• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atruvius

I've now got three pulse lasers on my Eagle and it seems they now refuse to fire. Have i done something which is obviously wrong?
Are you sure you have enough power? I had to buy a more powerful plant or my Eagle would just power out with three guns.

I came across that system at the start of the game and saw that Jet Comms Limited was only 5% away from the system owner, Ho Hsi Corp in influence.
So I took inspiration from the guy who called on people to take over the Lugh system and I made the call for Ho hsi, inviting Cmdrs to fight for Jet Comms and the Federation to take the system. People have followed the call (the system went from 200ships in 24hours to 1300+) and we are well on our way to start off a civil war (the first to be started by players to my knowledge).

I'll come join you guys at Ho Hsi then! :D

Sephon

So I took inspiration from the guy who called on people to take over the Lugh system and I made the call for Ho hsi, inviting Cmdrs to fight for Jet Comms and the Federation to take the system. People have followed the call (the system went from 200ships in 24hours to 1300+) and we are well on our way to start off a civil war (the first to be started by players to my knowledge).

So I got lured over to Ho Hsi by Pangur and I'm curious how this mechanic work. Do I simply just make sure to only do mission for Jet Comms and avoid blowing up any wanted with alliegience to Jet Comms, or is there more to it?
For example, if I buy items from the Ho Hsi faction, does that affect the powerstruggle against Jet Comms?

Klyka

Banned
So I got lured over to Ho Hsi by Pangur and I'm curious how this mechanic work. Do I simply just make sure to only do mission for Jet Comms and avoid blowing up any wanted with alliegience to Jet Comms, or is there more to it?
For example, if I buy items from the Ho Hsi faction, does that affect the powerstruggle against Jet Comms?

Do not do ANY trade at Hand Ring Station owned by Ho Hsi Corp. They are the enemy.

Trade at/between Steiner Hub and Alexyev Enterprise.

Go to the surrounding Federation systems and hunt bounties. They'll be Federation bounties which you should turn in at Steiner hub/Alex Enterprises.

Do missions but only do the ones being issued by Jet Comms Limited.

Try not to hunt/hurt Jet Comms Limited ships.

If you want to go full crazy (like some of us did, check the bounty list in Ho Hsi) you can kill any system authority vessels and vessels that do not belong to Jet Comm. Everyone you destroy takes a bit of influence away from them (and gives you mad bounty on your head!)

Is there any "legal" way to pick up dropped cargo? I mean, if the guy is dead, it seems like a waste to just leave his shit floating through space, but I'm tired of everything being marked as stolen and racking up fees.

Especially slaves. Surely I can spare their lives!?

Klyka

Banned
Is there any "legal" way to pick up dropped cargo? I mean, if the guy is dead, it seems like a waste to just leave his shit floating through space, but I'm tired of everything being marked as stolen and racking up fees.

Especially slaves. Surely I can spare their lives!?

The only way to pick up cargo legally is if the player who dropped it (only player) has to select "Jettison (Abandon)". This is used for player trading.

I really want to get into this game but I don't want to start it up until I get a Hotas. The issue being nowhere in the UK seems to have any of the reasonably priced ones left. Would anybody have a clue where I could get one from?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I really want to get into this game but I don't want to start it up until I get a Hotas. The issue being nowhere in the UK seems to have any of the reasonably priced ones left. Would anybody have a clue where I could get one from?

I imported my X52 from Amazon.com, took a week to deliver with standard shipping, cheaper incl customs than buying locally in the UK. :)

Klyka

Banned
That's just lame that it's limited to when players drop it.

I can give you the ingame RP like explanation if you want?

Basically when you buy cargo it is put into the standard sized cargo canisters. Those canisters and the cargo within are then registered to your ship and your ship only. If they leave the ship without specifically deleting the registration they will still be marked to your ship no matter where they are. This means if another ship picks them up and wants to sell them to a trader, the trader will see the difference registration and refuse a deal.
Hence, the black market comes in,where fences buy the canisters, break the registration and sell on the cargo. This is the reason why black market sells less too,cause they have the cost of breaking the registration and it's encryption and find a buyer, etc...

I'm also having no problems playing on controller, but would still like to try a flightstick. It actually controls nicely and once I familiarized myself with the different terminology things started to make more sense. I'm still having issues disengaging supercruise too early and having to wait for cooldown and recharge to hit my destination. I assume the little bars on the left with the blue indicate the range one disengages with? Hence the safe to disengage message that pops up.

I can give you the ingame RP like explanation if you want?

Basically when you buy cargo it is put into the standard sized cargo canisters. Those canisters and the cargo within are then registered to your ship and your ship only. If they leave the ship without specifically deleting the registration they will still be marked to your ship no matter where they are. This means if another ship picks them up and wants to sell them to a trader, the trader will see the difference registration and refuse a deal.
Hence, the black market comes in,where fences buy the canisters, break the registration and sell on the cargo. This is the reason why black market sells less too,cause they have the cost of breaking the registration and it's encryption and find a buyer, etc...

Oh nah I get it, it just sucks that I have to watch all this cargo float off into space, instead of doing something with it, because invariably the feds will immediately scan me and slap a fine on my face.

Klyka

Banned
Oh nah I get it, it just sucks that I have to watch all this cargo float off into space, instead of doing something with it, because invariably the feds will immediately scan me and slap a fine on my face.

pick it up, go to nearest anarchy system and sell it. anarchy systems have no police forces.
alternatively, sell it at outposts with black markets. Outposts barely ever have a police ship around. I think I saw it once.

owlbeak

Question - I have accrued 80k and am curious what to spend it on. I've bought upgrades for my Sidewinder (FSD, power plant, weapons, odds & ends), but wonder if I should buy a Hauler or keep saving for a Cobra Mk II or Viper.

Also wondered if I should get into mining. Not sure how profitable it is.

Hasn't been an issue for me. Pick up that illegal cargo, go to a station with a black market, request docking and then gun it into the bay before the security scan finishes. I haven't been caught....yet. :) And I just made 24,000CR when a wanted ship dropped 4 Battle Weapons.

JambiBum

Question - I have accrued 80k and am curious what to spend it on. I've bought upgrades for my Sidewinder (FSD, power plant, weapons, odds & ends), but wonder if I should buy a Hauler or keep saving for a Cobra Mk II or Viper.

Also wondered if I should get into mining. Not sure how profitable it is.

Hasn't been an issue for me. Pick up that illegal cargo, go to a station with a black market, request docking and then gun it into the bay before the security scan finishes. I haven't been caught....yet. :)

Mining will be profitable no matter what because besides the initial mining laser + refinery entry cost you don't have to pay for any cargo so everything you get is pure profit. But, you have to find the right resources to mine in order to make the time it takes worth while. This is done by finding a resource site with metals (look at the system maps) and then blindly testing asteroids until you find one with the right combination.

Just remembered I had some ShopYourWay points to redeem so I bought my Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X from Sears - should get it Monday the 29th. Only cost me shipping. I'm pretty damn excited for this.

Might be supply and demand due to christmas. Wait until after and you might have some luck then.

So, I'm sat around 130k atm. Been doing some trading in a hauler until I manage to get a hold of a HOTAS at which point I'm probably going to start doing some Bounty Hunting with a friend. However, I was planning on getting a Viper but after looking at the wikia page, there's a comment saying that it was nerfed to hell. Is it worth picking a Viper up? Is it worth the cost? Cobra's a little too pricey for me at the moment and I didn't really want to buy an Eagle.

So, yeah, opinions on the Viper?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there some story event happening in Ho Hsi? Why was that picked?

I'm flying around in there, and there are TONS of NPC ships going between the three stations in a line. I haven't seen this kind of behavior in any other system.

On that note, there really needs to be a "codex" site for this game, that has all the background information on the galaxy as well as something archiving the current news that you can catch up on.

Reese-015

Man I would LOVE some sorta iOS/Android companion app... Imagine one that would have all the tutorial/info type stuff in there but can also function to bring up your ship's UI's and such.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah. Went from two cheaper ones with a cannon to just three Pulse lasers

Turrets fire automatically at the target you have selected. They are not fired by pressing a button. They are also much weaker damage wise and take way more power than fixed/gimballed.

Klyka

Banned
Is there some story event happening in Ho Hsi? Why was that picked?

I'm flying around in there, and there are TONS of NPC ships going between the three stations in a line. I haven't seen this kind of behavior in any other system.

On that note, there really needs to be a "codex" site for this game, that has all the background information on the galaxy as well as something archiving the current news that you can catch up on.

I came across that system at the start of the game and saw that Jet Comms Limited was only 5% away from the system owner, Ho Hsi Corp in influence.

The NPC ships have started to spawn cause we made an Economic Boom at Jet Comms happen :D

JambiBum

Man I would LOVE some sorta iOS/Android companion app... Imagine one that would have all the tutorial/info type stuff in there but can also function to bring up your ship's UI's and such.
There is an iOS app actually. Just search elite dangerous on the app store. It's free too. It's not out for android yet though.

Marc

Has Bounty Hunting been nerfed for anyone else?

Was making a good amount of cash but now getting loads of 100-250 Cr 'rewards', this is for killing Elite Vipers and competent Anaconda's. Takes ages to kill them, and take a fair amount of damage so the reward doesn't even cover the repair costs. Not even getting half the amount I was getting previously.

Wreav

Banned
There is an iOS app actually. Just search elite dangerous on the app store. It's free too. It's not out for android yet though.

But it doesn't do any of those things. The most helpful thing it does is show you the commodities at your current dock, but that's extremely pointless.

Klyka

Banned
Has Bounty Hunting been nerfed for anyone else?

Was making a good amount of cash but now getting loads of 100-250 Cr 'rewards', this is for killing Elite Vipers and competent Anaconda's. Takes ages to kill them, and take a fair amount of damage so the reward doesn't even cover the repair costs. Not even getting half the amount I was getting previously.

Are you hunting at a nav beacon? You are probably killing ships that are not previously wanted but have accidentally hit another ship and gotten a 200 or 400 bounty.

Bounty hunting was definitely NOT nerfed, my buddy HElloween made like 500k+ today

Bounty Hunting in Balatu: An Erotic Novella

EDIT: Definitely don't think it's nerfed. I'm at Balatu nav point and earned 60k in bounties in the last 10 mins, no joke. Also hunting for Jet Comm for a guy with a 160k bounty, just have to check three systems :-\

Key to knowing whether or not you're wasting your time is, after scanning and verified Wanted status, check your Contacts panel and find out how much the bounty is.

JambiBum

But it doesn't do any of those things. The most helpful thing it does is show you the commodities at your current dock, but that's extremely pointless.

Ah ok. I don't have iOS so I've never actually used it. Shame that it doesn't tell you more info.

Let's say I wanted to get into bounty hunting. What's the minimum spec I should have, assuming I've done the combat training and very little else? Are there bounties (or kill missions) a Sidewinder could take on? An Eagle? Or do I have to save up to maybe an Adder or a Cobra first? Trying to get a sense of how difficult it is--the only fight I've been in was an interdiction and I lost half my Sidewinder's hull before I could flee. Most guides I've seen suggest avoiding combat "for now" but don't specify when a good time to dip a toe in is.

In other news, I think I finally have enough for a Hauler! I've just started to notice how many more trading missions open up if you can just get the cargo space. This game's really scratching an itch I haven't really had since Eve, except that Elite seems to have less in the way of two-seconds-you're-dead piracy (no gatecamping! yay!) and is a much more intimate experience, what with the having to approach and dock at stations manually.

Wreav

Banned
Dropped 55k on a new FSD for my Adder that gets me 11.5ly range. I'm coming.

93QTnPu.jpg

There's a lot of impressive EVE Online tools out there, that I would love to see come to this game. Especially stuff regarding trading/commodities/market transactions. I'm still learning the systems and how it's all tied together but having an idea of how things are being traded and where would be extremely useful. It sounds like it isn't all that accurate yet though?

Ugh, and of course, I earn all those bounties and some fucking stupid security vessel crosses in front of my shots. My first death!

Edit: for real though, Balatu nav beacon is where I earned $160k in bounties, and I had just earned about $100k in 30 mins before I got killed. Lots of wanted Anacondas.

Let's say I wanted to get into bounty hunting. What's the minimum spec I should have, assuming I've done the combat training and very little else? Are there bounties (or kill missions) a Sidewinder could take on? An Eagle? Or do I have to save up to maybe an Adder or a Cobra first? Trying to get a sense of how difficult it is--the only fight I've been in was an interdiction and I lost half my Sidewinder's hull before I could flee. Most guides I've seen suggest avoiding combat "for now" but don't specify when a good time to dip a toe in is.

In other news, I think I finally have enough for a Hauler! I've just started to notice how many more trading missions open up if you can just get the cargo space. This game's really scratching an itch I haven't really had since Eve, except that Elite seems to have less in the way of two-seconds-you're-dead piracy (no gatecamping! yay!) and is a much more intimate experience, what with the having to approach and dock at stations manually.

As for doing dog fighting, its about all I've done in the game period. All you really need to do is hit a popular location (like Nav Points) and scan whoever goes by -- if you get a Wanted status on them, look at their rating (from harmless to dangerous or higher) and if it seems like a good go, light em up! Just don't pick a fight with an Anaconda or similar and you should be able to win. Stick to lower ships like Sidewinders or Eagles until you've got it down.

Posting on the new page since I didn't get a response :[

Can nearly afford a Viper, what are peoples opinions on it? I heard it had a nerf at some point. Is it still worthwhile?

Klyka

Banned
Posting on the new page since I didn't get a response :[

Can nearly afford a Viper, what are peoples opinions on it? I heard it had a nerf at some point. Is it still worthwhile?

Amazing combat ship, helloween and me have been blasting Anacondas to bits with it.

Amazing combat ship, helloween and me have been blasting Anacondas to bits with it.

How does it compare with the Cobra? Tried doing some research but I only found answers from the beta periods. Some say the Cobra is better in every respect even though it's not a pure combat ship. I've taken that with a pinch of salt though because I know how some people love to jump on a "Flavour of the month" train after somethings hit with the smallest of nerfs.

AJLma

I'd say minimum is a Sidewinder with Dual Burst Lasers and a Power Distributer upgrade. That's a cheap setup that will let you hunt Sidewinders, Eagles, Adders and small cargo ships. I wouldn't count on Cobra/Viper kills with that setup until you can afford at least one Rail Gun, they run away too often before you can get the kill.

I'd really recommend an Eagle, Dual Lasers + Kinetic weapon of your choice will let you hunt the larger ships up to a Cobra. My favorite setup so far, even after piloting a Viper, is an Eagle with Dual Fixed Beam Lasers and a Gimballed Cannon. Perfect for Cobra/Viper hunting.

I piloted an Adder for a while and ditched it immediately. The limited FOV and odd hardpoint placement make it a poor bounty hunting ship for someone just starting out. You'll need a bit of cash for upgrades and some creative weapon choices to make it work. I'll probably give it another try since it's about as maneuverable as a Sidewinder + the medium hardpoint do make it a very tempting ship.

Klyka

Banned
How does it compare with the Cobra? Tried doing some research but I only found answers from the beta periods. Some say the Cobra is better in every respect even though it's not a pure combat ship. I've taken that with a pinch of salt though because I know how some people love to jump on a "Flavour of the month" train after somethings hit with the smallest of nerfs.

The Cobra has way slower speed apart from having the same boost, it has the same maneuverability, has less shields but more armor. It has the same hardpoints (2 medium and 2 small) but it is also 3 times the mass of a viper and is HUGE compared to it.

The Viper having more shields and speed is what speaks to me cause it means it takes longer to get my shields down and I can easily outrun any other ship to recharge my shield. Even a Cobra can't keep up forever because every time it loses the boost speed, my normal speed is higher.

I don't know why people have such a hardon for the Cobra as a combat ship,I would never trade my Viper in for it. I think it's all because people want to do massive hauling cause trading makes them money and they can grind with it and that's all people care about cause they think there is some "endgame" or something and they need an Anaconda for it.

Wreav

Banned
Ugh, and of course, I earn all those bounties and some fucking stupid security vessel crosses in front of my shots. My first death!

Edit: for real though, Balatu nav beacon is where I earned $160k in bounties, and I had just earned about $100k in 30 mins before I got killed. Lots of wanted Anacondas.

Is there anything special about Balatu? Looks like the nearest station is over 2k away which suuuuucks when turning in bounties frequently.

The Cobra has way slower speed apart from having the same boost, it has the same maneuverability, has less shields but more armor. It has the same hardpoints (2 medium and 2 small) but it is also 3 times the mass of a viper and is HUGE compared to it.

The Viper having more shields and speed is what speaks to me cause it means it takes longer to get my shields down and I can easily outrun any other ship to recharge my shield. Even a Cobra can't keep up forever because every time it loses the boost speed, my normal speed is higher.

I don't know why people have such a hardon for the Cobra as a combat ship,I would never trade my Viper in for it. I think it's all because people want to do massive hauling cause trading makes them money and they can grind with it and that's all people care about cause they think there is some "endgame" or something and they need an Anaconda for it.

Well, you've sold me on the Viper. Will pick one up as soon as I make some buffer funds so I don't blow my wallet all at once. What sort of loadouts would you recommend? I haven't looked at many combat modules as of yet. I don't really know the differences between weapons, beyond guessing that lasers hurt shields more and bullets hurt armour more or something like that.

Klyka

Banned
Well, you've sold me on the Viper. Will pick one up as soon as I make some buffer funds so I don't blow my wallet all at once. What sort of loadouts would you recommend? I haven't looked at many combat modules as of yet. I don't really know the differences between weapons, beyond guessing that lasers hurt shields more and bullets hurt armour more or something like that.

Thermic weapons are indeed better against shields and kinetic against hulls.

I use 2 fixed class 1 burst lasers and 2 gimballed class 2 multicannons.
Tears through pretty much everything.

I used to run 1 class 1 railgun too cause they have the best armor penetration and are perfect to snipe power plants on big ships with,but their ammo prices were just to high for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom