• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
We discussed this -_-. You don't need a wake scanner to follow people as long as you are talking to each other. You only need it to figure out which system they are going to. If you are talking they can just tell you.

Ughhhh. Yea we did. I was for some reason thinking if one of you followed someone/something after a Frame Shift jump that you would need a wake scanner since hyperdrives leave high energy wakes right? Regardless you're right you wouldn't need it to just play together in general.

JambiBum

Ughhhh. Yea we did. I was for some reason thinking if one of you followed someone/something after a Frame Shift jump that you would need a wake scanner since hyperdrives leave high energy wakes right? Regardless you're right you wouldn't need it to just play together in general.

Yeah a frame shift jump leaves the high energy wakes, so that's what you need the scanner for. If you are following a stranger then you would need it, but for friends you should just be telling each other where you are going.

Bust Nak

So I am in one station and the commodity market is paying high price for something, it says it is imported from system X. So I fly to system X thinking I can get make some quick credit, but no station in system X actually sells the stuff. Is this a bug or is there a secret station I am missing somewhere?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Taking out some Wanted scum and someone else tries to take me out. Panic stations set in, sparks are flying, window is cracking, shields offline and won't charge. I'm waiting for the FSD to kick in while still getting shot at. BOOM! I'm traveling at warp speed, anywhere, I don't care.

4% Hull left and No shields. I'd say I had that under control!

mdzskr.bmp

Darklord

Banned
So is this worth buying now or shoyld I wait a couple months?

Also, if I buy a joystick will it have the layout configured or does it need to be done manually?

Klyka

Banned
So I am in one station and the commodity market is paying high price for something, it says it is imported from system X. So I fly to system X thinking I can get make some quick credit, but no station in system X actually sells the stuff. Is this a bug or is there a secret station I am missing somewhere?

Well if the system IMPORTS from system X, wouldn't it make sense that system x EXPORTS aka SELLS it?

Klyka

Banned
Klykka we're still at 48 for Ho Hsi and 49 for Jet. Can't seem to break the 50 barrier

Dammit. We gotta make sure to decrease influence of the smaller factions also. Like that Empire faction sitting at 1.5% or so needs to go.

Also, son, it's Klyka. Not Klykka :p

Bust Nak

Well if the system IMPORTS from system X, wouldn't it make sense that system x EXPORTS aka SELLS it?

That's what I figured as well. The goods in question was battle weapons. I don't remember the name of the system X, but it was an anarchy system and there was an independent pirate outpost where all but toxic waste was legal. It made sense that's where I needed to go, but no, they don't sell it, don't even have a commodity market. I am just wondering if there could be a secret outpost that is not on my system map.

Sevenfold

Also, if I buy a joystick will it have the layout configured or does it need to be done manually?
I bought the Thrusatmaster for a shade over 30 quid and downloaded an existing profile. Has everything covered with a couple of blanks to use for whatever. Mouse for map and keyboard for input, and having played K/M then controller then HOTAS it's honestly the only way to play the game without full speech recognition.
As for whether the game is for you as it is. If you aren't a flight sim pro then yeah, by the time it's feature rich enough for you to be happy with, you'll have your head around it's systems and be dipping your toes into FA/off combat.

So a bug then.

bj00rn_

Banned

Most of us regulars in here would tend to say that we have a great time with the game. I for one have more fun with this than most games I bought this year. But you know how it goes; We're talking about something very subjective here, so who knows what's the best for you. E:D will get stronger for each update and expansion. So if you're unsure, it's not the end of the world to wait a little.

Klyka

Banned

If you are unsure and the videos/streams of it that you can watch don't immediately make you want to get it, then I would say wait till next year and some more updates, especially grouping.

ys45

Avoided an interdiction yesterday in solo mode damn that was stressful, I still have my basic ship I would probably get destroyed (I also have not done any combat except tutorial)
I started doing some trade with tools (elite trader) because I can't figure out how it work without any tool lol .
Slowly making money I'm at 35k now not sure if I should upgrade my cargo with this ship or just wait to buy some kind of hauler or transport ship .

I want to get this game, but I feel if I don't have a OR that I won't be getting the full experience. Keep telling myself to wait when this game is more developed and consumer rift is out... but man it hurts.

I have a Rift and I still play it on my HDTV. I am getting more familiar with controls and mappings but I use the web for trading and remapping buttons every now and then so the Rift would be annoying.

It's amazing in the Rift, don't get me wrong but there is a small percentage of people playing it like that.

Avoided an interdiction yesterday in solo mode damn that was stressful, I still have my basic ship I would probably get destroyed (I also have not done any combat except tutorial)
I started doing some trade with tools (elite trader) because I can't figure out how it work without any tool lol .
Slowly making money I'm at 35k now not sure if I should upgrade my cargo with this ship or just wait to buy some kind of hauler or transport ship .

Save up for a Hauler, you'll make money quite a bit faster that way as it has twice the cargo to start and I think? is more expandable as well. Also, when you manage to escape interdiction in a Hauler, you feel like the best person ever even though it's probably not a big deal.

I want to get this game, but I feel if I don't have a OR that I won't be getting the full experience. Keep telling myself to wait when this game is more developed and consumer rift is out... but man it hurts.

You won't. But guess what? I don't have a Rift either and it's still plenty of fun. I can see how you might miss having a Rift or TrackIR solution if you were heavily into combat, but even then it's not like the game is unplayable.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
I have a Rift and I still play it on my HDTV. I am getting more familiar with controls and mappings but I use the web for trading and remapping buttons every now and then so the Rift would be annoying.

It's amazing in the Rift, don't get me wrong but there is a small percentage of people playing it like that.

Very true, I have a Rift but while I'm still getting use to the game and key locations I prefer my TrackIR.

Walshicus

I'm doing a mineral run between Ross 140 and... Hakoona? I forget the second system. Either way, nets me a decent chunk of change.

I did start off trying to accumulate scan data and trade at the same time but then I found a decent little spot and swapped out my scanner for a small cargo hold.

Wreav

Banned
If you have any desire to upgrade ships, don't drop a penny into upgrading your Sidewinder. Get a Hauler or Adder the minute you can afford them + insurance (about 3k).

Whelan

Banned
What do I need to add to my Eagle for bounty hunting? At the moment I'm just taking the missions up and jumping into the USS at the given location. Should I add the Kill warranty device? Also those of you hanging about at the jump gates, do you need a piece of equipment to pull the wanted ships out of their hyperspace?

So I've been doing a fair bit of bounty hunting in my Eagle, is it worth getting a new ship (currently at 100kCR) or should I focus on upgrading what I have?

Kud Dukan

Got my first HOTAS setup yesterday (the cheap Thrustmaster one for now), and I'll be buying the game later today!! Any tips for a new player? Any specific goals I should try working towards?

Can't wait to start!

metalhead79

Neo Member
Some asshole player swooped in and stole a bounty from me yesterday. I had the ship down to 8%, when this dudes just swoops in and finishes it off. I was....upset. Let's just say the player didn't live to cash in on the bounty.

Moral of the story: Don't steal my bounties.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I have to say I'm having a fine time with just using my CH Combatstick and KB instead of a proper HOTAS with a real throttle, which I'm inclined to think wouldn't be all that useful given the optimal speed range in ED for max turning in fights cutting out a lot of the need for real fine control of the throttle.

I have WASD as my vertical and lateral thrusters, QE as my YAW, R/F as 10% throttle increase/decrease with SHIFT functions on them as 100% and 25% respectively. Tab as boost. 12345 as SYS/ENG/WEP/Balance and Run Silent and then Alt WASD as head look.

Everything else, targeting, menus, weapon groups, firing, landing gear, scoop and so on are mapped to my stick. I feel like a throttle would be nice just for enriching the experiences more than anything else, but then again I wouldn't be surprised if higher end spacecrafts and fighting human players will demand more precision in throttle control and other controls that a throttle would provide.

Hellers

I was playing with a Logitech flight stick and keyboard. Then my HOTAS X arrived and having the dedicated throttle is like night and day

I've been noticing a lot of posters picking up the Thrustmaster hotas. Would you guys say that is the flight stick to get? I've been using a DS4 along with my keyboard for comms. That hasn't been bad to use at all, I just feel like I would have more control with a dedicated flight stick.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Watching more vids with dudes going without Flight Assist has me itching to give it a go. I could definitely see a HOTAS being a huge plus in that situation.

metalhead79

Neo Member
I've been noticing a lot of posters picking up the Thrustmaster hotas. Would you guys say that is the flight stick to get? I've been using a DS4 along with my keyboard for comms. That hasn't been bad to use at all, I just feel like I would have more control with a dedicated flight stick.

I was using an X360 pad before I got my HOTAS X a few days ago and it's game changer. Elite feels like a whole different game with a HOTAS. Things like interdictions are fairly easy to get out of now, with the pad it was real hit or miss. Dogfighting is easier, you have more precision and control over your ship. It just makes it feel more like you're actually in a starship.

I can't imagine how a trackIR will change it further.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's the best "bang for your buck" model under $100 easily.

EDIT: Eurogamer review is up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-22-elite-dangerous-review

For now, that life comes via other players, and this is a mixed blessing. Personally, I found that the presence of other human pilots weakened the game's immersion rather than deepening it. Whether it's new players cluttering up landing pads or colliding with you as you dock, [/b]or experienced players hanging around popular outposts to destroy easy targets, only a few seem to actually get into the role-playing aspect. Far from feeling like a universe populated by pilots, it feels like a space full of computer game players[/b].

This is one aspect that worries me about the game. I think bounties need to be a lot higher to deter this type of of behaviour

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Space Truckin' really pays exponentially once you get the Type 6. Managed to make about 1.4million Cr last night just hauling. Now that my ship is upgraded I'll really be able to start pulling in the credits. My Trackir ProClip should arrive tomorrow so I look forward to that.

Yeah, I was looking at ship stats yesterday while I ate lunch and I may adjust my ship purchase trajectory a bit to include the Lakon 6:

Sidewinder -> Adder -> Cobra -> Lakon 6 -> Asp

I currently have an Adder with 20T cargo (running with a class 2 shield) and I really haven't needed the shield as much as I thought I would. The few times I've been interdicted by any serious threat I just boosted and ran while barely taking any meaningful hits, so I may drop the shield for another rack. The Cobra can have either 40T cargo (keeping the shield and scanner), 56T cargo (dropping the shield but keeping the scanner), or 60T cargo (dropping everything for racks). Even with 60T of space it's going to take a long time to grind my way up to 7+ million for the Asp that I want. A Lakon 6 with twice that space at 112T would get me the Asp much faster.

Oh, and about the TrackIR, I can't play the game without it at all. I tried this weekend because the hat I have my clip on was bugging me, but the game feels so confining without TrackIR to me, LOL. So yeah, IMHO it adds a metric shit ton to the game's immersion.

I played this game all weekend, I didn't play anything else, I'm seriously hooked.

This is one aspect that worries me about the game. I think bounties need to be a lot higher to deter this type of of behaviour

I haven't seen it happen yet. I think I've been interdicted by NPC's more than real players at this point.

I do think it may become an issue later as the "Elite" players get bored. There really isn't much to do once you get all your ships outfitted like you want.

I know it's not the most ideal thing, but if they really want to 'keep' a lot of players, not just the people that post in this OT a lot or the 'old school' players, they will need to have some sort of PVP that is available outside of the random encounters. Would be cool if they implemented some type of outlaw fighting station. Where you can set a challenge and accept challenges.

Let's say I wanted to fight somebody on the forums, you could go to this station, put up the challenge to the player, the player accepts and you both get a 'contact' or Nav target that only you two would be able to jump to. Different areas depending on the type of area the space station is in.

But just ideas like that would give people that don't want to trade things to do. Doesn't get in the way of anybody and you still could go out and grief if you wanted (I don't think that should be taken away unless it becomes a major problem) but then there's the challenge also knowing that the player you're fighting may be a challenge instead of a guess with interdiction.

Orgun

Server side trading fix - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83374

Hi,

here are the latest server changes:

Hot-fixes from over the weekend:

- When a distributed transaction fails in a certain way, make sure the servers roll back such that Commanders' credit balances should be added to, even if we might have failed to remove the item they were selling
- Significantly reduce the number '499' timeout errors triggered when Commanders travel to certain types of star systems.
- Improve the 'stuck cargo' cleaning check when a Commander first logs in
- Fix a bug preventing some people logging into the Companion app

Today's changes:

- Fixed a bug that was sometimes causing a market to flip from being a net consumer to a net producer when the AI traders supplied significantly more into that market than the market demands. This will mean that many commodities currently listed at a low level of 'demand' will revert back to the 'not interested' price, as they should have been.

- Fixed a small set of bugs that were working together to cause the AI traders to significantly over supply an import market in a specific set of circumstances.

This bug fix will increase the demand numbers being offered to Commanders for consumed commodities where there isn't a large exporting market nearby supplying that demand.
Where large exporting markets are nearby, the AI traders will now respect their import caps and leave some demand for Commanders.
In that situation, the exporting markets should see a slightly increased level of supply available for Commanders to purchase.

These bug fixes together should also sort out some of the 'backwards' trade route data over the next day or so when the data next update.

For the trading the changes in demand should propagate quickly but for the trade routes may take a day or so. This has uncovered an issue with split markets stacking rather than being netter out, although this effect is minor compared to the previous issue. We'll then record the stats over Christmas to identify what further tweaks are needed.

Thanks!

Michael

bj00rn_

Banned

The EG review gives it a good score, not complaining at all (and why would I either way?), so it's a good opportunity to say that absolute review scores are idiotic in the first place, and E:D is just one example of a game that kinda shouldn't be scored, but where the review text should stand alone. I said earlier in the thread that E:D is more fun to me than most games this year, but the funny thing is, I still wouldn't quite be able to give it a score, I wouldn't know where to start quantify it.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Is there a spec/performance thread for this yet? I have an i5-750, GTX560, and 8GB of RAM. Curious as to what kind of performance I will get.

The EG review gives it a good score, not complaining at all (and why would I either way?), so it's a good opportunity to say that absolute review scores are idiotic in the first place, and E:D is just one example of a game that kinda shouldn't be scored, but where the review text should stand alone. I said earlier in the thread that E:D is more fun to me than most games this year, but the funny thing is, I still wouldn't quite be able to give it a score, I wouldn't know where to start quantify it.

It's tough to say. I'd definitely give it an 8. I think there is too much missing for it to be a 9 or 10. Even though I'm not one of those people that grade games based on what "could be", there is a lot that "should be" in here, down to basic tutorials for certain things or even 'mouse over tips'.

I just think going into this game looking for a "story" is a bad approach and that's what many are expecting. There is no endgame. You just play it. Most of the detractors I see in a lot of the forums are people expecting more of a story-based game or more forgiving play.

I'll say I wish there was a little more to make the game feel "alive" when it comes to story, but it's also not something I would take away imaginary score points for because I knew going into it after research it's more of an exploration/bounty/trading game than some grand RPG in space with cutscenes and decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom