• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortis316uk

Neo Member
I went to set up Voice Attack last night and realized that my Turtle Beach PX4's need a special cable for the microphone to work. Goddammit.

You should be able to connect to the PC via a bluetoooth dongle - easier than having another cable tracking back to the machine - they are pennies on amazon usually.

Arrived at Ho Hsi, I guess it's time to finally get a bit of cash, get that Cobra Mk. III and start stirring shit up.

Also, ichtyander's CMDR name was tagged as invalid but worked for me, maybe try it again (SID 6581) if it didn't work for you earlier?

Glad that it's seemingly working. I haven't done anything regarding my commander name but was worried if people wouldn't be able to add me.

So pleased you guys are having such a great time in our game, and i love the fact that you're working to destabilse the system of Ho Hsi, who knows maybe i'll see you there ;)

Commander Johnjamin Out

These couple of days have been surreal for me. Waiting so long for a good space sim, and it being an Elite game on top of that, it's like finding a unicorn or something. You've done a fantastic job and I'm loving every minute of it.

Spent an hour playing the training missions. Didn't even make it into the main game. Clearly I need a heavier joystick (Saitek Cyborg Evo Force), but I'm enjoying the quirks of Elite combat so far (they want you to roll, not yaw; shields seem to have a set recharge time after they go down, and then restore to 100%; lasers and guns need to be led differently but guns kind of auto-aim).

Just tell me there's nothing as brutal as Incursion at the beginning of the game. I only made it to wave 6 before running out of autocannon ammo and getting crushed by three fighters.

Well, it all depends on what you want to do. If you take on missions with a payout higher than ~10k, there's a high probability you'll be mowed down in seconds. I haven't really had that many combat encounters, but the ones I've had, I've picked carefully and didn't have a lot of problems at all.

It's important to manage your power levels, if you're being pounded, transfer everything to systems (shields recharge faster) and engines (higher max speed, faster boost recharge) since you need to survive and escape, not shoot back.

Wreav

Banned
Made it to Sol last night, stopping to fully explore every unknown system along the way.

That rare artefact haul I posted about earlier netted me about 3,000cr per ton, which was a nice payday!

Whelan

Banned
Okay, I added everyone on the...

... except for WGMBY, whose CMDR name (Murro Crohan) can't be found and fishbang, who hasn't listed one.

Also, ichtyander's CMDR name was tagged as invalid but worked for me, maybe try it again (SID 6581) if it didn't work for you earlier?

Can you add me too?

Whelan & Whelan

Ronnie

Banned
Do people generally pick up floating cargo and try and sell them in the black market? I assume trying to find one at outposts is safer?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've never seen a black market at an outpost, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I came across one two nights ago, I forget the system name but I did write it down at home. I'm keeping a journal of systems I visit that have notable things like black markets, rich mineral rings, good trade routes I find, etc.

JambiBum

I'm not sure if travelling with stolen goods is a crime, but if they're prohibited at the station you'll definitely get a thumping.

Anytime I've ever picked up stolen goods and gotten scanned on my way to a station I always get a fine. They won't kill you but they will at least fine you. Unless I've just gone to station where that particular cargo is banned and didn't notice.

Also carrying 300k worth of gold on you when that is all of the cash you have on hand is a tense thing.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
How does this play with the 360 controller?

I'm using one and it's good enough. I don't expect to outfly anyone using a HOTAS - there just aren't enough inputs to handle 6DOF movement comfortably. Fighting with fixed weapons requires a lot of precision, and I expect the gimballed versions are probably weaker.

Isinona is back with new heat.

This video actually makes me feel better about myself, in terms of learning bits about the dogfighting. The fact that he's specifically pointing out stuff I figured out fairly quickly on my own (ie, power diversion, thermal on shields, kinetic on hull, etc) makes me have a warm fuzzy inside.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm using one and it's good enough. I don't expect to outfly anyone using a HOTAS - there just aren't enough inputs to handle 6DOF movement comfortably. Fighting without gimballed weapons requires a lot of precision, and I expect the gimballed ones are probably weaker.

They aren't weaker, but the auto-aiming gets disrupted by Chaff.

WGMBY

Okay, I added everyone on the...

... except for WGMBY, whose CMDR name (Murro Crohan) can't be found and fishbang, who hasn't listed one.

Oops, I got my names mixed up. It's just Murro

bj00rn_

Banned
Made it to Sol last night, stopping to fully explore every unknown system along the way.

Me too. I was trying to be effective and not explore too much, but there were so many beautiful systems along the way.. The "Benoit" system for one, never seen so many massive planets with enormous ring systems around them. Very mesmerizing, especially in VR.

I didn't expect Earth to be so detailed, hanging in space very close to the planet with the FOV almost completely filled was an impressive sight.

arimanius

So I've tried calibrating my x-45 multiple times but when I go in game my ship always floats to the left. Any ideas? I'm a noob to flight sticks.

JambiBum

So I've tried calibrating my x-45 multiple times but when I go in game my ship always floats to the left. Any ideas? I'm a noob to flight sticks.

Be careful that you aren't bumping your mouse. Even though you have a stick the mouse can still control things. Sometimes I'll bump it or use it for menu navigation and forget to have it centered again. Your ship will just drift in a direction until you can fix it.

I've tried the calculators with some success. Can someone give me a reliable trade route for steady money? I'd like just steady money. Should I be mining or just stick to trading? Am pulling between 10-15k a run.

What route are some of you guys running now?

Sinatar

I've tried the calculators with some success. Can someone give me a reliable trade route for steady money? I'd like just steady money. Should I be mining or just stick to trading? Am pulling between 10-15k a run.

I found one in Ho Hsi last night that's decent.

Me said:
Well since GAF is bumming around Ho Hsi I found a route there. You can buy gold at Steiner and sell it at Alexandreyov, then buy silver there and sell it back to Steiner.

Its all one system with about 30 ls between stations, and you'll make about 7200 credits per ton per hour. Not a bad little grind spot.

JambiBum

I'm running a pretty good gold route from Ho Hsi to Korovii. Nets me around 28k one way. Only bad part about it is that the return trip only nets me about 5k because the station I sell to doesn't have a good supply of items.

Sinatar, if you go to Korovii instead of that other station in Ho Hsi it's about a 500 credit difference per ton.

arimanius

Tried changing the dead zone for whatever axis is drifting?

I'll look into adjusting the dead zones to see if that helps if I'm not being dumb and hitting the mouse.

Be careful that you aren't bumping your mouse. Even though you have a stick the mouse can still control things. Sometimes I'll bump it or use it for menu navigation and forget to have it centered again. Your ship will just drift in a direction until you can fix it.

I do have my mouse close to my flight stick so I'll have to move it and see if that helps. Didn't think about that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

So how difficult is it to switch from flight assist to no assist? I see the advantages of it, but the idea of constantly slapping my stick around to counteract my own movements seems daunting.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So how difficult is it to switch from flight assist to no assist? I see the advantages of it, but the idea of constantly slapping my stick around to counteract my own movements seems daunting.

You don't turn off flight assist always. You use it in specific docking and combat situations.

Wreav

Banned
Me too. I was trying to be effective and not explore too much, but there were so many beautiful systems along the way.. The "Benoit" system for one, never seen so many massive planets with enormous ring systems around them. Very mesmerizing, especially in VR.

I didn't expect Earth to be so detailed, hanging in space very close to the planet with the FOV almost completely filled was an impressive sight.

I have yet to explore the solar system, it was almost midnight when I limped into Galileo running on fumes. Can't wait!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

You don't "switch", you use both at different times.

For example, say I'm approaching a station from behind.

The quickest way to dock (for me at least) is to fly towards the front of the station with assist on, line it up so the station is above you,then just as you overtake the station, pull up slightly, flip assist off, and then keep pulling up gently, keeping the entrance lined up in front of you.

Then let the assist come back on as you "drift" in front of the slot, throttle down by 30-40%, and then head through.

Shitty MS Paint explanation:

qU7BT4q.png

Hope that makes sense. It takes some practice but feels SO GOOD when you pull off a good one.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
When i was trucking non stop in beta (made like 10M and lost it all /sad). I would have the type 6 in flight assist off and approach the station just like you say thelatestmodel, and then switch to flight assist on like 50m from the entrance grid all while asking for permission to dock. The heavy and long drifting type 6 was so fun to fly in FA off.

Sinatar

When i was trucking non stop in beta (made like 10M and lost it all /sad). I would have the type 6 in flight assist off and approach the station just like you say thelatestmodel, and then switch to flight assist on like 50m from the entrance grid all while asking for permission to dock. The heavy and long drifting type 6 was so fun to fly in FA off.

Yea the Type 6 is a funky ship to fly, it has such a hard time slowing down.

Wreav

Banned
Not sure if the Type 6 still flies like it did in the beta, but that thing was a blast in the private beta. Fast, drifty, nimble.

Skyzard

Banned
I had a weird issue with the alternative missions, it told me to abandon the mission but in a separate transaction, not the original mission:

AN59XcS.jpg

I completed the original mission and the alternative separate one now just lingers with no way to abandon:
XxcuJbU.jpg

Anyone run into this?

It's not going to be there forever is it...

Hours fly by with this game though and I'm happy that I'm understanding more and managing to do more stuff now. Picked up some new weapons and sorted out nice firegroups for the gimbals, bought slaves for missions and snuck them in past scans fine, discovered and scanned locations. Taking out some system ships in Ho Hsi.

Getting better and it's not overwhelming or anything. Also I'm glad the update let us get rid of those orbit lines.

I had a weird issue with the alternative missions, it told me to abandon the mission but in a separate transaction, not the original mission:

Anyone run into this?

It's not going to be there forever is it...

Hours fly by with this game though and I'm happy that I'm understanding more and managing to do more stuff now. Picked up some new weapons and sorted out nice firegroups for the gimbals, bought slaves for missions and snuck them in past scans fine, discovered and scanned locations. Taking out some system ships in Ho Hsi.

Getting better and it's not overwhelming or anything. Also I'm glad the update let us get rid of those orbit lines.

Yep, I have the same problem, two slavery missions stuck without being able to erase them, with the same garbled string name. I expect they'll be cleared when the bug gets fixed.

Skyzard

Banned
^lol

pays so good though
Yep, I have the same problem, two slavery missions stuck without being able to erase them, with the same garbled string name. I expect they'll be cleared when the bug gets fixed.

Ah okay, thanks. Hopefully they don't start filling up the list :) Good to know it's not just me though - so it's more likely to get fixed...without me reporting it myself :)

JambiBum

Skyzard you can clear that off of your list by going to whatever starport it says you need to visit. You can't abandon it but you can go to the bulletin board to clear it. I had a mission like that for a long time because I was far away from the port it wanted me to go to. When I made my way back I could clear it by going to the board.

I kept hearing about Ho Hsi so I went ahead and flew there! It's my first long distance travel, but since this is apparently the unofficial GAF system figured I'd park here for a bit.

I'm currently docked at some Alex enterprise place that doesn't want to repair my ship. :/

Skyzard

Banned
If I see you I will seek to liberate your prisoners with extreme prejudice!

Saying that, I'm in my unarmed hauler at the moment so I'll only be able to gently ram you into submission.

Haha, I'll make sure to stay clear of the charging hauler.

Skyzard you can clear that off of your list by going to whatever starport it says you need to visit. You can't abandon it but you can go to the bulletin board to clear it. I had a mission like that for a long time because I was far away from the port it wanted me to go to. When I made my way back I could clear it by going to the board.

Great! Thanks for the headsup.

Nice, a reply to the Chris Roberts post is there too:

David Braben said:
Thank You to Chris Roberts

I want to take this opportunity to highlight the gracious message posted on the Roberts Space Industries website by Chris Roberts.

I wholeheartedly agree with this – I am delighted by the grass roots driven rise in space sims. I backed Star Citizen and am looking forward to playing it as I’m sure many of you are. The same goes for No Man's Sky.

I sense tiny subtle digs from both to do with release states but whatever.

Btw, is the Day 1 ship decal the cheesy pirate skull?
They mention in the newsletter:
All in-game digital rewards are already in the game, so additional ships, decals, Commander names, planet names, MPC names and starting points plus founder’s world access have been attributed to your accounts.

On the game's full release you also get the Elite: Dangerous Mercenary Edition, loaded with digital extras:
• A digital download of Elite: Dangerous for PC (and Mac from Spring 2015)
• Your very own Eagle fighter ship docked in a secondary location in-game
• Exclusive pack of ship paint jobs
• A ‘day one’ ship decal
• A digital players guide
• A digital concept art book
• Plus loads more digital goodies to be announced over the coming weeks.
• Plus an automatic permit to visit Sol or anywhere in the Solar system without having to first earn a reputation with The Federation.

I see the Eagle, pirate decal, and a decent but single mercenary paint job (or is it one for every ship? As they say plural...that would be decent - though a paint colour set would have been nice, they're not bad though).

Looking forward to the digital players guide and concept art book. Hopefully it's nice and high resolution so I can grab some wallpapers.

So glad to be able to add weapons to my ship without paying real money for them. I know SC is early but that's such a drag.

DrBo42

Man they really need a better strategy for community relations. The amount of communication is so minimal it's crazy. Newsletters don't even contain info anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom