• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Even easier is to just go full throttle until you're 7 seconds from the target, then throttle to the blue. Doesn't matter if you're going 10c of 1500c, this never fails.

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

Thanks

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm going to check my gold route in a moment, and if you guys ruined it, I'm going to have to start cashing in on some of these Ho Hsi bounties you have.

The economy was fixed in the patch today.

The reason Ho Hsi had so much gold is because the AI would never stop bringing it in even after demand was sated.

Now it has a correct cut off.

JambiBum

The economy was fixed in the patch today.

The reason Ho Hsi had so much gold is because the AI would never stop bringing it in even after demand was sated.

Now it has a correct cut off.

I had a different route that I was using than most of the people in the thread. I wasn't trading within Ho Hsi like everyone else was and I was making exponentially more profit. Someone else found another route for me thankfully.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Update notes (server side):

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83374

Hot-fixes from over the weekend:

- When a distributed transaction fails in a certain way, make sure the servers roll back such that Commanders' credit balances should be added to, even if we might have failed to remove the item they were selling
- Significantly reduce the number '499' timeout errors triggered when Commanders travel to certain types of star systems.
- Improve the 'stuck cargo' cleaning check when a Commander first logs in
- Fix a bug preventing some people logging into the Companion app

Today's changes:

- Fixed a bug that was sometimes causing a market to flip from being a net consumer to a net producer when the AI traders supplied significantly more into that market than the market demands. This will mean that many commodities currently listed at a low level of 'demand' will revert back to the 'not interested' price, as they should have been.

- Fixed a small set of bugs that were working together to cause the AI traders to significantly over supply an import market in a specific set of circumstances.

This bug fix will increase the demand numbers being offered to Commanders for consumed commodities where there isn't a large exporting market nearby supplying that demand.
Where large exporting markets are nearby, the AI traders will now respect their import caps and leave some demand for Commanders.
In that situation, the exporting markets should see a slightly increased level of supply available for Commanders to purchase.

These bug fixes together should also sort out some of the 'backwards' trade route data over the next day or so when the data next update.

For the trading the changes in demand should propagate quickly but for the trade routes may take a day or so. This has uncovered an issue with split markets stacking rather than being netter out, although this effect is minor compared to the previous issue. We'll then record the stats over Christmas to identify what further tweaks are needed.

Thanks!

Jedi2016

Anyone else having an issue where the docking bay number fails to appear, or disappears for a moment while you're approaching? I've also had a couple instances where I approach the designated docking bay, but it never brings up the landing interface, and I'm not able to dock. Even if I land on the pad, it won't actually dock, the ship just sits there.

Wreav

Banned
What are thoughts on the Adder?

Adder is awesome. I used it as my in-between ship for the Winder and the Cobra. Made about 400k in it and never died once, even without upgrading the guns. I upgraded it to 12T of cargo room, and a much nicer FSD drive, my favorite ship as of yet. Even took down an Anaconda with her (with the help of a few local sec forces). Very, very capable.

Anyone else having an issue where the docking bay number fails to appear, or disappears for a moment while you're approaching? I've also had a couple instances where I approach the designated docking bay, but it never brings up the landing interface, and I'm not able to dock. Even if I land on the pad, it won't actually dock, the ship just sits there.

Known bug.

Raticus79

I started off using pen and paper but now I've migrated to this handy little program:

Cmdr's Log Utility

It's worked wonders for trading, and it allows me to do what I was essentially doing by hand but better and quicker. I'm still keeping some notes on a pad but not much now. Once I get my Asp and get out exploring deep space I'll be using the utility to keep track of which systems I've explored.

Ah, thanks. Good idea there of using supply/demand levels instead of prices. I'll try it out to see how it holds up.

And just in case anyone is confused, these are all server side.
Oh yeah, good point. Added a note.

*sigh*
I need a new video card. I play exclusively with the Roft, and anything short of 75fps on that is unacceptable. I'd like to play on Medium, or even high, but I need a card to play at 75fps first and foremost.

I cant pay $500 for a card, I can tell you that right now. What should I be looking at? I'm an AMD guy thus far, so dont feel limited to expensive ass nVidia.

If you're quick enough nothing will happen.

Yeah, I've managed to get into a station once without being scanned--lucked out, as no station security was nearby.

I wonder: if station security DOES start to scan you, is it at all possible to boost the fuck out of there and survive?

I'm also flying back home for the holidays tomorrow, so planning on going on an Elite "bender" tonight, after I finish the rest of my work/packing. I shall miss it.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Any tips for finding black boxes? Feels like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack out here :/

Just head to a planet and stop at every USS and lock onto whatever is in the vicinity. If it's not a Black Box, engage FSD and look for the next USS until you need to head to another planet within the system. It's hit and miss, I've found one straight away and others after half a dozen stops.

Raticus79

Neat, I just got my invitation to Sol. It showed up as "Federal Invitation". I got it while at Midshipman rank.

*sigh*
I need a new video card. I play exclusively with the Roft, and anything short of 75fps on that is unacceptable. I'd like to play on Medium, or even high, but I need a card to play at 75fps first and foremost.

I cant pay $500 for a card, I can tell you that right now. What should I be looking at? I'm an AMD guy thus far, so dont feel limited to expensive ass nVidia.

R9 290X and GTX 970 are both around $350 and will easily max out this game at 100+ FPS.

Corgi

Banned
finally have time to dig into this (most i got done with the tutorials before) after finishing up some other games i want done.

Whats a good 'starting guide'? Spend 15min flying between star systems... and realize the algae i bought for a mission was a 'charity' work and didn't get paid >.<"

Feel like im not doing stuff right lol. hmmm.

Jedi2016

Known bug.
Cool, thanks. I just hadn't seen any mention of it. And I'd been playing for a while, I find it odd that something like this would suddenly appear right at launch, I hadn't seen it before. Ah, well. As long as they know about it, they'll fix it. Good enough for me.

FatboyTim

Anyone know where there are any High Conflict Zones to go to?

Well, the slaves in Sorbago are still revolting!

Combat aplenty, and if you join the side of the Imperials [declare for the Mastopolos Mining Incorporated faction upon entry] you can claim 3,000c in Combat Bonds per kill, at the nearby terminal.

As well has a High Intensity Conflict Zone, there is also a Capital Ship zone that works in the same way.

HelloMeow

Yeah, I've managed to get into a station once without being scanned--lucked out, as no station security was nearby.

I wonder: if station security DOES start to scan you, is it at all possible to boost the fuck out of there and survive?

I'm also flying back home for the holidays tomorrow, so planning on going on an Elite "bender" tonight, after I finish the rest of my work/packing. I shall miss it.

Just get into the station as fast as possible, even if they start scanning you. They'll stop scanning if you're inside.

If you're hostile, system security will attack when they see you, but they can't harm you when you're inside a station.

Bastos

My X52 Pro arrived today! Really enjoying it. The only problem now is that I don't know what the hell I should be doing in Elite.

Just get into the station as fast as possible, even if they start scanning you. They'll stop scanning if you're inside.

If you're hostile, system security will attack when they see you, but they can't harm you when you're inside a station.

I'm mostly worried about the Death Star laser from the station itself D:

I'll try tonight, though! I'm pretty comfortable with docking, I'll just try it...fast...this time.

And I suppose I should boost the hell out of the station to prevent being scanned on my way out, too, yeah?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So... I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I had switched to my Asp for bounty hunting purposes and left myself enough cash to pay for my insurance. Once.

So I just killed myself by ramming into a type 9 coming through the docking ring like a complete fucking rube. I now have essentially no money. If I die again, I'm back to square one in a starter sidewinder.

So....

I can either sell my Asp for a Type 6 and go back to hauling cargo.
Sell it for a Viper and kit that Viper out to the 9's and keep bounty hunting.
Or keep the Asp (and a set of swinging brass balls) and keep at it hoping I don't die again until I get enough cash for insurance.

Decisions decisions.

Anybody else using the Oculus Rift fly into a gas giant at X times the speed of light? I found the experience legitimately horrifying. I'm honestly having to psyche myself up to do it again.

Lime

Any resources or links to get oneself introduced and immersed into the lore/story/plot? Or is it bare-bones or silly trash?

JambiBum

So... I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I had switched to my Asp for bounty hunting purposes and left myself enough cash to pay for my insurance. Once.

So I just killed myself by ramming into a type 9 coming through the docking ring like a complete fucking rube. I now have essentially no money. If I die again, I'm back to square one in a starter sidewinder.

So....

I can either sell my Asp for a Type 6 and go back to hauling cargo.
Sell it for a Viper and kit that Viper out to the 9's and keep bounty hunting.
Or keep the Asp (and a set of swinging brass balls) and keep at it hoping I don't die again until I get enough cash for insurance.

Decisions decisions.

The 200k loan isn't enough to cover the asp right? If not I'd probably just do so missions until I had enough to cover the insurance costs including the loan.

Any resources or links to get oneself introduced and immersed into the lore/story/plot? Or is it bare-bones or silly trash?

The pilots guide has a lore section: http://www.scribd.com/doc/236560722/Elite-Dangerous-pilots-guide-manual-tutorial

However, the lore is very much treated like the "real world". Groups of players can steadily influence things and, presumably, take part in larger conflicts as they come about, but it seems like you're a small part of an overall "machine".

As for the overall narrative, AFAIK, it's just getting started. There is a slave rebellion in Sorbago going on at the moment and that's the current "big" event. There are also daily news updates (for example, the current emperor has recently chosen a bride...not a big deal but maybe could have political implications down the line?).

Sinatar

The 200k loan isn't enough to cover the asp right? If not I'd probably just do so missions until I had enough to cover the insurance costs including the loan.

My Asp was worth 12 million with mods, so insurance was considerably more then 200k.

I decided to try a viper out. You know, this ship is pretty damn impressive for the cost. Granted I've got all A class modules on it, but I don't feel gimped at all compared to the Asp, and the extra speed and manueverability is actually a boon.

It's also nice to not pull a 40k repair bill every time someone interdicts you and does 2% hull damage.

JambiBum

My Asp was worth 12 million with mods, so insurance was considerably more then 200k.

I decided to try a viper out. You know, this ship is pretty damn impressive for the cost. Granted I've got all A class modules on it, but I don't feel gimped at all compared to the Asp, and the extra speed and manueverability is actually a boon.

It's also nice to not pull a 40k repair bill every time someone interdicts you and does 2% hull damage.

I don't even want to know what some of the repairs/insurance costs are for the ships that ar more expensive than the Asp.

JambiBum

So I've gotten a few friends to pick this up because of how much I talk about it. They like it but I have realized that one is basically the poster child for why games introduce in app purchases for short cutting the "grind". Every chance he gets he just asks if there is a way he can take out a loan to buy a new ship or if he can just pay real money to buy whatever he wants. I didn't actually realize that there were people who enjoyed doing that. I guess it makes sense though since the system works for some games.

Sinatar

Man how many missions do I gotta run for Jet Comms before they'll trust me with their restricted missions?

I want to help you Jet Comm, why won't you let me help you?

JINYX

Neo Member
Every chance he gets he just asks if there is a way he can take out a loan to buy a new ship or if he can just pay real money to buy whatever he wants.

Can you imagine if it did?

"Whoo, I just paid 100$ and got an Anaconda!1!1!"

*instantly crashes into docking bay trying to leave; doesn't have enough to cover rebuy costs.

Starviper

I keep gaining / losing friendly status with Jet Comms Limited.. Not failing any missions for them, what gives? I've declined missions, is that why? If so, that's not explained at all :(

JambiBum

Can you imagine if it did?

"Whoo, I just paid 100$ and got an Anaconda!1!1!"

*instantly crashes into docking bay trying to leave; doesn't have enough to cover rebuy costs.
That would be so good. I mean it's basically what SC is doing with the limited months of insurance.

bigjig

Just head to a planet and stop at every USS and lock onto whatever is in the vicinity. If it's not a Black Box, engage FSD and look for the next USS until you need to head to another planet within the system. It's hit and miss, I've found one straight away and others after half a dozen stops.

Yeah I guess that's the only way to do it. Thanks anyway.

onken

So if I buy an upgrade module for a ship, like a weapon or an utility - can I take that module with me to use on my next ship when I upgrade? Or I do have to re-buy for each ship?

JambiBum

So if I buy an upgrade module for a ship, like a weapon or an utility - can I take that module with me to use on my next ship when I upgrade? Or I do have to re-buy for each ship?
Rebuy, but if you wish to sell your old ship you will get the value of whatever you upgraded on it.

Also, after playing around with a lot of different weapons, I still really like using the torpedo. It just does so much damage to everything that I end up missing it when I'm not using it. Even if ammo does cost 15k.

onken

Rebuy, but if you wish to sell your old ship you will get the value of whatever you upgraded on it.

Also, after playing around with a lot of different weapons, I still really like using the torpedo. It just does so much damage to everything that I end up missing it when I'm not using it. Even if ammo does cost 15k.

Boo. What % of the value do you get for part-ex?

Successfully made it into Hand Ring without being scanned!

A single 5k jet comm mission awaited me :-|

EDIT: Oh wow, kudos to whoever suggested switching back and forth between Solo and Open Play. Tons of missions now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom