• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
So how exactly does the multiplayer work in this? For example, I know a few of you hang around Ho Hsi so if I were to rock up and join the fray, what would be my chances of seeing you guys?

If people are there you should see them, but space is pretty big and people wander for trade routes/missions/exploring.

I've been able to meet up each day and go out together although it's a bit challenging without the "wings" mechanic as they don't always show up on your radar. I should buy a longer range sensor.

If people are there you should see them, but space is pretty big and people wander for trade routers/missions/exploring.

I've been able to meet up each day and go out together although it's a bit challenging without wings as they don't always show up on your radar. I should buy a longer range sensor.

So we wouldn't be on different servers despite being in the same place? Does it divide the load up like that?

Skyzard

Banned
So we wouldn't be on different servers despite being in the same place? Does it divide the load up like that?

Yes, it instances (splits) things but the limit is 30 players (or ships total) in an area iirc, so pretty much we'll always be together.

There is a private group option as well.

Thanks. I'm not sure I'll join ya'll in Ho Hsi as I'm not ready for too much PvP yet. I haven't communicated with any real players yet, but based on some of the flying I've seen around the stations (ships crashing into them for example) I'm assuming I have seen some real players.

Klyka

Banned
Thanks. I'm not sure I'll join ya'll in Ho Hsi as I'm not ready for too much PvP yet. I haven't communicated with any real players yet, but based on some of the flying I've seen around the stations (ships crashing into them for example) I'm assuming I have seen some real players.

Ho Hsi doesn't have PvP, we are working together.

JambiBum

I need 17 stolen combat stabilizers for this Jet comms mission and I have no idea where to find them besides in USSs lol. It'll give me 100k though.

JambiBum

Does it say how long you've played the game there? I didn't see it.

Nope I don't see it either. Guess it doesn't track it anywhere.

Anyone know where to find personal weapons near Ho Hsi? Map told me they should be at this port I'm in now but they aren't :(

Nevermind, found some in misisture

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I tried to get to Ho Hsi but the plan route option was redded out. I'm also really far away from it. Does the plan route just stop working if the destination is too far? Or does this mean my hauler doesnt have a good enough fsd drive?

JambiBum

I tried to get to Ho Hsi but the plan route option was redded out. I'm also really far away from it. Does the plan route just stop working if the destination is too far? Or does this mean my hauler doesnt have a good enough fsd drive?

The farther something away is the longer you have to wait for the route planner to load up. If something is 100lys away you should be able to travel there, you'll just have to wait a while for the routes to show up. Hauler should be able to make that trip.

onken

Soo how expensive is it to buy back your ship if you get blown up? I don't want to save up 500k for a ship just to have to have it blown up by a hostile NPC..

Also is there any way to better track available missions? I've been rolling up to random docks but quite often there's no available missions for me (or they are based on combat, which is basically impossible in my stock sidewinder)

Soo how expensive is it to buy back your ship if you get blown up? I don't want to save up 500k for a ship just to have to have it blown up by a hostile NPC..

Also is there any way to better track available missions? I've been rolling up to random docks but quite often there's no available missions for me (or they are based on combat, which is basically impossible in my stock sidewinder)

Buyback is about 10%. It says on the right system panel the price for your current setup.

And no, you have to enter the stations to see the missions. To my experience, they are random and also depend on your rep with the faction.

onken

Buyback is about 10%. It says on the right system panel the price for your current setup.

And no, you have to enter the stations to see the missions. To my experience, they are random and also depend on your rep with the faction.

OK thanks - what if I can't afford to buyback at that moment in time? Is the chance gone for good?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
You should check out Isinonas videos. He does a great job explaining what he's doing, why, as well as his own narrative. Great pilot, too. They'll give you a good taste of the best the game.

Have you got a link to Insonias vids please? I'd be interested in taking a look.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Man I am super enticed by the VoiceAttack and custom ED voice pack, even if it's like 16 bucks total for the program and voice pack

http://www.elitedangerousvoicepack.com/download/

Shit looks insane.
Be aware that v1.6.1 of the pack and the binds for X52&X55 hotas is broken for new users who hadn't already loaded it up. The supplied binds file is not compatible with current elite or something. Something changed. Waiting on a fix from the author of the voice pack

Darklord

Banned
Why not? Work went into these voice packs, why shouldn't they be sold?

A gigantic amount of work goes into a lot of PC mods. Look at skyrim, fallout, ArmA, ect where they redo entire textures, build new areas, create dozens of new armour and weapons, have entire campaigns with NPC's, loot, and voice acting, and more. These are voice packs for $20.

The launcher is sketchy as fuck. Hitting submit for the verification code made it overtake the launcher, a hardware diagnostic message popped up, and the text is freaking out all over the place.

Is this playable with a controller? Won't be getting the pedals/hotas until I get back from Christmas break.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
A gigantic amount of work goes into a lot of PC mods. Look at skyrim, fallout, ArmA, ect where they redo entire textures, build new areas, create dozens of new armour and weapons, have entire campaigns with NPC's, loot, and voice acting, and more. These are voice packs for $20.

$20? The voice pack is 5 GBP. The program that it runs on I wouldn't consider a mod, it's a voice operated macro engine that can be used to do whatever you want on a PC.

The launcher is sketchy as fuck. Hitting submit for the verification code made it overtake the launcher, a hardware diagnostic message popped up, and the text is freaking out all over the place.

Is this playable with a controller? Won't be getting the pedals/hotas until I get back from Christmas break.
Very playable. I was using a DS4 up until yesterday when my X52 hotas arrived. The DS4 even has mouse support via the touchpad, it is a great alternative.

Ronnie

Banned
I was given a mission from the Federation to deliver them some combat stabilisers in return for a rank increase, there was me thinking fantastic! Then I looked at the galaxy map for high tech worlds and the nearest one was too far away, and so had to abandon the mission :( Any tips for getting those?

I'm finding it really difficult to leave my local area with my current FSD. I always seem to stay around the same 20 systems.

Nymerio

I'm too stupid to dock at that damn station. It's some kind of cube it keeps telling me to proceed to landing pad XY but I can't locate any pads oO

I really like the game but I'm not satisfied with my logitech joystick. It's a G940 and the throttle is ok but the stick itself leaves something to be desired. I actually like the layout and the buttons but the centering force is kinda bad. It doesn't really have a centering spring but uses the force feedback motors to center and provide resistance. Now I'm actually thinking about maybe getting another stick to play this with. I'd love to get the thrustmaster warthog stick but it's 160 €, bundled with the throttle it's 360 €. I think I could get stick alone and use the throttle from the G940. Don't know what to do :(

Does anyone have any recommendations for standalone sticks?

Hmm, been getting really shit frame rate in supercruise. Usually 60/70 when I'm flying around, but it drops to 20s in supercruise, really annoying me.

EDIT: Now getting 200fps in Ephesus, though that is basically empty.

Burny

Why does that devalue the effort of people who create voice packs and would like to get some paymemt for it?

Work is work and from what I heard of that one Elite voice pack, it's quiet professional. Just because some people like and are able to invest their free time in creating mods etc. which they offer for free, that shouldn't implicate a freeloader mentality towards other people, who'd like to receive some payment. when there's an investment of time and creativity, the price tag's size should be open for debate, not whether there is one in the first place.

Cirruss

Anyone know if there is any kind of reputation penalty for failing or abandoning missions? Had a couple that I picked up last night that have expired now.

Also today's Galnet news is interesting, another claimant for the throne appears meaning there's going to be one heck of a succession crisis when the emperor pops it.

I was on my way to Ho Hsi to see what you guys were up to over there but I got sidetracked collecting contraband for the local gang in the Ngaliba System. Now with the recent Galnews events occuring I'm thinking that although I might come to Ho Hsi still, It might just be a pit stop for me on my way to either Sorbago for the slave revolt or Kappa Fornacis for the blockade.

Mik2121

I love IGN but their review in progress video of this game is painful to watch. Apparently you need to do 20 hours of missions and trading runs before you can upgrade your ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-zt7FhyS_s

Getting everything about Elite takes quite a bit of time and invest, and I could see an IGN reviewer not having enough time to do so having to play many other games.

This is a title that I'd say most people will either love it from the beginning or just not understand and give up without giving it enough time. And I'm fine with that, seeing how it seems there quite a few people that loves it from the beginning :)

So I'm really thinking about getting this, and finally getting a flight stick. It would probably not be used that often so I'm not spending a lot on it. What's the consensus overall on the Thrustmaster T.Flight other than it's recommended? Especially with this game, anyone using it? Does it feel overly cheap?

LeBart

So I'm really thinking about getting this, and finally getting a flight stick. It would probably not be used that often so I'm not spending a lot on it. What's the consensus overall on the Thrustmaster T.Flight other than it's recommended? Especially with this game, anyone using it? Does it feel overly cheap?

One of the best Elite players (this guy) uses a T.Flight. I'm pretty sure it's the best possible choice if you don't want to spend too much.

I bought one after I broke my X52 pro like an idiot, and I'm happy with it for now.

Nearly had a heart attack trying to find Dock Bay 3 at the station I flew to, the sense of scale in this game is unbelievable. Games are so damn cool.

One of the best Elite players (this guy) uses a T.Flight. I'm pretty sure it's the best possible choice if you don't want to spend too much.

I bought one after I broke my X52 pro like an idiot, and I'm happy with it for now.

good to know, I had resigned myself to a gamepad but that's totally affordable!!

I played this game all yesterday. Haven't been sucked in like that in awhile

Just switched to the free eagle from sidewinder. Not really seeing the benefits yet and 40k in credits is hard to ignore.

I sold my freeagle and bought my first new ship today, a Hauler. Feelsgoodman. Now i can carry way more stuff. Had a great session tho, just cruising around, investigating USS'es, completed a few missions, flew through the rings of a planet for fun :D

In missions where you have to find black boxes etc, is the best way to just go to the system and keep flying around until you hit the right USS? Or am i missing something?

Klyka

Banned
I sold my freeagle and bought my first new ship today, a Hauler. Feelsgoodman. Now i can carry way more stuff. Had a great session tho, just cruising around, investigating USS'es, completed a few missions, flew through the rings of a planet for fun :D

In missions where you have to find black boxes etc, is the best way to just go to the system and keep flying around until you hit the right USS? Or am i missing something?

yes that's what you want to do

Hmm, been getting really shit frame rate in supercruise. Usually 60/70 when I'm flying around, but it drops to 20s in supercruise, really annoying me.

EDIT: Now getting 200fps in Ephesus, though that is basically empty.

Me too. Tried rolling back from beta Nvidia drivers and that seemed to alleviate the issue somewhat, although the frame rate seems less steady if orbit lines is toggled on and off.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Buying a mod? What?

Not really a mod, it's a custom voice pack for a tool assistant independent of ED. I'm only enticed by it, not sure I will actually get it. 15 is a bit much especially right now so early on, but if I see good reviews of it and I find I'm really into the game then it may be worth it.

I mean I haven't even played more than an hour of the full game yet since I'm only getting my flight stick in today and am waiting to see if I want/need to pick up a throttle as well. Something like this could be a good replacement, especially since the CH Pro throttle is around 115. Or it might just complete the experience and really put the game over the top, that is until I can get an Oculus.

Walshicus

The game is *constantly* forgetting my controller setup and bindings. I'm using an XB1 controller hooked up through USB. Any recommendations?

la_briola

The game is *constantly* forgetting my controller setup and bindings. I'm using an XB1 controller hooked up through USB. Any recommendations?
No idea, but you could backup and restore with two bat files.

Code:
xcopy "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings*.*" %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

Code:
xcopy /Y %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Custom.binds "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings"

xcopy /Y %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\StartPreset.start "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings"

Edit: for some reasons the backslashes get nuked when I try to submit/edit the post...
Edit2: maybe someone can fix my post ;_;
Edit3: fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom