• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Man they really need a better strategy for community relations. The amount of communication is so minimal it's crazy. Newsletters don't even contain info anymore.

TBH, I'm happier seeing the daily updates than community hyping, I mean communication :p

Ok so this is probably a silly question, but what does flight assist actually do?

From what I understand:
You're in space right, so, say you pitch down without assists, you'll just spin forever in space. Flight assist counteracts the force you applied so you're pointing in the direction you want to, without having to balance things yourself.
You don't turn as fast but everything is much more smooth and simple.

Daedalux

Neo Member
Tempted to bite this one..

As a former Freelancer addict (+1000hours) will this bring me back memories?

And to add I just bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick.

Ok so this is probably a silly question, but what does flight assist actually do?

Without flight assist, you need to counteract every movement you do. So if you start flying, and want to stop, you must actually thrust in the reverse direction until you reach zero, THEN cut the thrust off. If you start turning, you must then "un" turn.

Wreav

Banned
Man they really need a better strategy for community relations. The amount of communication is so minimal it's crazy. Newsletters don't even contain info anymore.

Go post on their forums, devs are posting there nonstop. Newsletters, reddit, and gaf are all the wrong places to look for interaction with FD.

DrBo42

Go post on their forums, devs are posting there nonstop. Newsletters, reddit, and gaf are all the wrong places to look for interaction with FD.

I've been on their forums for months, they really don't. When they do respond it's usually very minimal. Recently Sandro did step up and cleared the air about Wings but that was only after about 20 threads on it over the course of days. It's pretty few and far between. Anyway, the devs themselves shouldn't have to pop in when they have a spare second and answer questions, that's what community staff are for.

Thanks for the help guys, that makes sense. Probably won't turn off flight assist until I get my HOTAS since it's already a pain with a mouse to pilot properly.

Thanks for the help guys, that makes sense. Probably won't turn off flight assist until I get my HOTAS since it's already a pain with a mouse to pilot properly.

It's a pain with the HOTAS too, lol. I honestly don't see too much advantage of it being off but I'm also not 'good' at it. I mean, even in that video that person is extremely good at it and they were on par with hits/damage as the other pilot.

Maybe in a faster ship. I mainly want to get it down so I can turn it off, flip my ship around while keeping my velocity and flip the bird to the guy chasing me ... or shoot him while he's in pursuit.

Even better would be to go into Supercruise backwards with it ... not sure if that's possible.

Cirruss

Arrgh this is so aggravating, got a mission to hand in the Kadenyuk Station in Kini, but the 3 landing pads it has are always full. By the time I get in my mission will have expired ><

Nymerio

ok, I need some help. I've started the game and did some of the training stuff to get used to flying and shooting. I then started a solo game and took a contract from the station. I left the station and figured out how to go other systems(?). The contract was for a kill on some guy in another system, after flying around a bit I figured out how to get to the systems where his know locations are, but once I'm at such a system how do I actually find the guy? Should he just show up, or is there some type of scan I do to find my target?

Isinona is back with new heat.

Yea this is pretty much par for the course for the fights I've had so far, those are the type of maneuvers you see with people using Hotas/Sticks. The funny part though is if you were away from the fight looking at them, you'd be like, what are those guys doing, they are just flying in circles. Examine your opponent, if you have the advantage weapons/armor wise (in this case Isinona had a large advantage of having a much heavier resistant ship armor etc.) I'm not sure he could of, but if he had the chance to break away from the opponent and joust with him it would of been to his advantage. With that being said the eagle is obviously a slightly faster ship, so if the pilot is skilled enough they will be able to stay on you.

Well, it all depends on what you want to do. If you take on missions with a payout higher than ~10k, there's a high probability you'll be mowed down in seconds. I haven't really had that many combat encounters, but the ones I've had, I've picked carefully and didn't have a lot of problems at all.

It's important to manage your power levels, if you're being pounded, transfer everything to systems (shields recharge faster) and engines (higher max speed, faster boost recharge) since you need to survive and escape, not shoot back.

Oh yeah, all that stuff makes sense to me. It's just that Incursion is specifically a combat training exercise, so running isn't an option. As long as three ships don't just randomly jump me every so often at the start, I figure I'll be alright.

Can't wait to actually start playing tonight. Training exercises are fine but it's time for real action.

ok, I need some help. I've started the game and did some of the training stuff to get used to flying and shooting. I then started a solo game and took a contract from the station. I left the station and figured out how to go other systems(?). The contract was for a kill on some guy in another system, after flying around a bit I figured out how to get to the systems where his know locations are, but once I'm at such a system how do I actually find the guy? Should he just show up, or is there some type of scan I do to find my target?

Just a normal scan (Face a ships direction, wait for the scan to finish on the left). The problem is if you don't have a wake scanner or interdiction unit you can't follow him when he uses his frame shift drive, or pull him out of super cruise, so you'll be relying on him being in normal flight near a beacon or something. Also be aware assassination missions usually have pretty tough targets, so if you just started, you're probably going to die.

Finally got some time to play the game this morning, outside of tutorials.

Yeah, I think I'm going to be hooked, and all I've done is delivered cargo in Solo mode so far. This literally is Mount & Blade in space and I fucking LOVED that game.

Also, does anyone else experience a moment of terrified awe EVERY time they drop out of hyperspace in front of a giant star? Every goddamn time I have a split second feeling of "OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT".

So the new bulletins--stuff like blockading a system, the emperor being declared mad, etc. Do these have repercussions on missions you can do? Like, can I go to the blockaded system and ally with one side or the other and do missions for them?

Also, I lucked out and am only about 74ly away from Sol, but it says I need a permit to go there. How do I get those?

EDIT: Also also, I feel like TrackIR, or some kind of equivalent, is going to be required for me. So many moments where I want to look around without adjusting my ships course.

Does anyone know of a fix for the 0MB/s bug on the installer? It refuses to download for the majority of the time, so the game is taking forever.

I've read plenty of forum posts about it, but haven't really found a concrete solution. I've tried VPNs, fucking around with network settings etc, but nothing seems to be working.

Hey do any of you guys have a 680 and are running this in the Rift (or on a 120hz screen)?

I am waiting for a 970 successor to upgrade, am wondering if this is worth the buy in the mean time. Not holding my breath, but I might be surprised.

WGMBY

Also, I lucked out and am only about 74ly away from Sol, but it says I need a permit to go there. How do I get those?

All the early backers got Sol permits automatically, everyone else needs to earn one. Sol is held by the Federation, so I assume the permits would come from them.

EDIT: googling around shows that certain Federation missions give out system permits. Looks like you may need some Federation reputation before you can access them however.

EDIT: Also also, I feel like TrackIR, or some kind of equivalent, is going to be required for me. So many moments where I want to look around without adjusting my ships course.

Check out EDTracker, I've placed my order and have read nothing but great things about it. A lot of people seem to like it, plus it's like 1/3rd the price and if you can make it yourself it's even cheaper.

But yeah, I played in the Rift first and it was just too great being able to LOOK where I wanted to, the FOV is kind of limiting plus I've seen screenshots of some cockpits that limit your view. But I need to move around, plus it would free up another button!

Klyka

Banned
If you work at FDev, then welcome to NeoGAF! Also, please express my thanks to the team, job well done so far with Elite. I'm having a blast with it just like I first did 30 years ago on my C64.

Cheers, you're more than welcome if it weren't for guys it wouldn't of happened in the first place, keep eyes on the horizon, there's more good stuff to come ;)

OH YEAH they actually did it! This has been a very requested feature for over half a year now, .[/QUOT

both externally and internally ;)

is there any way for you to give us Ho Hsi guys a little tip on whether or not what we are doing has ANY impact on the system or if we are going at it totally wrong? Cause I feel no matter what we do, Ho Hsi Corp somehow gains influence

Nymerio

Just a normal scan (Face a ships direction, wait for the scan to finish on the left). The problem is if you don't have a wake scanner or interdiction unit you can't follow him when he uses his frame shift drive, or pull him out of super cruise, so you'll be relying on him being in normal flight near a beacon or something. Also be aware assassination missions usually have pretty tough targets, so if you just started, you're probably going to die.

I didn't even find his ship? It should show up left panel (don't know what it's called)?

Guess I'll try another mission first :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
is there any way for you to give us Ho Hsi guys a little tip on whether or not what we are doing has ANY impact on the system or if we are going at it totally wrong? Cause I feel no matter what we do, Ho Hsi Corp somehow gains influence

Well people trading at stations owned by Ho Hsi Corp are going to be increasing it's influence, you need to outpace the trading which with our small group won't ever happen.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
In my last session I took on a mission to eliminate a couple of pirates. When I got to a USS at my destination there was quite a big ship and they sent me a message saying people were always being tricked into going there. They said I should eliminate some federal ships instead. I didn't feel too good about that so aborted the mission. Did I do the right thing?

All the early backers got Sol permits automatically, everyone else needs to earn one. Sol is held by the Federation, so I assume the permits would come from them.

EDIT: googling around shows that certain Federation missions give out system permits. Looks like you may need some Federation reputation before you can access them however.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Damn! I'm so close!

Check out EDTracker, I've placed my order and have read nothing but great things about it. A lot of people seem to like it, plus it's like 1/3rd the price and if you can make it yourself it's even cheaper.

But yeah, I played in the Rift first and it was just too great being able to LOOK where I wanted to, the FOV is kind of limiting plus I've seen screenshots of some cockpits that limit your view. But I need to move around, plus it would free up another button!

Bought!

Skyzard

Banned
A little annoying thing - when you accidentally fire at a ship...who runs infront of you while you're shooting at something else - you get a small bounty like 200cr...federation ships start taking you out!

Over 200cr and a missed shot? Comman guys.

I played this almost all day despite not knowing what I was really doing lol. Made 30K (WOW!!) in doing missions, picked up a 1200K bounty on a wanted NPC guy called Robin Hood :D

Couple of questions tho if anyone can help:

do I need a better ship than a sidewinder to go to a different system? Like I have a mission that requires me to go to a whole different area than im in and when I found it in the galaxy map I couldn't select it. It was just red and wouldn't let me click it to plot a course.

Where can I get some eh..."indentured servants"?? I need a couple of em for a job. Ive seen them for sale in a couple of outposts, but there weren't any actually available.

Oh and how do I buy new ships?

Thanks in advance :D

edit

also damn I almost forgot, is thre some kind of trick to landing on the landing pads in the smaller stations? Cause it seems so much harder than in big stations. Like I land directly on the spot but nothing happens half the time. Seems like its just luck sometimes if it docks or not successfully. Can be a real pain at times, scraping my ship all over the pad hoping it docks properly

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My X52 arrived today so I just had to test it out at work.

B5PnlgLCUAAoYlA.jpg:large

It's better than a game pad that's for sure.

So this game, I want it. It seems like it's EVE but with more layers of interest for me personally. Are there stations to dock at? I noticed in the OT there is mention of walking around but maybe I'm mistaken? How is the music/soundtrack. For the price point, my inexperience with the genre, and my tendency to get overwhelmed and bow out of games I would love some insight before I dive in.

AJLma

Yea this is pretty much par for the course for the fights I've had so far, those are the type of maneuvers you see with people using Hotas/Sticks. The funny part though is if you were away from the fight looking at them, you'd be like, what are those guys doing, they are just flying in circles. Examine your opponent, if you have the advantage weapons/armor wise (in this case Isinona had a large advantage of having a much heavier resistant ship armor etc.) I'm not sure he could of, but if he had the chance to break away from the opponent and joust with him it would of been to his advantage. With that being said the eagle is obviously a slightly faster ship, so if the pilot is skilled enough they will be able to stay on you.

That fight was fascinating, each pilot had their own advantages and skills that the other probably didn't expect.

Isinona being a master of maneuvering managed to outmaneuver and nearly destroy an outfitted Eagle with a (stock?) Sidewinder which is impressive.

I also picked up on the other guy's interdiction technique, that was really impressive and what's also more impressive is that the servers are actually taking peoples location in the star system into account at such an accurate degree.

Scary to think that there are guys out there that are this skilled already.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
do I need a better ship than a sidewinder to go to a different system? Like I have a mission that requires me to go to a whole different area than im in and when I found it in the galaxy map I couldn't select it. It was just red and wouldn't let me click it to plot a course.

You're ship's jump range is determined by your frameshift drive. If you want to travel further you need to upgrade that.

Where can I get some eh..."indentured servants"?? I need a couple of em for a job. Ive seen them for sale in a couple of outposts, but there weren't any actually available.

You can find slaves in Anarchic systems or Empire systems.

Oh and how do I buy new ships?

Any space station with a shipyard.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
also damn I almost forgot, is thre some kind of trick to landing on the landing pads in the smaller stations? Cause it seems so much harder than in big stations. Like I land directly on the spot but nothing happens half the time. Seems like its just luck sometimes if it docks or not successfully. Can be a real pain at times, scraping my ship all over the pad hoping it docks properly

Try yawing around in a circle - I think you have to be facing a certain direction while also in the bullseye.

Man, just finished a day of tutorial watching and training runs, finally got into the game in solo - it is an absolute blast. Can't wait to advance and join everyone in multi. The gamepad, while not ideal, is serviceable for casual play.

Skyzard

Banned
Jet Comms Limited has overtaken Ho hsi Corp with 48% to 47% :D

WE ARE DOING IT!

Nice!
I was worried after Sinatar's post about trading there (I assume by all the NPCs) increasing Ho Hsi Corp's influence...I wonder what's doing it?

My X52 arrived today so I just had to test it out at work.

B5PnlgLCUAAoYlA.jpg:large

It's better than a game pad that's for sure.

Lol, what? Your work is cool.

How many stress balls do you need :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't imagine playing without flight assist.

Jet Comms Limited has overtaken Ho hsi Corp with 48% to 47% :D

WE ARE DOING IT!

Excellent! I plan to have a nice binge session tomorrow, so I'll contribute to the cause!

Dock with a space station, open the shipyard and go to your stored ships tab, it'll tell you what system and station it's docked in.

Ah, thanks. I knew it was displayed in a menu somewhere, didn't know I needed to go to a station with a shipyard.

Made it to Sol finally, good to be home.
Lots of stations, saw my first capital ships and they are amazing, the area is familiar and comforting. A nice base of operations for me to strike out from and keep the fleet I hope to build.

They should have had Sol as the starting point, instead of sticking us out in the suburbs.

I actually started extremely close to Sol but don't have a permit :( Really want to see it before I head to Ho Hsi.

DarKshodaN

Sorry if this was asked before but can i created a second Commander without to delete my whole progress in the Game?

When not it's kind of a bummer to be honest.

Wreav

Banned
So I'm finding the Adder to be a tremendous ship. Right now rocking 12T capacity after some upgrading, and debating putting a 3rd gun on her.

WGMBY

Finally got my Cobra, what other ship should I aspire to?

Depending on what you want to do, I'd go with a Viper for combat, and Asp for exploration, or a type-9 for cargo runs. But those would just be my preferences, I'm still working my way up from a sidewinder

JINYX

Neo Member
added myself to the list as well.

Same here. Kicking around by Ho Hsi right now as well, love Steiner Hub, has tons of rare-ish commodities that I've only found there so far.

Quick question, is there any easy way to figure out where the damn hangar bay is on the cube space stations? Am I just dumb and don't know how to read the radar properly (probably)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom