• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This is true, but it does mean there won't be the same sort of "pressure cooker" atmosphere as in EVE. If players are allowed to build infrastructure, then I can easily imagine a scenario where the profitability of doing so is greater than that of figting over pre-built infrastructure.

It will be very tricky to balance.

PS: While people are reading my posts :p anyone got some recommended Youtubers ? I like Isinona - he's smart and skillful. Any more along those lines?

Probably best way to do that is make it super expensive or intensive to build said infrastructure. This will make them limited in number and also promote placement of it in more high density areas for maximum profit.

Though it would also mean only large organizations could construct them and few if any individuals could really participate in that arena due to the immense costs involved. Which may not be a bad thing depending.

ED channels I follow, in addition to Kornelius and Isinona:

ObsidianAnt makes a lot of great general ED vids--each video covers a different aspect or area he's exploring.

Scott Manley is an astrophysicist and plays a bunch of space games, including ED. Offers little tidbits of actual astroscience knowledge and some entertaining commentary.

ZeeWolf makes some cool vids, including the first vid we saw (and I posted in this thread) of the Capital Interdictor's appearance/vid.

Titus Balls makes those great "Wonders of Elite Dangerous" vids.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I really hate the System Map in ED. I wish they could having something like I-War 2, which would actually show you the position of planets and stars in their current location, which would be very useful for exploration.

The current one is OK for letting you know what kind of stations are around relatively quickly but other than it's pretty meh. Plus the fact that you can't Hyper Jump to anywhere but the central star. It would be nice if they let you jump to any body above a certain size within a system. That way you couldn't jump to a tiny planet or station directly, but a secondary star or huge gas giant would be possible, cutting back on the time needed to travel at least a little bit.

Hoffers-Wake1.jpg

Now that have a working flight stick again I need to reinstall this gem. I loved this so much. Newtonian physics was so much fun.

Edit: Googling shows they actually had a similar setup in development previously. Wonder if it's scrapped or still in the works. I hope it is as it's way better looking but at least for me far more useful as well.

I really hate the System Map in ED. I wish they could having something like I-War 2, which would actually show you the position of planets and stars in their current location, which would be very useful for exploration.

The current one is OK for letting you know what kind of stations are around relatively quickly but other than it's pretty meh. Plus the fact that you can't Hyper Jump to anywhere but the central star. It would be nice if they let you jump to any body above a certain size within a system. That way you couldn't jump to a tiny planet or station directly, but a secondary star or huge gas giant would be possible, cutting back on the time needed to travel at least a little bit.

Now that have a working flight stick again I need to reinstall this gem. I loved this so much. Newtonian physics was so much fun.

Edit: Googling shows they actually had a similar setup in development previously. Wonder if it's scrapped or still in the works. I hope it is as it's way better looking but at least for me far more useful as well.

IIRC the Orrery view is planned

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Awwww yesss. This is one thing i've been wanting -- Trying to discover planets in an unexplored system sucks if you don't have even a basic idea of where they might be.

For no good reason I tried to explore a couple and trying to differentiate the vague glimmer of light from a nearby star or planet and one of the thousands in the background is kind of really freaking hard.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Awwww yesss. This is one thing i've been wanting -- Trying to discover planets in an unexplored system sucks if you don't have even a basic idea of where they might be.

Discovery scanner pings all the planets in the system and puts them on your radar.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think that's only if they're in range of the scanner?

Starviper

I think that's only if they're in range of the scanner?

This. I mean, I could get a better scanner, but like someone else said trying to see the non-static objects in a given systems background really sucks if you only got a basic scanner.

And even with an advanced one, you still might not be able to discover everything by scanning right next to the sun. Some systems have multiple suns.

For no good reason I tried to explore a couple and trying to differentiate the vague glimmer of light from a nearby star or planet and one of the thousands in the background is kind of really freaking hard.

That's what the discovery scanner is for! Though it doesn't help so much when the next object is SUPER far, unless you have an upgraded one.

You can use it in supercruise, too! I abuse the hell out of it just to listen to the sound effect, haha.

EDIT: Ah, I see. I can't find it now, but someone had a good guide on navigating/finding hidden planets by using the system view as a guide and then searching in supercruise.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

CzarTim

For some reason I cannot retract my hardpoints. I've tried restarting and changing the keybindings, to no avail. Any ideas?

edit: turned off fire to deploy hardpoints and it fixed it. weird!

JINYX

Neo Member
TIL that the best and fastest way to get USS's is slowing down to 30km/s then just waiting for them to come to you basically. They spawn in safe disengage range so it's simple. Bit cheesy but I'll take it, those things are annoying.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
TIL that the best and fastest way to get USS's is slowing down to 30km/s then just waiting for them to come to you basically. They spawn in safe disengage range so it's simple. Bit cheesy but I'll take it, those things are annoying.

iiiinteresting

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Not sure its been mentionned here for supercruise travelling. I know the trick of having the throttle at roughly the middle of the blue bar is very popular early on but, actually, you're wasting time (unless you really want to be in automatic mode), and you increase the risks of being interdicted. Go max speed until the distance of the place you want to go to is a factor of 10 of your speed, for example, if i go at 50c, i want to throttle down when the distance is 500Ls. At this point you could put the throttle in the middle of the blue zone and you would end up just fine in speed/approach. You can also be a bit more agressive and linearly drop the throttle as the distance approaches and even have a smaller ratio than 10.

Haly

It takes foreveeeer.

I find it easier to just break at some point before the station, overshoot it, then slow down on the reverse rather than microing my speed in multiples of 5 or 10 or whatever.

Sinatar

Not sure its been mentionned here for supercruise travelling. I know the trick of having the throttle at roughly the middle of the blue bar is very popular early on but, actually, you're wasting time (unless you really want to be in automatic mode), and you increase the risks of being interdicted. Go max speed until the distance of the place you want to go to is a factor of 10 of your speed, for example, if i go at 50c, i want to throttle down when the distance is 500Ls. At this point you could put the throttle in the middle of the blue zone and you would end up just fine in speed/approach. You can also be a bit more agressive and linearly drop the throttle as the distance approaches and even have a smaller ratio than 10.

Even easier is to just go full throttle until you're 7 seconds from the target, then throttle to the blue. Doesn't matter if you're going 10c of 1500c, this never fails.

^^^^

Sinatar you son of a bitch!

I just wait for it to be at 7 seconds then go blue, works pretty well.

Haly

Even easier is to just go full throttle until you're 7 seconds from the target, then throttle to the blue. Doesn't matter if you're going 10c of 1500c, this never fails.

The secret to E:D travel, unveiled! What does the blue bar represent anyway?

Despera

Banned
I also did the overshoot then u-turn trick... guess I'll try out the 7 seconds one and see how that works out.

Also, I definitely need to get hold of a KWS.

The secret to E:D travel, unveiled! What does the blue bar represent anyway?
Cruising within the blue region automatically adjusts your speed based on target distance.

Sinatar

What does the blue bar represent anyway?

It's the 'sweet spot' on your throttle. In supercruise it acts like an autopilot, when you're in the blue your ships computer will manage your speed to get you to safe disengage distance of your target. In normal flight it represents the speed that gives your ship it's optimal turn radius.

Sinatar

Shit that sounds like it'll make travel nice haha. 7 seconds, huh? What if 8? Will I have to rethrottle?

Nah, 8 is fine, 7 is just the point where you're ship will start naturally slowing down to hit safe disengage, if you go blue before that you'll notice the autopilot briefly increase your speed before slowing down. 7 seconds is the most efficient point. Don't go beyond that though, 6 seconds and lower and you'll probably overshoot.

out of curiosity, can i relocate ships? i bought a hauler and was going to keep my sidewinder, but i plan on jumping around to empire controlled space and if i'm never gonna make it back then i guess i should sell it?

JINYX

Neo Member
Just logged in and see Ho Hsi Corp is at 50% and Jet Comm is 48%! Dammit! :(

Also the economy took a massive nose dive. Last night consumer tech and gold were amazing resources to buy there as they were cheap and you could sell them for a big profit. Now all of a sudden they have a want for both.

Klyka

Banned
Just logged in and see Ho Hsi Corp is at 50% and Jet Comm is 48%! Dammit! :(

Gentlemen, we need to change approach!

What we need to do is do missions in Hand Ring. Of course ONLY missions issued by Jet Comms. Doing missions for Jet Comms in the enemies stronghold will strengthen Jet Comms grip. You will also see you get a LOT better missions in the big station than at the smaller outposts.

Won

Looks like my stick might not arrive by tomorrow, which means my christmas is ruined!! Game is fun so far, but I don't want to continue till the stick arrives. :(

What we need to do is do missions in Hand Ring. Of course ONLY missions issued by Jet Comms. Doing missions for Jet Comms in the enemies stronghold will strengthen Jet Comms grip. You will also see you get a LOT better missions in the big station than at the smaller outposts.

How do we get into Hand Ring without being blown to bits? Some of us have, uh, bounties.

So is it easy to get rank in Federation by doing bounties? I'm in Federation controlled space, so they should be WANTED by the Federation, but I just want to check because my rank hasn't changed at all yet.

owlbeak

You got it!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
How do we get into Hand Ring without being blown to bits? Some of us have, uh, bounties.

Maybe buy the cheapest ship possible, then have a friend join your game and kill you in it to claim the bounty? Basically just switch to that ship and get killed whenever you need a clean slate for a few hundred credits insurance cost, and your friend gets whatever bounty you've racked up.
(This also seems like it would be a great way to give an instant massive boost to new players if it works)

Zero-sum, got it. Hand Ring here we come.

Protip: cycle solo/group/multi game modes to refresh your mission list without leaving Hand Ring. (saw it on reddit)

Starviper

Very interesting, it makes sense.

Setre

Did some exploring and found some unexplored areas. Didn't realize I couldn't sale the data unless I was a certain distance away from where I found it. Started doing random delivery missions and eventually went far enough away to where I could sale some of my stuff. Got a bounty as well so I made extra cash.

Still in my Sidewinder but I'm getting the hang of things now and money. What would be a good ship to bounty hunt / explore / and maybe mine with?

owlbeak

What are thoughts on the Adder? I'd like a ship that has more cargo than the Sidewinder, but is not a sitting duck out there. I have the cash for it now. Decent cargo space, same speed and maneuverability as the Sidewinder it seems, with an extra hardpoint for a cannon.

Worth the buy if I'm mostly doing trading and exploring with some Sidewinder-Eagle-Cobra bounty hunting on the side? Or keep saving for the Cobra Mk III?

Ugh I just did one of those bring us X missions where I had to go 10 or so jumps from the origin and when I finally picked it up and turned around I went to check the name of the destination and accidentally cancelled the mission.

To top it off I could've made the same cash in a five minute trade run but I was being nice..

JambiBum

I'm going to check my gold route in a moment, and if you guys ruined it, I'm going to have to start cashing in on some of these Ho Hsi bounties you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom