• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is there a spec/performance thread for this yet? I have an i5-750, GTX560, and 8GB of RAM. Curious as to what kind of performance I will get.

I don't know how much our specs compare but with my old i7 920 oc'd to 3.6ghz, 7950 3gb and 16gb ram I get a rock solid 60fps at max settings, borderless window, 1080, no vsync and no AA. With SMAA or whatever the max one is I get a variable frame rate of like 54-60. So the game runs quite well.

SummitAve

Banned
I have seen 0 instances of griefing, it's a non issue in a universe this big.

Not that it's entirely a negative thing that should be deterred. Griefing can be an incentive for other players to team up. They are an essential part of the ecosystem imo.

I think the 8 is a bit generous right now. The game is a great foundation, but it's pretty barebones.

Acosta

Client: Dear Pilot, would you be so kind to bring these pesticides just two jumps away, easy job!

Me: Well, the pay it´s shitty, but is near and I will surely be able to buy Cobalt for another trade mission. Sure thing!

The station is 90.000 Ls from the point of entry. It takes 10 minutes in Super Cruise to arrive

Me: Goddammit, I almost die of natural dead out there, here are your persticides.

Client: Here are your miserable 3000 credits, piss off.

Me: Great, that will do for paying the fuel. Do you have Cobalt?

Client: No, fuck you.

Where is the update to allow attacking stations again?

Wreav

Banned
Head tracking and very. Let's you look around your cockpit with small head movements. Basically a headpiece you wear and a camera tracks 3 little balls on it.

"Newb question, but since I keep seeing it mentioned: What is TrackIR and how useful is it for Elite Dangerous?"

TrackIR is a headtracking system. This lets you look around your cockpit and follow ships with your head.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think the 8 is a bit generous right now. The game is a great foundation, but it's pretty barebones.

On one hand I agree, the game is barebones and lacking in many ways. And yet, I'm in serious love with it. The feeling of flying around space is incredible, the sounds of this game are alluring, and I'm having an absolute blast with this foundation of a game. So, I agree an 8 is generous, yet I'm enjoying this less than 8 of a game more than many other games I've played this year. It's hard to quantify.

It feels so much like Euro Truck in space to me, but with weapons and combat and the possibility of losing cargo / credits / your ship. Which is probably why ETS2 reminds me so much of the feeling of the old Elite games anyway. If only we had a space radio, lol.

Yeah, I think coming from my fighting game days and more recently 'sim racer' days, I find the lack of story/guidance isn't really detrimental to my enjoyment as long as their is a good core.

Kind of an "It is what it is" type of acceptance. I think once they add all the good stuff they say is 'coming' it will become even better, but the game 'as is' is something I can definitely feel good about giving an 8 to.

It's the best "bang for your buck" model under $100 easily.

I was using an X360 pad before I got my HOTAS X a few days ago and it's game changer. Elite feels like a whole different game with a HOTAS. Things like interdictions are fairly easy to get out of now, with the pad it was real hit or miss. Dogfighting is easier, you have more precision and control over your ship. It just makes it feel more like you're actually in a starship.

I can't imagine how a trackIR will change it further.

Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and order a Thrustmaster HOTAS X. I should get a lot of use for it since I've also got Star Citizen and No Man's Sky to look forward to (God damn it's a good time to be a Space Sim fan). I'll look into Track IR as well, but I haven't had any issues looking around with the toggle button. I'm sure it will just add to the immersion.

This game is great though. I'm loving every minute of it. I took the first couple days just getting good at combat and docking in the training and finally started playing the game on Saturday. I've mainly been hunting bounties in my shitty Sidewinder with the help of Federation ships. Managed to get some large bounties before getting cocky and taking on an Elite... yeah not a good call. Lesson learned anyway.

Should I be focusing on trading at the start of the game? I feel like I have the hang of combat, but I need help to get any large bounties.

What's the best way to explore and make money? What equipment do I need if any at all?

Fuel scoop for sure. And upgraded FSD. I think the scanner can go into long range but I'm not really sure about that part. Definitely Fuel Scoop and upgrade the FSD though. If you're just starting and low on money, just do the Fuel Scoop.

Selling the stuff you need to be 20Ly+ from where you scanned/discovered.

Wreav

Banned
What's the best way to explore and make money? What equipment do I need if any at all?

exploration is about as bad as it can get for a starting player, in terms of income. you really need the multimillion dollar scanner to be remotely profitable.

i personally recommend focusing on bounty hunting and trade until you can get into a better exploration type ship with a good scanner.

SummitAve

Banned
On one hand I agree, the game is barebones and lacking in many ways. And yet, I'm in serious love with it. The feeling of flying around space is incredible, the sounds of this game are alluring, and I'm having an absolute blast with this foundation of a game. So, I agree an 8 is generous, yet I'm enjoying this less than 8 of a game more than many other games I've played this year. It's hard to quantify.

It feels so much like Euro Truck in space to me, but with weapons and combat and the possibility of losing cargo / credits / your ship. Which is probably why ETS2 reminds me so much of the feeling of the old Elite games anyway. If only we had a space radio, lol.

It's just missing some pretty fundamental features. Needs station wide, system wide, and Galaxy wide comms. Corporations/alliances. Transparent market/trading system so you can check prices at other stations within a system. All system/object names hotlinkable to quickly set routes or look up on the market. There are a lot of little things that feel missing from the game, and when you consider it's taken EVE over 10 years to get where it is today it does become a little concerning when considering how much further Elite has to go.

"It's just missing some pretty fundamental features. Needs station wide, system wide, and Galaxy wide comms. Corporations/alliances. Transparent market/trading system so you can check prices at other stations within a system. All system/object names hotlinkable to quickly set routes or look up on the market. There are a lot of little things that feel missing from the game, and when you consider it's taken EVE over 10 years to get where it is today it does become a little concerning when considering how much further Elite has to go."

The Elite community is downright hostile to some of those things, specifically large group organization and any kind of content that would be better experienced with a group.

I'm thinking about tossing some credits into a hauler, mainly just to do some missions and improve my ranking (Since I guess bounty hunting is slow to pick up rank :/). I see that whenever buying new parts, I get all the cost of the old part back, so there is no net loss. Does this apply to the ships as well?

It's just missing some pretty fundamental features. Needs station wide, system wide, and Galaxy wide comms. Corporations/alliances. Transparent market/trading system so you can check prices at other stations within a system. All system/object names hotlinkable to quickly set routes or look up on the market. There are a lot of little things that feel missing from the game, and when you consider it's taken EVE over 10 years to get where it is today it does become a little concerning when considering how much further Elite has to go.

Hell yeah, that would be great! I imagine there is a huge list of things they have in mind or 'could have' but then you're stuck with something like Star Citizen that we won't see a release for years.

I just wish there was a 'history' regarding stations you visited, or you could 'save' mappings for trading back and forth. For a game with trading at its core, it really makes it difficult!

But being able to go in and view "Recent Stations" or something and from there hit 'map' and it takes you to the Galaxy Map or something seems pretty simple and would be awesome.

SummitAve

Banned
"It's just missing some pretty fundamental features. Needs station wide, system wide, and Galaxy wide comms. Corporations/alliances. Transparent market/trading system so you can check prices at other stations within a system. All system/object names hotlinkable to quickly set routes or look up on the market. There are a lot of little things that feel missing from the game, and when you consider it's taken EVE over 10 years to get where it is today it does become a little concerning when considering how much further Elite has to go."

The Elite community is downright hostile to some of those things, specifically large group organization and any kind of content that would be better experienced with a group.

Which is unfortunate and short sighted imo. Enpowering players to drive and control the world is far more interesting and intriguing than isolating things to the individual. It's not as if the role of the lone space pirate would disappear either. I mean just look at what's happening in Ho Hsi and players attempts to sway things with very limited coordination. there is potential for some really fun social dynamics that should be embraced.

Things I want from Elite:

Stop slowing down to a crawl in supercruise in some systems. 8FPS is unplayable to anyone, especially with a Rift on.
Stop slapping bounty on me for a dude flying in front of my bullets.
Stop forgetting my HUD color settings.

That's it. I'm happy otherwise.

Hellers

I think what they've done just to get a game released is to essentially give us the original Elite in 21st century clothes. Now that's done one would hope the next step is adding lots more fun and interesting stuff and features.

LogicStep

I bought it last night, I said fuck it. I wasn't able to play the game because I only downloaded and installed the tutorials. I played those, died a bunch in the last two until I finally got it. Something about it that had me real focused on the game, played those tutorials for a good hour or more. I did notice the tutorials are just for combat. No tutorials for the other stuff you can do in the game?

SLV

Turning my exploration trip towards HO HSI to meet up with some of y'all, have not seen a living soul in quite some time (CMDR)

So Ho Hsi doesn't seem to have gold anymore to sell. It had it yesterday. Now to try and find a new route. Anyone have any suggestions? It might not be a bad idea for the future to have trade locations hidden in the email tags so the resources aren't tapped so quickly. I'll let you guys know if I find a good route.

I think what they've done just to get a game released is to essentially give us the original Elite in 21st century clothes. Now that's done one would hope the next step is adding lots more fun and interesting stuff and features.

Oh yeah I can't wait for the huge content updates, where I can fly onto planets or walk around bases, but really I don't think of Elite as being this "social" game where I need fourteen different kinds of chat. I can message a player if I want to, and it's easy, and that's all I need. I'm glad that while I'm flying around a star, I don't have "LOL JK DICKS ARE GR8" or whatever popping up incessantly on my screen.

I guess MAYBE a station channel, where when I was docked I could chat, but even then I doubt there'll be enough players in a station to even remember the feature was there.

EDIT:
That's your system, not the game.

You're doing something unsupported (for now). Of course it's not gonna work perfectly, not FD's fault.
Then why do I get 75fps literally EVERYWHERE except for a handful of systems? Why is it that System A has absolutely perfect performance, and suddenly system B has 8fps? I'm not talking a small dip here.

And I get it about the color thing, it's the first time I've even mentioned it. I was kind of reaching to have more than two things. :x

I really don't like this idea. I really enjoy looking over to the side and thumbing through the control panel to set my destination. Start taking those little bits of immersion out and it feels less and less like you're piloting a ship.

Basically you're arguing for automatic transmissions over manual transmissions in cars.

I bought it last night, I said fuck it. I wasn't able to play the game because I only downloaded and installed the tutorials. I played those, died a bunch in the last two until I finally got it. Something about it that had me real focused on the game, played those tutorials for a good hour or more. I did notice the tutorials are just for combat. No tutorials for the other stuff you can do in the game?

did you check out the docking and travel tutorials? They teach you some really fun essentials. But I wish there were more - no mining/interdiction tutorials hurt

SummitAve

Banned
I really don't like this idea. I really enjoy looking over to the side and thumbing through the control panel to set my destination. Start taking those little bits of immersion out and it feels less and less like you're piloting a ship.

Basically you're arguing for automatic transmissions over manual transmissions in cars.

I agree somewhat, but with system/station names that are almost purely numerical or just plain spelled weird it becomes difficult going back and forth between the Galaxy map and your mission tab in order to spell something correctly. At least have the map or navigation tab acknowledge your current objectives. Ability to make bookmarks and stuff in space would be great too.

As of right now I'm using a lot of pen and paper to write notes down, and as much as I persoanlly enjoy that, it's bad design. Especially considering it's supposed to be the future where piloting your ship outside of dogfights does kind of boil down to simply pressing buttons.

I agree somewhat, but with system/station names that are almost purely numerical or just plain spelled weird it becomes difficult going back and forth between the Galaxy map and your mission tab in order to spell something correctly. At least have the map or navigation tab acknowledge your current objectives. Ability to make bookmarks and stuff in space would be great too.

As of right now I'm using a lot of pen and paper to write notes down, and as much as I persoanlly enjoy that, it's bad design. Especially considering it's supposed to be the future where piloting your ship outside of dogfights does kind of boil down to simply pressing buttons.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure it's part of the design. Pad and paper. It was an essential part of the original game(so I've been told). I really don't mind it but I see where you are coming from. I really think you should be able to look at other systems supplies. At least from within the same system. I imagine that an in-game note system would be very useful too.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure it's part of the design. Pad and paper. It was an essential part of the original game(so I've been told). I really don't mind it but I see where you are coming from. I really think you should be able to look at other systems supplies. At least from within the same system. I imagine that an in-game note system would be very useful too.

This is what I really want. I've been taking notes with a physical pen and paper as well, but it really interrupts the game for me. In-game notes would at least keep the immersion up.

Mengy

Stop slowing down to a crawl in supercruise in some systems. 8FPS is unplayable to anyone, especially with a Rift on.

I've not seen this once, at all. Maybe you have a driver problem? The game is silky smooth for me so far.

Mengy

I started off using pen and paper but now I've migrated to this handy little program:

Cmdr's Log Utility

It's worked wonders for trading, and it allows me to do what I was essentially doing by hand but better and quicker. I'm still keeping some notes on a pad but not much now. Once I get my Asp and get out exploring deep space I'll be using the utility to keep track of which systems I've explored.

I started off using pen and paper but now I've migrated to this handy little program:

Cmdr's Log Utility

It's worked wonders for trading, and it allows me to do what I was essentially doing by hand but better and quicker. I'm still keeping some notes on a pad but not much now. Once I get my Asp and get out exploring deep space I'll be using the utility to keep track of which systems I've explored.

Ooo, I like the look of this. I'll have to set up my laptop on my desk but this is much better than *shudder* actually using a pen and paper. I mean what year is it? 2214?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This game desperately needs a good excuse to have massive space battles.

What do?

1) Territory, this is already in the game...
2) Resources from territory, also in the game but...
3) Resources need to be given value through production of...
4) Assets! Ships, modules, stations. If they don't want to introduce player capital ships in the game, they should at let you donate your profits to a fraction that can field NPC piloted capital ships. All which will be sold on...
5) An open market with a powerful UI creating...
6) A chain of production turning raw materials into desirable commodities which will encourage...
7) The seizure and destruction of resources and materials through large scale warfare!

Or just have all this happening in the background by the NPC factions so players can just join on the mayhem.

Stop slapping bounty on me for a dude flying in front of my bullets.
Stop forgetting my HUD color settings.

That's it. I'm happy otherwise.

Which system does that happen in? I very rarely get slowdown and its typically only when transitioning from the different flight modes.

Speaking of, I do really hope they continue to work on the transitions between regular flight, supercruise, and hyperspace. It would go a long way towards the immersion--now, sometimes it's very much a "aaaand now we've loaded in the planet/meteor belt/etc." situation.

Otherwise, I agree, especially on the unforgiving bounty system. On one hand, I do really like the impetus to control your fire as another vehicle crosses close to your target. On the other hand, when you're close to the target and the other vehicle just flies right in front of you, you never really have a chance to know and disengage.

I don't know that there IS an endgame to ED, but I love that all the side missions, all the "fetch quests", actually have repercussions. Not just with the individual factions (where you gain rep, much like Destiny) but in the universe as a whole (our whole campaign against the Ho Hsi), and then of course you have the smaller impacts to trade, economy, etc.

I REALLY want to check out the slave rebellion and see some Capital ships, too! I assume we'd fight against them, since we're Federalists?

I played this game all weekend, I didn't play anything else, I'm seriously hooked.

Yeah, same. I just kept coming back to it. Didn't get much work done, ahah.

This game desperately needs a good excuse to have massive space battles.

What do?

1) Territory, this is already in the game...
2) Resources from territory, also in the game but...
3) Resources need to be given value through production of...
4) Assets! Ships, modules, stations. If they don't want to introduce player capital ships in the game, they should at let you donate your profits to a fraction that can field NPC piloted capital ships. All which will be sold on...
5) An open market with a powerful UI creating...
6) A chain of production turning raw materials into desirable commodities which will encourage...
7) The seizure and destruction of resources and materials through large scale warfare!

Or just have all this happening in the background by the NPC factions so players can just join on the mayhem.

I do hope they eventually have larger "battles" that can take place, but isn't there a 30 player count limit for an instance? Is that 30 + NPCs?

The Capital Interdictor battles look pretty crazy.

Wreav

Banned
Just said goodbye to my Adder, she was a great vessel, but the Mk. III is what I'm sorely needing. Proud to say I took down a Conda in the Adder before seeing her go.

Bounty hunting in Balatu has been a real boon for cash flow!

As I live vicariously through you all-

Flight Assist Off or On? What is the consensus?

The way it looks to me (obviously from an outsider perspective) is that with it On, it basically gives you the ability to fly it like a plane. With it Off, it looks like that you have to consider your momentum and apply counter forces.

How do you prefer?

Haluko

Then why do I get 75fps literally EVERYWHERE except for a handful of systems? Why is it that System A has absolutely perfect performance, and suddenly system B has 8fps? I'm not talking a small dip here.

And I get it about the color thing, it's the first time I've even mentioned it. I was kind of reaching to have more than two things. :x

This is what is driving me nuts right now in the rift. I thought it was my system, but its not. I can drop it from high to low and get the same performance. Its mostly in hyper cruise in certain systems.

Although once it starts juddering I found if I save and exit, when I come back its smooth. I will have above 75 fps with nothing in front of me and other times 8fps. Aggravating.

Uthred

Which is unfortunate and short sighted imo. Enpowering players to drive and control the world is far more interesting and intriguing than isolating things to the individual. It's not as if the role of the lone space pirate would disappear either. I mean just look at what's happening in Ho Hsi and players attempts to sway things with very limited coordination. there is potential for some really fun social dynamics that should be embraced.

But the core focus of the Elite series is about the individual, isnt there room for both types of games? We dont really need "Alt-EVE"

Mengy

Just said goodbye to my Adder, she was a great vessel, but the Mk. III is what I'm sorely needing. Proud to say I took down a Conda in the Adder before seeing her go.

Bounty hunting in Balatu has been a real boon for cash flow!

I love the Adder too except for the visibility, man it's hard to see out of it. I hope to have a Cobra before Christmas (merry Xmas to me!!). Once I get the Cobra I'm going to mess around with some mining and bounty hunting before filling it with cargo racks and trading my way up to the Asp.

Flight Assist Off or On? What is the consensus?

The way it looks to me (obviously from an outsider perspective) is that with it On, it basically gives you the ability to fly it like a plane. With it Off, it looks like that you have to consider your momentum and apply counter forces.

How do you prefer?

I fly mostly with assist on, but I find myself turning it off a lot when docking the Adder at stations. Because it's so hard to see out of it I turn assist off to look around before changing directions, lol. With my Eagle in combat I fly a mix of on and off, using it strategically so to speak. I don't think I could fly with assist off full time.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but I really hate the mission structure. If it's not a direct hauling mission, it will almost certainly be
  1. Jump to system
  2. Fly around in supercruise until you get an unidentified signal source
  3. Slow down and drop out of supercruise, crossing your fingers and hoping RNG rolls in your favor
  4. RNG probably did not roll in your favor, so recharge supercruise and start the process all over again

There's enough to make your own fun, so you don't have to exclusively do missions. But I really wish there were more variety and that they didn't all depend on USS dice rolls.

Haluko

I have a question for everyone. I keep reading guides to making money and so many say trading is where its at. I have a cobra that can haul 36 tons but it really doesn't seem that great. I make way more money doing bounty's at an extraction site or USS.

I understand buying when the price is low and then selling where its high, but it just doesn't seem worth the time. Per hour killing wanted people yields way more. Am I doing trading wrong?

Addtionally, I want to do exploring too. Is the detailed surface scanner worth it? How much more does it yield? Right now exploring seems to yield little in terms of credits. I think the most I got was about 6k for a system.

Finally got a good go at it last night with my DK2 and holy crap man. Jumping to another area only to be greeted by a giant star is actually slightly terrifying haha, so is the thought of being stranded in space, I'm constantly looking at my fuel gauge even though I have more than enough and it's super cheap to fill up.

Yeah, im with this. If you can bind that kind of ability to a single button press then youre just...pressing a button on your keyboard. Even stuff that has keyboard shortcuts like silent running, cargo scoop, etc, I always use the on screen computer for it. Why? Cause it feels like im operating a freakin spaceship as opposed to operating a keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom