• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I keep getting issues where super cruise will drop my frame rate down to 8. Makes part of it unplayable, particularly because I have the Rift. Ugh.

In other news, I jumped into a USS and found an expert pilot in some big ass flat roundy ship.... With wanted status. Blew his ass up (I must be okay at this game because he never even took the shields out on my stock ass Sidewinder), and got a cool 32000 cr reward. Then the feds showed up, scanned my ship, and gave me a 300cr fine for carrying some waste I found and intended to dispose of. :/

Man, I keep getting issues where super cruise will drop my frame rate down to 8. Makes part of it unplayable, particularly because I have the Rift. Ugh.

I have a 970 and a 4670k overlocked to 4.7ghz My card even in the most demanding current games maxed out and Overclocked to 1500mhz never went above 65-66c in ED my gpu sits around 80c, and I get alot of stuttering in asteroid fields. Besides that the game runs fantastic. Anyone else noticing things like this?

JambiBum

Mmm torpedos. Was fighting an expert eagle who was wanted. Pretty intense fight, neither of us could get the other's shields down. Finally got his down, launched torpedo. BOOM. Dead instantly. Worth the 15k price tag.

Skyzard

Banned
Looked through the store... I am definitely having this weegie as my ship's computer. Can't wait for my ship to slag me off for doing stupid things. =D

Lol, he's a great choice for that :p

I hope people are enjoying my streams and videos and the idea of the "Fight for Ho Hsi".
I guess it's become a little bit of a GAF community thing, I've seen quite a few GAF CMDRs around

Definitely. Hopefully I will be of more use next time.

I managed to take it up to a 30K bounty in Ho Hsi. Practiced flying in quickly to dock, so far so good.

Currently in an anarchy system to buy some slaves to bring back but didn't realise they were so expensive. Will need to do a few missions before I bring them back but the reward is pretty good for what I'm used to. I also have 2 of that mission, to the same place.

I have a 970 and a 4670k overlocked to 4.7ghz My card even in the most demanding current games maxed out and Overclocked to 1500mhz never went above 65-66c in ED my gpu sits around 80c, and I get alot of stuttering in asteroid fields. Besides that the game runs fantastic. Anyone else noticing things like this?

My card is running hotter in ED too, yep.

Gaz_RB

I'm now 100s of light years away from where I started, and there are like no trading posts or stations anywhere. It's all unexplored space. I'm gonna make so much bank when I turn these explored planets in.

I've seen some really cool stuff. But it's really lonely out here :/

JambiBum

I have a GTX 570 and it runs great on my machine. Only thing I run into is server issues every now and then.

Also I invited everyone on my friends list to a group but I don't know if it worked or not. Someone should let me know.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
16054100525_74ddc413ed_o.png

Achievement unlocked, reach a net worth of 10 million credits.

wrongway

Argh, I really want this but I really shouldn't after spending so much on other christmas stuff.

But I just dug out my old X45. I don't know how long I can hold out. D:

So i decided to go full in with this game, i ordered a X52 joystick and played a few tutorials. I used to play as a child with X-Wing and TIE Fighter but other than a little bit of Freelancer, this is my first real foray into space sims as an adult, and it was just a blast doing little missions and delivering cargo (I seem to enjoy the traveling aspect the most so far). With that said, I kind of need help as far as reading into the map. Is there a way to find out what commodities can be bought from where? Also, is there like online group/chat support? Sorry if these questions has been asked before. Its just a bit overwhelming and after a 2 hr session of just flying to place to place and having a blast, I just wanna figure out how to do more.

Just spent the last hour or so getting to Ho Hsi. Next goal: Get an Adder. Depending on how I like the area I might move to Sorbago after that, I'd like to get into empire space and it sounds like interesting stuff's happening in that area.

Then again I won't be able to play until around January 5th now so who knows what I'll end up actually doing or whether the slave rebellion will still be happening. So guess I'll wait and see xD

Used the Rift again tonight. Made travel much more interesting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You came to the wrong neighborhood motherfucker.

This system is the Too Many Cooks of the galaxy.

It's the galactic beach, where you'll get a tan--- no matter what.

Ended up finding a wanted NPC, started blowing his ass up. Wasn't really paying too much attention to why, but he kept dumping shit (I figured missles? Chaffe? Fug if I know, I don't have gimballed shit). Blew him up, turns out he dumped FOUR TONS OF GOLD. Just so you guys know, I can hold four tons of stuff.

But wait! I was doing a hauler mission! I'm full!
Man screw these clothes I'm picking up this gold. Long story short, blew up one gold being a dumbass, and the other I guess timed out? Oh well, got two tons, that should be worth something.
Noticed there was a fight going on just out of my radar range, flew in, blew him up, and then the feds scanned me, and dumped a huge ass fine on me for all that gold. Shit. Pretty much neutralized what the gold got me. :/

Oh well at least I got some bounty out of it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Sinatar I know I've asked before, but what are you trading now? Is it the same route you were doing before?

Well since GAF is bumming around Ho Hsi I found a route there. You can buy gold at Steiner and sell it at Alexandreyov, then buy silver there and sell it back to Steiner.

Its all one system with about 30 ls between stations, and you'll make about 7200 credits per ton per hour. Not a bad little grind spot.

Chichikov

So every single movie reference name is taken?
I mean sure, I wasn't expecting something like Dave Bowman to be available, but really now, I got beaten to the William T. O'Niel and every single character in Starship Troopers punch?
Fine.
CMDR SILENT RUNNING ROBOT reporting.
No one would shoot the robots from silent running, right?
You'll have to be some kind of space Hitler to do that.

I have no idea what i'm doing dog.jpg

But I'm loving it.

JambiBum

Thanks Sinatar. I'm gonna head to Ho now I think. Also for anyone that bounty hunts I really recommend getting a torpedo launcher. The ammo is expensive but the damage it does to even large ships is well worth it. Just netted a 80k off of a python thanks to it.

Gaz_RB

Well, I made it to some place really far away called the Coalsack Dark Region. Every star system in that place is nearly pitch black. It was amazing. Now, with 171 star systems under my belt, I'm heading back to civilization to cash in on all the exploration. Only problem is my hull is sitting at around 30% after a few close calls with some crazy far out pirates, and I've still got hundreds of light years til I get back to a station. I'm scared!

JambiBum

Well, I made it to some place really far away called the Coalsack Dark Region. Every star system in that place is nearly pitch black. It was amazing. Now, with 171 star systems under my belt, I'm heading back to civilization to cash in on all the exploration. Only problem is my hull is sitting at around 30% after a few close calls with some crazy far out pirates, and I've still got hundreds of light years til I get back to a station. I'm scared!

If you are going to explore like that, you can always buy the auto repair device to fix issues like that.

I just lost 100k on a stupid mistake. I bought 6 slaves and then tried to rush out of the dock. Wasn't paying attention and crashed into the wall. Cost of insurance +new cargo means that I'm barely going to make a profit on this run :(

Gaz_RB

If you are going to explore like that, you can always buy the auto repair device to fix issues like that.

I just lost 100k on a stupid mistake. I bought 6 slaves and then tried to rush out of the dock. Wasn't paying attention and crashed into the wall. Cost of insurance +new cargo means that I'm barely going to make a profit on this run :(

Whaaaat? I didn't even know there was an auto repair device. Thanks.

From the OP

Added myself to the player list, hope you don't mind.

Have only played about 2.5 hours so far. Started off in Trevithick Dock in LH3447, which looks to be quite common. Grabbed a mission straight away to deliver beer to Kadenyuk Orbital in the Kini system. Arriving at Kadenyuk was a bit daunting considering it has skulls painted all over it...

10841917_10152868852805791_2783364588785638596_o.jpg

But I didn't get shot (must have been because I was carrying the beer) and earned myself my first paycheck.

Kadenyuk were offering a mission requesting fruit and vegetables (F&V), so I headed back to LH3447 but this time the Dalton Station (only chosen because Dalton is a surname within my extended family). Picked up some F&V and headed on back to Kadenyuk Station in Kini. Another contract completed successfully!

The only missions available at Kadenyuk now were saving slaves for free, I don't have enough money for charity. So I headed off to a random system nearby, and now I'm docked at Gidzenko Ring Station in the Chamunda system. I clocked off here, but before leaving I checked out the bulletin board and there looked to be a few applicable contracts so I'm looking forward to hopping back on after dinner tonight.

I'm really enjoying it thus far.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Yea it's not organized that well, I need to fix some stuff. But I'm just busy with family and the game when I have time.

Hmm, I'd say just put the link closer to the beginning of the first post there - maybe bold it or something. It doesn't need a fancy graphic or anything, it was just kind of buried with the rest of the reference material.

I added myself to that list and will finally enter your local galaxy around xmas.

I can't wait to explore this game. My first Elite experience was on a C64 and we were barely able to understand what's happening on the screen. Later, during the '90s, I've spent some time with Frontier: Elite 2 - now, reading the OT makes me more and more hyped.

Well... my Internet cut out, but we're on Gafmumble.typefrag.com port 6740 and we are free to use it for the elite group if you guys want. I'll add it to the OP.

JambiBum

Well... my Internet cut out, but we're on Gafmumble.typefrag.com port 6740 and we are free OT use it for the elite group if you guys want. I'll add it to the OP.

Was wondering what happened to you. lol. I'm going to start making my way toward Ho Hsi to join the other group that's there.

JambiBum

I was going through the official forums today and read about a group that tried to start an uprising in another system. They got it to the point where a civil war should have happened but there was a bug that the devs found that never actually let it happen. Devs went into their thread and said "you guys did a great job and you actually triggered war three seperate times but it never took correctly. We fixed this and it was a great test to our systems so thanks." So in theory we should be able to cause an uprising in Ho Hsi. They said that if you do it will cause new missions and more random battles in USS zones. Plus it changes the economy of an area as well.

AJLma

Great dogfight

I was supposed to be going to sleep, but watching that got me pumped to play. Especially now that the new patch increases player encounters.

I can't wait for my full HOTAS to get here, the amount of control a throttle gives you is on another level from using my keyboard.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Woohoo, successfully delivered some grain and tripled my money. Ah, newbie days. This certainly takes some getting used to.

Has anyone tried out a STEM or Hydra with it? It seems like it would be a natural way to control the 6DOF with one hand, moving your hand relative to a central point for your translations (and maybe throttle too with forward/backward) and then rotating for your pitch/roll/yaw. Just wondering if there are problems with accuracy.

JambiBum

So it doesn't seem like cruising around in open space looking for wanted people counts towards pirate missions. It looks like you can only gain kills for that by going into USS spots.

Bazza

What's the difference between the X52 pro and non pro? I have it in the OP because I've heard good things, but is it worth the extra? (I've only used the non pro)

The X52 pro has dual springs on main stick so it feels a bit heavier in your hand, other than that the changes are minimal. X52 is a fine stick but the X52 pro is much nicer to use, I found it was easier to make minor corrections when flying due to the resistance on the stick.

I think the reason my original X52 snapped is because I had no resistance working against me, so when I was using it when flying the KSE in SWG in PvP, because it was slow to react I would find myself over steering and then having to adjust because all my turns would be on fully in whatever direction I wanted to go, when the X52 snapped and I picked up the pro I found that because of the extra resistance of the springs, I could turn the sensitivity up and it was much easier manoeuvring because the stick takes a little more effort to move, the regular X52 you can probably get movement out of the stick by blowing on it hard.

sfried

I wish they'd creat missions that doesn't require you wandering aimlessly about locking on to every USS. I want the missions to give me specific waypoints and maybe even Nav Beacons telling me where to find X. It's particularly grating during hunt down missions where you have to randomly drop by the right set of USS that have ships making small talk about where your target jumped to next.

USS is like the space equivalent of a random encounter.

Carcetti

I seem incapable of making money in this game. Last night I had a dogfight with an npc pirate (65k reward wanted, would've made me 10x richer) in a big ship where I slowly chipped him to about 55% hull. Then 3 federation security guys come in and engage him. One of them rams me from behind, sets up a bounty and all 3 engage me instead of the pirate making me run away and wasting 30 minutes of dodging lasers.

Orgun

I seem incapable of making money in this game. Last night I had a dogfight with an npc pirate (65k reward wanted, would've made me 10x richer) in a big ship where I slowly chipped him to about 55% hull. Then 3 federation security guys come in and engage him. One of them rams me from behind, sets up a bounty and all 3 engage me instead of the pirate making me run away and wasting 30 minutes of dodging lasers.

If you're going to go after Wanted people, go to your right screen and under Functions turn off 'Reprot crimes against me'. That will stop the feds from showing up

Dougald

If you're going to go after Wanted people, go to your right screen and under Functions turn off 'Reprot crimes against me'. That will stop the feds from showing up

Another handy feature I had to google for when the feds kept stealing my kills in the Gamma.. This game needs a nice thick old-school manual

Ronnie

Banned
Can someone explain why when I take "kill x number of traders from system y", when I get to a USS they plead for mercy, I get a message that my contract has been updated, and then when I abandon the kill message it says object complete and I get the money anyway.

Carcetti

Huhhh, interesting.

Since people seem to know stuff here:

I had a mission last night where I was taking some quest item propaganda somewhere and someone wanted to pay me more for jettisoning it. They said they were gonna make it worth my while if I went to system X. So I do that, and nothing happens. How do I find what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom