• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I live vicariously through you all-

Flight Assist Off or On? What is the consensus?

The way it looks to me (obviously from an outsider perspective) is that with it On, it basically gives you the ability to fly it like a plane. With it Off, it looks like that you have to consider your momentum and apply counter forces.

How do you prefer?

I usually keep assist on and limit assist off to specific maneuvers in combat...or when I feel like being fancy during docking.

Edit: Also, flight assist off is nigh impossible to control for more than brief maneuvers when using a mouse.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

The way it looks to me (obviously from an outsider perspective) is that with it On, it basically gives you the ability to fly it like a plane. With it Off, it looks like that you have to consider your momentum and apply counter forces.

How do you prefer?

It's a tool, not an on or off preference. There are situations and maneuvers that call for both.

I have a question for everyone. I keep reading guides to making money and so many say trading is where its at. I have a cobra that can haul 36 tons but it really doesn't seem that great. I make way more money doing bounty's at an extraction site or USS.

I understand buying when the price is low and then selling where its high, but it just doesn't seem worth the time. Per hour killing wanted people yields way more. Am I doing trading wrong?

Addtionally, I want to do exploring too. Is the detailed surface scanner worth it? How much more does it yield? Right now exploring seems to yield little in terms of credits. I think the most I got was about 6k for a system.

They do need to tweak this system, it seems. ObsidianAnt just posted a video, in which he's been just traveling/exploring for about a week. When he went to cash in his exploration data, most was selling for anywhere from zero (yes, zero) credits to a couple hundred, with a few 3-5k here an there. And that was out of, like, 120 different systems he explored.

He then went to a resource extraction point and managed to make over 100k in 14 minutes by taking out wanted Anacondas.

There is a clear imbalance there. Exploit it while you can :)

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but I really hate the mission structure. If it's not a direct hauling mission, it will almost certainly be
  1. Jump to system
  2. Fly around in supercruise until you get an unidentified signal source
  3. Slow down and drop out of supercruise, crossing your fingers and hoping RNG rolls in your favor
  4. RNG probably did not roll in your favor, so recharge supercruise and start the process all over again

There's enough to make your own fun, so you don't have to exclusively do missions. But I really wish there were more variety and that they didn't all depend on USS dice rolls.

I agree and I'm sure they'd be open to ideas. I think it needs to feel more like you, as a bounty hunters, use a mix of skill and tech to actually track the guy, instead of randomly checking systems.

I haven't used a frame shift wake scanner--what information does it reveal?

In Mount & Blade, there are actual tracks on the map (different color denotes how old the tracks are) and they specifically give a last known location (as opposed to this, where "system" isn't very precise). You can also ask the locals if they've seen the Wanted recently.

In general, more NPC interaction would be amazing in ED. I'd like to talk to the locals about nearby factions, persons of influence, Wanted criminals, pirate hideout locations. It would be really fucking cool to track down a pirate hideout that's located in the middle of a mining belt or something.

I'd also REALLY love to have an NPC companion. A co-pilot would be nice (could maybe help cut down the tedium of routine procedure, with the negative of slightly more resource usage), but an NPC-controlled wingman would be great.

Pipe dream here: send your wingman off to complete missions for you. Great way to increase your total amount of progress while reducing the amount of tedious missions you yourself have to do. Of course, the wingman is an actual NPC, who can get killed. Maybe their personality makes them more prone to certain behaviors (cheaper wingmen may have smuggling or pirating habits, for example) that could lead to their capture/death.

JUST DREAMIN BIG, Y'ALL

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn

I agree and I'm sure they'd be open to ideas. I think it needs to feel more like you, as a bounty hunters, use a mix of skill and tech to actually track the guy, instead of randomly checking systems.

Totally. I got an interdictor hoping I'd be able to at least find some wanted NPCs in supercruise. Coulda sworn I'd seen some before when I didn't have the interdictor. For whatever reason though, after flying around for 45 min I still never saw any.

SummitAve

Banned
Yeah, im with this. If you can bind that kind of ability to a single button press then youre just...pressing a button on your keyboard. Even stuff that has keyboard shortcuts like silent running, cargo scoop, etc, I always use the on screen computer for it. Why? Cause it feels like im operating a freakin spaceship as opposed to operating a keyboard

You're just operating the keyboard within your spaceship though.

Totally. I got an interdictor hoping I'd be able to at least find some wanted NPCs in supercruise. Coulda sworn I'd seen some before when I didn't have the interdictor. For whatever reason though, after flying around for 45 min I still never saw any.

I'd love to be able to stumble on a group of pirates, or the same faction as the Wanted guy, and threaten or bribe them to find out where the Wanted is headed, and then chill in supercruise or at the nav point, waiting for the guy.

Wanted ships should have known affiliates that you can coerce or attack for more information. And of course, after they give you the info, you have the option of destroying them or letting them go. Letting them go could increase the chance that your ambush on the Wanted turns into an Ambush on you, but killing them could put a bounty on you or lead to more interdictions by pirates, etc.

Guess this all sounds really complicated, but whatever.

Wreav

Banned
I accidentally did a mission for Ho Hsi corp last night out of Steiner Hub,

I'm sorry everyone. :(

giphy.gif

How do you prefer?

Pretty much spot on.

I have it as a toggle and just toggle it when I need to use it. Usually only need to toggle FA off in instances of combat or when landing and having to turn around quickly.

Crispy75

1) Territory, this is already in the game...
2) Resources from territory, also in the game but...

But both are effectively unlimited. What's the use in controlling territory, when everyone can call a million star systems their own personal empire?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
But both are effectively unlimited. What's the use in controlling territory, when everyone can call a million star systems their own personal empire?

Travel I would assume. Great you control a million worlds, 1500 light years away from anyone else. Traversing that distance to trade or exert your power is going to be a huge hassle in both time and income. So territory in higher player populated areas will be at a premium.

Establishing far far away outposts might be a viable option, to shore up resources and capital, but only to expend that in the more populated regions. Though establishing newer territories and building them up could create new centers of player concentration, which is a plus.

Quick question regarding commander names. I realize I can change my commander name by restarting my save (no issue with me since I just started), but is there anyway I can go back to the old name if I wanted? I like the name I have now, but I wanted to try out some others to see if they were available and go back to my old name if they weren't. I wish the game would tell you if a name was available before committing to it haha.

Atruvius

Tried to do an assassination mission in my Eagle. Took hours to find the, then when I find him he goes into superdrive and of course I haven't bought frameshift interdictor. Oh well, I'll try to kill hime tomorrow.

Managed to take down an npc Anaconda with my Eagle and one or two other npc's. Got 70K credits which got my combat rank to Almost Harmless so you need around 150k - 200k for the second combat rank.

Sinatar

Starbases are the reason. Sure you can go to bumfuck nowhere on the opposite spiral arm of the milky way, but there is no infrastructure there, you'd need to build it all.

I decided to start over. The new starting location has no missions for me. I go to another station in the same system, and that also has no missions on the bulletin board. I go to a neighboring system, and there's one mission that isn't available to me. I logout and log back in several hours later, and there's still nothing for me.

Is something wrong or does there just happen to be nothing available for me? Not exactly a fun way to start.

Wreav

Banned
Wow, haven't flown the Cobra since private beta...forgot how beefy this thing is. However, being able to fire my lasers almost infinitely gives me a real power trip.

w5z6cQa.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

This is a fair point, Elite is many times bigger than EVE is and I didn't take that into account.

But it's also reasonable to say that no one wants to be in the arse end of nowhere on the other side of the galaxy by themselves, and some territory can be more valuable than others, sometimes because of their proximity to population centers.

SummitAve

Banned
Bah, USSs are being an utter dick. Refusing to give me pirates to kill.

USS has been slow and frustrating for me. It's usually just 1 clean ship with nothing to say or offer. I've been having better luck just sitting at a Nav beacon. I also had decent luck when I supercruised towards an asteroid belt and almost every time it dropped me out of supercruise for being too close to the belt it would give me a new spawn.

Nymerio

Wow, the Eagle is a huge step up from my crappy starter Sidewinder. Got lucky and managed to get 2 35-40k bounties and got a gimballed auto cannon, a new shield generator, a new power plant and a warrant scanner.

To chase other ships with supercruise I need another kind of scanner right? And interdicting them requires another gizmo? Can't do that with only one utility mount, right?

USS has been slow and frustrating for me. It's usually just 1 clean ship with nothing to say or offer. I've been having better luck just sitting at a Nav beacon. I also had decent luck when I supercruised towards an asteroid belt and almost every time it dropped me out of supercruise for being too close to the belt it would give me a new spawn.

The system that the mission was in was completely empty, so I had nothing to work with at all. Had to abandon it because it was clear it wasn't going my way. Don't think I'm going to bother with those sort of missions now.

SLV

I dont know about you guys but as long as i can remember, all the USS i have been in have been comletely empty, or do i have to wait for multiple minutes for something to show up there after i arrive ?

Sinatar

Wow, the Eagle is a huge step up from my crappy starter Sidewinder. Got lucky and managed to get 2 35-40k bounties and got a gimballed auto cannon, a new shield generator, a new power plant and a warrant scanner.

To chase other ships with supercruise I need another kind of scanner right? And interdicting them requires another gizmo? Can't do that with only one utility mount, right?

An interdictor is generally a waste of time. Just hang around extraction sites or nav beacons, you'll find plenty of prey.

Nymerio

An interdictor is generally a waste of time. Just hang around extraction sites or nav beacons, you'll find plenty of prey.

Ah, good to know. Was just thinking about it because a couple of ships got away before I could finish them with the sidewinder. Haven't had that problem with the eagle yet though.

There are a few times I wish I had an interdictor when I was just randomly in supercruise and found a Wanted ship, but that's really it. EDIT: To what Wreav said, I guess I've just had bad luck, but I didn't encounter any other human players, other than gaffers, during my entire weekend of playing. Spent a lot of time around Ho Hsi and Balatu, and neighboring systems.

I think a kill warrant scanner MIGHT be more useful, as it can increase your bounty earnings. Haven't had a whole lot of success yet, but it seems to have increased some bounties by 200-1000 credits.

Sinatar

Kill Warrant Scanner is an absolute must have if you're bounty hunting. It's the difference between a 5k bounty and a 25k bounty.

You'll have to travel around a little bit, but the KWS extra bounties are government specific (empire, fed, alliance) not faction specific, so they are easy to cash in.

I loooooovvvveeeee the Eagle. Shame there isn't a "better Eagle"... I dont want to have to give up speed and manueverability just to get a medium hard point. Bah.

EDIT: Guess I'm getting a KWS.

Haly

The Kill Warrant scanner only ensures that you get a bounty voucher right? A Clean NPC/Player won't suddenly become Wanted if you scan them?

Which would imply that Wanted status is universal but bounty vouchers are always local?

Sinatar

The Kill Warrant scanner only ensures that you get a bounty voucher right? A Clean NPC/Player won't suddenly become Wanted if you scan them?

Which would imply that Wanted status is universal but bounty vouchers are always local?

Someone's wanted status is system specific, you can absolutely find bounties on people who show up as 'clean'. Keep in mind that since they are clean in the system you're in, attacking them is still a crime. If you're going after 'clean' bounties, do it in a anarchy system.

But any time you see someone wanted, if you just kill them you'll get the local bounty. Hit them with the KWS first and you'll get every bounty they've ever accrued. It's importance towards making money as a bounty hunter cannot be understated. It is an absolute necessity, end stop.

Haly

I see. But does this imply that you're slowly building up a bounty as a bounty hunter or does that only happen if you attack a clean target?

What if you attack a target that was clean in system X but wanted in system Y. Do you then become wanted in system X but not in system Y?

So confoos.

Wouldn't you potentially have to travel to another system where they were more wanted, though? Not sure that's worth the extra time that could just be spent hunting the next wanted ship.

I think after k-scanning them, and they have other system bounties, you get ALL of the bounties. However, to receive the rewards, yeah, you'd have to go to a system allied with government that put out the bounty, which really isn't too hard. From the pilot manual:

For clarity, here is how the Kill Warrant scanner *should* work (leaving aside bugs for a moment):The KWS cross-references various authority records across multiple systems. The upshot is that when you complete a KWS scan, you will learn the combined value for all bounties issued against the ship.You can check this value in the contacts tab of the target panel (the panel you have to UI focus on, not the basic target panel): just select the ship and it will display the combined value.When you destroy the ship, this combined value will be split up into the individual bounty claims in your contract tab; for example, a 5000k combined value might turn into a Federal claim for 2000k and an independent system claim for 3000k.Importantly, the KWS *does not* give you authorisation to attack a ship. It merely reveals how much the ship is worthy in bounty claims, in total.It is perfectly possible to have a ship that is clean in the current location, but wanted elsewhere. Attacking a ship that is clean will result in a crime being committed, unless you are attacking in an anarchy (where no crimes are logged).On the other hand, just because you get a bounty for attacking a ship that is not wanted in the current location, you are not prevented from cashing in any bounty claim you get for destroying it. Various factions that issue bounties don't really care what laws get broken in order for the perpetrator to be brought to justice as long as their own laws are respected.The bottom line is: unless you are in an anarchy, you will be committing a crime if you attack a ship that isn't wanted, or that you have not completed a basic scan on. A KWS will allow you to potentially earn lots more money by allowing you to cash in bounty claims from systems other than the one you are currently in.

Haly

This is correct.

Okay, last question. is there a unified place where you can see your wanted/clean status among all relevant factions or do you just have to kind of wing it?

Basically is there a reputation page?

I wish this game had more spreadsheets I honestly do :x I understand spreadsheets, I don't understand this anarchy of information.

Okay, last question. is there a unified place where you can see your wanted/clean status among all relevant factions or do you just have to kind of wing it?

Basically is there a reputation page?

I wish this game had more spreadsheets I honestly do :x. I understand spreadsheets.

Pretty sure you can see your government status from the right Control Panel in your ship. If you're Wanted, it will show WANTED next to the government name.

Crispy75

This is a fair point, Elite is many times bigger than EVE is and I didn't take that into account.

But it's also reasonable to say that no one wants to be in the arse end of nowhere on the other side of the galaxy by themselves, and some territory can be more valuable than others, sometimes because of their proximity to population centers.

This is true, but it does mean there won't be the same sort of "pressure cooker" atmosphere as in EVE. If players are allowed to build infrastructure, then I can easily imagine a scenario where the profitability of doing so is greater than that of figting over pre-built infrastructure.

It will be very tricky to balance.

PS: While people are reading my posts :p anyone got some recommended Youtubers ? I like Isinona - he's smart and skillful. Any more along those lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom