• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanati

Added my name to the player list. Just started online play today so just trading whatever I can back and forth between the starting area. Game is nerve wracking trying to dock. lol

Especially when you play on open games. Can be quite a build up of ships!

Uthred

If you buy a costume skin and your ship gets wrecked do you lose the skin or can you reapply it to another ship?

Can you play this well with keyboard and mouse or is it better to dust off a old ass joystick?
I'm interested in Elite but couldn't get myself to buy it yet :|

Cheapest way is the developer site i guess?

As far as I can see the only way to buy it is the developer site

wrongway

Couldn't manage to stay awake long enough to play last night, but spent a couple hours playing the tutorials and fiddling with controls this morning. I'm so out of practice with using a stick for anything, and things get very silly very quick when I turn off flight assist. But it's super cool and really hits the old nostalgia nerve.

Only thing that sucks is the current version of the Saitek profiler keeps bluescreening my Win7 every time I enable a profile. Weird shit. Installing an old version now and crossing my fingers.

edit: Man, I don't even know wtf. The older version I got worked great for about 5 minutes, now it's also causing BSODs. Might have to just use what can be configured in-game. :[

Skyzard

Banned
The text chat (to friends) is broken since day 2, am I alone?

It works for some people when I message them...I wonder if it's because other people are playing in solo mode sometimes? Not sure but I've had lots of issues with it yep.

Gimbled lasers are so damn good. Makes it much less of a struggle to do consistent damage. Paired that with a rocket launcher on my cobra. Feeling a lot more powerful than before! Can take on 2 or 3 system ships at a time and stay for more rounds...whereas before I'd have to gtfo straight away.

Ronnie

Banned
My x52 throttle is set to zero but I'm still getting slight thrust. It's a pain for docking and taking off. Anyone else seen that before?

Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied.

(I know, move away from the starting systems. I'm trying to but I need to get my goddamned fuel from SOMEWHERE.)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
In the galactic trade map, how are you supposed to read the trade routes?

For instance, I see a system with two routes going into it for gold. I bring gold there, and demand is low and supply is high. That doesn't make sense. The lines were going IN to the system, doesn't that imply they are importing that good and will have demand?

Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied. Docking request denied.

(I know, move away from the starting systems. I'm trying to but I need to get my goddamned fuel from SOMEWHERE.)

If you keep getting denied, just quit to menu, and restart in solo mode and you'll be allowed to dock

So my wife is making me wait for Christmas so she can buy the X-52 Pro lol. wtf.

I guess this will let me run through Inquisition and just follow this thread for a week heh.

Just happened to me, fucking irritating. Good to know I can just quit to solo mode.

For instance, I see a system with two routes going into it for gold. I bring gold there, and demand is low and supply is high. That doesn't make sense. The lines were going IN to the system, doesn't that imply they are importing that good and will have demand?

From what I understand they simply indicate lines of trade, not necessarily demand. So the lines just tell you where the goods are moving to and from.

DrBo42

The AI have completely fucked the economy. The reason this occurs is that initially they were in high demand and then the NPC traders supply so much that it becomes a supplier. They've been trying to fix it for about 3 updates now.

JambiBum

Figured out the problem with my throttle. The reverse input was basically dead for whatever reason. Tested it with windows and Thrustmaster's tool and it wouldn't register. Had it for like 6 months and it just randomly died today. Thankfully Fry's let me exchange it for a new one that works just fine.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The AI have completely fucked the econony. The reason this occurs is that initially they were in high demand and then the NPC traders supply so much that it becomes a supplier. They've been trying to fix it for about 3 updates now.

Well that explains it. So how do you go about figuring out if a place has a demand for a good?

Has the AI screwed things up so much that the original place supplying has a demand?

DrBo42

Well that explains it. So how do you go about figuring out if a place has a demand for a good?

Has the AI screwed things up so much that the original place supplying has a demand?

You really just have to go visit and check it out. Some of it is still accurate but YMMV heavily. Not sure if they've created demand from original supplier, you might want to investigate. Anyway whenever they "fix it" it'll likely still take time to balance again.

Between that and the broken and repetitive progression missions I'm taking a break until some much needed content and fixes come. I still can't believe the game shipped without groups. Completely insane.

JambiBum

I don't know if I would say that the AI screwed the economy up because the economy functioned exactly how it should. Station got a higher supply of a commodity so its demand went down. It probably should have been slower and not affected by the AI as much, but other than that this is how the economy should work.

DrBo42

I don't know if I would say that the AI screwed the economy up because the economy functioned exactly how it should. Station got a higher supply of a commodity so its demand went down. It probably should have been slower and not affected by the AI as much, but other than that this is how the economy should work.

No. They provided so much supply at such a fast rate that they became suppliers, that's not how an economy works. A company or service would stop buying once demand has been met, not turn around and start selling.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

The buyer should stop buying once they have sated demand.

And the real problem here is the trade map isn't updated to reflect the fact that one source is depleted while the other is now the one with high supply.

JambiBum

The buyer should stop buying once they have sated demand.

And the real problem here is the trade map isn't updated to reflect the fact that one source is depleted while the other is now the one with high supply.

The price they pay for items does go down when their supply goes up though. That isn't the problem. The main problem is what you stated, that the map isn't updated accurately

Can you do a gift purchase for this? I want to buy my brother a copy but don't see an option for it.

Edit: Nevermind, for anyone curious the shop FAQ says this is not currently an option so don't buy anything as a gift just yet.

Jedi2016

I've found the information within the commodities list itself to be better. Over on the right where it explains what the item is, it also will say "Imported from" and "Exported to". Those have always been correct from what I've seen.

Also bear in mind that many systems have multiple stations, and they don't all import the same things. Go to the System view to see what each individual station imports, that will help narrow it down. I did a run of Indite earlier today, and one station would have been a loss, but that one didn't say they imported Indite, while the other station did... that one gave me a much better price, despite the two stations being practically right next to each other.

Starviper

I'm in Ho Hsi now, did some missions for Jet Comms Limited, looks like their influence is now higher than Ho Hsi. So how exactly do they take control now?

Skyzard

Banned
I'm in Ho Hsi now, did some missions for Jet Comms Limited, looks like their influence is now higher than Ho Hsi. So how exactly do they take control now?

I'd like to see more of their system ships around.The buggers still have me interdicted all the time at Steiner because of my bounty. Luckily I can dish out some back now.

Is multiplayer grouping with friends expected to be added as an expansion pack?

JambiBum

I'd like to see more of their system ships around.The buggers still have me interdicted all the time at Steiner because of my bounty. Luckily I can dish out some back now.

Is multiplayer grouping with friends expected to be added as an expansion pack?

No it's a free update in early 2015. Hopefully next month.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've found the information within the commodities list itself to be better. Over on the right where it explains what the item is, it also will say "Imported from" and "Exported to". Those have always been correct from what I've seen.

Also bear in mind that many systems have multiple stations, and they don't all import the same things. Go to the System view to see what each individual station imports, that will help narrow it down. I did a run of Indite earlier today, and one station would have been a loss, but that one didn't say they imported Indite, while the other station did... that one gave me a much better price, despite the two stations being practically right next to each other.

Isn't the "imported exported to" on the list the exact same information you see on the map?

I'm going to check again, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Skyzard

Banned
No it's a free update in early 2015. Hopefully next month.

Awesome, thanks.

And about the trade map... lol, no wonder this site was getting a beating:
http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Well that didn't go as planned!
Hi commanders, so sorry about the site over the last day. Moving to the new host didn't quite work out as I'd hoped on account of the site using a massive amount of resources.

The tech support sent me an email stating 'The next biggest resource use is a Shared application pool with almost 150 sites in using around a 10th of what your site is using. '

I think I have some optimising to do funniest thing is, the old host never noticed haha

In the meantime I've moved it back to the old host.

Klyka

Banned

Right now we got Jet Comm at 49% and Ho Hsi Corp at 47%. This is AMAZING, we are actually pulling this off so far!

Now what we need is to get Jet Comm to at least 51% (MAYBE 55%) as far as I can tell and then the civil war SHOULD kick off. Conflict zones will spawn, civil war missions will be given and we'll be able to fight for Jet Comms properly and take over the system :D

Thanati

This is a good point. Why are you denied docking at times? It's happened to me a few times too and I have no idea why.

Klyka

Banned
Oh wow, awesome. Let's do it. Jumping in.

I might jump back on in about 1 hour or so and we can try and get a little group together again and cause some mayhem. maybe blockade the station or something.

This is a good point. Why are you denied docking at times? It's happened to me a few times too and I have no idea why.

Because you are either more than 7500m away or because all landing pads are currently full.

FatboyTim

How on earth are you supposed to fulfill the "acquisition" missions for the main factions?

I've been running a few missions for sub-factions to gain enough influence to be offered a chance, and now the Imperial Navy are indeed offering me an "opportunity for advancement".

To complete their mission, I need to acquire a few tonnes of various particular commodities [ex. Combat Stabilizers, Personal Weapons, etc.] and suddenly all the systems that sold them a moment ago, no longer have them.

Even the stations that supposedly export those items suddenly are only buying them!

So after a couple of hours of system hopping and totally failing to find anywhere selling these items, I'm forced to give up the mission, losing me influence instead of gaining it... I'm tearing my hair out here!

So, what am I doing wrong? Is the mission meant to be an invitation to piracy rather than trading? Do I need to buy a cargo scanner and hang out at the nearest Anarchy?

Klyka

Banned
How on earth are you supposed to fulfill the "acquisition" missions for the main factions?

I've been running a few missions for sub-factions to gain enough influence to be offered a chance, and now the Imperial Navy are indeed offering me an "opportunity for advancement".

To complete their mission, I need to acquire a few tonnes of various particular commodities [ex. Combat Stabilizers, Personal Weapons, etc.] and suddenly all the systems that sold them a moment ago, no longer have them.

Even the stations that supposedly export those items suddenly are only buying them!

So after a couple of hours of system hopping and totally failing to find anywhere selling these items, I'm forced to give up the mission, losing me influence instead of gaining it... I'm tearing my hair out here!

So, what am I doing wrong? Is the mission meant to be an invitation to piracy rather than trading? Do I need to buy a cargo scanner and hang out at the nearest Anarchy?

Those kinda illegal commodities are pretty hard to find but usually anarchy systems are your best bet for personal weapons and industrial systems for combat stabilizers. high tech systems for non lethal weapons and reactive armor.

If you're more than 7.5km away requests will automatically fail, but your comms screen will tell you you're too far away. If you just get a generic "Docking request denied" message in the comms screen, then you've got the same problem I do--likely that all the spots are taken, or else something's screwy with the servers. I actually wonder if it's the latter, given that switching to solo mode fixes things. Are there really that many players in the game? If so, why on earth are the starter systems so poorly provisioned as to cause major traffic jams around every structure of note?

Thanati

I might jump back on in about 1 hour or so and we can try and get a little group together again and cause some mayhem. maybe blockade the station or something.

Because you are either more than 7500m away or because all landing pads are currently full.

Would be nice if the game told us this!

Klyka

Banned
If you're more than 7.5km away requests will automatically fail, but your comms screen will tell you you're too far away. If you just get a generic "Docking request denied" message in the comms screen, then you've got the same problem I do--likely that all the spots are taken, or else something's screwy with the servers. I actually wonder if it's the latter, given that switching to solo mode fixes things. Are there really that many players in the game? If so, why on earth are the starter systems so poorly provisioned as to cause major traffic jams around every structure of note?

People are just being dumb fucks who sit in the same systems cause they don't know they can go wherever the fuck they want and can make the same profit without having to deal with everyone else.

And solo mode fixes it not because of servers, cause it is still online, but because it A) resets all NPCs freeing up landing spots and B) gets rid of all the players.

Xander51

I just bought this and I'm downloading it now. It's the first time I've ever really played an Elite game! I'm looking forward to it!

Just earned like $140k sitting around a nav beacon and killing wanted guys. There were a few Anacondas and Experts in the mix, but there was a ton of station security, so I got some big payouts.

It seems like maybe they tweaked the "last shot gets the credit" because a lot of the bounties I got weren't from last shot kills, but I contributed a lot?

RK9039

Just earned like $140k sitting around a nav beacon and killing wanted guys. There were a few Anacondas and Experts in the mix, but there was a ton of station security, so I got some big payouts.

It seems like maybe they tweaked the "last shot gets the credit" because a lot of the bounties I got weren't from last shot kills, but I contributed a lot?

Does this work in solo play as well, just go to an Anarchy system and scan for wanted NPC ships?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wtf I just sold 100k worth of semiconductors. The market lagged on "Authenticating Transaction" for like 15 seconds. Then it stopped, and it never gave me my money!!!

God damn, now I have 60k left that was like 5 hours worth of trading.

Wreav

Banned

Did you have crime reporting turned on?

elyetis

So this looks like it has some EVE thing going on? Dont play this but you all are talking about converting zones and shit.
You/players can help *npc* faction taking/loosing control from systems, yeah. But it's not players faction/clan like in eve, thought I hope it's something we will be able to do someday.

Boogdud

Does this work in solo play as well, just go to an Anarchy system and scan for wanted NPC ships?

It does, yes. Doesn't have to be an anarchy system either. A highly populated system with a good economy will get a ton of people floating through as well. You just have to bee careful not to hit security ships while fighting.

Speaking of which, does anyone else have security forces just all of a sudden turn on you? I'll be racking up bounties for a while and suddenly the security forces will turn red and engage me for no reason. I'm not even wanted, don't have any cargo and I'm not using a warrant scanner so the folks I'm hitting aren't clean in the system I'm in. Seems to be some kind of bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom