• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
Same here. Kicking around by Ho Hsi right now as well, love Steiner Hub, has tons of rare-ish commodities that I've only found there so far.

Quick question, is there any easy way to figure out where the damn hangar bay is on the cube space stations? Am I just dumb and don't know how to read the radar properly (probably)?

The entrance is always on the side that rotates counter clockwise. Also when you are locked on, there are arrows on the radar that indicate which side that is.

vehn

You can do both with the basic sidewinder. Sure, you can't get the enhanced data, but you can still bind the basic discovery scanner that comes with it to a fire group and get exploring!

Use the money you get selling the discoveries at universal cartographics to get that Adder, ASP or whatever and a better discovery scanner, continue forever...

What do you do once you bind it to a group? I see I can press the fire button and it will start "charging", but once "complete" it doesn't really do anything

The entrance is always on the side that rotates counter clockwise. Also when you are locked on, there are arrows on the radar that indicate which side that is.

I wish they had some indicator for platforms on outposts and smaller stations. I sometimes find myself flying around not seeing it.

Space version of these guys:

Corbis-BL003616.jpg

Same here. Kicking around by Ho Hsi right now as well, love Steiner Hub, has tons of rare-ish commodities that I've only found there so far.

Quick question, is there any easy way to figure out where the damn hangar bay is on the cube space stations? Am I just dumb and don't know how to read the radar properly (probably)?

When you lock on, there are arrows that will show you which side it's on as well on the 3d model.

I wish they had some indicator for platforms on outposts and smaller stations. I sometimes find myself flying around not seeing it.

Space version of these guys:

I definitely need that for the smaller stations, where they can have landing pads on different sides of it. Spent five minutes trying to find pad 2 earlier today, haha.

One-Shot

Banned
Check out EDTracker, I've placed my order and have read nothing but great things about it. A lot of people seem to like it, plus it's like 1/3rd the price and if you can make it yourself it's even cheaper.

But yeah, I played in the Rift first and it was just too great being able to LOOK where I wanted to, the FOV is kind of limiting plus I've seen screenshots of some cockpits that limit your view. But I need to move around, plus it would free up another button!

I really still don't understand EDtracker. All I ever see is this little tiny device. Like isn't there more to it? Where do you put it?

Nymerio

Took a contract to get rebel data from some dead drops. After some searching around I actually find the damn things, took me a while to figure out how to collect them but in the end I got them. I head back to the station only I'm not able to enter hyperdrive because I don't have enough fuel, so I check out the map and to my astonishment find out how to get to a nearer station to refuel. As I approach said station I get warnings about illegal cargo and what not and get fined almost 5k. Managed to deliver my cargo in the end but that was 5k down the drain.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Those god damn internal landing pad spinny stations.

There's me rolling my ass off in headlook trying to find it.

What I'd like to see is a little guidance arrow drawn on your HUD to direct you to the pad. I think that would fit the aesthetic just fine.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Those god damn internal landing pad spinny stations.

There's me rolling my ass off in headlook trying to find it.

What I'd like to see is a little guidance arrow drawn on your HUD to direct you to the pad. I think that would fit the aesthetic just fine.

There's a little dot in your left side target reticle for the pad. Not super precise as a big arrow pointing to the pad but it gives an idea if its above/sideways/under/behind you :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's a little dot in your left side target reticle for the pad. Not super precise as a big arrow pointing to the pad but it gives an idea if its above/sideways/under/behind you :)

Oh wow I will look for this next time.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Right, where are they located?

Ship functions

I've been playing the game since alpha 4 (whichever version the premium beta allowed to start with). And honestly, last night when i pulled my viper in the hangar and decided to look at the galaxy map before closing the game... the fucking galaxy still blows my mind, everytime.

I really still don't understand EDtracker. All I ever see is this little tiny device. Like isn't there more to it? Where do you put it?

It's a small acceloramter luke the ones in phones or some console controllers. It basically maps "movement" of the thing to an axis so you attach it to headphones or a hat or a tiara. Then movement of your head translates to movement of whatever you bound the axiseses to.

It makes "headlook" the toggle/controller option to something that feels more natural.

It does have to be connected to your PC by USB.

Other types actually use a camera that looks at something on your head so no cables to your noggen but you need a camera facing you.

Ronnie

Banned
Was on a mission to take out three traders in various systems, managed to kill the first two then jumped out at a USS hoping for the third. Instead it was an Anaconda just sitting there, the first I'd ever encountered. There's me cocky from my previous kills thinking meh, I can handle this. We're facing each other and I start to warrant scan it to make sure I can open fire, in the mean time it opens fire. A single blue plasma ball comes flying towards me. One hit, kaboom, dead. And that was me with 100% shields and hull.

Lesson learned.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Was on a mission to take out three traders in various systems, managed to kill the first two then jumped out at a USS hoping for the third. Instead it was an Anaconda just sitting there, the first I'd ever encountered. There's me cocky from my previous kills thinking meh, I can handle this. We're facing each other and I start to warrant scan it to make sure I can open fire, in the mean time it opens fire. A single blue plasma ball comes flying towards me. One hit, kaboom, dead. And that was me with 100% shields and hull.

Lesson learned.

The plasma accelerator is a serious piece of hardware.

bj00rn_

Banned
Am I crazy or is the cloud layer on earth moving, shrinking and expanding like real cloudlayers.. I visited at two different times, and I pretty sure that the cloud layers had transformed.. Or maybe I need to go to sleep..

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Am I crazy or is the cloud layer on earth moving, shrinking and expanding like real cloudlayers.. I visited at two different times, and I pretty sure that the cloud layers had transformed.. Or maybe I need to go to sleep..

Yea it's a dynamic animated texture.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oof, rough learning curve. I've been taking breaks every hour or so to cool off. Oh well, I'm slowly getting used to it. Feels a bit like Dwarf Fortress.

For example, I've been hopping from station to station trying to find newbie-friendly missions so I can upgrade my frameshift drive. Finally found one for transporting fuel. The destination is out of my jump range after I've picked up the fuel, so I have to drop it and take the fine. Bah

Damn, lots a friend requests just sent out, think I did the entire list and some already friends. Hopefully they implement some good stuff later to actually take advantage of that stuff.

Man, I swear every "play session" is just tweaking some new thing!

AJLma

I think my Eagle is maxed out for it's purposes. 2 Beam Lasers and a Gimballed Cannon.

Not sure whether I should choose the Viper or Cobra for my bigger bounty hunting ship. I need something that can take on Anacondas and Pythons.

Klyka

Banned
I think my Eagle is maxed out for it's purposes. 2 Beam Lasers and a Gimballed Cannon.

Not sure whether I should choose the Viper or Cobra for my bigger bounty hunting ship. I need something that can take on Anacondas and Pythons.

Both the Viper and Cobra can take Pythons and Anacondas.

The Viper is faster and has more shield, the Cobra is slower/bigger/fatter and has more hull.

Both have the same hardpoints but the Cobra is definitely more of a "combat transporter" while the Viper is just full on "combat ship"

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Made a graphic for the "where the heck is my landing pad" issue for new players:

1V8WGmn.png

It's a hollow dot if it's behind you, and solid if it's in front of you.

Despera

Banned
So what's a great throttle to compliment my Logitech Extreme joystick?

I heard great things about the CH Pro throttle. Is it any good?

HelloMeow

Just killed a Anaconda with my Cobra.

Got ~210k CR for it!

I almost did too today. Sadly one of the system security guys decided to get in the way and get hit by one of my rounds. I got the Anaconda to 30% and then I had to get out of there, because they were doing too much damage.

System security can be really annoying. They'll steal your kills and turn on you if you hit them by accident.
I know you can turn off "report crimes against me", but that is just a workaround for what I feel is a real issue. It would be great if they didn't have such a short fuse. Like you need to do a certain percentage of damage to them when you're targeting someone else.

One-Shot

Banned
It's a small acceloramter luke the ones in phones or some console controllers. It basically maps "movement" of the thing to an axis so you attach it to headphones or a hat or a tiara. Then movement of your head translates to movement of whatever you bound the axiseses to.

It makes "headlook" the toggle/controller option to something that feels more natural.

It does have to be connected to your PC by USB.

Other types actually use a camera that looks at something on your head so no cables to your noggen but you need a camera facing you.

Okay thanks, I was thinking it was another DYI version of TrackIR or something.

la_briola

So what's a great throttle to compliment my Logitech Extreme joystick?

I heard great things about the CH Pro throttle. Is it any good?

I have it, its great.

I almost did too today. Sadly one of the system security guys decided to get in the way and get hit by one of my rounds. I got the Anaconda to 30% and then I had to get out of there, because they were doing too much damage.

System security can be really annoying. They'll steal your kills and turn on you if you hit them by accident.
I know you can turn off "report crimes against me", but that is just a workaround for what I feel is a real issue. It would be great if they didn't have such a short fuse. Like you need to do a certain percentage of damage to them when you're targeting someone else.

I focused the power plant under sub-targets. I think the Anaconda exploded at ~40% hull.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

To add on this, all atmospheres will change in the game. If you spend enough time around a gas giant, you would see something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCQXXNCawF4&feature=youtu.be

Flunkie

Banned
well I just bought this despite having a backlog the size of Texas

just wish I could play sometime this fucking week, the download is going so slow

wsippel

Banned
Is it just me or did Alexeyev suddenly stop selling silver?

Also, what should I put on my Cobra? I was thinking beam lasers on the small hardpoints and either multicannons or regular cannons on the medium ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom