• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogdud

So as a primarily bounty killer, what is there for me to do in Ho Hsi to earn money for my viper? I'm in the system right now but I don't want to screw the faction stuff up. I'm not really sure what I can do aside from attack everyone at the nav beacon and then system authority vessels (which won't earn me any money). Thinking of jumping to the closest fed system and earning some scratch then coming back.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So as a primarily bounty killer, what is there for me to do in Ho Hsi to earn money for my viper? I'm in the system right now but I don't want to screw the faction stuff up. I'm not really sure what I can do aside from attack everyone at the nav beacon and then system authority vessels (which won't earn me any money). Thinking of jumping to the closest fed system and earning some scratch then coming back.

Klyka's got a huge bounty... hunt him down!

bigjig

Just got the game - having a blast so far! Quick question: Is there any way to find out where you buy specific ships or outfit specific parts, or do you just have to randomly dock at stations to find out?

I almost did too today. Sadly one of the system security guys decided to get in the way and get hit by one of my rounds. I got the Anaconda to 30% and then I had to get out of there, because they were doing too much damage.

System security can be really annoying. They'll steal your kills and turn on you if you hit them by accident.
I know you can turn off "report crimes against me", but that is just a workaround for what I feel is a real issue. It would be great if they didn't have such a short fuse. Like you need to do a certain percentage of damage to them when you're targeting someone else.
Holy cow tell me about it. Me and some other lowbie guys got in a fight with an anaconda (there were seriously like four of us), and I accidentally hit another player with *one* round. Suddenly the feds show up and start attacking me right as the anaconda blows up.

Also it would have been nice to get SOMETHING for that Anaconda, but at least it was fun fighting him, what with dodging this never ending hail of turret fire. I didn't even know ships could have turrets firing at shit behind them haha.

RedSwirl

So how does this game handled distances and such?

I also because I'm just starting Frontier: Elite II for the first time and am surprised this game went with 1:1 scale for everything. Planets are so far away you have to accelerate time to get anywhere. Do you do that in Elite Dangerous or do they just give you much faster ships? And does this game have Newtonian Physics?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

I also because I'm just starting Frontier: Elite II for the first time and am surprised this game went with 1:1 scale for everything. Planets are so far away you have to accelerate time to get anywhere. Do you do that in Elite Dangerous or do they just give you much faster ships? And does this game have Newtonian Physics?

The game now lets you go as fast as 2000c (like really far from any mass and takes a while), typically. They removed the full newtonian model ala elite II because it would be nearly impossible to have a multiplayer game of mouse & cat with that kind of physics, it would be like finding a needle in a haysack. Time acceleration does not work too well in multiplayer games either so.. voila, the new compromise? Huge speeds.
The galaxy is still 1:1 scale :)

Skyzard

Banned
So I got destroyed pretty easily like 4 times in my eagle. Shouldn't have spent so much on upgrades! It's great 1 on 1 as you can stay behind them but as soon as another ship comes into the battle against you it's a lot tougher to not got destroyed.

Definitely agree with whoever said test new upgrades out too.

I get to the fight point (resource extraction site) after upgrading shields and my power consumption is over my output....5 minutes of emergency air left....at the fighting point lol. Ship disables... have to sit there in the system menu trying to understand how to disable things and what the priority stuff means. Not ideal!

For finding the entrance to dock in those big things with the cool blue gateway door - use this to help (just need to see which way it's spinning to find the entrance, which will be where the thumb points):
KDfmLOn.png

(curl your fingers in the direction it's spinning).

RedSwirl

The game now lets you go as fast as 2000c (like really far from any mass and takes a while), typically. They removed the full newtonian model ala elite II because it would be nearly impossible to have a multiplayer game of mouse & cat with that kind of physics, it would be like finding a needle in a haysack. Time acceleration does not work too well in multiplayer games either so.. voila, the new compromise? Huge speeds.
The galaxy is still 1:1 scale :)

So it's a little more accessible and game-like than Frontier? Because even basic tasks in Frontier are intimidating the hell out of me.

Within a minute or so the base ship can accelerate to 400 times the speed of light.
That's how. :p

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So it's a little more accessible and game-like than Frontier? Because even basic tasks in Frontier are intimidating the hell out of me.

Even if the game does no hand holding and is very hard in the beginning, yes its a lot more easier to grasp the controls of the ship than frontier. With flight assist on, this game's dogfights feels like old school space sims ala Tie-fighter. If you want wacky manoeuvers, newtonian flight will give you a feel of frontier elite II :)

Nothing quite like going 500c in space and seeing huge stars or planets in the distance passing by just as if it was nothing. Humans would only DREAM of achieving those speeds ever in their lifetime lol.

Klyka

Banned

If you hunt down bounties in federation systems and then head to ho hsi and hand them in at steiner hub you get your money AND increase influence of Jet Comms!

Wow, just had an amazing time playing in a group with Pangur, thanks man! It's really cumbersome to find each other and get to the same place, but we ran into an asteroid field with two anacondas and maybe a dozen ships, quite the epic battle. One of the anacondas actually started to chase me so I got her out of the battle while the others weakened the first one while also being chased by two clean fighters, a sidewinder and a viper (I suppose I must've scratched a clean ship, not sure what caused my wanted status). I flew back, started pounding the first one, landed one of the finishing blows - 50k bounty! Alright, survived that with 50% hull. Let's kill the second one, shall we? I was just cautiously flying around the anaconda, landing a few blows and at the final 5% started to unloading everything I got. 100k bounty, woo! Feeling bad about Pangur, authorities started nailing him for some reason as well, he had to bail out but I got the 150k bounty.

After a couple of days of painful grinding, this was an amazing moment, and I finally bought the cobra. So spacious inside... Still don't know what to put in it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
All right, I've finally made it to Ho Hsi - I just had to upgrade the starter drive once and then refuel along the way. Seems like a nice enough system. Go Jet Comms!

(is there any benefit to increasing the influence of Jet Comms or is it just something random we picked to do?)

"Any idea why my speed in supercruise would steadily drop? Like I'm down to 56c right now and dropping, on full throttle. Stock sidewinder."

Your proximity to large objects affects your speed in supercruise.

Uthred

I know theres no offline mode anymore, I believe there is still a singleplayer mode though? Does it lack anything (other than other players of course ;) )

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I know theres no offline mode anymore, I believe there is still a singleplayer mode though? Does it lack anything (other than other players of course ;) )

Solo mode is exactly the same universe as the multiplayer one, the market/politics/factions are affected by both the solo and multiplayer players, its the same world. Just no pvp.

Klyka

Banned
All right, I've finally made it to Ho Hsi - I just had to upgrade the starter drive once and then refuel along the way. Seems like a nice enough system. Go Jet Comms!

(is there any benefit to increasing the influence of Jet Comms or is it just something random we picked to do?)

It will give you rep with the Federation and Jet Comms and turn the system into a Federation system meaning you will be VERY welcome there

RedSwirl

So you can't explore planets in this game, but are there at least ports on planets where you can land? Or is it pretty much like Elite 1 in this regard?

So you can't explore planets in this game, but are there at least ports on planets where you can land? Or is it pretty much like Elite 1 in this regard?

In a lot of ways it's more like Elite 1, so yeah, you can't land on planets in any way at the moment. It is planned as one of the expansions though, alongside walking on foot on planets, ships, stations, fps gameplay etc.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Started playing with my HOTAS X tonight and wow, it's like a whole different game. With my X360 controller is was hit or miss for evading interdictions, but I haven't failed a single one tonight.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Right now, you cant land on planets.

Expansion in 2015 to include fully manual & no loading atmospheric re-entry ala space engine. The devs said that they want to make sure that the procedural generation on the planet is interesting, as in, worthwhile to stop and get out of the ship and go interact with NPCs, hunt wildife, etc.

Seeing this from above and thinking, Hmmm, this has cities that you could probably spend the rest of your life in to explore

uJ5AsI6.jpg

I9qUMXx.jpg

TD3eGZx.jpg

Gaz_RB

Man until I see planetary landings/exploration that is worthwhile, I don't know if I can buy in. What about cities and stuff? Seems really difficult.

Man until I see planetary landings/exploration that is worthwhile, I don't know if I can buy in. What about cities and stuff? Seems really difficult.

You should check out Isinonas videos. He does a great job explaining what he's doing, why, as well as his own narrative. Great pilot, too. They'll give you a good taste of the best the game.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

If an indie dev can make it, why would the fathers of procedural generation and planetary landing not be able to? They did it (although less interesting than what you could do nowadays) on an Amiga, in 1993.

Procedural cities is the hardest part im pretty sure, but tech has advanced so much. If the algorithm is well set, you can do anything with procedural tech, even an endless GTA.

This paper from Berkeley for example.
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~sequin/PAPERS/Parish_Mueller_Cities.pdf

And bonus, David Braben giving a speech @ Ted x on procedural tech. A must see imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVutbSqBI0

RedSwirl

It'll be interesting comparing this and NMS when that does happen. I imagine it'll be like the difference between PGR and Forza. Honestly NMSs emphasis on ground exploration from the get-go makes it the more immediately interesting game to me right now. Right now I'm imagining it as a more arcadey version of Frontier.

If an indie dev can make it, why would the fathers of procedural generation and planetary landing not be able to? They did it (although less interesting than what you could do nowadays) on an Amiga, in 1993.

Procedural cities is the hardest part im pretty sure, but tech has advanced so much. If the algorithm is well set, you can do anything with procedural tech, even an endless GTA.

The real tragedy is, I keep imagining what would be possible if a company like EA or Ubisoft actually put a 500 person team to work on a something like this. These games might actually spoil my experience with Mass Effect 4 when that rolls around. This shit in Frontier is basically what I imagined while playing Mass Effect 1.

Raticus79

Hmm, I guess I should stick to solo until I can get established. I was taken out by a gaffer hanging around Ho Hsi. The social options are pretty limited, but if we all add each other on friends lists it'll be easier to recognize each other at least until we get some group tags or something.

Gaz_RB

And bonus, David Braben giving a speech @ Ted x on procedural tech. A must see imo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVutbSqBI0

Hmm this definitely increased my believability. at this point I really shouldn't doubt what we can do with technology given how far we've already come.

You should check out Isinonas videos. He does a great job explaining what he's doing, why, as well as his own narrative. Great pilot, too. They'll give you a good taste of the best the game.

Oh haha, no, I've put almost 50 hours into this over the past week, I didn't mean buy into the game, just the feasibility of planetary landings. That's funny though, because those videos actually got me to buy the game in the first place!

JambiBum

Hmm, I guess I should stick to solo until I can get established. I was taken out by a gaffer hanging around Ho Hsi. The social options are pretty limited, but if we all add each other on friends lists it'll be easier to recognize each other at least until we get some group tags or something.

That was me. I actually didn't mean to kill you. Just wanted your cargo. I meant to launch my hatch breakers and instead launched my torpedo. If it's any consolation you cost me 25k in a bounty fee and a new torpedo. I also chatted to you but you didn't respond.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The real tragedy is, I keep imagining what would be possible if a company like EA or Ubisoft actually put a 500 person team to work on a something like this. These games might actually spoil my experience with Mass Effect 4 when that rolls around. This shit in Frontier is basically what I imagined while playing Mass Effect 1.

If EA or Ubisoft tried to put 500 men on something like this, they would make something alright... but i doubt it would be functional or what we want. These guys anyway like to have 500+ persons teams for games that are focused on polygons and artistic texturing, very static universe (relatively) when we think about it. Much like the Sean Murray said in No man's sky interviews, these guys dont think about solutions like these because they've got over a decade of experience doing the build a wall then paint on it approach.

Raticus79

That was me. I actually didn't mean to kill you. Just wanted your cargo. I meant to launch my hatch breakers and instead launched my torpedo. If it's any consolation you cost me 25k in a bounty fee and a new torpedo. I also chatted to you but you didn't respond.

Oh, weird, I was actually looking but didn't see anything come up. Oh well. Yeah, I was cheap to rebuild in comparison, heh.

I'll keep plugging away at the faction work. It's an interesting process. I was reading up on it and it seems like the dynamics aren't fully understood yet.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71327

Interest tibit here on page 40:
"OK guys. I think I have finally ceacked what the problem is!

When you pick a mission for crimson state and successfully complete it you will see its effects benifit CSG. You will also see that it brings down the standing of another faction. So basically CSG is stealing % from this competitor. If this compettitor does not have any % left then we have gained nothing! I just done 3 missions for CSG in Cavedish rig and all were stealing % from the Dominion of Lugh who are already at 0%.

We need to do missions an find out which station is bringing down the Lugh for Equality on completion of missions. Get on it and print up here as soon as you know! We need to steal their %.

I can already confirm Cavendish Ring is a waste of time!

Lets go to work people!"

So in our case, we'd want to make sure the missions we're doing hurt the "Ho Hsi Corp" and not the other three.

vehn

What can I do to fix "frame shift cancelled: jump; exceeds drive fuel use limit of 0.6 tons"? Do I buy a better FSD or something?

Animator

Question to those who were in the beta. I haven't touched this since I bought it in the beta. Does the beta client update to the full version or do you need to redownload the whole game again?

I am not going to be home for a couple more hours and was wondering.

JambiBum

Question to those who were in the beta. I haven't touched this since I bought it in the beta. Does the beta client update to the full version or do you need to redownload the whole game again?

I am not going to be home for a couple more hours and was wondering.

It's an update but it's a substantially sized update if you haven't done it for a while.

Skyzard

Banned

Haha I told him afterwards as I saw you both on my way back...but I thought you escaped the first time.

Lol what! That was him that time as well? So cruel!

I was doing your gold run (text comms stopped responding after a while btw) and I KEPT getting interdicted at Steiner - I assumed due to my bounty. But on the way to Korovii was fine...so I figured I'd max my cargo by selling my shield at steiner and buying it again at korovii, since the way back doesn't net too much anyway.

Interdicted at korovii. Scared the shit out of me hauling 180K+ with no shields. The time before (on the way to Steiner) they took out my thrusters and I couldn't escape...hit the frameshift jump button resetting the escape by accident/panic.

Luckily made it, was going through the gate relieved when I just remember to ask for a pass lol.

No more of that run for a while I think. Got about 330K including ship value but not sure if I should keep going for the cobra or just take a viper, going to check some reviews now.

Can security scan you if you do silent running after they interdict you?

So how exactly does the multiplayer work in this? For example, I know a few of you hang around Ho Hsi so if I were to rock up and join the fray, what would be my chances of seeing you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom