• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
I think we done fucked up. Any bounties earned in Ho Hsi have to be turned in at the Ho Hsi system station or any other Independent station, I think. If we earn Federation bounties at a Federal system, we can turn them in at any Federal station (like Steiner or Alex).

Is that right?

Hunt Ho Hsi ships and get wanted in that system if you want to directly attack them and take away influence. It's what us crazies have been doing.

Also hunting wanted targets not from Jet Comms will take influence away from the other factions but will give you bounties you can only hand in with ho hsi corp, which you should avoid.

So yeah, go to any of the fed systems nearby, get your bounties there and then turn them in at steiner hub.

owlbeak

I think we done fucked up. Any bounties earned in Ho Hsi have to be turned in at the Ho Hsi system station or any other Independent station, I think. If we earn Federation bounties at a Federal system, we can turn them in at any Federal station (like Steiner or Alex).

Is that right?
I think that's correct. Any station I can buy Personal Weapons from?

Klyka

Banned
Anyone know details about mining? I've got a Hauler set up to mine, but I went to a Metal Rich ring with Pristine Reserves and the only metal I saw was Silver - and that was in about 1 of 30 rocks. I ended up with only a couple of loads of Silver and the remainder was assorted minerals. I was under the impression that Metal rings with Pristine reserves would have a lot more metal.

Also, is the type of metal in the ring fixed if I leave the area and return or is it fixed?

This could be a good resource

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteMiners/

So I got an Independent/Ho Hsi bounty on my head. I head to Balatu, which is a Federal system. Random dude (NPC) tells me I have a bounty on my head and attacks me.

Am I to assume this guy was a legit bounty hunter with a kill warrant scanner, or did I misunderstand how system bounties work?

HelloMeow

So I got an Independent/Ho Hsi bounty on my head. I head to Balatu, which is a Federal system. Random dude (NPC) tells me I have a bounty on my head and attacks me.

Am I to assume this guy was a legit bounty hunter with a kill warrant scanner, or did I misunderstand how system bounties work?

Yeah thats right. If a bounty hunter NPC scans you they will see your bounty.

Serrato

one thing I find stupid is that if you hit a non-wanted ship by accident, you get a bounty (and chased by the Feds, even if you helped them out for HOURS) but if they hit YOU, you cannot fire at them back.

Otherwise, I made like 300k in bounties today in Ho Hsi.

Gotta help however I can!

Wreav

Banned
Was bounty hunting in Balatu, and a Conda popped in and was quite mad at me from the get-go, scanning and harassing me. Somehow, once he started firing on me, all the NPCs in the area joined in my defense, and we spent about 8 minutes working him down...and I got the bounty for it.

Damn, it feels good to be a gangster.

Z8WSYet.jpg

You better believe I warped back to Ho Hsi as fast as I freaking could.

Ferrio

Banned
I want to get this game, but I feel if I don't have a OR that I won't be getting the full experience. Keep telling myself to wait when this game is more developed and consumer rift is out... but man it hurts.

Wreav

Banned
Ho Hsi is up to 1750 ship passed through in the last 24 hours. The war of hearts and minds is gaining momentum, commanders!

I want to get this game, but I feel if I don't have a OR that I won't be getting the full experience. Keep telling myself to wait when this game is more developed and consumer rift is out... but man it hurts.

Not having the rift is hardly a reason to not consider ED. Yes, it's transformative on the rift, but it's still an amazing game in 2D. I would, however, implore you to play with an HOTAS no matter what, especially since that's a prereq for playing with a rift.

Skyzard

Banned
Glad people are using mumble to talk while playing, adds a lot even if you're not with them doing stuff.

Details again below and thanks to Hylian for the Mumble voice server and Aztechnology for asking so us ED players can use it.

gafmumble.typefrag.com 6740

That doesn't sound too bad but how many different menus is that?

Do you have to go in to the communications menu find the right space station select dock then go back to the cockpit screen and pilot the ship in then go into the landing gear menu and select the option to lower the landing gear then go back to the cockpit to land.

You can even set a voice command to request docking (using a program called voice attack).

I've started going to Anarchic systems, get a kill scanner and you get loads more bounties, plus if you find one with Slaves for sale check out the bulletin board for the 50k mission to hand in two slaves, bought them from the market, turned in the mission, quick 30k profit, done this a load of times now, also log off in these places as there's a good chance the mission will pop up when you come back later.

What are people thoughts on the best guns? I'm trying out 4x gimballed cannons, seems nice except for the low ammo, really good for power conservation, can still keep a good amount in Sys without running down weapons too much. How do they compare to turreted weapons? Haven't tried one yet.

You may find it tough with all gimballed weapons against people who use chaff.

Had an odd experience.

I've been playing since Beta 1.0 and I've been particularly pirating a lot of players since, I'd get wanted status and some bounties pile up in systems and be able to dock at stations in them just fine.

When the game officially released, I continued to do so, had been pirating players in Sol the past weekend netting a large bounty on my head and wanted. Been able to dock at a federation station in the system just fine

I decide to take my practices elsewhere, to an independent system with an allegiance to the Alliance. I killed a player by interdicting them in SC and also attacked another player but didn't murder him/her because they got away. I got a bounty and wanted status just like I do all the time.

I decided to dock in one of the stations and was immediately blown to pieces. I have never been blown to pieces from having a high bounty in the system and becoming a criminal through the act of murder. Like in Sol, I had over 50k bounty on my head from killing players and docked at a federation station just fine. However, I kill one player in an independent Alliance system and just attack another, dock at its station and I'm blown to pieces. Is the Alliance less tolerable than the Federation? I'm not sure what happened, and I've been doing this since Beta 1 (although never in an Alliance system).

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same.

Curious about this myself.

Dubz

Do you need a fancy flight stick to have a chance in this game? It's the one thing that's preventing me from taking the plunge.

Had an odd experience.

I've been playing since Beta 1.0 and I've been particularly pirating a lot of players since, I'd get wanted status and some bounties pile up in systems and be able to dock at stations in them just fine.

When the game officially released, I continued to do so, had been pirating players in Sol the past weekend netting a large bounty on my head and wanted. Been able to dock at a federation station in the system just fine

I decide to take my practices elsewhere, to an independent system with an allegiance to the Alliance. I killed a player by interdicting them in SC and also attacked another player but didn't murder him/her because they got away. I got a bounty and wanted status just like I do all the time.

I decided to dock in one of the stations and was immediately blown to pieces. I have never been blown to pieces from having a high bounty in the system and becoming a criminal through the act of murder. Like in Sol, I had over 50k bounty on my head from killing players and docked at a federation station just fine. However, I kill one player in an independent Alliance system and just attack another, dock at its station and I'm blown to pieces. Is the Alliance less tolerable than the Federation? I'm not sure what happened, and I've been doing this since Beta 1 (although never in an Alliance system).

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same.

Could it be that the ships you attacked in the independent system were of the same faction that ran the station itself?

Does anybody know if the Viper would be a worthy exploration ship (obviously after some upgraded here and there). I want something that I can jump into some bounty hunting pretty easily on the side but also make money in other ways (and from experience, even in just my sidewinder with basic scanner, exploring can be lucrative).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here are the items that work for trade trips between Steiner Hub and Alexeyev Enterprise.

Buy at Steiner -> Sell at Alexeyev:
Performance Enhancers: 405 profit per ton
Gold: 437
HE suits: 88

Buy at Alexeyev - > Sell at Steiner:
Lithium: 404 profit per ton
Silver: 414
Advanced Catalysers: 155

Handy for when you just want to jump between stations looking for missions.

Here are the items that work for trade trips between Steiner Hub and Alexeyev Enterprise.

Buy at Steiner -> Sell at Alexeyev:
Performance Enhancers: 405 profit per ton
Gold: 437
HE suits: 88

Buy at Alexeyev - > Sell at Steiner:
Lithium: 404 profit per ton
Silver: 414
Advanced Catalysers: 155

Handy for when you just want to jump between stations looking for missions.

Nice work! Will come in handy when hanging around Ho Hsi.

Both Steiner and Alexeyev offer a mission for Jet Comms asking for slaves which pays pretty well (40-50k). There's a system called LP 811-17 about 20LY away that has a station that sells slaves on their regular commodity market. They make for easy money too and you're doing work for Jet Comms.

Man, mining fields become fucking crazy after a while. I hung out in one for about 30 mins and made a solid 50k. Not a whole lot, but a steady stream of 6-12k bounties. Even if you have "Report crimes against me" turned off, it's an insane battle between Wanted and System Security. It's easier to spot them, too, compared to Nav beacon, where the giant sun makes it hard to see laser being fired.

To everyone unsure about checking it out: I'm not familiar with flight sims at all (never used a joystick before, really) but I didn't have much trouble picking up ED's controls. Now I can dock pretty easily. It takes maybe a day or two to get used to it--I feel really comfortable now, and I mostly played this weekend. I was stoned half the time, too (p.s. flying around space at night with no one else around you is kind of terrifying). Zero crashed ships!

Not everything is directly told to you, but they have an amazing user manual that explains everything as in-depth as it needs to be, as well as their future plans.

The videos make it look complicated, but a lot of the more complicated stuff is procedure that is learned by repetition/getting used to it: requesting permission, checking on all nearby contacts, power modules, etc. I watched some vids, played the tutorials, and jumped into Solo mode for my first day. I think you have to have an appreciation for that kind of procedure ("micro management" if you want to call it, but that has a negative connotation). I think it's a part of the experience.

I think HOTAS is required--can't imagine playing without it. Control pad is one step below, and the mouse is probably after. HOTAS really makes it click, though, IMO.

The videos make it look complicated, but a lot of the more complicated stuff is procedure that is learned by repetition/getting used to it: requesting permission, checking on all nearby contacts, power modules, etc. I watched some vids, played the tutorials, and jumped into Solo mode for my first day. I think you have to have an appreciation for that kind of procedure ("micro management" if you want to call it, but that has a negative connotation). I think it's a part of the experience.

I agree for the most part. I've really grown to appreciate manually docking at stations; it's Elite's version of the reverse parking maneuver in Euro Truck Simulator 2 in that it makes you feel like a boss once you can do it in your sleep. I do still wish I had a way to automatically approach points of interest in supercruise, though; I'm still overshooting my targets every so often if I don't pay attention, which isn't awful but does feel like a waste of time when I come in too fast.

As an aside, one tip for anyone still having trouble lining up the landing pad: there's a separate set of landing-only controls. I suggest binding the forward/backward thruster keys to whatever your increase/decrease throttle keys/controls are. As long as you remember to cut the throttle once you get close to the pad, you'll have much finer control over your ship's position as you come in for landing because you'll no longer be fighting the throttle when moving back and forth.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Finally sold my type 6 and have got myself a decently kitted out Asp. Did some bounty hunting in Hso Hsi, make like 300 - 400k just bumming around extraction sites blasting pirates that came in. Unfortunately all the bounties there are for Hso Hsi corp, so I'm hurting the cause, should probably move my hunting ground elsewhere.

The Asp is a beast though, with 6 weapon hardpoints it's pretty nuts.

Soooooo.... A station just blew me up for no damn reason. I had docking permission and was heading towards my pad when suddenly the station just blows me up out of nowhere. I never got any message saying that I was loitering or anything... Just sudden death.

Ho Hsi is up to 48% >:[

Soooooo.... A station just blew me up for no damn reason. I had docking permission and was heading towards my pad when suddenly the station just blows me up out of nowhere. I never got any message saying that I was loitering or anything... Just sudden death.

Were you wanted?

Skyzard

Banned
Nice work! Will come in handy when hanging around Ho Hsi.

Both Steiner and Alexeyev offer a mission for Jet Comms asking for slaves which pays pretty well (40-50k). There's a system called LP 811-17 about 20LY away that has a station that sells slaves on their regular commodity market. They make for easy money too and you're doing work for Jet Comms.

The main drawback of the viper from what I read is that once you upgrade it the jump distance drops loads (like near to a sidewinder).

I want one for what I hear about the combat but I skipped and went straight to cobra for an all-rounder.

Ho Hsi is up to 48% >:[

Hm does anyone know if there has been a civil war in any area yet?

JambiBum

I have three faction rank progression missions... all three are kill a target, and I can't find any of them. Anyone have ay tips?

Is it maelstrom? If that's the target according to their forums he is bugged and you can't ever find him. If not then just keep looking in USS's I guess.

They were 49 earlier. Isn't this better?

I thought we were the ones up to 49 earlier?

Yeah by 400 credits! I was going to the ship specifically to pay it off dammit. If that's why I was blown up, what was I supposed to do?

You can only pay it off at a station that isn't allied with the faction that put a bounty on you. You can see which factions have bounties on you in your right control panel, and you can see if a station is safe by selecting it on the system map (it will say WANTED if they have a bounty on you). It will also say WANTED in your ship's lower right HUD if you are in a dangerous system.

So, uh... Is this the game I always dreamed Eve Online to be? As in - if I enjoyed the slow progression and the tranquil atmosphere of that game, even without free flying and a cockpit-mode, I should be the perfect candidate for a serious case of Elite addiction?

I thought we were the ones up to 49 earlier?

You can only pay it off at a station that isn't allied with the faction that put a bounty on you. You can see which factions have bounties on you in your right control panel, and you can see if a station is safe by selecting it on the system map (it will say WANTED if they have a bounty on you). It will also say WANTED in your ship's lower right HUD if you are in a dangerous system.
That... Is lame. I guess Ill pay attention to that now. Itd be cool if I could just remote pay it. :/

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
This may have been asked but when I have a ship selected how do I target specific parts? Is that done through the cockpits UI or am I to assign buttons on my HOTAS?

Also, where is the eject button? My ships computer tells me to eject before exploding but I can't see which key it is in the Options>Controls screen.

AJLma

Lé Blade Runner;144353122 said:
So, uh... Is this the game I always dreamed Eve Online to be? As in - if I enjoyed the slow progression and the tranquil atmosphere of that game, even without free flying and a cockpit-mode, I should be the perfect candidate for a serious case of Elite addiction?

It's still early, and the developers are still learning exactly how people are going to interact with this massive galaxy and learning the ways that they'll develop it, but that's what this game is probably going to end up being.

So far, they've laid down an incredibly solid groundwork.

Getting my x52 pro tomorrow. Any recommendations for setup and configuration? This will be my first flight stick and my first real forray into flight/space sims. Pretty excited. :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Getting my x52 pro tomorrow. Any recommendations for setup and configuration? This will be my first flight stick and my first real forray into flight/space sims. Pretty excited. :)

The game has a built in x52 profile that is a pretty solid starting point. You'll figure out what you want to change as you go.

Skyzard

Banned
This may have been asked but when I have a ship selected how do I target specific parts? Is that done through the cockpits UI or am I to assign buttons on my HOTAS?

Also, where is the eject button? My ships computer tells me to eject before exploding but I can't see which key it is in the Options>Controls screen.

To select specific parts you can cycle on the left menu where navigation/transactions/contacts are (it's the next tab). You can also use the key you have for cycling subtargets.

You can't eject from what I know but on the right-hand menu, in the functions tab (last one) there is an option to self destruct at the bottom.

Why do no players ever fight back when I attempt to pirate them. I understand why the traders do not, but when I interdict a player Cobra most of the time they don't want to fight me.

I almost made a grave mistake last night, saw an Adder and thought "pfft, easy kill", I was flying my Cobra at the time instead of my Python, interdicted the player and didn't attack first, just hanged around to see if they would attack me. They did, and I had full pips to weapons and this adder was purely outfit it seems for combat and not trading, had his hardpoints fitted with weapons and actually got my shields down because they got on my six, but due to my dual cannons + beam laser + pulse laser on the Cobra they didn't last very long once I managed to shake him/her off.

It's a lot of fun for me at the moment to hang around the common routes that player traders seem to be moving rare commodities about (like Eranin Pearl Whisky), I love stealing their cargo with my cargo disruptor. Learning to use those limpets requires practice though but I let them live if I can steal their cargo, otherwise I destroy them.

SummitAve

Banned
I plan to play with a friend of mine, but do many of you run solo usually?

Not really a way to group up atm so it's mostly solo. You can get upto some antics if you're willing to coordinate or just make sure not to shoot eachother.

Finally got enough for a Viper after taking down an anaconda. Huge improvement over the sidewinder I've been hunting bounties with.

Not really a way to group up atm so it's mostly solo. You can get upto some antics if you're willing to coordinate or just make sure not to shoot eachother.

Finally got enough for a Viper after taking down an anaconda. Huge improvement over the sidewinder I've been hunting bounties with.

If one of them has a wake scanner they can pretty much follow eachother wherever they want. But yea there's no "group" function as of yet

If one of them has a wake scanner they can pretty much follow eachother wherever they want. But yea there's no "group" function as of yet

That needs to be the first thing in the next Q1 2015 update.

Saying that, had some great times with 3 friends last night just bounty hunting and causing mayhem. Soooo good.

JambiBum

We discussed this -_-. You don't need a wake scanner to follow people as long as you are talking to each other. You only need it to figure out which system they are going to. If you are talking they can just tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom