• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Elite the kind of game that makes you look down and see you've been playing/talking about it for hours and it's almost midnight and dammit I got to work in 5 hours. So cash.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Well, I PC game from my big comfy couch, so that ain't happening..lol.

Elite is probably the one PC game where I want to be at my desk. I like to pretend my office chair is the seat in my cockpit. I also make the room dark so enhance the feeling of being in space.

I really need an Occulus Rift, lol.

"Chris Roberts showing some class and throwing shade at the mouth breathing fuckwits who constantly try to pit Elite and Star Citizen against each other like they're mortal enemies."

It's not too common here, but there are a few dipshits skirting that edge.
I have a friend who is a die hard SC fan, while he hasn't been actively making any comments against Elite, he hadn't even considered playing it because "it doesn't match the grandiosity of SC".
I've given him access to my Elite account while I'm away on vacation in the hope that he will see the light and play both, leading to more sales and hopefully more space sims. =D

I'll keep this in mind. A lot of the complains are less about the button placement and more about:

1.) Awful drivers
2.) Awful support
3.) Questionable build quality (since being purchased by MadKatz in 2007)
4.) Buttons that activate on their own or don't function as expected
5.) BSOD

It's making me feel like I need to look at the Thrustmaster, which has received no such negative reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...021&cm_re=thrustmaster-_-26-280-021-_-Product

Though perhaps if I were to go with Saitek, I would buy from Amazon who's return policy I know well and am comfortable with. I know I could buy and return from Amazon until I'm blue in the face until I get one that works perfectly.

We'll see, but it's nice to know that you guys aren't having issues with your X-52's and X-55's. That's a bit reassuring.

I have owned my X55 since a month or so after it came out. Used it in Elite, Star Citizen, War Thunder and ARMA 3. I have not experienced any of those issues. All of the above games work perfectly fine. Their software is fine, and I was able to easily adjust the curves for use in Star Citizen which is all I've needed it for thus far. Drivers work just fine, and I've never ever had a BSOD caused by their drivers (first time I've heard of that happening too).

TBH, I really only have one complaint about the X55, and that is the force required for the stick is non-linear when leaving the center. You require just an ever so slightly higher amount of force for it to leave the center because of the spring system. Once it left center, it's fine, but it is one of those things which make tiny movements more difficult. That said, you quickly adapt and if you have on a lighter spring, it's better.

There's a good video series from TEST Squadron comparing the X55 and the Warthog in Star Citizen (though it applies just as well to Elite). Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfPoaVephBc

Arulan

I've been following the game considerably for a few months now, and finally purchased it last night. I ultimately decided on the CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, and will likely pick up the Pro Pedals at a later date. Although I haven't personally tried a twist rudder, I believe I would much prefer pedals. That said, until I do get pedals I will likely have to set an alternative mode to the Fighterstick's X-axis for Yaw instead of Roll, or come up with another solution in the meantime.

Unfortunately, my CH purchases won't be arriving for a few days, so it's mouse/keyboard until then or hold off.

Thrustmaster is god-tier, but you need pedals with it.

well fuck that nonsense. I'll play the Saitek lottery, then.

so is there a strong opinion either way on the 55 vs the 52?

I have owned my X55 since a month or so after it came out. Used it in Elite, Star Citizen, War Thunder and ARMA 3. I have not experienced any of those issues. All of the above games work perfectly fine. Their software is fine, and I was able to easily adjust the curves for use in Star Citizen which is all I've needed it for thus far. Drivers work just fine, and I've never ever had a BSOD caused by their drivers (first time I've heard of that happening too).

TBH, I really only have one complaint about the X55, and that is the force required for the stick is non-linear when leaving the center. You require just an ever so slightly higher amount of force for it to leave the center because of the spring system. Once it left center, it's fine, but it is one of those things which make tiny movements more difficult. That said, you quickly adapt and if you have on a lighter spring, it's better.

There's a good video series from TEST Squadron comparing the X55 and the Warthog in Star Citizen (though it applies just as well to Elite). Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfPoaVephBc
ty for the further insight. and no diy fix for that spring issue, eh?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
well fuck that nonsense. I'll play the Saitek lottery, then.

Only thing I've heard about the X-52 is the X-52 Pro is better than the X-52. I hadn't heard anything negative about the X-55 until these last two pages and then it was too late as I bought mine in November specifically for Elite.

101.gif

Yea, what he said, my exact experience. I love my X55, have had it since a week or two after it's release, no issues.

I've heard they had some QC issues with the initial release, but the current "version" has fixed most, if not all of the issues that were relating to cabling. I'll try to find the information and link it.

The biggest difference between the X52 and X55 are the interchangeable springs which allows you to adjust the tension yourself, more hats, buttons, and twist rudder.

Chris Roberts showing some class and throwing shade at the mouth breathing fuckwits who constantly try to pit Elite and Star Citizen against each other like they're mortal enemies.

I don't really like Chris Roberts that much, and I wouldn't exactly call what he said "Throwing shade", but kudos to him for saying that.

He shouldn't have to say it though. Star Citizen and Elite:Dangerous are completely different games. Star Citizen seems more of a theme parky fantasy space game whereas Elite is much more of a pure sim. At least from what I can tell. It's fine to prefer either. Though I suspect a lot of the "Conflict" between fanbases comes from which project the individual backed.

Though Elite is totally better 'cause it's from England. Obviously.

I'm getting to the point in my viper, where I can come into a space with wanted criminals, and even if the system authority are friendly with the wanted in question, I can destroy the wanted guy and easily dodge and escape fire from the other ships.

giphy.gif

Guys, any reason why i cant sell my planetary data stuff? I found a few new astronomical objects, and i see now i can sell the data in a starport but the option to sell is in red, but it doesnt tell me why

Found a fix for that. It's not the spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAXTHaa1G0k

funny video too. enjoy your better-working X55.

I accepted a mission to hunt down a terrorist and the mission description says that he could be hiding out in either of two systems. Went to both, couldn't find anything.

What am I supposed to be looking for exactly? A random USS?

Klyka

Banned
I accepted a mission to hunt down a terrorist and the mission description says that he could be hiding out in either of two systems. Went to both, couldn't find anything.

What am I supposed to be looking for exactly? A random USS?

A USS in the systems,yes.

Be aware he is probably in a tricked out Anaconda.

AJLma

I'm getting to the point in my viper, where I can come into a space with wanted criminals, and even if the system authority are friendly with the wanted in question, I can destroy the wanted guy and easily dodge and escape fire from the other ships.

Getting to this point with my Eagle. I'm no longer worried when flying into groups of 2-3 hostile feds + 1-2 Wanted Ships. My dual beam lasers + gimballed multi-cannon is taking everything up to Cobras down with ease. I haven't even upgraded my shields yet.

I had been working towards outfitting a Cobra as a multi-purpose bounty hunting and exploring ship, but the Eagle actually almost seems like the better choice right now. The maneuverability, huge fuel tank and decent jump range are almost perfect.

Zeliard

Got a quest where I'm tasked with retrieving black boxes strewn about a certain star system. Does it require a specific scanner to spot them, or is it basically just cruising around the system until a signal comes up on your HUD?

Wreav

Banned
Got a quest where I'm tasked with retrieving black boxes strewn about a certain star system. Does it require a specific scanner to spot them, or is it basically just cruising around the system until a signal comes up on your HUD?

Drop into every USS.

Drop into every USS.

DROP INTO EVERY USS.

EVERY MISSION. EVERY USS.

Jedi2016

I don't plan on taking assassination missions until I'm in a tricked-out Anaconda. Right now I'm just trading, my ship's not even armed.

Bazza

Looks like I'm dusting off the X52 pro tomorrow, I assume it will be fine, I haven't used it since SWG went offline.

Klyka

Banned
Thanks! Man, I only have my basic freagle. Probably won't survive encountering him. Haha

hah yeah :D
next time I stream and some of my buddies are on I'm gonna try to organize each of us taking one of those kill missions and then we all help each other to kill each others targets. 150k or so is nice :D

Ferrio

Banned
Is the game playable at all with the original Occulus dev?

Also anyone only using an xbox controller? If I got the game I'd like to see how well it runs before I plunk money on a stick.

Klyka

Banned
It's really kinda lame, unfortunately. It's been said that the game uses an RNG to determine if the USS you're dropping into will have your mission items. Can get quite frustrating.

I hope the USS stuff changes in the future. I can see it happening.

Mik2121

Is the game playable at all with the original Occulus dev?

I don't think the game supports it? If it does, I think it's worth it for the feel of being inside a massive ship flying through 400 billion stars. But it just won't do it for actual doing missions and stuff, as I could see the text literally impossible to read.
Most of us with the DK2 play always with it but keep talking about how difficult it is to read some of the text. Since someone found a way to change the color of the HUD many of us have changed it to green and now it's easier to read (the oculus screen does greens better than reds), and I personally don't really have any issue.

But yeah, if it's compatible, I'd suggest trying it once or twice for the actual feel of flying in space, and then just use your screen.

Looks like I'm dusting off the X52 pro tomorrow, I assume it will be fine, I haven't used it since SWG went offline.

What's the difference between the X52 pro and non pro? I have it in the OP because I've heard good things, but is it worth the extra? (I've only used the non pro)

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Finished an exam this afternoon. I couldnt wait anymore, i have more upcoming ones but i had to play. Dusted off my Thrustmaster warthog, trackIR5 headset and played ~2 hours. And more to come tonight :)

The game is so goddamn fun. I made 40k on a single wanted npc in a nav beacon, no idea how he even had that i actually never checked his rank or bounty, it was a small ship and wanted, thats all i needed to know. The fucking fed cops are annoying though, goddamn.

Mik2121

Thanks guys. I'll probably YouTube some reviews or something on that X-52. Know of any videos of how those types of sticks operate with this game? Not that I don't believe you, because I do, but I may have to sell me buying a different one in a month or so.

EDIT: Twisting is an absolute must...apparently some sticks don't do that? Why? It's the best part of a stick by a billion miles!

I have the X-52 (non pro) and absolutely LOVE IT. Apparently the X-52 Pro is made of a material that makes it feel more expensive (the non pro is mostly plastic). I've also heard some people say it's not as accurate and precise as they expected, but I've been playing this game for months and have never had an issue.

Also I got everything I need setup except for changing the weapon sets (I want to have the scanner on one and my weapons on another). That's something I'll get to change soon but I still have a couple buttons available, and otherwise I can access everything I need without taking the Oculus Rift out of my head nor my hands out of the X-52.... except for the galaxy map (god does that thing work terribly bad with the Oculus Rift, lol)

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Thanks guys. I'll probably YouTube some reviews or something on that X-52. Know of any videos of how those types of sticks operate with this game? Not that I don't believe you, because I do, but I may have to sell me buying a different one in a month or so.

EDIT: Twisting is an absolute must...apparently some sticks don't do that? Why? It's the best part of a stick by a billion miles!

Yaw on stick is actually never ever used in fighter planes. Always rudder pedals. When someone says they considered buying a 500$ Thrustmaster warthog HOTAS but reconsidered because of no yaw on stick... i cant help but chuckle, why spend so much money for authenticity and then want a feature that is fantasy? Its ok to want the feature, but if you have cash to unload, i dont see why someone would choose yaw on stick over rudder pedals.

Wreav

Banned
I see there's a new GeForce Experience update, which now sees ED, and is recommending that I do the Nvidia control panel upscaling thing to 2715x1527 on my 1080p monitor. Never tried this before...interesting.

Fuck. My wife wants to buy me something nice for Christmas. But Christmas is a fkn week away... I want this shit now.

She said "make an Amazon wish list".

Adding a HOTAS* (havent decided between CH and Saitek), adding TrackIR, adding Elite, adding Rudder pedals... hmmm

Fuck. My wife wants to buy me something nice for Christmas. But Christmas is a fkn week away... I want this shit now.

She said "make an Amazon wish list".

Adding a HOTAS* (havent decided between CH and Saitek), adding TrackIR, adding Elite, adding Rudder pedals... hmmm

the CH and Saitek's all seem to have their pros and cons. Honestly, the volume of problem reports on both Newegg and Amazon are very concerning.

If nothing else, these CH sticks seem reliable as hell. The lifespan of the Saitek sticks seems rather abbreviated by comparison.

I found these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceOdOytgT64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8vTHinjlkk

somewhat helpful.

edit: probably going with a CH setup. CH products seem objectively much more reliable and I think the analog stick on the throttle is a big deal for space sims.

"Also how important at the Micro Transactions are they things you can avoid?"

The only microtransactions available now are things like ship skins. There'll be expansions in the future, but they'll be like old PC game expansions.

Yaw on stick is actually never ever used in fighter planes. Always rudder pedals. When someone says they considered buying a 500$ Thrustmaster warthog HOTAS but reconsidered because of no yaw on stick... i cant help but chuckle, why spend so much money for authenticity and then want a feature that is fantasy? Its ok to want the feature, but if you have cash to unload, i dont see why someone would choose yaw on stick over rudder pedals.

My main thing is I don't want pedals in front of me. I do it for racing games but I have the wheel stand and makes it easier to deal with. With the modified chair I have for the X55 I'd have to constantly move it and the chair when setting up.

Klyka

Banned
I hope people are enjoying my streams and videos and the idea of the "Fight for Ho Hsi".
I guess it's become a little bit of a GAF community thing, I've seen quite a few GAF CMDRs around

Elite is probably the one PC game where I want to be at my desk. I like to pretend my office chair is the seat in my cockpit. I also make the room dark so enhance the feeling of being in space.

I really need an Occulus Rift, lol.

I actually bent a few old copper pipes and screwed them to the bottom of my chair. Use a few VISA mounts for tea as platforms to bolt off and on when needed. Nothing beats the feeling of simulating the environment of a cockpit, racing/flying or space sim. The Oculus is the last peice of my puzzle to though I'm tempted to make some sort of rumble for the chair if I can.

I actually bent a few old copper pipes and screwed them to the bottom of my chair. Use a few VISA mounts for tea as platforms to bolt off and on when needed. Nothing beats the feeling of simulating the environment of a cockpit, racing/flying or space sim. The Oculus is the last peice of my puzzle to though I'm tempted to make some sort of rumble for the chair if I can.

I know, I want a rift badly. But it has to have a higer/sharper resolution than it does currently, and I want it to have a Free-sync or Gsync type adaptive refresh rate. Hopefully when the consumer model is released.

I hope people are enjoying my streams and videos and the idea of the "Fight for Ho Hsi".
I guess it's become a little bit of a GAF community thing, I've seen quite a few GAF CMDRs around

I was watching one of your vids the other day, but didn't realize you were a gaffer at the time. Was a fun watch. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom