - have it cycle the fraps positions for FPS fast and then turn off
"Bench"
"Mute"
"Pause"
"Reset"
"Rage Quit"

All without lifting a finger. It's nuts.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to tell from the galactic map what stars are scoopable?

Heading off into the unknown into unmapped systems seems very Dangerous.

Sinatar

Is there a way to tell from the galactic map what stars are scoopable?

Heading off into the unknown into unmapped systems seems very Dangerous.

Everything but white and brown dwarfs I believe. You have to be incredibly lazy to run out of fuel with a scoop.

Wreav

Banned

"Screenshot"
"Record"
"Bench"
"Mute"
"Pause"
"Reset"
"Rage Quit"

It's great until grouping mechanics are a thing. My buddies won't appreciate me talking to Jarvis while playing.

Skyzard

Banned
It's great until grouping mechanics are a thing. My buddies won't appreciate me talking to Jarvis while playing.

I thought about that...I guess I can mute the microphone when not needed but that's a bit of effort :p

I didn't get rid of the bindings on the hotas because of that though.

Out of interest, have any commands that you prefix with Jarvis?

I think Agatha could use the recognition.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I started by taking missions from the bulletin board. Once I had a few thousand credits and a few station's prices for things written down then I started running trade routes between systems while still taking the occasional mission that sounded lucrative and wouldn't get anyone pissed off at me. Also killed a few pirates who got in my way. Soon the credits started building up. I now have an Eagle with 8T cargo room and 95K credits. By end of tonight I hope to have an Adder with 20T cargo room.

JambiBum

I've already ran into this issue lol. I'll be in a skype call with friends while I'm playing and they will hear me saying commands and tell me to shut up after a while. I usually just mute my mic until I need to talk to them.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I've already ran into this issue lol. I'll be in a skype call with friends while I'm playing and they will hear me saying commands and tell me to shut up after a while. I usually just mute my mic until I need to talk to them.

Can't you just dual map a key to active voice commands and also mute voice chat? Set to Hold not toggle.

JambiBum

Can't you just dual map a key to active voice commands and also mute voice chat? Set to Hold not toggle.

I'm not sure that VA has a quick mute key. You can mute it by clicking on the mute button in the client. That's not a bad idea though. I could just map mute for my chat client to a voice command when I need to instead of having to alt tab out.

Also, we should make a GAF group in game. I can do it and invite the people on my list and in the google doc when I get on later. It creats a chat room for everyone.

Skyzard

Banned
If I can find it, I downloaded an entire voice pack that someone made specifically for Elite. It has different voice commands for every request you can think of. I downloaded it forever ago though so it might take me some time to find the link.

That would be great, thank you.

Found it

This only costs $3 and has a ton of lines. They update it a decent amount with new lines too.

Nice, cheers.

Haha, those lines.

Caitlin without question. £25.99 is not cheap though, could never do that.

It's not cheap no... Caitlin sounds great too damn lol.

Sinatar

Chris Roberts showing some class and throwing shade at the mouth breathing fuckwits who constantly try to pit Elite and Star Citizen against each other like they're mortal enemies.

"Chris Roberts showing some class and throwing shade at the mouth breathing fuckwits who constantly try to pit Elite and Star Citizen against each other like they're mortal enemies."

Word. It's not too common here, but there are a few dipshits skirting that edge.

"Screenshot"
"Record"
"Bench"
"Mute"
"Pause"
"Reset"
"Rage Quit"

"R2 Fraps"
"Loading Beeg and Redtube"
"No R2, FRRRAPS, R, with an R, I need to ... well, guess I got a few minutes"

And yes, I will have "R2" be the name of my trigger word. I did have it set to "computer" when using the demo version. Just bought it and will start messing around tonight hopefully. Ninja EDIT: Just realized you can program sound bites, I will have to download some R2 noises and toss them in there randomly.

Basically if you can think of the command, it can do it. I saw somebody earlier in the thread have the docking request done. Was that you? Going to search and could do it by name if so, if not will just look around.

Skyzard

Banned
Chris Roberts showing some class and throwing shade at the mouth breathing fuckwits who constantly try to pit Elite and Star Citizen against each other like they're mortal enemies.

Nice to read from him.

"R2 Fraps"
"Loading Beeg and Redtube"
"No R2, FRRRAPS, R, with an R, I need to ... well, guess I got a few minutes"

And yes, I will have "R2" be the name of my trigger word. I did have it set to "computer" when using the demo version. Just bought it and will start messing around tonight hopefully. Ninja EDIT: Just realized you can program sound bites, I will have to download some R2 noises and toss them in there randomly.

Basically if you can think of the command, it can do it. I saw somebody earlier in the thread have the docking request done. Was that you? Going to search and could do it by name if so, if not will just look around.

Ha, R2 is a great one.

That wasn't me with the docking request but that's a great one to set up.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Gah. Okay, so I got a cheapy stick to get me through the holiday season (can't be dropping two bills on myself this time of year). The quality it fine with me, but there is only 1 dpad and one nipple. The throttle control is a slider that doesn't reset. So, when you throttle down to zero to land, it doesn't keep that placement as zero. When you launch back out, suddenly you're in full throttle reverse.

But! There is no disputed that the flight controls make this an entirely different game. It was awesome before with just a gamepad, but with a stick...sublime. Is there any stick out there that makes it so that you never have to use the keyboard for anything, or is that just dumb?

Sinatar

Gah. Okay, so I got a cheapy stick to get me through the holiday season (can't be dropping two bills on myself this time of year). The quality it fine with me, but there is only 1 dpad and one nipple. The throttle control is a slider that doesn't reset. So, when you throttle down to zero to land, it doesn't keep that placement as zero. When you launch back out, suddenly you're in full throttle reverse.

But! There is no disputed that the flight controls make this an entirely different game. It was awesome before with just a gamepad, but with a stick...sublime. Is there any stick out there that makes it so that you never have to use the keyboard for anything, or is that just dumb?

Most HOTAS setups don't require you to ever touch the keyboard. I'm using an X-52 pro and the only time I use my keyboard is when I'm typing in a system name to search for it on the galaxy map.

"But! There is no disputed that the flight controls make this an entirely different game. It was awesome before with just a gamepad, but with a stick...sublime. Is there any stick out there that makes it so that you never have to use the keyboard for anything, or is that just dumb?"

Any of the HOTAS systems will have enough buttons. CH, Thrustmaster, Saitek. The trick is using button combinations. I have the pinky button my CH throttle unmapped and I only use it in combination with other buttons, like a shift/ctrl modifier.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thanks guys. I'll probably YouTube some reviews or something on that X-52. Know of any videos of how those types of sticks operate with this game? Not that I don't believe you, because I do, but I may have to sell me buying a different one in a month or so.

EDIT: Twisting is an absolute must...apparently some sticks don't do that? Why? It's the best part of a stick by a billion miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom