• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This is an interesting article:

Was Elite graphically downgraded?

Judging from the screens they have there it seems like they may be right. I don't really care as the game is beautiful IMHO, but it's interesting that they scaled it back from the initial alpha and beta graphics.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
This is an interesting article:

Was Elite graphically downgraded?

Judging from the screens they have there it seems like they may be right. I don't really care as the game is beautiful IMHO, but it's interesting that they scaled it back from the initial alpha and beta graphics.

Its only a bug. Here's the same station, difference is the unbugged one is after restarting the game.

http://imgur.com/a/y8IKg

Sensionalist articles.. smh. One has to think, why would FD downgrade the game when it was running so well on a large number of PC setups during beta & gamma? If they'd of stopped and think about it for a second, they might've found its only a visual glitch, like many games have, and just ticket it.

One of the best Elite players (this guy) uses a T.Flight. I'm pretty sure it's the best possible choice if you don't want to spend too much.

I bought one after I broke my X52 pro like an idiot, and I'm happy with it for now.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. The other ones are just way out of my budget and scope of use. It would be my first stick ever.

I may just pick one up for this, and eventually Star Citizen.

Hmm, I was in Potriti and I was asked to source non-lethal weapons. It seems I have to go to somewhere 30 Ly away in a pretty shitty path due to limitations and return. And I have an hour to do it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmm, I was in Potriti and I was asked to source non-lethal weapons. It seems I have to go to somewhere 30 Ly away in a pretty shitty path due to limitations and return. And I have an hour to do it.

Is your nav computer set to Economical or Fastest Route? (Galaxy Map, navigation settings).

Man, that trading tool website must be getting hammered. Takes so long to load.

Also, anybody have a bug where the landing pad glowy squares and number will disappear? Had it happen a couple times, have to just do a 360 or loop or something and it will pop back. Only happened two or three times but it can be frustrating.

Sold the Freagle, not that great of a ship. Upgraded the FSD and power module on the Sidewinder and can go a bit further now so just trading back and forth.

2015: Year of the Cobra.

I was going to come to Ho Hsi or w/e it's called. But I can't get a route, econ or fastest. Plus you bastages are shooting each other, fuck that! I've lost cargo and my nav info just because of a couple NPC's and a couple players. I'm not going to go where a bunch of people are ready to kill me!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do you always get the full price you paid refunded to you when you sell a ship?

It seems like ship components work that way.

Charlatan

Neo Member
I've been hauling cargo in my Sidewinder and it's going ok. However, I've been wanting to try mining. I understand all you need for mining is a mining laser (or a couple, I guess) and a refinery. Since the limiting factor on what types of ore you haul is related to the refinery, is there any reason I *shouldn't* outfit the Sidewinder for mining? Or is there some inherent reason the Sidewinder would be a bad mining ship?

I've already upgraded my FSD and the two power thingies (power supply and distribution thing), so those are in decent shape.

I was planning on buying a D/2 refinery which has 3 slots in it, and a couple of mining lasers... that would be sufficient, right? That's about 50k all told, an amount I can get to pretty easily.

JambiBum

Man, that trading tool website must be getting hammered. Takes so long to load.

Also, anybody have a bug where the landing pad glowy squares and number will disappear? Had it happen a couple times, have to just do a 360 or loop or something and it will pop back. Only happened two or three times but it can be frustrating.

Sold the Freagle, not that great of a ship. Upgraded the FSD and power module on the Sidewinder and can go a bit further now so just trading back and forth.

2015: Year of the Cobra.

I was going to come to Ho Hsi or w/e it's called. But I can't get a route, econ or fastest. Plus you bastages are shooting each other, fuck that! I've lost cargo and my nav info just because of a couple NPC's and a couple players. I'm not going to go where a bunch of people are ready to kill me!

No one is really shooting each other. It was just me accidentally launching my torpedo and murdering a poor gaffer.

Sakwoff

Awesome, thanks for the insight. The other ones are just way out of my budget and scope of use. It would be my first stick ever.

I may just pick one up for this, and eventually Star Citizen.

It's really solid. Some of the buttons can feel a bit cheap, but certainly no dealbreaker and absolutely usable.

I got a T-Flight as my first stick, and it's still perfect for me. I mostly play DCS World and Freespace 2 with it, but I'm planning to get Elite soon.

Oh im doing the same mission, whereabout did you source the weapons? I need personal and non-lethal weapons. Went to an anarchic outpost I know of but it didn't have any. Or any slaves for that matter, which I still need to find :/

Is anyone playing today? Would love to meet up in Ho Hsi.

Uh. I can't find a fuel scoop.

I can find them easily anywhere I can outfit, but I'm not sure what I should get rid of in order to equip it. I'd like to have one for my long journey to Ho Hsi.

Have you got a link to Insonias vids please? I'd be interested in taking a look.

Here you are: https://www.youtube.com/user/Isinona/videos

This vid shows off a pretty intense dogfight he has with a (human-controlled) bounty hunter who is after him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-dHqX5cFB0
Some smuggling gameplay (AMAZING part where he tries to get my station security): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s11iSqywU4

My first real taste of Elite: just trading and hauling today. So far it's neat, especially now that I've gotten the hang of multi-system jump routes and the discovery scanner. Pet peeves right now are this station landing bug and (related) having to manually hammer smaller stations with docking requests until a spot clears for you to land. I'd much rather sit in a queue like a civilized person!

I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface so far and I think I like it. Working up the nerve to maybe start exploring things. So much to figure out!

Hmm I can't get the game to run in Fullscreen at 1080p. I select it, the window minimizes, when I click it it flashes quickly then minimizes again. I have to delete all config files for it to even be accessible. 720p fullscreen works.

Edit: Okay I didn't realize there was Borderless because I was doing the combat training. Now it seems to be fine.

Also added myself to the list, would love to fly with some folks but mind you I'm a beginner!

la_briola

I can't stop killing Anacondas, it's so profitable...

bounty_romqpb9m.png

RIP Ron the Con, he netted ~230k CR!

Tomeru

So guys, what has this game to offer to explorers? Besides site seeing. Being called a space trading game iskinda off putting.

Jedi2016

Finally have the money to buy a Cobra... can't find a station that sells one.

Upgraded FSD is ridiculous, by the way. Just a mid-level one, and my Hauler can go pretty much wherever I damn well please.

Skyzard

Banned

Upgraded FSD is ridiculous, by the way. Just a mid-level one, and my Hauler can go pretty much wherever I damn well please.

I used this:
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Cobra_Mk._III

Looks like they mix things up a bit though.

I got mine today at ...one of those...lol sorry.

Pop it into the galaxy map's navigation search to see which is closet (make sure it doesn't say removed in patch whatever next to it).

Also, Cobra is OP.

Gimbled lasers, rocket launcher, gg.

Really want to play with folks tonight, done enough trucking and combat by myself for a while. ...although I think I'll head over to a navigation place to get some credits. It's getting pretty costly to replace!

Jedi2016

I don't think any of those are within a hundred light years of me.. lol. I went waaaay out into the boonies to trade. There's still stuff out here to buy and sell, the economies haven't been messed up by a hundred thousand players.. hehe. But, I have no idea where anything is, so there's that. I just need to fly around and stop at every station that has a shipyard. But first, must eat.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Wait till you get an Asp. 32 light year jump range with an A grade FSD.

JambiBum

Gah for whatever reason when I went to start playing today my joystick wasn't being detected so I had to unplug it and plug it back in which reset all of my bindings. I really need to save those.

JambiBum

For some reason I can't set my throttle correctly now. The decrease throttle input doesn't seem to be registering whenever I try to map it.

Moongazer

I'm enjoying the game so far and have just started to get a feel for travelling around and trading a little bit. My biggest issue at the moment is actually getting on the landing pad consistently, its just very tedious to get on the blue target and still not be able to land while swerving about and crashing into shit cause the game hasn't decided that I'm on the right spot despite that fact that I am.

It just takes too long to get right imo and would be better automated even if you lose a little bit of the hardcore aspect of it. I'm not sure if it is meant to be that tedious everytime or if I'm doing something wrong (I've read it maybe bugged?).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm enjoying the game so far and have just started to get a feel for travelling around and trading a little bit. My biggest issue at the moment is actually getting on the landing pad consistently, its just very tedious to get on the blue target and still not be able to land while swerving about and crashing into shit cause the game hasn't decided that I'm on the right spot despite that fact that I am.

It just takes too long to get right imo and would be better automated even if you lose a little bit of the hardcore aspect of it. I'm not sure if it is meant to be that tedious everytime or if I'm doing something wrong (I've read it maybe bugged?).

You can buy a docking computer module.

Serrato

Since i dont want to always be near LHS 3447, where do you suggest I go next to help the federation? Near Earth? With you guys at Ho Hsi? (or something)?

Klyka

Banned

I could make you some videos where I dock in <15 seconds *shrug*
Docking computer is a waste of time/space/money.

Since i dont want to always be near LHS 3447, where do you suggest I go next to help the federation? Near Earth? With you guys at Ho Hsi? (or something)?

Come to Ho Hsi and you help claim it for the Federation! Civil War state is critical so we could do it soon

JambiBum

Man I don't know if something changed but I can't get my throttle set right. It either will only forward throttle if I push my throttle backwards or the game won't let me throw it in reverse at all. It worked fine this morning when I was playing.

vehn

I'm saving up for a hauler right now (I'm at 35k) and I'm just doing trade runs between 2 stations where I'll make buy low and sell high somewhere else. How much should I save before I buy the Hauler though? The trade goods I'm buying cost 8k each, which I can't even fill up Sidewinder (with 10 cargo slots) with.

Should I maybe wait until I can get the Hauler (50k), plus some cargo slots (say... 20k?), and then enough to fill up the slots (which would be like 150k or something). Doing that, I'd have to save up 220k... quite a few mindless runs in a basic ship :| Especially when someone with a big ship + lots of money can get like 500k in an hour doing the same thing I'm doing, argh

SummitAve

Banned
Oh man I had just shot down a few wanted ships, and had a nice sum of bounties going. Ended up getting shot down to 6% and right before my ship jumped the windshield got blown out. A timer started and I only had a few minutes to get back to station. I got close, but I didn't make it back to the station in time and ran out of oxygen. I couldn't see shit. Trying to beat the timer was pretty intense though.

GeoGonzo

I'm saving up for a hauler right now (I'm at 35k) and I'm just doing trade runs between 2 stations where I'll make buy low and sell high somewhere else. How much should I save before I buy the Hauler though? The trade goods I'm buying cost 8k each, which I can't even fill up Sidewinder (with 10 cargo slots) with.

Should I maybe wait until I can get the Hauler (50k), plus some cargo slots (say... 20k?), and then enough to fill up the slots (which would be like 150k or something). Doing that, I'd have to save up 220k... quite a few mindless runs in a basic ship :| Especially when someone with a big ship + lots of money can get like 500k in an hour doing the same thing I'm doing, argh

What? No no no, save up till you can buy a Hauler filled with as much cargo as you can currently carry (4? Hah!), from that point onward every trip you will fill it more with the profits. Much faster. Upgrade cargo slots once you've saved a bit doing full cargo trips.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Really noob question, but what's the best way to make money in the game? Trading, hauling cargo, etc ?

Trading, it starts off slow but as soon as you find a good trade route and a ship with a lot of cargo space, money just keeps flowing in. Personally i got burned a bit by it in beta so now im just bounty hunting, having fun and not caring too much about money since the best pure combat ships are easy to access early on. But the type 6 will net you a lot of money/hour. A type 9 can go ~500k/h

owlbeak

I could use some tips on trading. I've only got a Sidewinder and ~40k credits right now, but I'm finding most trades I do only net me a few hundred CR at most. I'm buying high supply items at one place and taking them where they are exported to the station that offers the most for them, but it's still a paltry sum barely worth the time it takes.

Marc

Wow, I finally worked out how to make money in this fracking game! Just hanging out at NAV points, scanning wanteds and blowing them to bits. Netted like 300,000 credits in a few hours, sometimes I would have to go back for repairs. I bought the Viper I had wanted, feels like a beast. Hits like a beast. Moves like a beast. It is a beast. Love it, and the default colours are pretty good too. I was in an Eagle; so hard getting used to the turning rates but once I line em up, smoke and fire. Missions are waaay tougher and offer such little money, it is enjoyable too as you have a massive sun next to you and there is even teamwork. The feds get involved and start blasting as well, nice little money run. Been taking on

Been outfitting it with a few upgrades, power distributor has to be the most important part of the ship. Definitely worth max upgrading that as soon as you can, got the second from top one but going to aim for the best on that part.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the internal config of the Viper? There was only 1 free slot and I think a fuel scoop is essential, saves you time and money. So that is gone. Cargo I am not that bothered with as I have no luck with trading or finding stuff needed for missions. I have a basic discovery scanner because if not bounty hunting, I would like to explore and see what this game can show me. Would of been nice if they gave you a couple of free slots instead of just one. Greedy, I know.

Upgraded a pulse laser to a beam laser, and added a burst laser gimbal for secondary firing to help get shields down with constant chip damage. Will see how that goes, don't want to rely on ammo based guns.

I dunno what they have done with the last upgrade but I am getting judder when it was smooth as anything beforehand, its not 'bad', just annoying at times. Seems to happen mostly when approaching systems to land, so I can get on with it. I was going to look at forcing supersampling for the rift, but probably will leave it now that is happening.

Anyway that is enough rambling. I am now Commander Laran, Bounty Hunter... I like that. :D Will have to start dedicating myself to a faction, just bounty hunting for an independent system right now as it has a range of ports and bunch together fairly well.

deoee

Can you play this well with keyboard and mouse or is it better to dust off a old ass joystick?
I'm interested in Elite but couldn't get myself to buy it yet :|

Cheapest way is the developer site i guess?

Thanati

Trading, it starts off slow but as soon as you find a good trade route and a ship with a lot of cargo space, money just keeps flowing in. Personally i got burned a bit by it in beta so now im just bounty hunting, having fun and not caring too much about money since the best pure combat ships are easy to access early on. But the type 6 will net you a lot of money/hour. A type 9 can go ~500k/h

Thanks. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom