• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephon

Been playing this game with a HOTAS/DK2 and I just can't get enough.
My favourite activity is boost towards earth, turning of flightassist and adjusting myself to turn slowly on an angle, then I exit my flight chair and go sit in the sofa behind me, and just enjoy the vista. It's simply beautiful!

But I need friends to be able to handle this lonely, cold place so I added myself to the player list and added you all.

"My friend was just like this. I watched him. It was great. It just takes practice. No one can dock perfectly right away."

*raises hand*

Docking was not a challenge. Seriously, you fly in the hole and thrust down onto a pad. It's not rocket science.

JambiBum

"My friend was just like this. I watched him. It was great. It just takes practice. No one can dock perfectly right away."

*raises hand*

Docking was not a challenge. Seriously, you fly in the hole and thrust down onto a pad. It's not rocket science.

I'll change that to not everyone who hasn't played a flight sim before can.

I just started playing. Never played a flight sim before (or at least not for decades) and docking has been pretty easy. It's just about everything else that's tough.

*raises hand*

That's good to hear, my brother used to play the X series and that just looked way to complicated. How's this compare?

"That's good to hear, my brother used to play the X series and that just looked way to complicated. How's this compare?"

I mean I've only watched a video of X: Reunion but here's the docking procedure for Elite:

1) Request docking
2) Fly into docking area
3) Deploy Landing Gear
4) Land on designated landing pad

Now, you do have to land in the center of the pad, but once you get close enough to the pad the docking computer turns on and gives you a nice little display so you can see where the ship is in relation to the pad.

Mechazawa

The tutorial is nice and all for the basics on handling your ship, but the game does fuck all for preparing you on *what* you can do. I don't know what trading, mining or bounty hunting really entails nor can I parse the galaxy map very well. Could've used maybe one less redundant combat training module and could've used some help on that.

Sevenfold

Not looking good for my Eagles. My freagle blew up when I caught silent running putting my HOTAS to the side to go for a piss while docked. Left the station and was dead within seconds. Second one went after watching the acrobatics in the 19min Youtube vid. I found myself a desrted outpost and started getting my head around FA off. 20 minutes in and feeling good I pushed to far and caught an outpost panel. Boom. I've got a grand left and rebuild costs are 1200 plus. I docked last night to shut down and was genuinely shitting myself. I was shaking lol. that alone makes this game instant top 10 for me. Whenever I log on it's like pulling up at a military base in my car and jumping in a Eurofighter giving it Yeehaa as I have close call after close call.

JambiBum

Not looking good for my Eagles. My freagle blew up when I caught silent running putting my HOTAS to the side to go for a piss while docked. Left the station and was dead within seconds. Second one went after watching the acrobatics in the 19min Youtube vid. I found myself a desrted outpost and started getting my head around FA off. 20 minutes in and feeling good I pushed to far and caught an outpost panel. Boom. I've got a grand left and rebuild costs are 1200 plus. I docked last night to shut down and was genuinely shitting myself. I was shaking lol. that alone makes this game instant top 10 for me. Whenever I log on it's like pulling up at a military base in my car and jumping in a Eurofighter giving it Yeehaa as I have close call after close call.

You can always get a loan if you don't have the credits to rebuy your ship. You lose 10% of your income until it's paid off though.

Was good to chat to a couple of you today. I've docked now in the Hand Ring in Ho Hsi. Will probably be on later.

I've upgraded the FSD, added a cannon and a kill warrant scanner to my Sidewinder. So I'll do some saving now for an Adder I think. Got my first bounty kill as well.

Will stick around Ho Hsi and surrounding systems for a while as there's a good little slave run there.

Are we doing Federation missions now as well as Jett Comms? Or just Jett Comms?

JambiBum

So something I just realized. If you abandon your cargo instead of just jettisoning it then it won't count as stolen if someone else picks it up. Friend and I just tried it out. I purchased some slaves for a mission for him and myself since he is just starting out. Abandoned them outside the station and he picked them up and they didn't count as stolen so he could turn them in. It's a good way to help new players earn some money.

"That's good to hear, my brother used to play the X series and that just looked way to complicated. How's this compare?"

I mean I've only watched a video of X: Reunion but here's the docking procedure for Elite:

1) Request docking
2) Fly into docking area
3) Deploy Landing Gear
4) Land on designated landing pad

Now, you do have to land in the center of the pad, but once you get close enough to the pad the docking computer turns on and gives you a nice little display so you can see where the ship is in relation to the pad.
That doesn't sound too bad but how many different menus is that?

Do you have to go in to the communications menu find the right space station select dock then go back to the cockpit screen and pilot the ship in then go into the landing gear menu and select the option to lower the landing gear then go back to the cockpit to land.

Nymerio

Select station, request docking permission, approach docking area, deploy landing gear and land.

It's really not complicated at all.

charpunk

That doesn't sound too bad but how many different menus is that?

Do you have to go in to the communications menu find the right space station select dock then go back to the cockpit screen and pilot the ship in then go into the landing gear menu and select the option to lower the landing gear then go back to the cockpit to land.

Once you're at the station, all you have to do is go into a menu to request docking. Everything else is done in cockpit view. You fly towards your assigned landing pad, press the key for deploying landing gear, then get close and maneuver the ship.

Once you're at the station, all you have to do is go into a menu to request docking. Everything else is done in cockpit view. You fly towards your assigned landing pad, press the key for deploying landing gear, then get close and maneuver the ship.
Does it automatically select the space station you're targeting? I should probably watch a getting started video if there's one that exists. I've got a feeling I might start to annoy people with the amount of questions I have.

"Does it automatically select the space station you're targeting? I should probably watch a getting started video if there's one that exists. I've got a feeling I might start to annoy people with the amount of questions I have."

There's the official docking tutorial from Frontier. It's a fairly short movie.
Thanks that video just sold me on the game, going to watch a couple of lets play's but I think I'm going to jump in.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I spent some time looking around for trade routes around Ho Hsi for faction-friendly trading, punching prices into a spreadsheet and seeing what popped up.

Ho Hsi: Steiner Hub (Refinery) -> Aeternias: Houtman City (Industry)
The Aeternias system has lots of big, wealthy planets and it's only 5 LY away. Houtman City is very close to the beacon and it's a nice spot to sell most of the metals from Steiner. Uranium's a good starter, with 500 profit per ton for 2350 cost. Beryllium is the best at 876 profit per ton, but for 8544 cost. Gallium, gold and indium are similarly good at the high end if the market dries up.

I just did a simple return trip to Steiner bringing cheap power generators for 173 profit or computer components, domestic appliances or food cartridges for around 100.

I've almost saved up enough for my hauler now.

bj00rn_

Banned
Modding a ship outside of its primary use is a waste of credits.

Edit: Uh, I just saw that I read your post wrong.. So my reply isn't really a perfect fit for a reply to your post.. Oh well.

It might be, yes. But modding my ship is one more enjoyable parts of the game for me. But then I don't really have a strategy in the game or an ambition to be the best in shortest amount of time, I just go where I feel, and I make decent money along the way. ..Enough to install some new goodies at 50-200k quite frequently. Of course the Cobra is a jack of all trades in a way, so I'm able to do all kinds of missions. And now my Cobra Mk. III, to me, feel kind of potent :)

mitchman

Gold Member
You can always get a loan if you don't have the credits to rebuy your ship. You lose 10% of your income until it's paid off though.

The loan is restricted to max 200k, so more than that and you lose it all. Bad game mechanic if you can't afford to pay your insurance for an expensive ship and you're more than 200k low, then you lose it all.

If I have ship in other station (say 30Ly for my current position), is there a way to "jump" to it (store current ship in station)?? Or I must go back all way and change ship on that station??

JINYX

Neo Member
The loan is restricted to max 200k, so more than that and you lose it all. Bad game mechanic if you can't afford to pay your insurance for an expensive ship and you're more than 200k low, then you lose it all.

Not really, it's your own fault if you don't have enough to cover it and blow up your ship. Also that 200k should be enough to cover I think the first 7 or so ships fully. Right now I have a decent cobra and it costs me 50k to rebuy

Are there supposed to be more than 2 or 3 missions on the bulletin board on a given station? I've been seeing a lot of youtube videos with a dozen or more available/unavailable missions, but every station I go to only seems to have a couple, usually unavailable to me or else something that requires me to do something illegal.

I haven't managed to earn a single credit yet, and I can't find any jobs to do! :(

edit: just checked it again and now there are zero missions available at my station. wtf?

moggio

Banned
Are there supposed to be more than 2 or 3 missions on the bulletin board on a given station? I've been seeing a lot of youtube videos with a dozen or more available/unavailable missions, but every station I go to only seems to have a couple, usually unavailable to me or else something that requires me to do something illegal.

I haven't managed to earn a single credit yet, and I can't find any jobs to do! :(

edit: just checked it again and now there are zero missions available at my station. wtf?

You can make money without accepting missions from the bulletin board.

Transport cargo by buying and selling commodities from the commodities market or explore Unidentified Signal Sources or stop off at Nav beacons and scan ships for wanted pilots.

Klyka

Banned

I have noticed a sharp decline in amount of missions lately. Maybe Frontier teting something server side? Not sure.

Also can anyone update me on the Ho Hsi numbers? Please check the system map for accurate numbers. When I last checked Jet was at 49.9% and Ho Hsi Corp and 47.6%

Had an odd experience.

I've been playing since Beta 1.0 and I've been particularly pirating a lot of players since, I'd get wanted status and some bounties pile up in systems and be able to dock at stations in them just fine.

When the game officially released, I continued to do so, had been pirating players in Sol the past weekend netting a large bounty on my head and wanted. Been able to dock at a federation station in the system just fine

I decide to take my practices elsewhere, to an independent system with an allegiance to the Alliance. I killed a player by interdicting them in SC and also attacked another player but didn't murder him/her because they got away. I got a bounty and wanted status just like I do all the time.

I decided to dock in one of the stations and was immediately blown to pieces. I have never been blown to pieces from having a high bounty in the system and becoming a criminal through the act of murder. Like in Sol, I had over 50k bounty on my head from killing players and docked at a federation station just fine. However, I kill one player in an independent Alliance system and just attack another, dock at its station and I'm blown to pieces. Is the Alliance less tolerable than the Federation? I'm not sure what happened, and I've been doing this since Beta 1 (although never in an Alliance system).

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same.

I've started going to Anarchic systems, get a kill scanner and you get loads more bounties, plus if you find one with Slaves for sale check out the bulletin board for the 50k mission to hand in two slaves, bought them from the market, turned in the mission, quick 30k profit, done this a load of times now, also log off in these places as there's a good chance the mission will pop up when you come back later.

What are people thoughts on the best guns? I'm trying out 4x gimballed cannons, seems nice except for the low ammo, really good for power conservation, can still keep a good amount in Sys without running down weapons too much. How do they compare to turreted weapons? Haven't tried one yet.

Helloween

I have noticed a sharp decline in amount of missions lately. Maybe Frontier teting something server side? Not sure.

Also can anyone update me on the Ho Hsi numbers? Please check the system map for accurate numbers. When I last checked Jet was at 49.9% and Ho Hsi Corp and 47.6%

its the same atm

Klyka

Banned
its the same atm

Thanks bro.

Hope it updates in a few hours and we break the 50% :D

Btw for anyone who hasn't noticed, we didn't just get Jet Comm and Ho Hsi Corp to the "Civil war critical" we also managed to give Jet Comms the "Economic Boom" state :D

Helloween

Thanks bro.

Hope it updates in a few hours and we break the 50% :D

Btw for anyone who hasn't noticed, we didn't just get Jet Comm and Ho Hsi Corp to the "Civil war critical" we also managed to give Jet Comms the "Economic Boom" state :D

Get on Skype and join me noob

Marc

It took me 3 attempts, no deaths just jumping in and out, but I just took out my first Anaconda for a mission. Those missions are damn tough. Luckily about half way through the battle 5 Security Service ships jumped in and helped me out, not sure if I could have pulled it off alone, but man that was some of the most intense gaming fun I've had since my first run through Dark Souls.

A solo viper is still a long shot from matching an Anaconda's firepower and I can't find any good Class 2 Lasers besides Pulse.

Yeah, they are bullet sponges basically but they are so slow and their damaging weapons all face forward. Killed a few but takes ages, just sit on their arse and shoot forever. Because it takes so long you kind of lose focus and they get a turn in on you and suddenly you're lit up with no shields. :D

The toughest fight I have had is with an Python, think he was dangerous level and it must have had the best armour on as it would not die for nothing. And it hit so hard, would run away to regain shields then jump back in. I had been targeting his FSD but even though he was down to something like 15% hull, the FSD was still operational and the guy ran away. The git.

What are nav beacons, and where can I read about them/ other game concepts?

They are beacons next to the suns you travel to, it ends up being a gathering place for cops, criminals, traders and what have you all passing through. You'll see it on your system view on the left panel, scroll down until you see NAV and lock on to it.

Here is one of the wiki's already on the game:

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Pilots_Guide

RK9039

I have a mission to kill pirates, are they the ones with cargo scanners? I was flying around with a kill warrant scanner thinking these guys would be wanted, haven't found any yet.

Jedi2016

I have a mission to kill pirates, are they the ones with cargo scanners? I was flying around with a kill warrant scanner thinking these guys would be wanted, haven't found any yet.
If they start shooting at you, they're pirates. That's my experience, anyway.

I've had an issue with a couple interdictions lately, where I'm trying to evade and suddenly the reticle zips off-screen in the blink of an eye, possibly even behind me, making it impossible to find it again. Started happening on my Hauler, I guess, I was always able to evade in my Sidewinder. I also noticed it's impossible to submit to the interdiction once you've started to evade. I tried that last time after I lost the evasion reticle, and it still ripped me spinning out of supercruise, and I had to wait extra-long for everything to cool down before I could run (my Hauler's not even armed, fighting isn't an option).

And apparently I wasn't paying close enough attention to ship prices, that have been jacked up quite a bit since Beta. I thought I knew how much a Cobra was, and I finally found a station that sells them, but turns out I can't afford it after all.

Klyka

Banned

A little guide i wrote:

Hey everyone! This is not really an in depth guide but I have been flying around in the Elite Galaxy for a while now and have learned a lot about the game,including how to properly spot the different "classes" of NPCs flying around that you may need for a kill mission!

So here are my findings that will hopefully help some people:

Pirates: These guys usually have single names like "Slade", "Xander" or "Molerat". They usually fly in more cheap, combat oriented ships like Sidewinders or Eagles. They can also be found in Cobra MK3s or even Anacondas, but that's more rare. When checking their sub-targets you will see them equipped with a cargo scanner which they will use on you as they get close, usually followed by some comms saying stuff like "What goodies you got?" or "Let's see your cargo,fool!". If you check their faction, a lot of the times they will be associated with the more "sinister" faction in the system, often with names like "... Mafia" or "... Cartel" and "...Rats". They are also almost always Wanted, unless you are in an Anarchy system. You find them mainly in Unidentified Signal Sources or Resource Extraction sites. Rarely in Supercruise or Nav Beacons.

Traders: These guys usually have normal names like "Pete Malloy" or "Jonas Warzenegger". They fly in transport ships, so look for Hauler and Type 6/7/9 ships. Their subsystems are usually the maximum amount of cargo space or a majority of it. They usually belong to a normal faction or a more corporate faction with "... Corp" or "...Limited" in the name. At Nav Beacons you will often see them flying in a straight line in one direction until they hyperjump out. They are never Wanted. You find them mostly in Nav Beacons or in Supercruise on their way to a station.

Bounty Hunters: Normal names on these guys, sometimes a nickname like "The Eradicator". They fly Eagles and Vipers, I have also seen an Adder but only a few times. Rare hunters can be seen in a Federal Dropship. When checking their sub-targets they will have kill warrant scanners equipped. They usually belong to either no faction or to one of the lawful ones, typically the one in control of the system. You find them mainly at Nav Beacons where they will usually fly around and once they spot a wanted target will engage in combat with it. They always start Clean but can sometimes turn Wanted when they hit a wrong target in combat.

Smugglers: (Added by CMDR void* ) They fly Haulers or Adder, rarely Type-6 or Asp, are often wanted and carry some illegal stuff most of the time. I never really keep an eye on the factions but I would assume they are similar to pirates in that regard.

Miners: Normal names, usually in Sidewinders, sometimes Hauler or even a Cobra MK3. They have Mining Lasers and Refineries equipped and can be found at Belt Clusters or Resource Extraction Sites.

Extra Info:

Civilians are every ship that is not part of a military/authority/pirate group.

Authority are the security ships that patrol the system/respond to crimes.

Military are the ships that belong to the Navy of the faction in the system, they are called "Navy" in the name too.

There are also "Psychos" who will interdict you and immediately start attacking without scanning your cargo. They are NOT Pirates!

I hope this helps people find their targets!

Safe Flight Commanders!

Wreav

Banned
Anyone know the closest black market to the Ho Hsi system?

This is of interest to me as well...Ho Hsi is currently unreachable to me, so if I'm going to make the effort to get there, I need assurances my less than legal lifestyle won't be affected.

Calabi

So probably stupid questions but, is this game good, does it have lots of ships and things to do, and does it work with a controller?

Wreav

Banned
So probably stupid questions but, is this game good, does it have lots of ships and things to do, and does it work with a controller?

42fu.gif

or at least the OP. Answers to every single question are in the OP.

Atruvius

Playe around 10 hours or so and I'm liking it more and more. I've only used my dualshock 3 controller and it works just fine. I think the could do with a few more ship if the ships in the OT are the only there are but there lots customizable parts there so it's ok.

I rarely buy games at launch these and I'm glad I bought the game. It's worth the price.

So are most of gaffers at Ho Hsi? What's so special about the place?

Klyka

Banned
This is of interest to me as well...Ho Hsi is currently unreachable to me, so if I'm going to make the effort to get there, I need assurances my less than legal lifestyle won't be affected.

There are multiple systems with Black markets around.

There is definitely one in the Mantze system at Da Sousa Ring station.

So are most of gaffers at Ho Hsi? What's so special about the place?

I came across that system at the start of the game and saw that Jet Comms Limited was only 5% away from the system owner, Ho Hsi Corp in influence.
So I took inspiration from the guy who called on people to take over the Lugh system and I made the call for Ho hsi, inviting Cmdrs to fight for Jet Comms and the Federation to take the system. People have followed the call (the system went from 200ships in 24hours to 1300+) and we are well on our way to start off a civil war (the first to be started by players to my knowledge).

Whelan

Banned
I've now got three pulse lasers on my Eagle and it seems they now refuse to fire. Have i done something which is obviously wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom