• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj00rn_

Banned
So probably stupid questions but, is this game good, does it have lots of ships and things to do, and does it work with a controller?

How fun is Elite Dangerous:

With a Mouse and a Keyboard: Mostly good
With a Controller: 125% good
With a Joystick/HOTAS: 201% good
With a Joystick and TrackIR (or other): 337% good
With a Joystick and an Oculus Rift DK2: 7945% good

JambiBum

So I managed to set up a VA command that makes my trade route automated :D. All I have to do is turn my ship in the right direction every now and then.

How fun is Elite Dangerous:

With a Mouse and a Keyboard: Mostly good
With a Controller: 125% good
With a Joystick/HOTAS: 201% good
With a Joystick and TrackIR (or other): 337% good
With a Joystick and an Oculus Rift DK2: 7945% good
To add to this, I'm surprised people can play this game without a DK2. Like, I tried playing without it for a bit and... I just... I just cant.

Welp, I guess I should really set up my DK2 again then. Haven't tried it out with Elite yet.
You've been making a grave mistake, my friend, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Just make sure you try to place your real life joystick as close to the in game joystick as you can. And then watch in amusement as moving your hand moves the joystick in the game.
Watch in awe as your ship rotates and slides around on the landing pad.
Sit in amazement as that star or planet just keeps getting bigger, even though it looks like it couldn't possibly get any bigger.
Never lose sight of a ship again in combat as you reel your head around behind you to keep your eyes on the guy.

Playing on a monitor after all that just feels incredibly claustrophobic.

Whelan

Banned
Turrets fire automatically at the target you have selected. They are not fired by pressing a button. They are also much weaker damage wise and take way more power than fixed/gimballed.

ah. What a bad move that was then! Thanks for explaining dude

Marc

Yep, I don't think I can go back to gaming a space sim without a rift, it is more essential to me in my mind than a joystick.

Can't wait until the consumer version now.

Are you hunting at a nav beacon? You are probably killing ships that are not previously wanted but have accidentally hit another ship and gotten a 200 or 400 bounty.

Bounty hunting was definitely NOT nerfed, my buddy HElloween made like 500k+ today

Yeah, NAV beacon and these are guys that have just dropped out of hyperspace.

Was finally making great money but last session was nothing but empty pockets, will see if it is still happening in the next session. Just found it weird that it would drop off like that so much.

Yep, I don't think I can go back to gaming a space sim without a rift, it is more essential to me in my mind than a joystick.

Can't wait until the consumer version now.

Yeah, NAV beacon and these are guys that have just dropped out of hyperspace.

Was finally making great money but last session was nothing but empty pockets, will see if it is still happening in the next session. Just found it weird that it would drop off like that so much.

I mean, it makes sense that it's random. I was having some crazy luck at Balatu (before I got destroyed :-|) and another gaffer and I went out and didn't find much, though there were a few 15k bounties.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmm, did a bounty, got the voucher notification but the entry that shows which jurisdiction to hand it in at is nowhere to be found. :/

Got a Cobra, any ideas for a good weapons loadout? I got 2 pulse lasers on the upper hardpoints and 2 cannons on the lower, wider placed ones, both fixed. The lower hardpoints are really wide apart and hitting anything precisely with them isn't really working out. Would gimbaled lasers or multi-cannons work better (never used gimbaled weapons before)?

I'm still getting used to the Cobra, it's huge and the maneuverability is different from the Eagle for sure, feels more sluggish and drifts longer.

I feel like I have to relearn everything after not having played since the early beta. Was kind of hoping my credits would still be there too. Am I supposed to have an Eagle stored somewhere in addition to the Sidewinder?

avelle

Neo Member
Yesterday I was running to a system to pick up non-lethal weapons for a mission and ended up landing on a star so hot it nearly burnt my ass up before I could get away. Trying to engage hyperdrive appeared to be a bad decision, what is the best way to get away in that situation without taking damage? Boost away first?

JINYX

Neo Member
Got a Cobra, any ideas for a good weapons loadout? I got 2 pulse lasers on the upper hardpoints and 2 cannons on the lower, wider placed ones, both fixed. The lower hardpoints are really wide apart and hitting anything precisely with them isn't really working out. Would gimbaled lasers or multi-cannons work better (never used gimbaled weapons before)?

I personally love my gimballed multi-cannons. They rip through pretty much anything very quick. I use them on the medium hardpoints then have missile racks on the smaller ones. I've thought about 4 multi-cannons instead but I like the missiles in case I need to take someone down really quick.

Don't know if this is best setup or what not but I like it.

Starviper

So I'm wondering if I should head out and pick up my eagle, and start using that. Is using the eagle wise?

I really, REALLY like the eagle. I've been upgrading it a bunch and can take on Cobra's and Anaconda's without too much trouble. The upgraded thrusters I found really help, seems I can evade most cannons by using my thrusters.

To those playing with a keyboard:

Changing around the default controls helps a ton. I've been doing really great with the following:

WASD for the various thrusters
Q/E for rolling
Pitch/Yaw set to mouse movement
Thrust forward/backward set to mouse wheel scroll with 10% increment.
0% speed set to mouse wheel click.

Its great for dogfighting, after some upgrades.
I wasted a ton of credits and time expanding the cargo bay and upgrading the fsd thinking I could take on a wide range of missions. You can't.

I can't get rid of the bay for some reason, but poured more creds into a minigun cannon thing, a top class power distributor (ESSENTIAL!), power plant, warrant scanner, and its now a top class bounty hunter ship. Which is a great way to earn creds to get a long range hauler.

The Freeagle is manuverable enough to stay on the ass of anyone if you alternate flight assist mode on and off for ridiculously tight turns.
I popped into a USS to find 3 pirates picking on a helpless hauler, I was like "oh hai guys!" and splashed all 3 without picking up a scratch.
Easy money. (with a hotas)
Hrm. Sounds awesome. But if I get it blown up, what's the cost of replacing it? I'd hate to just lose a whole bunch of money. I guess really I should just look into this haha.

EDIT: Its only 5%? Damn guess I shouldn't be worried hahaha. I'll just scrounge up the money to cover the upgrades and the potential insurance and switch to it. Is there an easy way to see what the total value of your ship and upgrades is?

I've snuffed it a few times (twice trying to do a flash exit out of a dock at full speed!), full rebuy has only been a few grand, its still a starter ship.
Deaths are never crippling in Elite, and usually your own fault.
Yeah looking at it keeping 10 grand or so should be enough to keep it without worries. Nice to know though.

Crispy75

I have nowhere near the free time to actually play this game (sadness)
But I have been enjoying it vicariously via this thread and Isinona's videos. Are there any other good Elite youtubers worth watching? Smart and skillful players who don't shot into the mic prefered :)

I do not understand how the shortcut to switch off the flight assist works. Is there a toggle ? Because when i press my shortcut key it puts it off just on the pressing and then the assist is back again immediatly.

sfried

Have the effectiveness of Burst Lasers been fixed in the final release? I recall quite a few players telling my gimballed burst lasers were pretty ineffective, and that you were better off with the regular Pulse Lasers in terms of damage.

Your only wanted in that system.
The local cops are pissed that you shot a few holes in their ride after all.

Skip town and pay off your fine in another system.

Yeah, I knew how to deal with it, it's happened before. I just found the circumstances to be annoying more than anything.

I personally love my gimballed multi-cannons. They rip through pretty much anything very quick. I use them on the medium hardpoints then have missile racks on the smaller ones. I've thought about 4 multi-cannons instead but I like the missiles in case I need to take someone down really quick.

Don't know if this is best setup or what not but I like it.

Thanks, I'll give them a shot.

So I was bounty hunting at a nav point, got about 70k of bounties, I see an elite Eagle and decided to kill him. He mowed me down, burst my canopy, I managed to supercruise out of there but got interdicted three times, died in the cold open space, even have a small loan now. This game can be so damn frustrating sometimes.

Serrato

Yeah! I am now a Cadet of the Federation.

Is there a list for the hierarchy rank?

And also, a list of what to do to get the higher ''Status'' ranks (Harmless +++)?

AJLma

Have the effectiveness of Burst Lasers been fixed in the final release? I recall quite a few players telling my gimballed burst lasers were pretty ineffective, and that you were better off with the regular Pulse Lasers in terms of damage.

No way. In my experience Burst lasers are far better.

Gimballed is always going to be weaker, so fixed Pulse may be > Gimballed Burst, but even then from my use I think they're about equal in damage output.

Thanks, I'll give them a shot.

So I was bounty hunting at a nav point, got about 70k of bounties, I see an elite Eagle and decided to kill him. He mowed me down, burst my canopy, I managed to supercruise out of there but got interdicted three times, died in the cold open space, even have a small loan now. This game can be so damn frustrating sometimes.
Gotdamn hahaha.

Wait you can take a loan on your insurance? Is that right?

Been away for a fair few days so haven't been on this. Think I'll try head to Ho Hsi or whatever it's called where Klyka and the gang are at. I'm just aimlessly travelling around at the moment. I need purpose!

Gotdamn hahaha.

Yea, you can go into debt and the creditors will then take 10% of everything you get until the loan is payed off. I'm not sure how much debt you are allowed to have though.

What's the fastest way to gain faction rep? Feel like I've done a ton for Jet Comm and am still neutral.

Look for a mission offfered that increases your rank, there will be no payment, it will appear as the hand with a + over it and say rank progression or something

Wow, that must have been a hell of a fight, wish I could have seen that.
Elites aren't elite for nothing.

It was embarrassing is what it was. :) I highly underestimated the elite status.

Gotdamn hahaha.

If you don't have enough cash to buy out your ship, you automatically get an insurance loan. It says that it's payed off of 10% of your income, not sure if you can just clear the loan any time you want if you have enough cash. Also, the loan limit is 200k I think.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well I bought myself an Adder and have been flying around all morning trading, even bought a few upgrades for it already. I love the ship, except for the visibility out of the seat. Man, going from an Eagle to the Adder really makes you miss looking at space, lol. Plus, half of the time in the Adder I either have to spin myself around to see what's around me or just turn and pray for the best.

My ultimate goal is an Asp. I've found that I love exploring, trading, and combat, in that order, and the Asp is supposed to be decent (but not great) at all of them. My path to my goal will be:

Sidewinder -> Freagle -> Adder -> Cobra -> Asp

I may get a Lakon to trade hardcore in between the Cobra and Asp if I find the credit accumulation is going too slow. Long road to travel...

Nymerio

Managed to get 68k credits saved up. I'll probably treat myself to an Eagle. Just so I get this right: If I buy a new ship and manage to get killed, is the ship completely gone? I'll just start again with a sidewinder?

This game is amazing, the headtracking does so much. I'm using facetracknoir at the moment but I've ordered a EDtracker kit. Hope it comes soon.

Jedi2016

My ultimate goal is an Asp. I've found that I love exploring, trading, and combat, in that order, and the Asp is supposed to be decent (but not great) at all of them. My path to my goal will be:

Sidewinder -> Freagle -> Adder -> Cobra -> Asp

I may get a Lakon to trade hardcore in between the Cobra and Asp if I find the credit accumulation is going too slow. Long road to travel...
I probably won't be sticking to one ship, but rather have ones that are better for specific roles. Asp for exploring, Type-9 for trading, and an Anaconda to fuck shit up. Today I finally got my Cobra, don't know if I'll ever sell that one. Sort of the quintessential ship for this series.

JambiBum

Managed to get 68k credits saved up. I'll probably treat myself to an Eagle. Just so I get this right: If I buy a new ship and manage to get killed, is the ship completely gone? I'll just start again with a sidewinder?

This game is amazing, the headtracking does so much. I'm using facetracknoir at the moment but I've ordered a EDtracker kit. Hope it comes soon.

No if you buy a new ship and die you have to pay the cost of insurance. If you don't have the funds you can take out a loan of up to 200k

Don't forget to set the GUI to green and (if your GPU is good enough) downsample.
Is there a way to keep those settings even after it updates itself? Everytime they do an update, my file (copy of graphicssettings.xml is gone :D Made a shortcut from desktop to the folder now.

Arrived at Ho Hsi now as well and killed some wanted guys at the nav beacon. Need to check back later on how I could help the most. Wasn't able to do any missions in Steiner Hub :(

Added myself to the player list in the OP as well but did not add anybody so far cause it's so annoying in the rift with all the text and not seeing the keyboard. Need to switch to normal mode once to do all this ;)

btw: is there a limit on how many ships you can have at the same time?

CzarTim

Hey guys, yesterday I docked and then put my ship in the hanger. I then alt-tabbed to read the wiki for a few minutes, and when I came back my ship had been destroyed. Any idea how this happened? I was under the impression that being in the hanger meant I was safe. Also I had no warrants or anything.

I cant stop playing this. I think im addicted :/

I went to Ho Hsi and did my part, doing a few errands for Jet Corp. Then jsut flew around investigatign USSes for a bit. Made over 160K today :D Ma, one piece of advice ill give anyone buying a hauler tho, dont ever bother getting into a fight. Just run the fuck away. Unless youre really lucky and just watch other people fighting, then get in a few shots at the end and pick up a nice 16K bounty for doing absolutely nothing, lik i did earleir lol. Bt real talk this thing is a space bus. Trying to fight anyone is hilariously shit in it

wsippel

Banned
I cant stop playing this. I think im addicted :/

I went to Ho Hsi and did my part, doing a few errands for Jet Corp. Then jsut flew around investigatign USSes for a bit. Made over 160K today :D Ma, one piece of advice ill give anyone buying a hauler tho, dont ever bother getting into a fight. Just run the fuck away. Unless youre really lucky and just watch other people fighting, then get in a few shots at the end and pick up a nice 16K bounty for doing absolutely nothing, lik i did earleir lol. Bt real talk this thing is a space bus. Trying to fight anyone is hilariously shit in it
That is very sound advice. I got interdicted on my way from 3447 to Ho Hsi, got fucked up pretty badly, managed to escape with maybe 30% hull integrity, jumped to a system and exited hyperspace so close to the star that my stupid flight computer immediately disengaged supercruise, leaving me right next to a huge ass ball of plasma frying my ship while I was waiting for my FSD to cool down and start up again. I arrived at Alexeyev with exactly 1% hull. Just to find out that Alexeyev has no repair facilities. That was fun.

Jedi2016

Hell, I took the gun off my Hauler to free up some mass for longer jumps. One dinky little pulse laser doesn't do much good anyway.

Pand

Bought this along with a Thrustmaster T-16000m yesterday, and I'm addicted. It's the first space sim I've ever played but I think I'm getting used to it. I've been playing singleplayer so far, but when I make my way to Ho Hsi I'll join the online world.

How often do you guys get attacked when you're online? I'm scared :(

Helloween

Bought this along with a Thrustmaster T-16000m yesterday, and I'm addicted. It's the first space sim I've ever played but I think I'm getting used to it. I've been playing singleplayer so far, but when I make my way to Ho Hsi I'll join the online world.

How often do you guys get attacked when you're online? I'm scared :(

I've had one guy gun for me in my 20+ hours online. so pretty rare

wsippel

Banned
Hell, I took the gun off my Hauler to free up some mass for longer jumps. One dinky little pulse laser doesn't do much good anyway.
So did I. It's ridiculous how far superior the Cobra is in absolutely every way. Just as maneuverable, way faster, much more durable, actually quite capable of kicking ass, and it can carry way more cargo. The only real downside is fuel consumption, but fuel is dirt cheap anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom